Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Expo

Reply
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 510 votes, 4.93 average.
Unread 03-04-2013, 02:02 PM   #1186
Hakaider
Sith Happens..
 
Hakaider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,581
Just a quick heads ups...


1. Europe's largest anime con, Japan Expo is expanding to the USA, and will hold it's first U.S. anime con on August 23-25, 2013 at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Northern California. Japan Expo is a European anime convention that is even bigger than North America's biggest anime con, Anime Expo. In 2012, Japan Expo's attendance numbers in Paris, France was 208,000. (Which exceeded even the San Diego Comic Con.)

Japan Expo had just released their website for 2013:

http://www.japan-expo.org/index.php




2. North America's 2nd biggest anime con, Otakon is expanding with a new convention in Las Vegas. The con will be held on January 3-5, 2014 at the Planet Hollywood resort in the heart of the Las Vegas strip.


Here is the link for Otakon Vegas:

http://otakonvegas.com/




With 2 of the biggest anime cons in the world jumping into the California & Las Vegas con market, they may very well give AX a serious run for their money. Also unlike AX, where it is seriously cutting back due to it's massive debt problems, these two cons are going in full swing with a big budget into the convention market.

The AX CEO Marc Perez, had better seriously wake up & get his act together, if he wants to AX to remain competitive in the con market. (Gone are the days when AX was the only game in town, and you can just rely on your brand name alone.) With these 2 big cons jumping into the same market as AX, AX may not remain as the biggest anime con in North America within the next few years.

The last thing that Marc Perez or "El Presidente" want to do in 2013, is to be absent again at AX, like he did at AX 2012. (Or have another "Bad jokes by the CEO" panel at AX.)

Last edited by Hakaider : 03-04-2013 at 10:15 PM.
Hakaider is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 03-04-2013, 03:53 PM   #1187
Access
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,256
All I can say is, it's about time. We need more cons here, don't have enough.

Maybe someday, one of these cons (or another) will grow to larger than AX.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 08:50 PM   #1188
El_Duque
miyoshi82
 
El_Duque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,605
AX did it when they had their "once in a lifetime" show in Tokyo and New York. Let's see how these two cons do in different territory.
__________________
Member of the
The Finest
Cobra 3rd Night Watch
Interested in joining our ranks? Click on the links above.

Youtube
Twitter
Con History
Anime Los Angeles 2011-2013, 2015
Anime Expo 2006-2011, 2015
Wondercon - 2013, 2015
San Diego Comic Con 1994-present
Comikaze Expo 2011, 2013-present
Long Beach Comic Con 2009-2012
Anime Conji 2010-present
Hanadoki Con - 2015
El_Duque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 09:28 PM   #1189
Freight
Rolling 20's Podcast Host
 
Freight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,987
Well, Otakon Vegas is an arm of Otakon, but it's not with a huge budget. It will start as a smaller convention. However, it does have instant name recognition.
Freight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 09:43 PM   #1190
animejunkie
Crossplay is awesome
 
animejunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 803
If Marc Perez is paying attention (and he probably isn't), it would be a good idea to take notice of the new conventions springing up. I'll be interested to see how both cons do in their first years...no doubt both have instant name recognition.
__________________
Twitter: @otakuforlife
Blog: The Casual Otaku

FB: The Casual Otaku

Anime Expo 2016 cosplay plans (subject to change)

Day 0: Casual maid Maki Nishikino (Love Live)
Day 1: Mikuru Asahina/Yuki Nagato(?) (TMoHS - summer uniform)
Day 2: You Watanabe (Love Live Sunshine - school uniform)
Day 3: Ami Mizuno (Sailor Moon - winter uniform)
Day 4: Casual maid cosplay or Yui Hirasawa (K-ON - summer uniform)
animejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 07:04 AM   #1191
sicdedman
SicLeatherFace
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaider View Post
Just a quick heads ups...


