Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Expo

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 510 votes, 4.93 average.
Unread 03-29-2013, 02:31 PM   #1321
Resident-chick
Pineapple pizza sucks

I may third this opinion, mainly because it really is a fight-for-yourself and find out things like this. Even if there was an extra sheet for gatherings in the goodie bag, that would be AWESOME.

Unread 03-30-2013, 10:58 PM   #1322
Kisuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by animejunkie View Post
Speaking of censoring, I find it funny that I'm still blocked from interacting on the AX FB page ever since I posted a highly critical comment on there shortly after the whole fiasco with the shuttle passes in 2010

I've unbanned everyone from the facebook page.

Proof: http://i.imgur.com/kI01jRg.png
Kisuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 12:20 AM   #1323
Freight
Rolling 20's Podcast Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisuka View Post
I've unbanned everyone from the facebook page.

Proof: http://i.imgur.com/kI01jRg.png
Good to hear. Thanks.

Animejunkie, you should test it out.
Freight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 01:11 AM   #1324
Kisuka

Website update:

http://www.anime-expo.org/information/volunteering/

Volunteers will no longer be reimbursed.
Kisuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 02:12 AM   #1325
animejunkie
Crossplay is awesome

Yep, it works...I can once again interact on the FB page. Thanks Kisuka!

FB: The Casual Otaku

Upcoming Cons/Events

Anime California
AkibaFest
PMX
Anime Los Angeles
Anime Expo 2017
animejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 02:35 AM   #1326
animenerd93
VIXXEN ******

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisuka View Post
Website update:

http://www.anime-expo.org/information/volunteering/

Volunteers will no longer be reimbursed.
Overall? Like no perks? I hate to hate but I'm afraid that now we won't have anyone helping out.... I know a lot of people who volunteer cause they want to help but most people only do it for the free badge..... Hope we have enough helpers now....
Cory- 24K U R So Cute **DEBUT**
PO- Block B Tell Them **DEBUT**
Baro- B1A4 Solo Day (Beach scene) **DEBUT**
POSSIBLE DEBUT: N-mi: VIXX Girls So Hot (VIXX So Hot cover)
CL- 2NE1 I am the Best
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 10:26 AM   #1327
Freight
Rolling 20's Podcast Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by animenerd93 View Post
Overall? Like no perks? I hate to hate but I'm afraid that now we won't have anyone helping out.... I know a lot of people who volunteer cause they want to help but most people only do it for the free badge..... Hope we have enough helpers now....
This could be in response to a lawsuit someone brought on an East Coast convention, I think. The story I know is that a minor volunteered at a convention and was reimbursed for their badge. They told their parents and didn't have a problem, but the parent sued the convention stating that the convention didn't reimburse the minor fairly for the time they volunteered. The judge threw out the suit, but it makes conventions second guess the standard reimbursement policies because they don't want to have to pay lawyers to defend against idiocy, or worse, someone successfully argues this type of matter.

This could create a problem finding volunteers, though this will hopefully weed out some people who are just trying to get a free badge and we'll find more volunteers at AX who display proper work ethic and enthusiasm.
Freight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 07:27 PM   #1328
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

On things of a different note..

I just got back from WonderCon at the Anaheim Convention Center, and it was great!

From what I've heard, the attendance numbers was between $40,00 to 50,000. (It's close to the numbers of AX.)

The Anaheim Convention Center's hallways were very spacious, and you didn't see the crowded bottleneck of wall to wall people than you would see at the LA Convention Center at AX. (Even on a Saturday.)

They also held their Masquerade at the Arena with stadium seating. (Which was a much better area than the one used for the AX Masquerade last year.) The Arena is also connected to the convention center for easy access.

Note: A few years ago, the San Diego Comic Con actually was looking at the the Anaheim Convention Center, before they decided to stay in San Diego. (Comic Con had over 120,000 attendees, and the Anaheim Convention Center was fully capable of fitting in those numbers.)

Parking was also quite cheap. Way cheaper than in downtown LA. You didn't had to pay over $139 for 4 nights for parking at the J..W. Marriott. Even the Disneyland hotel didn't charge that much. There's also more parking spaces in Anaheim, than in downtown LA.

