Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > AnimeFEST

Unread 06-07-2012, 10:54 AM   #16
tealgoddess

Seeing as I'm going to be selling there, I actually find the new location a great opportunity to sell art. The Hyatt was getting CRAZY with their table locations; in 2011, I was forced to sit in the upper level in an area that was previously used for photoshoots. Barely anyone went over there, so business was horrible. Even though the staff did try their best to have people direct themselves over to our area, there still wasn't nearly as much attention to our location as downstairs or across the hallway. Overall I really do think this new hotel will provide much better selling possibilities that the Hyatt could ever provide.
Xion-90% - Gou Matsuoka-100%

AWA

TBA
tealgoddess is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-23-2012, 01:22 AM   #17
arick86

I haven't had any problems with the Hyatt either. My first year at AFest 2010 I checked in and my room hadn't been cleaned... They moved me into another room and gave me free breakfast vouchers. Last year, I asked for a late checkout and they didn't charge me the extra fee for that.

Of course the whole ordeal with the wristbands was stupid, but I love this con -- the vibe, the size, etc. I'm hoping that doesnt change with the new location...

Rising New Moon Studios
arick86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2012, 04:47 PM   #18
ChibiBritt
The Chibi

Those of you worried about A-Kon moving to the Anatole - they know about the art. As I posted in another thread, A-Kon staff have already been making the rounds in the Anatole and checking each piece of art that MIGHT have issue. Anything that could be a problem with the A-Kon crowd is being moved to storage for the weekend.

A-Kon staff started working toward the move long before A-Kon of this year. Many of the issues coming up are being addressed, like food for instance. Also the new A-Kon venue allows for a TON more rooms for panels which was a major issue with the Sheraton. More fans will be able to host their own panels and panel cut off won't be before winter holidays like it had been in the past.
Cosplay Staff/Panelist for A-Kon
Ani-Idol/Voice Over Idol Director for A-Kon, AnimeFest
ChibiBritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2012, 05:01 PM   #19
JonnyPhoenyx
Equalists Beware

I totally understand the reasoning and logic behind the move. Personally though, Afest is my FAVORITE convention. Period. My birthday weekend was the same as Afest last year and I'll never forget it. So, with all the fond memories embedded in my mind from that location - making the move just won't feel like the same con.
But, I'm more than wiling to see gamble and see how things turn out! Hope to see you guys there!
JonnyPhoenyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2012, 01:27 PM   #20
swedishguitaris
MissTimeLord

The Sheraton is a very beautiful hotel. I'm excited for it. They wouldn't just change locations that didn't do any good for no reason. There has to be something better about the location of the Sheraton/the hotel in general that would cause them to change. It's going to be great fun, only a week away, i'm looking forward to it! I would go, because although the scenery may be the same, the cosplayers are constantly changing! After all, the main focus of your photography is not going to be what's in the background right? I'd think the cosplayer you're photographing would be what's important. Either way, Hope you can make it!

Dallas Comic Con 2013:
♥ The Pink Pummeler; Dr. Horrible's Sing along blog; 40%
♥ Gabriel the Trickster/Archangel; Supernatural; 30%
♥ Rose Tyler; Doctor Who; TBA

Supernatural Con 2013:
♥ Meg Masters; Supernatural; 10%
♥ Gabriel the Trickster/Archangel; Supernatural; 30%

Completed Cosplays:
AFest 2012
♥ Skwisgaar Skwigelf; Metalocalypse
AllCon 2013
♥The Eleventh Doctor; Doctor Who
swedishguitaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2012, 04:19 PM   #21
Hikaruhime
I'm jusaiyan

I'm excited AFest will be at the Sheraton. My favorite thing about A-Kon being located there was that there were so many cheap food options right across the skywalk. Now, we'll have those food options available for AFest next weekend. In years past, it pretty much came down to expensive hotel food and pizza.
Tokyo in Tulsa // Tulsa, OK

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS:
Isis from SMITE
Capitol Citizen from Hunger Games

Mythos Creations Cosplay Group
Hikaruhime is offline   Reply With Quote