1. Europe's largest anime con, Japan Expo is expanding to the USA, and will hold it's first U.S. anime con on August 23-25, 2013 at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Northern California. Japan Expo is a European anime convention that is even bigger than North America's biggest anime con, Anime Expo. In 2012, Japan Expo's attendance numbers in Paris, France was 208,000. (Which exceeded even the San Diego Comic Con.)

Japan Expo had just released their website for 2013:

http://www.japan-expo.org/index.php



2. North America's 2nd biggest anime con, Otakon is expanding with a new convention in Las Vegas. The con will be held on January 3-5, 2014 at the Planet Hollywood resort in the heart of the Las Vegas strip.


Here is the link for Otakon Vegas:

http://otakonvegas.com/




With 2 of the biggest anime cons in the world jumping into the California & Las Vegas con market, they may very well give AX a serious run for their money. Also unlike AX, where it is seriously cutting back due to it's massive debt problems, these two cons are going in full swing with a big budget into the convention market.

The AX CEO Marc Perez, had better seriously wake up & get his act together, if he wants to AX to remain competitive in the con market. (Gone are the days when AX was the only game in town, and you can just rely on your brand name alone.) With these 2 big cons jumping into the same market as AX, AX may not remain as the biggest anime con in North America within the next few years.

The last thing that Marc Perez or "El Presidente" want to do in 2013, is to be absent again at AX, like he did at AX 2012. (Or have another "Bad jokes by the CEO" panel at AX.)

Do you think this is one of the Reasons that (Anime Expo) is now part of (Anime Conji)? it is their way of Expanding a little bit as well? event though they did not Start up a Whole new Con - in a way anime Conji is STILL a very new Con and has A LOT of room for Growing and Expanding in ways of (Fashion/Music/other Events)???


I would like to attend Otakon Vegas next year to check it out (4 hours from me) although it is the weekend before ALA (does not pose any problems for ALA) they have Very Loyal Attendee's so should not hurt their attendance at all.

As for Japan Expo USA - I would LOVE to attend this year - but I don't like Planes so flying is out, also I don't think my car in the state it is in (Waterpump-Timing belt) is in the mood for a 7 half hour drive.... - So i am trying to get my good friend to drive us up there (I pay for Hotel) but he hates conventions (BLAH)


I think it's awesome for the people in San Fran to have Japan Expo USA - with them losing (Wondercon) for 2 years now and (Yaoi Con) they Deserve to have Japan Expo USA!

Also as for Las Vegas they know have (Otakon Vegas, Animegacon & Anime Vegas)!
__________________
Attended : ALA 2016 (9th Year, 6th Year Staff) - AX 2015 (8th Year, 2nd Year Industry)
SDCC 2015 (7th Year, 1st Year Staff) - PMX 2015 (6th Year Attendee, 2nd year Staff)
Touhoucon (1st Year Attendee) - Japan Expo LA 2015 (1st Year Attendee)

Attending : AX 2016 (9th Year, 2nd Year Industry)
SDCC 2016 (8th Year, 2nd Year Staff) - PMX 2016 (7th Year Attendee, 2nd Year Staff)

Last edited by sicdedman : 03-05-2013 at 07:06 AM.
sicdedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 01:40 PM   #1192
Access
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by sicdedman View Post
Do you think this is one of the Reasons that (Anime Expo) is now part of (Anime Conji)? it is their way of Expanding a little bit as well? event though they did not Start up a Whole new Con - in a way anime Conji is STILL a very new Con and has A LOT of room for Growing and Expanding in ways of (Fashion/Music/other Events)???
Anime Conji was a special case, really more of a rare exception than the rule.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 10:40 AM   #1193
Resident-chick
Pineapple pizza sucks
 
Resident-chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,784
I don't know if I have asked about this topic here yet, but what are the rules with animals? More specifically birds?