With the exception of the J.W. Marriott & the Sheraton, many of the Anaheim hotels were much nicer & cheaper than many of the downtown hotels in LA. (Many of the downtown hotels are run down, and are in need of serious renovations. Although, they still charge more because they are located in downtown LA.)

I've stayed at the official WonderCon hotel, the Anaheim Marriott, and the con rate per night was only $108. (Try getting that rate in downtown LA.) AX used to be held also at the Anaheim Marriott when it was in Anaheim.

The Anaheim Hilton, Anaheim Marriott, Anaheim Sheraton, and a few other hotels were all very well within short walking distances to the Anaheim Convention Center. (So there's no need for a con shuttle.) And yes, during July, Anaheim is cooler than downtown LA, because it's way closer to the ocean.

In terms of food, the Cafe Del Sol restaurant at the Anaheim Marriott restaurant was offering $16 lunch buffet, and $19 dinner buffet. They also had Pizza Hut, and Starbucks inside. (C'mon...$19 for a buffet with steak & beverages included in Downtown LA? Not bloody likely to happen.)

The Anaheim Hilton also had a food court inside their hotel, and you can get a good meal for under $15. (Try finding that at the LA Live restaurants. Plus, at the J.W. Marriott, you can easily run a meal tab of over $100 at their main restaurants.)

There were also a number of food trucks that was lined up right outside of the Anaheim Convention Center.

The best part of course, was the cosplay areas, between the Anaheim Marriott, Anaheim Hilton, and the Anaheim Convention Center.

WonderCon really lucked out when they picked the Anaheim Convention Center.

I sure wish AX would really reconsider moving back to Anaheim. It would not cost AX as much as staying in downtown LA, and fans would not pay as much $$$$ in parking, hotel, and food. There are also more hotels in Anaheim to fit the needs of the attendees, and there wouldn't be any need for a con shuttle, since it is not as spread out as in downtown LA. (It's also less hot than in downtown LA.) The convention center is also within a short walking distance to Disneyland. It's a win-win situation.

And oh yeah...traffic isn't as bad in Anaheim, as the constant traffic jam in downtown LA.

Which place which you also feel safer late at night? Downtown LA or close to Disneyland?

In short, if everything now, (paying more for hotels, parking, food, and paying more gas for traffic) costs far more in downtown LA than in Anaheim, what & where are the real advantages now for fans staying in downtown LA? (Since the loss of the Nokia Theatre, that's another advantage that is gone for staying in downtown LA.)

Last edited by Hakaider : 04-01-2013 at 04:23 AM.
Hakaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 12:25 AM   #1329
Access

The area around the ACC is very nice, also the air is cleaner and the police are much more helpful / friendly.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 12:41 AM   #1330
El_Duque
miyoshi82

Security and EMTs were very friendly and they took pics of me and Cobra's Finest. Man, I dreamed AX would return to Anaheim.
Interested in joining our ranks? Click on the links above.

Youtube
Twitter
Con History
Anime Los Angeles 2011-2013, 2015
Anime Expo 2006-2011, 2015
Wondercon - 2013, 2015
San Diego Comic Con 1994-present
Comikaze Expo 2011, 2013-present
Long Beach Comic Con 2009-2012
Anime Conji 2010-present
Hanadoki Con - 2015

Last edited by El_Duque : 04-01-2013 at 01:01 AM.
El_Duque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 11:42 AM   #1331
animenerd93
VIXXEN ******

^wasnt there an issue from when it was at Anaheim years ok that they said we couldn't return? Like about someone selling Hentai to minors or something?
Cory- 24K U R So Cute **DEBUT**
PO- Block B Tell Them **DEBUT**
Baro- B1A4 Solo Day (Beach scene) **DEBUT**
POSSIBLE DEBUT: N-mi: VIXX Girls So Hot (VIXX So Hot cover)
CL- 2NE1 I am the Best
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 01:15 PM   #1332
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by animenerd93 View Post
^wasnt there an issue from when it was at Anaheim years ok that they said we couldn't return? Like about someone selling Hentai to minors or something?
No that was the Disneyland hotel, and it's far outgrown that stage (where it could be hosted in any hotel at all).

