Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Expo

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 174 votes, 4.83 average.
Unread 04-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #1411
Shugo the Fox
White and Nerdy

Personally, I never went to AX for the GoH because I did plenty of other things instead. I enjoy simply cosplaying and meeting new friends who enjoy the same anime and games as I do.

It's true that AX is struggling financially at this point, and I also feel that it would be much cheaper and much preferred by the attendees if they moved back to Anaheim, for example.

But if less and less people stop going simply because someone they wanted to see didn't attend AX, then that's only going to hurt them even more.

GoH aside, there's still a huge exhibition hall with tons of booths and some amazing artists in the artist alley, dozens of events pertaining to the interests of attendees, and not to mention thousands of incredible cosplayers with amazing, creative cosplays.

My point is that the con is more than just about the GoH. I'm sorry you're not going to see whoever it is you were hoping to see, but maybe you need to be a little more understanding of the situation and show some support for AX. Go and have fun anyway. 4 days. People like you gathered from all around with the same love for anime and games. Plenty of events. Sexy lady cosplayers. And of course, Raptor Jesus. What more could you want?
  • Pacific Media Expo 2014

Cosplays
  • Serge - Chrono Cross
  • Paper Mario
  • Godot - Phoenix Wright
  • Kenji Mitsusada - Cardfight! Vanguard
  • Shugo - Original Character Cosplay
Shugo the Fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-22-2013, 02:25 PM   #1412
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shugo the Fox View Post
My point is that the con is more than just about the GoH. I'm sorry you're not going to see whoever it is you were hoping to see, but maybe you need to be a little more understanding of the situation and show some support for AX. Go and have fun anyway. 4 days. People like you gathered from all around with the same love for anime and games. Plenty of events. Sexy lady cosplayers. And of course, Raptor Jesus. What more could you want?
While I think you are in the majority (at any given time), GoH is in the past how AX has differentiated itself from the other conventions. Even if you don't go for the GoH, it's become an important part of the convention which is helpful in bringing so many people from all over the nation (and world) together. Today, even with the majority not going for it, I'm not sure that AX would have gotten so large had it not been for their ability to bring in top-notch talent that hasn't yet performed in the US.

It does help that cons can be huge like AX, I mean, I don't go to cons just for the photography, but as photographer the main unique thing that AX (or a very large anime con) offers is that it is so large that I can shoot only the fandoms that I really care about versus just 'everything'. You generally won't get this opportunity at a smaller convention.. unless the fandoms you are specifically into happen to be huge at the time.

For reference, other than the Miku Concert (which could have filled up to 3000 in a matter of weeks) most of the other concerts topped at out around 3000 or less (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Which is less than 10%.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 10:50 PM   #1413
chireiyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicserendipity View Post
Forgive me if this has been answered in the past 94 pages, but is a Dubbing contest going to happen this year? Thanks.
Do you mean AX Idol? If you do then... Unfortunately, no, it won't be happening this year. I'm not sure if Bang! Zoom will be doing their booth auditions again - though I heard it's definitely not the same experience. (source)

Last edited by chireiyu : 04-22-2013 at 10:53 PM.
chireiyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 12:12 AM   #1414
Freight
Rolling 20's Podcast Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by Access View Post
While I think you are in the majority (at any given time), GoH is in the past how AX has differentiated itself from the other conventions. Even if you don't go for the GoH, it's become an important part of the convention which is helpful in bringing so many people from all over the nation (and world) together. Today, even with the majority not going for it, I'm not sure that AX would have gotten so large had it not been for their ability to bring in top-notch talent that hasn't yet performed in the US.

It does help that cons can be huge like AX, I mean, I don't go to cons just for the photography, but as photographer the main unique thing that AX (or a very large anime con) offers is that it is so large that I can shoot only the fandoms that I really care about versus just 'everything'. You generally won't get this opportunity at a smaller convention.. unless the fandoms you are specifically into happen to be huge at the time.

For reference, other than the Miku Concert (which could have filled up to 3000 in a matter of weeks) most of the other concerts topped at out around 3000 or less (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Which is less than 10%.
Add into that when the expectation for guests starts to drop, then those people looking for unique experiences start going elsewhere. That weighs on their circles of friends who may also find other things to do that are more local to them, the people travelling across the country or even internationally.

