Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Expo

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 510 votes, 4.93 average.
Unread 11-07-2012, 06:52 PM   #1066
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident-chick View Post
few of the gathering pictures,were telling us we couldn't use the top tier of the stairs during some shots and made us squish onto the bottom.He was even telling us we might need to leave altogether because it was too loud.

There was easily over 1,000 people there that day.
Yeah and if you remember the only reason the gatherings were held there in the first place was because the staff was not forthcoming when asked for the places that large gatherings could, or should, be held. We pretty much had to come up with all that on our own.

I did find this document that describes what a 501(c)(6) is allowed to do (or not do). Perhaps they had no choice but to deny the panel(?) #4, #5, #6 below.

http://www.williamskeepers.com/Docum...anizations.pdf

Characteristic #1 – It must be an association of persons having some common business interest and its purpose must be to promote this common business interest.

Characteristic #2 – It must be a membership organization and have a meaningful extent of membership support.

Characteristic #3 – It must not be organized for profit.

Characteristic #4 – No part of its net earnings may inure to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual.

Characteristic #5 – Its activities must be directed to the improvement of business conditions of one or more lines of business as distinguished from the performance of particular services for individual persons.

Characteristic #6 – Its primary activity does not consist of performing particular services for individual persons; and

Characteristic #7 – Its purpose must not be to engage in a regular business of a kind ordinarily carried on for profit, even if the business is operated on a cooperative basis or produces only sufficient income to be selfsustaining.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-08-2012, 09:53 PM   #1067
El_Duque
miyoshi82

Well it seems AX 2013 is off to the usual slow bad start with GoHs.

http://www.anime-expo.org/guests/ani...r-for-ax-2013/
Interested in joining our ranks? Click on the links above.

Youtube
Twitter
Con History
Anime Los Angeles 2011-2013, 2015
Anime Expo 2006-2011, 2015
Wondercon - 2013, 2015
San Diego Comic Con 1994-present
Comikaze Expo 2011, 2013-present
Long Beach Comic Con 2009-2012
Anime Conji 2010-present
Hanadoki Con - 2015
El_Duque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2012, 11:24 PM   #1068
Freight
Rolling 20's Podcast Host

Well, he's a voice actor in two very popular series... but he's not my cup o' tea.
Freight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2012, 11:45 PM   #1069
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:

Good gosh...They really need to get better writers for their announcements.

"ANIME EXPO TRUMPETS TO THE HEAVENS" ?!!!
Hakaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2012, 02:38 AM   #1070
Resident-chick
Pineapple pizza sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Access View Post
Yeah and if you remember the only reason the gatherings were held there in the first place was because the staff was not forthcoming when asked for the places that large gatherings could, or should, be held. We pretty much had to come up with all that on our own .

We did take charge, infact we moved our location three or four times during the time we had planned for the gathering.In an orderly (or from here I was) fashion we walked from the front entrance, down stairs by the smallish are on the right where the Angel Beats! Gathering was held then back up and all the way to the West hall.Im pretty sure the host knew there were going to be alot of people that day but I don't think they were prepaid for such a dramatic leap of population..Still, only Characteristics #2 and #5 really apply to them.2 because it wasn't an orginization at all, just a fan-friendly panel with cosplayers asking and replying to the con-goers questions and 5 because they wernt trying to target at one group/audience of people.They wernt making any profit either..I think it was just how many people showed up at the gathering that word got around pretty fast to the staffers and knowing they couldn't hands these many people automatically shut the panel to prevent problems.Just kinnda irks me that people took the time to rehearse and apply for a spot as a character in a very anticipated event only to get shut down like that.Marc Perez gets to have basically a roast panel about himself and doesnt even show.I bet if they knew they were going to have such a big crowd of people like that at HIS panel,Marc would have cared SO much about to not only get a bigger room,but actually go to it.Then again,maybe not since he doesn't care about things like that,example as;He supposedly never showed up at AX. It wasn't that long either,we were still doing beta or group shots when I heard we got cancled too ..

Last edited by Resident-chick : 11-09-2012 at 02:42 AM.
Resident-chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2012, 02:45 AM   #1071
Resident-chick
Pineapple pizza sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Duque View Post

I just want some decent to come..
Unread 11-09-2012, 03:59 AM   #1072
Access

Quote:
Still, only Characteristics #2 and #5 really apply to them.2 because it wasn't an orginization at all, just a fan-friendly panel with cosplayers asking and replying to the con-goers questions and 5 because they wernt trying to target at one group/audience of people.They wernt making any profit either..I think it was just how many people showed up at the gathering that word got around pretty fast to the staffers and knowing they couldn't hands these many people automatically shut the panel to prevent problems.Just kinnda irks me that people took the time to rehearse and apply for a spot as a character in a very anticipated event only to get shut down
(1) Their common business interest may anime, manga, japan music industry and so on, not webcomic. Webcomic did not really exist at the time the SPJA was founded 20 or so years ago. (4,5) A panel that focuses on an individual webcomic and excludes others, rather than webcomics in general. That would be my best guess, at least.

