Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-18-2012, 01:02 PM   #1
SparklyCosplay

Tips on getting in shape for next month's con?

Phoenix Comicon is in a little over a month and I recently realized that a) my costume no longer fits me, and b) there is no excuse to be at the size I am at right now.
I've decided I'm determined to get in shape, and also fit into my costume before the con. But I need some tips. A little help?
Also, some things that would be good to know:
I'm around 5'3" to 5'5" (haven't measured myself in a while), and I weigh over 200 pounds. I take medication for depression that makes me very hungry (that's the main reason I got this heavy). I also have asthma, so I have to be careful when I exercise (running makes it really bad, but speed-walking is okay). Plus (partly due to depression) I tend to eat a lot when I'm not hungry, and I tend to take large portion sizes.
Since yesterday (when I decided I was determined to get in shape), I've cut WAY down on portion sizes, eaten several SMALL meals a day, and cut WAY down on sugar (I have a bit of a sweet tooth...). I've been drinking far more water (something I've always needed to work on.) I started going on walks with my dad, and I'm going to be going to the gym regularly. I also would like to go swimming this week.
What other things can I do? I'd really like to lose at least 10 pounds or so before the con, and lose about 90 pounds total.
SparklyCosplay is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-18-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
LadyMisaGaga
Beautiful, Dirty, Rich

You are on a great start!! One thing I defintly can relate is the sweet tooth. That's my main reason I've gained weight. Cut out it almost entirely. If u drink soda cut it all out. It's insane how much sugar they have and how they put the weight on you. I have a soda like once every 2 or 3 weeks. I drink water, tea and coffee.

Also try to stay away from processes foods. It may be hard espically if you are not preparing the meals. Stay away from foods that are white as well. White rice, bread, sugar, and such. I really enjoy sweets so I'll put honey and brown sugar (not much) on oatmeal or add honey to my tea. Little things add up and I hope you suceed in losing some weight!!!
LadyMisaGaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 06:35 PM   #3
Somsai
Guyver 01

1. Eat oranges instead of drinking OJ
2. Leave the skin on fruits when possible
3. Eat raw fruits instead of fruit juices to obtain more nutrients
4. Eat more dark, leafy, green, vegetables
5. Avoid cheese because of the high saturated fat content
6. Drink 100+ ounces of water per day
7. Avoid margarine because of its high trans fat content
8. Choose fat free and low fat milk products whenever possible
9. Avoid white bread and refined pasta
10. Eat whole grain bread and pasta
11. Drink 1-2 large glasses of water before a meal
12. Eat sufficient Essential Fatty Acids (EFAs) everyday
13. Eat complex carbohydrates such as oats and sweet potatoes
14. Avoid midnight binging and empty calories snacking
15. Get adequate sleep (7-9 hours per night)
16. Take the steps instead of the elevator
17. Take a brisk walk or jog during lunch
18. Walk and bike instead of driving whenever possible
19. Continue to lift weights to maintain muscles and prevent muscle loss
20. Keep sodium intake at or below 2.5 grams per day
21. Take a multivitamin to make up for missing nutrients
22. Perform low-intensity cardio to burn fat
23. Eat a deficit of 500 calories per day to lose 1 lb per week
24. READ labels and COUNT calories

(Tips from linedriver465 from M&S)
A lot of great tips that helped me when I was a beginner.

Finished:
- Ikki Minami (Air Gear)
- Kaname Kuran (Vampire Knight)
- Guy (Street Fighters/Final Fight)
Somsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 08:22 PM   #4
PrettyHellFire
Lover Of All Humans

I have a very similar situation as you! I used to weigh around 120 lbs and ended up weighing 165. I'm only 5'3 so I did look sort of chubby and it was starting to show. I SUCK when it comes to exercise. I was the girl that used to cry at school when the gym teacher made us run. I also have ADHD so when I exercise I get very distracted and all I can ever think about is stopping and doing something else. So to get my exercise in I started taking Zumba classes and I put myself on the Dukan Diet. So far in about six weeks I've lost around 10-12 lbs and I'm hoping to weigh AT LEAST 140 lbs by my convention in June. Especially since right after that I'll be going to the beach for a week!
PrettyHellFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 08:55 PM   #5
Asa Gohan
Broke College Student

http://eatthis.menshealth.com/home
Just read all of Eat this! not that!.
I have lost 19 pounds over 9 months by following their rules.

Anime Expo 2014
Duo Maxwell
Kenshin Himura
Pinkie Pie
Asa Gohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 04:19 AM   #6
Hop-along

I think you've taken some really good steps already I'm no expert, so I can't offer much in the way of advice, except drink lots of water, which is what I try to do. Good luck
Hop-along is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2012, 08:32 PM   #7
Libis

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHellFire View Post
I have a very similar situation as you! I used to weigh around 120 lbs and ended up weighing 165. I'm only 5'3 so I did look sort of chubby and it was starting to show. I SUCK when it comes to exercise. I was the girl that used to cry at school when the gym teacher made us run. I also have ADHD so when I exercise I get very distracted and all I can ever think about is stopping and doing something else. So to get my exercise in I started taking Zumba classes and I put myself on the Dukan Diet. So far in about six weeks I've lost around 10-12 lbs and I'm hoping to weigh AT LEAST 140 lbs by my convention in June. Especially since right after that I'll be going to the beach for a week!
I hope you don't mean to lose 140 lbs off of a 165 lb body--there'd be nothing left. 0.0
Libis is offline   Reply With Quote