If these circles of friends start spreading out or finding other cons to go to, then there's less people to do other things at AX be it other events or the Dealer's Hall. Things shrink when that happens, and we live in a period where there's a LOT of alternatives. If that snowball starts rolling down hill, it could be disastrous. They need to keep attendance and interest in all sectors high.
Freight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 01:26 AM   #1415
El_Duque
miyoshi82

AX just released the cover art for this year's program. I'm liking it, I just wish the con itself would look better right now too.
Youtube
Twitter
Con History
Anime Los Angeles 2011-2013
Anime Expo 2006-2011
San Diego Comic Con 1994-present
Comikaze Expo 2011, 2013-present
Long Beach Comic Con 2009-2012
Anime Conji 2010-present
El_Duque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 02:19 AM   #1416
Aufklarung

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Duque View Post
AX just released the cover art for this year's program. I'm liking it, I just wish the con itself would look better right now too.
You referring to this?

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...75799087_n.jpg

I often believe that commercial art should have a meaning and message aside from just looking nice. This is more dignified than last years and does more to hint acknowledgment of some of varying sub genres of this community. From what I gathered, the artist was not given much direction aside from some basic instruction or theme. From there, they create what they wish and we roll the dice of chance.

Cosplay Office: Room 510

Last edited by Aufklarung : 04-23-2013 at 02:23 AM.
Aufklarung is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 02:53 AM   #1417
epicserendipity
Love the wind in my hair

@Resident_Chick -- Thanks.
@Chireiyu - Awe, boo. well, if Bang! Zoom! does decide to do something at the last minute, I'm in. Sadly, I missed the expo last year. I had a choice: Save money for AX, or save money for a road trip with Mom. I went with option #2.

The artist who did this piece did a nice job of blending mecha with grace. It has an Evangelion look to it.

Future Cons: Anime Expo 2014 (L.A)

FINISHED PROJECTS:

100%: Yosuke Hanamura (Many outfits) (Persona 4)
Current Projects:
Junpei Iori (Persona 3 --with my friends.)

Kaoru Kamiya - Kendo uniform (Rurouni Kenshin -anime)
My Youtube Channel (I sing and stuff here.)
BTVA voice acting profile

Last edited by epicserendipity : 04-23-2013 at 02:57 AM.
epicserendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 03:36 AM   #1418
Access

Quote:
To me, this is just presentation. It could be the best art in the world, or the absolute worst, and it honestly wouldn't make a whole lot of difference. People don't go to a convention for the pretty picture on the cover of the program book, it barely even factors into anyone's thinking at all.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 11:40 AM   #1419
El_Duque
miyoshi82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufklarung View Post
You referring to this?

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...75799087_n.jpg

I often believe that commercial art should have a meaning and message aside from just looking nice. This is more dignified than last years and does more to hint acknowledgment of some of varying sub genres of this community. From what I gathered, the artist was not given much direction aside from some basic instruction or theme. From there, they create what they wish and we roll the dice of chance.
Was the artist was inspired by Infinite Stratos?
Youtube
Twitter
Con History
Anime Expo 2006-2011
Anime Conji 2010-present
Unread 04-23-2013, 01:49 PM   #1420
Resident-chick
Pineapple pizza sucks

It has nothing to do with the previous three years theme. I mean last years looked like the beginning to a cyber... ecchi yuri or something! I like the man with the tap hat and girl with red hair. It was elegant, cute and not to mention appealing..It seems like this one is a promotion for an anime on its own..
Fey- Welcome to Nightvale- 70%
Pandora- Devils Candy- 30%
Resident-chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 01:52 AM   #1421
El_Duque
miyoshi82

Tomorrow is the last episode of AX Live and they will also have a GoH announcement. I hope this one will be good.
Youtube
Twitter
Con History
Anime Expo 2006-2011
Anime Conji 2010-present
Unread 04-25-2013, 10:51 PM   #1422
El_Duque
miyoshi82

http://www.anime-expo.org/2013/04/we...r-for-ax-2013/

Not bad for a character designer type GoH. Can now we get some musical GoHs please?
Youtube
Twitter
Con History
Anime Expo 2006-2011
Anime Conji 2010-present
Unread 04-25-2013, 11:19 PM   #1423
animejunkie
Crossplay is awesome

Quote:
http://www.anime-expo.org/2013/04/we...r-for-ax-2013/

Not bad for a character designer type GoH. Can now we get some musical GoHs please?
Finally a guest I can be excited about...I'm sure I have some Haruhi merchandise somewhere to sign.

Hopefully AX keeps the good announcements like this coming (especially for musical guests), but I'm not going to get my hopes up.
Anime Expo
PMX(?)

Potential Future Crossplays
Maki Nishikino (Love Live) - Summer school uniform
animejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 11:52 PM   #1424
Resident-chick
Pineapple pizza sucks

Alrighty...things are looking kind of good..
Fey- Welcome to Nightvale- 70%
Pandora- Devils Candy- 30%
Resident-chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 12:36 AM   #1425
Freight
Rolling 20's Podcast Host

I see where people can like this one. Not my cup o' tea, but decent, nonetheless.
Freight is offline   Reply With Quote