((Ok this posted like three times how the fuck do i delete them."
__________________
⋆The official Anime Expo gathering Hostess!⋆
Resident-chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 03:03 PM   #1194
Access
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,256
Resident-chick is the bird part of a cosplay, a companion / helper animal, or a wild bird?
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 06:07 PM   #1195
El_Duque
miyoshi82
 
El_Duque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by animejunkie View Post
If Marc Perez is paying attention (and he probably isn't), it would be a good idea to take notice of the new conventions springing up. I'll be interested to see how both cons do in their first years...no doubt both have instant name recognition.
You can tell he's not doing anything and sitting on his ass when Anime Conji is next month and they only have one GoH listed so far.
__________________
Member of the
The Finest
Cobra 3rd Night Watch
Interested in joining our ranks? Click on the links above.

Youtube
Twitter
Con History
Anime Los Angeles 2011-2013, 2015
Anime Expo 2006-2011, 2015
Wondercon - 2013, 2015
San Diego Comic Con 1994-present
Comikaze Expo 2011, 2013-present
Long Beach Comic Con 2009-2012
Anime Conji 2010-present
Hanadoki Con - 2015
El_Duque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 01:51 PM   #1196
Hakaider
Sith Happens..
 
Hakaider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,581
Quote:
I don't know if I have asked about this topic here yet, but what are the rules with animals? More specifically birds?
Like Access said, is bird part of a cosplay, a companion / helper animal, or a wild bird?

Are you thinking of bringing a parrot that would be perched on your shoulder? (I know that an eagle or a hawk is strictly forbidden, unless it's part of a show for a Zoo.) It's possible that the convention staffers & security may frown on people bringing in a large parrot. (Unless it's also part of a show.)

I believe certain animals may be forbidden at the LA Convention Center, but dogs that help guide the blind may be allowed.




Quote:
You can tell he's not doing anything and sitting on his ass when Anime Conji is next month and they only have one GoH listed so far.
You do realize that it takes an incredible amount of effort to sit on one's butt and do absolutely nothing, right?

It must be one of the best jobs in the world to not show up for all 4 days at the con that you are supposed to be in charge of, and still continue to pick up a big salary. (It's right up there with "Professional sleeper" as a job.)

Last edited by Hakaider : 03-09-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Hakaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 05:03 PM   #1197
Resident-chick
Pineapple pizza sucks
 
Resident-chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Access View Post
Resident-chick is the bird part of a cosplay, a companion / helper animal, or a wild bird?
Companion/Part of cosplay , A parakeet named Poptart. I have a small round cage ready to take her around
__________________
⋆The official Anime Expo gathering Hostess!⋆
Resident-chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 05:05 PM   #1198
Resident-chick
Pineapple pizza sucks
 
Resident-chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaider View Post
Like Access said, is bird part of a cosplay, a companion / helper animal, or a wild bird?

Are you thinking of bringing a parrot that would be perched on your shoulder? (I know that an eagle or a hawk is strictly forbidden, unless it's part of a show for a Zoo.) It's possible that the convention staffers & security may frown on people bringing in a large parrot. (Unless it's also part of a show.)

I believe certain animals may be forbidden at the LA Convention Center, but dogs that help guide the blind may be allowed.
No, just a small parakeet about the size of a balled fist. She'll be in a cage
__________________
⋆The official Anime Expo gathering Hostess!⋆
Resident-chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 05:26 PM   #1199
Hakaider
Sith Happens..
 
Hakaider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,581
Quote:
No, just a small parakeet about the size of a balled fist. She'll be in a cage
I would recommend posting that question about the parakeet at the AX forums, and see what an AX staffer would say regarding their animal policy.

You might want not to use the same nickname or avatar though, when you post there. Some of the people there aren't exactly too fond of this Cosplay.com forum.
Hakaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 05:43 PM   #1200
Resident-chick
Pineapple pizza sucks
 
Resident-chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaider View Post

You might want not to use the same nickname or avatar though, when you post there. Some of the people there aren't exactly too fond of this Cosplay.com forum.
Thank you, I won't...Why? Is there some conflict between us and them or..?
__________________
⋆The official Anime Expo gathering Hostess!⋆
Resident-chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
Antem
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:27 PM.


Copyright 2002-2016 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.