The main issue with Anaheim was that Anaheim wasn't built for running one large convention, there were three seperate floors and not enough up/down access between all three. So lines and a lot of other things were said to be a major problem in that year. But in the last five or so years, Anaheim has made enough upgrades to fix that problem. Wondercon, Blizzcon, etc. are now hosted in Anaheim without any real hitch (other than the usual traffic, parking, etc. problems -- and nowhere near as bad as LA).
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 04:51 PM   #1333
Hcoregamer00
PMX/Otakorp/Lunar Fest

Last year's Wondercon was "just shy of 40,000 attending the 2012 convention (source)." So I am inclined to believe that Anaheim Wondercon's 2013 attendance was greatly higher considering that they sold out of Friday, Saturday, and 3-day passes (source). The final number should be very impressive to say the least.

It at least explains why there is now a "Wondercon Anaheim" and a "Wondercon San Francisco." They also are using 50% of the exhibit space in the Convention Center, only a small portion of the Mariott, and nothing in the Hilton, so they can greatly expand their convention footprint for Anaheim Wondercon 2014.

A big difference between Wondercon and Anime Expo is that Wondercon is more of a "commuter con" where people drive back and forth in the event, and that Anime Expo is more of a "destination con" where people drive there and stay until the event is over. That does change the dynamic of the traffic flow, the nature of programming, and various other things.

Photography Blog, dA, FB Fan Page, Personal Blog

Future Cons: Anime Expo, Pacific Media Expo, TouhouCon

Last edited by Hcoregamer00 : 04-01-2013 at 05:01 PM.
Hcoregamer00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 10:43 PM   #1334
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:

A big difference between Wondercon and Anime Expo is that Wondercon is more of a "commuter con" where people drive back and forth in the event, and that Anime Expo is more of a "destination con" where people drive there and stay until the event is over. That does change the dynamic of the traffic flow, the nature of programming, and various other things

Actually, WonderCon is now considered to be a destination con. It was more of a commuter con, when it was in Northern California. (There weren't that many hotels around the Moscone Center in San Francisco, so many people were forced to commute.) But the dynamics has greatly changed for WonderCon, since it moved to Anaheim.

Some of the Anaheim hotels around the Anaheim Convention Center were completely sold out, so there were a lot of people who stayed for the con, instead of commuting.

Within a matter of two years since moving to Anaheim, WonderCon may have exceeded AX's numbers.

Quote:
Last year's Wondercon was "just shy of 40,000 attending the 2012 convention (source)." So I am inclined to believe that Anaheim Wondercon's 2013 attendance was greatly higher considering that they sold out of Friday, Saturday, and 3-day passes (source). The final number should be very impressive to say the least.

The official attendance numbers listed for WonderCon in Wikipedia is:

Quote:
WonderCon had 34,000 attendees in 2009,[3] 39,000 in 2010, and 49,500 in 2011.[4]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WonderCon

It's more than likely that WonderCon hit over 50,000 this year in 2013.

In comparison, the attendance numbers as listed in Wikipedia for AX for the last few years has been: (These are the unique numbers since AX moved to LA.)

2008: 43,000

2009: 44,000

2011: 47,000

2012: 49,400

Note: The unique numbers for 2010 still remains a mystery. (It was the year of Lattanzio's reign.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anime_Expo

By looking at these numbers, it's more than likely the 2013 WonderCon in Anaheim has exceeded the attendance numbers for AX in 2012.

I also don't recall AX selling out their badges on Saturday, like what happened at WonderCon.

Apparently, moving to Anaheim had really helped WonderCon, in terms of attendance. (And it would probably do the same for AX, if it ever moves back to Anaheim.)

Last edited by Hakaider : 04-01-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Hakaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 11:49 PM   #1335
El_Duque
miyoshi82

Why compare Wondercon to AX?
Interested in joining our ranks? Click on the links above.

Youtube
Twitter
Con History
Anime Los Angeles 2011-2013, 2015
Anime Expo 2006-2011, 2015
Wondercon - 2013, 2015
San Diego Comic Con 1994-present
Comikaze Expo 2011, 2013-present
Long Beach Comic Con 2009-2012
Anime Conji 2010-present
Hanadoki Con - 2015
El_Duque is offline   Reply With Quote