As for taking charge, one of my past jobs we had the motto "lead, follow, or get out of the way". Meaning, if you can't/won't/don't take charge, someone else will; and then, if you are not part of their team, you need to learn to stand aside and let them do their job. Not try to interfere or attempt to engage in cross-management. I think this applies perfectly, I mean, when we asked for an appropriate place to hold large gatherings, the best answer we could get out of anyone was 'no comment'. So we had no choice but to take a leadership position and try to figure out spot(s) based on whatever information we could find. At that point, it's kinda rude for someone to step in at the last minute and insist "you can't be there" or "you can't do this".
Unread 11-09-2012, 10:58 AM   #1073
Resident-chick
Pineapple pizza sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Access View Post
(1) Webcomic did not really exist at the time the SPJA was founded 20 or so years ago.
I must admit this is true, of course I wasnt alive 20 years ago and still really have no proof that webcomics were even out yet.Even as a webcomic, it's still a comic.And the SPJA doesn't/ didn't support that slot of media back then. People always no matter what will come to cons dressed up at as different media besides anime, manga and J-pop/K-pop, that's just a fact.Thats why things like video game premiers, movies and shows don't get broadcasted here.E3 and Sandiego Comic Com holds that place and Anime Expo specifically anime releases.I do wish of course that they would showcase more premires after being known as "The largest anime convention in the north." And possibly America.

Quote:
At that point, it's kinda rude for someone to step in at the last minute and insist "you can't be there" or "you can't do this".
This is true and not even with just the HS gathering but the Soul eater one as well. The Soul Eater gathering was going to be held on the West Hall entrance stairs (Since last year it was held outside but do to X-games little mini-skate area for children, It was being held inside.)As far as I believed, no one was going in and out from thoses doors.I even asked a staffer just to make sure and he said it was totally fine as long as we weren't running up and down the stairs too much.So I went to go fix my hair in the bathroom for not even give minutes and when we got back, the gathering had already started and in the small hall all the way to the right when you first enter.I had asked my co-host what happend and she said that another man had told them we had to move because X-games fans were starting to (of course not for free) come into AX and that we would all be stretched across the doors unable to let anyone in) come inside.Not only was it hard to properly get photos unless you were already downstairs or leaning over the balcony above.I just found it rather odd one man said it was totally fine, no one was walking in and out, then someone else comes and told us no.

Last edited by Resident-chick : 11-09-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Resident-chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2012, 01:38 PM   #1074
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
I do wish of course that they would showcase more premires after being known as "The largest anime convention in the north." And possibly America.
They probably couldn't show as many premieres as before, because they were seriously cutting back, and they were still in heavy debt. I felt like 2012 was a "barebones" con, compared to the previous years. In the past, when times was better at AX, you would get all sorts of swag at AX when you got the program guides. Not so with this year. (At the San Diego Comic Con, the number of swags that you could get at the Dealer's Room/Exhibit Hall, could be measured in pounds. Some were even offering free action figures, comics & DVD.)

Their current claim is that AX is the largest anime convention in America. But Anime Expo is the largest anime convention in the United States & Canada ONLY. (They can't make that claim outside of the United States, because there are other anime cons in the international market that beats them by a long shot. If anyone ever brags that they are largest anime con in the world, it's pure bull baloney.)

Before Micheal Lattanzio was removed from the SPJA, he made claims that Anime Expo had over 100,000 attendees during his administration. (He often neglected to mention that he used turnstile numbers instead of unique numbers.) The unique attendance numbers for AX 2012 was 49,400.

Otakon is the 2nd largest anime con in North America. Their attendance numbers for 2012 was 32,574 attendees.

Japan Expo in France had over 165,000 attendees. (And these are all unique numbers, and not turnstile numbers.) Japan Expo is the largest Anime Con in Europe, and they are planning to have a anime con next year in the United States.

Japan Expo's 2013 debut in the U.S. will be on August 23-25 at the Santa Clara Convention center.

The Comiket in Japan draws over 550,000 attendees, so they have the champion title of having the largest numbers of attendees in the world at an anime & manga related event.

Last edited by Hakaider : 11-09-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Unread 11-12-2012, 08:31 AM   #1075
Access

Quote:
I just found it rather odd one man said it was totally fine, no one was walking in and out, then someone else comes and told us no.
It's actually quite common, especially with poorly managed businesses. I think the western saying is 'left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing', which actually comes from the bible, but in the business world, it's obviously a bad thing.
Unread 11-12-2012, 03:57 PM   #1076
Freight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaider View Post
Japan Expo's 2013 debut in the U.S. will be on August 23-25 at the Santa Clara Convention center.
Really? Hmm... That throws a monkey wrench in my plans to cover AM2 for Mission Start. The debut of Japan Expo USA falling on the same weekend is a bit of a blow there.
Unread 11-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #1077
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
Really? Hmm... That throws a monkey wrench in my plans to cover AM2 for Mission Start. The debut of Japan Expo USA falling on the same weekend is a bit of a blow there.

Japan Expo have their own Facebook page now:

https://www.facebook.com/JapanExpoUSA?fref=ts

The news from Anime News Network:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...tion-announced
Unread 11-12-2012, 09:14 PM   #1078
Waifu Beam
emiya plz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaider View Post
My friend and I -WERE- looking forward to attending this, but since it falls the same day as AM2, it's a no go now. Shame. D:

|| FacebookInstagram ||
Waifu Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2012, 11:20 PM   #1079
El_Duque
miyoshi82

I would definitely go to Japan Expo over AM2 in a heart beat. Even though they are internationally well known, who knows if this will be a one year deal like when AX had their event in New York many years ago.
Interested in joining our ranks? Click on the links above.

Youtube
Twitter
Con History
Anime Los Angeles 2011-2013, 2015
Anime Expo 2006-2011, 2015
Wondercon - 2013, 2015
San Diego Comic Con 1994-present
Comikaze Expo 2011, 2013-present
Long Beach Comic Con 2009-2012
Anime Conji 2010-present
Hanadoki Con - 2015
El_Duque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2012, 09:18 AM   #1080
Freight

I'm afraid I'd pick Japan Expo, too. They are a very successful convention in France and they have consistently high-profile guests. As long as they pick the right management and policies for U.S. audiences, then they're likely to succeed and grow.