Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Expo

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 122 votes, 4.75 average.
Unread 11-06-2012, 08:01 AM   #1066
Freight
Rolling 20's Podcast Host

I wasn't looking for a staffer to respond since a lot of the people in this thread have an above-average idea of who Perez does and does not know. And don't misunderstand that I'm sitting just thinking of ways to irritate people. However, this could go a long way to checking which direction the AX is going.

The new names aren't familiar to me, though I wasn't sure if they were people who were brought over from the acquisition of Anime Conji.
Freight is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-06-2012, 09:19 AM   #1067
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freight View Post
The new names aren't familiar to me, though I wasn't sure if they were people who were brought over from the acquisition of Anime Conji.
Pretty sure not, I'm pretty sure there is a staffing requirement of 5-7 years before you can run to be on the Board of Directors (unless that has gone away).

If I remember correctly, some of the Conji staffers, those who have staffed since the beginning (3 years) were/are to be given membership, meaning voting rights, but that's it.

I only recognize one of the new names,
http://animecons.com/guests/bio.shtm.../Emiko_Kiyochi
you can google them all, though.
Access is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2012, 12:16 PM   #1068
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
And don't misunderstand that I'm sitting just thinking of ways to irritate people. However, this could go a long way to checking which direction the AX is going.
Of course not, Freight. I do sincerely believe that you would be one of the last people on Earth who would want to irritate people intentionally in this matter. We voice our concerns here because we both are concerned about the future of AX, since we both have been there since the beginning of AX in 1992/1993.

Quote:
I only recognize one of the new names,
http://animecons.com/guests/bio.shtm.../Emiko_Kiyochi
you can google them all, though.
Hmmm...I have to admit that I haven't heard of her before. According to the info above, she's a Japanese language teacher for Irvine Valley College, and she has appeared as a guest of honor for AnimeConji in 2012.
Hakaider is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2012, 03:51 PM   #1069
Freight

Kris, you managed to correct the SPJA's red ink? Good job! I've been checking non-profit registries, but I haven't been able to get a copy of the 990 form for the 2011 fiscal year.
Unread 11-06-2012, 04:00 PM   #1070
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freight View Post
Kris, you managed to correct the SPJA's red ink? Good job! I've been checking non-profit registries, but I haven't been able to get a copy of the 990 form for the 2011 fiscal year.
The forms are always roughly 2 years behind. The 2010 form came out around March, you can expect the 2011 form to become available around the same time next year.

Guidestar typically gets the forms first, but you have to register to access or download them (it's free though). https://www.guidestar.org/ Other sites like foundationcenter get them a few months later.
Unread 11-06-2012, 07:28 PM   #1071
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
Kris, you managed to correct the SPJA's red ink? Good job!
That he did. And as a reward for balancing the books, they booted Kris out during the election.
Unread 11-07-2012, 05:02 PM   #1072
Resident-chick
They canceled Ugly Betty

You know one thing that really pissed me off?The fact that Marc Perez had that bad jokes panel and not only didn't he show up to that but the ENTIRE AX as well as far as I know.He got to make that panel but a very big fan-favorite panel (Let Me Tell You About Homestuck!) was canceled due to "Overrouty popularity" judging only by what they say at the gathering on day 2.Yes, there were ALOT of people with some even leaving but alot of them weren't playing to go regardless.One staffer whom is shown in quite a few of the gathering pictures,were telling us we couldn't use the top tier of the stairs during some shots and made us squish onto the bottom.He was even telling us we might need to leave altogether because it was too loud.

There was easily over 1,000 people there that day.
Book of Life- La Muerte- 0%
Nightvale- Welcome to Nightvale- 0%
Resident-chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2012, 06:52 PM   #1073
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident-chick View Post
few of the gathering pictures,were telling us we couldn't use the top tier of the stairs during some shots and made us squish onto the bottom.He was even telling us we might need to leave altogether because it was too loud.

There was easily over 1,000 people there that day.
Yeah and if you remember the only reason the gatherings were held there in the first place was because the staff was not forthcoming when asked for the places that large gatherings could, or should, be held. We pretty much had to come up with all that on our own.

I did find this document that describes what a 501(c)(6) is allowed to do (or not do). Perhaps they had no choice but to deny the panel(?) #4, #5, #6 below.

http://www.williamskeepers.com/Docum...anizations.pdf

Characteristic #1 – It must be an association of persons having some common business interest and its purpose must be to promote this common business interest.

Characteristic #2 – It must be a membership organization and have a meaningful extent of membership support.

Characteristic #3 – It must not be organized for profit.

Characteristic #4 – No part of its net earnings may inure to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual.

Characteristic #5 – Its activities must be directed to the improvement of business conditions of one or more lines of business as distinguished from the performance of particular services for individual persons.

Characteristic #6 – Its primary activity does not consist of performing particular services for individual persons; and

Characteristic #7 – Its purpose must not be to engage in a regular business of a kind ordinarily carried on for profit, even if the business is operated on a cooperative basis or produces only sufficient income to be selfsustaining.
Unread 11-08-2012, 09:53 PM   #1074
El_Duque
miyoshi82

Well it seems AX 2013 is off to the usual slow bad start with GoHs.

http://www.anime-expo.org/guests/ani...r-for-ax-2013/
Twitter
2014 Possible Cons
Anime Conji - Done
Wondercon - Did not attend
Anime Expo - Did not attend
San Diego Comic Con
Comikaze Expo
Long Beach Comic Con
Pacific Media Expo
El_Duque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2012, 11:24 PM   #1075
Freight

Well, he's a voice actor in two very popular series... but he's not my cup o' tea.
Unread 11-08-2012, 11:45 PM   #1076
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:

Good gosh...They really need to get better writers for their announcements.

