Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 04-18-2012, 04:30 PM   #1
Ririin

Good workout for toning arms?

Hi! I was wondering what would be a good workout for toning out arms... because I want this slim toned arms and I have no clue how D:.
Ririin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-18-2012, 06:13 PM   #2
KiritheBlue
Dabbler in Everything

I think it depends on what level of slim and toned you want. For overall slimness, it's more a matter of losing weight overall; that involves cutting down on food intake and increasing your overall physical activity, particularly through cardio. Running actually helps, since you're moving your arms back and forth as you do that.

For toning... honestly, I'm not fully sure, as I'm asking that question myself, but I would suggest doing arm circles - hold your arms straight to the sides and make little circles with them. Keep doing that for as long as possible, switching directions every thirty seconds or so. Aim for four minutes first, then go up from there. I would also suggest pushups, which also work your stomach and back shoulder muscles, some weight lifting, and martial arts hand techniques, which are pretty useful if you put power into each one. I hope this is somewhat useful...

So to tangent off your question for that to anyone reading - I already have fairly visibly muscular arms (which I'm assuming come from martial arts because I don't do any weight training and don't know how else that happened... maybe furniture moving...), but I want to increase the muscular definition. Am I good with just losing weight or should I do more pushups/weight lifting/martial arts hand techniques?
KiritheBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 06:29 PM   #3
Somsai
Guyver 01

Well, I can tell based off what you typed that you don't know
much about the difference between slim and tone.
I'll describe it in the simplest of terms.

If you want to be "tone" you have to build muscle while having
very little body fat. Thus, to the point where the muscle fibers
fairly show on your body.

If you want "slim" arms you must simply have little body fat.

I'm not going to assume you're over weight but a little bit more information
about you would help us as well. So I'm just going to assume you are in
a pretty descent shape, but you don't have slim arms.

First off,
You CAN NOT spot reduce fat anywhere on your body.
This is just a completely known fact.
Your body chooses where it will lose fat.
By doing a bunch of random arm exercises won't
make your arms any smaller.

The ONLY way to achieve a slim figure is to diet and exercise.
If you are trying to cut fat, then you should be on a diet
and performing a lot of cardio.

I'll even help you where to begin your planning for dieting and work outs.

Go here to choose a fat loss training program.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/tone.html

And here for a beginners guide to fat loss. (Which is something I believe everyone
should learn regardless if they train or not)

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/expert-guides/fat-loss

I recommend everyone to this site,
simply because it has all you need to know.

I've done all I can. Its up to you now to decide if you willing to learn
and give it all you got to get to your goal.
GOOD LUCK!

Finished:
- Ikki Minami (Air Gear)
- Kaname Kuran (Vampire Knight)
- Guy (Street Fighters/Final Fight)

Last edited by Somsai : 04-18-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Somsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #4
Libis

As far as strengthening the arms--I've had good luck with pushups and with general martial arts stuff. Honestly, though, the above poster is right that any thinning will come from overall health. You might try an activity like Taekwondo or swimming if you want added strength and slimming all over. (Be warned that either of these will give you big, strong leg muscles and likely strong arms as well and after doing martial arts consistently for 6 months or so my pants don't all fit any more--too big in the waist and too small in the thigh.)

Anyways, the martial arts stuff works for me because I don't get bored like with other exercise and I get to make more goals and it improves my discipline.
Libis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
KiritheBlue
Dabbler in Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libis View Post
As far as strengthening the arms--I've had good luck with pushups and with general martial arts stuff. Honestly, though, the above poster is right that any thinning will come from overall health. You might try an activity like Taekwondo or swimming if you want added strength and slimming all over. (Be warned that either of these will give you big, strong leg muscles and likely strong arms as well and after doing martial arts consistently for 6 months or so my pants don't all fit any more--too big in the waist and too small in the thigh.)

Anyways, the martial arts stuff works for me because I don't get bored like with other exercise and I get to make more goals and it improves my discipline.
Don't you love martial arts? I actually did Taekwondo, so I have nice strong thighs and get annoyed at how all my jeans are like that - too big at the waist and too small in the thigh. Looks like more upper body stuff for me. ^_^;
KiritheBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2012, 06:25 PM   #6
ShadowMoses

Going through the same thing

Having recently lost 20 lbs, and trying to lose 20 more, the first place to start is your caloric intake. Cut it down, and watch it closely. For slimming, do cardio. For toning, add muscle building exercises to the mix. The best thing you could do is a program like P90X, and they cater it to whatever you are going for. If cost is what you are worried about, buy a pull up bar, use a chair to help you until you can do it on your own, and do push ups and curl old milk jugs filled with water. You can also do squats with the jugs to tone legs. Also, remember, to build muscle, lift more weight at lower reps, for toning, lighter weight with more reps. Do this, for three months, and you will see a tremendous difference.
ShadowMoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2012, 08:39 PM   #7
Libis

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiritheBlue View Post
Don't you love martial arts? I actually did Taekwondo, so I have nice strong thighs and get annoyed at how all my jeans are like that - too big at the waist and too small in the thigh. Looks like more upper body stuff for me. ^_^;
lol, yeah--it was already hard for me to find pants--now it's getting really hard. Maybe I'll just have to go to guy's baggier jeans with the adjustable waists lol. Or go back to my Tripps. They're adjustable. I wonder if my thighs still fit in them. XD
Libis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2012, 10:51 PM   #8
Overbeck
Grabbin' Pills

You can get some dumb bell weights cheap at walmart. Start with curls for the front of your arms (biceps), behind your head presses for the back of your arms (triceps) and flys for your shoulders (deltoids). I would do higher reps with lower weight for toning, higher weight with less reps for strength. Maybe start with 2 sets each and move up to 3 sets each when you get stronger. Watching your diet close and cardio workouts will also help get rid of the fat and show your muscle definition better. Hope this helps and good luck.
Overbeck is offline   Reply With Quote