Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Expo

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 122 votes, 4.75 average.
Unread 01-02-2013, 02:58 AM   #1126
Access

I think flying is generally cheaper if it's just you, and you book at the right time, just keep watching the prices starting several months in advance or wait for a special deal or promotion to come up.

If you are driving from the LA area, it's just going to depend on the car you have and how many people you are going with. There are three basic routes involving the 5, 15 (crossing over to the 5 once you get out of LA), and 101, in good weather the 5 route through the Grapevine and Pacheco Pass will probably be the quickest unless you are starting from eastern LA county. It's not a horrible drive, even the most time consuming route up the 101 takes maybe 7 hours tops (unless there's weather, bad traffic, etc.)

Also if you are in California the train or bus might be an option, I know there's a route that goes from Union Station to San Jose but I've never taken that one... don't know how efficient or reliable it is.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-02-2013, 08:47 AM   #1127
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
Also if you are in California the train or bus might be an option, I know there's a route that goes from Union Station to San Jose but I've never taken that one... don't know how efficient or reliable it is.
True. There's the Amtrak option for the train as well.

Generally speaking though, it costs more to travel out of state by train than flying. However, travelling within California by train can sometimes be cheaper than flying or even driving. (But that would depend on the season, and the distance.) I've traveled by train before, and I found it to be more pleasant than flying. You have more legroom than a train, you don't have to put your seatbelt on, (Because there is none) you can watch the scenery go by, and you don't have to worry about getting caught in a traffic jam.

But I wouldn't travel out of state by train because it becomes very expensive. (I try to travel by train within short distances only, and LA to San Francisco can be considered short distance by Amtrak.)

A sleeper cabin in a train for long distance trips is essential because it takes 4-5 days, (One way) to travel to the East Coast by train, and some cabins comes with a shower/restroom or there is shared restroom & shower room. (Trust me, you do NOT want to sit in coach for 5 days without a shower, and wearing the same clothes for 5 days.) I had a good friend who traveled once to LA on Amtrak in coach from Washington State for 36 hours, and he told me he would never do it again by coach. He couldn't sleep well in the coach seat, and he felt grimy when he was unable to take a shower, and wearing the same clothes for 36 hours straight. (He traveled in a sleeper cabin afterwards.)

Here's the link to the Amtrak train website:

http://www.amtrak.com/home

Their baggage policy:

http://www.amtrak.com/baggage-policy

Last edited by Hakaider : 01-02-2013 at 08:53 AM.
Hakaider is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 12:12 AM   #1128
animejunkie
Crossplay is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Access View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaider View Post
True. There's the Amtrak option for the train as well.

But I wouldn't travel out of state by train because it becomes very expensive. (I try to travel by train within short distances only, and LA to San Francisco can be considered short distance by Amtrak.)

Here's the link to the Amtrak train website:

http://www.amtrak.com/home

Their baggage policy:

http://www.amtrak.com/baggage-policy
I second that traveling by train within California is also a good option. As of right now the Coast Starlight route that runs from LA all the way up to Seattle would be $108 round trip if you were to take it up to San Jose. Haven't checked airfare lately, but I'm pretty sure that the train would be cheaper. There's also a 10% discount if you are a AAA member as well.

Personally, I would recommend the train for an experience and a very scenic ride. I took the train up to San Jose for Fanime last year and really enjoyed the journey and even though I'm a bigger guy, there was more than enough room in the coach seats. Word of advice though, it takes a little over 11 hours from So Cal to Nor Cal so you might want to add an extra day on each end so that you don't miss any of the convention should you use the train
Sakura Con
Wonder Con
Anime Expo
animejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 01:54 AM   #1129
Citrakite
Journey into a Decade

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Duque View Post
Johnny Yong Bosch now added as a GoH

http://www.anime-expo.org/2012/12/an...or-for-ax2013/
This I'm sort of surprised by. I would Swear he said he'd never come back after the unpleasantness of the last year or two he was a guest with AX.
Anime Expo -Done
Saboten-Con
Tucson Comic-Con
Anime Los Angeles

"Kilts were of course everyday wear. In battle we'd don full length sequin gowns to blind our enemies." -Groundskeeper Willie
Citrakite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2013, 09:35 AM   #1130
El_Duque
miyoshi82

At ALA while I was walking to Burger King, I saw Marc Perez's Mini Countryman parked in the front and I noticed the sides were stripped clean. This is the same car that he displayed at AX last year. The only thing that is left "itasha'd" were the hood and the rear. It probably is not a big deal, but I just find it odd. I thought he would keep his car like that.
Twitter
2014 Possible Cons
Anime Conji - Done
Wondercon - Did not attend
Anime Expo - Did not attend
San Diego Comic Con
Comikaze Expo
Long Beach Comic Con
Pacific Media Expo
El_Duque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2013, 10:09 AM   #1131
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
At ALA while I was walking to Burger King, I saw Marc Perez's Mini Countryman parked in the front and I noticed the sides were stripped clean. This is the same car that he displayed at AX last year. The only thing that is left "itasha'd" were the hood and the rear. It probably is not a big deal, but I just find it odd. I thought he would keep his car like that.
Maybe he's trying not to make it too obvious that it's his car? He's not exactly too popular right now with the fans. (He may be popular with his own entourage of supporters, but it's a different story outside of his own entourage.)