"ANIME EXPO TRUMPETS TO THE HEAVENS" ?!!!
Unread 11-09-2012, 02:38 AM   #1077
Resident-chick
They canceled Ugly Betty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Access View Post
Yeah and if you remember the only reason the gatherings were held there in the first place was because the staff was not forthcoming when asked for the places that large gatherings could, or should, be held. We pretty much had to come up with all that on our own .

We did take charge, infact we moved our location three or four times during the time we had planned for the gathering.In an orderly (or from here I was) fashion we walked from the front entrance, down stairs by the smallish are on the right where the Angel Beats! Gathering was held then back up and all the way to the West hall.Im pretty sure the host knew there were going to be alot of people that day but I don't think they were prepaid for such a dramatic leap of population..Still, only Characteristics #2 and #5 really apply to them.2 because it wasn't an orginization at all, just a fan-friendly panel with cosplayers asking and replying to the con-goers questions and 5 because they wernt trying to target at one group/audience of people.They wernt making any profit either..I think it was just how many people showed up at the gathering that word got around pretty fast to the staffers and knowing they couldn't hands these many people automatically shut the panel to prevent problems.Just kinnda irks me that people took the time to rehearse and apply for a spot as a character in a very anticipated event only to get shut down like that.Marc Perez gets to have basically a roast panel about himself and doesnt even show.I bet if they knew they were going to have such a big crowd of people like that at HIS panel,Marc would have cared SO much about to not only get a bigger room,but actually go to it.Then again,maybe not since he doesn't care about things like that,example as;He supposedly never showed up at AX. It wasn't that long either,we were still doing beta or group shots when I heard we got cancled too ..

Last edited by Resident-chick : 11-09-2012 at 02:42 AM.
Unread 11-09-2012, 02:45 AM   #1078
Resident-chick
They canceled Ugly Betty

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Duque View Post

I just want some decent to come..
Unread 11-09-2012, 03:59 AM   #1079
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident-chick View Post
Still, only Characteristics #2 and #5 really apply to them.2 because it wasn't an orginization at all, just a fan-friendly panel with cosplayers asking and replying to the con-goers questions and 5 because they wernt trying to target at one group/audience of people.They wernt making any profit either..I think it was just how many people showed up at the gathering that word got around pretty fast to the staffers and knowing they couldn't hands these many people automatically shut the panel to prevent problems.Just kinnda irks me that people took the time to rehearse and apply for a spot as a character in a very anticipated event only to get shut down
(1) Their common business interest may anime, manga, japan music industry and so on, not webcomic. Webcomic did not really exist at the time the SPJA was founded 20 or so years ago. (4,5) A panel that focuses on an individual webcomic and excludes others, rather than webcomics in general. That would be my best guess, at least.

As for taking charge, one of my past jobs we had the motto "lead, follow, or get out of the way". Meaning, if you can't/won't/don't take charge, someone else will; and then, if you are not part of their team, you need to learn to stand aside and let them do their job. Not try to interfere or attempt to engage in cross-management. I think this applies perfectly, I mean, when we asked for an appropriate place to hold large gatherings, the best answer we could get out of anyone was 'no comment'. So we had no choice but to take a leadership position and try to figure out spot(s) based on whatever information we could find. At that point, it's kinda rude for someone to step in at the last minute and insist "you can't be there" or "you can't do this".
Unread 11-09-2012, 10:58 AM   #1080
Resident-chick
They canceled Ugly Betty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Access View Post
(1) Webcomic did not really exist at the time the SPJA was founded 20 or so years ago.
I must admit this is true, of course I wasnt alive 20 years ago and still really have no proof that webcomics were even out yet.Even as a webcomic, it's still a comic.And the SPJA doesn't/ didn't support that slot of media back then. People always no matter what will come to cons dressed up at as different media besides anime, manga and J-pop/K-pop, that's just a fact.Thats why things like video game premiers, movies and shows don't get broadcasted here.E3 and Sandiego Comic Com holds that place and Anime Expo specifically anime releases.I do wish of course that they would showcase more premires after being known as "The largest anime convention in the north." And possibly America.

Quote:
At that point, it's kinda rude for someone to step in at the last minute and insist "you can't be there" or "you can't do this".
This is true and not even with just the HS gathering but the Soul eater one as well. The Soul Eater gathering was going to be held on the West Hall entrance stairs (Since last year it was held outside but do to X-games little mini-skate area for children, It was being held inside.)As far as I believed, no one was going in and out from thoses doors.I even asked a staffer just to make sure and he said it was totally fine as long as we weren't running up and down the stairs too much.So I went to go fix my hair in the bathroom for not even give minutes and when we got back, the gathering had already started and in the small hall all the way to the right when you first enter.I had asked my co-host what happend and she said that another man had told them we had to move because X-games fans were starting to (of course not for free) come into AX and that we would all be stretched across the doors unable to let anyone in) come inside.Not only was it hard to properly get photos unless you were already downstairs or leaning over the balcony above.I just found it rather odd one man said it was totally fine, no one was walking in and out, then someone else comes and told us no.

Last edited by Resident-chick : 11-09-2012 at 11:02 AM.