I also find it interesting that Marc Perez would show up year after year at ALA, or at Anime Conji meetings in San Diego, but he didn't show up for AX in 2012.

Last edited by Hakaider : 01-06-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Unread 01-07-2013, 07:29 PM   #1132
Resident-chick
They canceled Ugly Betty

Quote:
I also find it interesting that Marc Perez would show up year after year at ALA, or at Anime Conji meetings in San Diego, but he didn't show up for AX in 2012.
It is pretty silly..going to other cons maybe to see how he should do his job properly? Like how a good (Or atleast DECENT..) convention works, fan-wise without being too obvious.
Book of Life- La Muerte- 0%
Nightvale- Welcome to Nightvale- 0%
Resident-chick is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 11:22 PM   #1133
animejunkie
Crossplay is awesome

I ran into him at ALA while he was sitting at the AX table in the hallway (I think it was him, didn't read the name on the badge). Talked with him briefly, but nothing memorable came from it though other than asking if I'd considered staffing when I told him this year would be my 8th AX. I almost LOL'ed in his face
Sakura Con
Wonder Con
Anime Expo
Unread 01-09-2013, 12:57 AM   #1134
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
I ran into him at ALA while he was sitting at the AX table in the hallway (I think it was him, didn't read the name on the badge).
It was really Marc Perez. He was at the table booth for both Anime Conji and AX at the ALA convention.

Last edited by Hakaider : 01-09-2013 at 01:01 AM.
Unread 01-09-2013, 11:43 AM   #1135
ScarletRhapsody
way past weird

I actually did talk to Marc. He mentioned he was sick, so he couldn't make it. He asked what I thought and I honestly said it was a really off year and the X Games really killed it. He took that criticism with stride.

I just didn't care for the table right next to them (Bak Anime). I was talking to a friend about NYCC and the good things about it (my first time). Baka Anime Dude interrupted us and was like, "Worst. Con. Ever." Talk about rude and lack of social skills...(this is what I expect Tony Harris to look like)...as someone who does table exhibiting professionally, I would never talk ill about another company and interrupt a private conversation from potential clients and registrants.

Yet, end of rant...back to AX

And on the topic of travel, California now has the Megabus.
http://us.megabus.com/

I've taken the megabus from Boston to NY a few times. Very cozy. Free wi fi and outlets if you need to recharge.
ScarletRhapsody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 12:39 PM   #1136
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletRhapsody View Post
I actually did talk to Marc. He mentioned he was sick, so he couldn't make it. He asked what I thought and I honestly said it was a really off year and the X Games really killed it. He took that criticism with stride.
苦肉計 (http://wengu.tartarie.com/wg/wengu.php?l=36ji&no=10)
笑裏藏刀 (http://wengu.tartarie.com/wg/wengu.php?l=36ji&no=34)

Or for a more western perspective, see:
http://www.tlnt.com/2011/09/01/surve...t-sick-at-all/

Last edited by Access : 01-09-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 02:59 PM   #1137
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
That's the excuse that he used when I was at AX last year. It's also not the first time that he used that excuse. (I could also see that some of the staffers had a great look of skepticism if he was really sick.)

He was also healthy enough to show up at a Anime Conji meeting prior, and after AX.
Unread 01-10-2013, 12:36 AM   #1138
animejunkie
Crossplay is awesome

Quote:
That's the excuse that he used when I was at AX last year. It's also not the first time that he used that excuse. (I could also see that some of the staffers had a great look of skepticism if he was really sick.)

He was also healthy enough to show up at a Anime Conji meeting prior, and after AX.
Suspicious indeed....eh, maybe one day someone who is more competent will take over as CEO :/
Sakura Con
Wonder Con
Anime Expo
Unread 01-19-2013, 04:04 PM   #1139
MeiChama
Variable Trigger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citrakite View Post
This I'm sort of surprised by. I would Swear he said he'd never come back after the unpleasantness of the last year or two he was a guest with AX.
Same here.

Cons Attending
[Vox Reax Tour]
[Miku Expo]

dA
Facebook
Instagram
MeiChama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2013, 11:55 PM   #1140
Freight
Rolling 20's Podcast Host

He probably wants more exposure for his band and is biting the proverbial bullet.
Freight is offline   Reply With Quote