Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photo Critique

Unread 04-11-2012, 08:33 AM   #1
milo1312

Anime boston photo

We just had anime boston and i did some shoots. A group also asked me to double exposure as well i dont know how i feel about it yet....i think its kinda cool but not sure feed back would be great thank you

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater

milo1312 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-11-2012, 12:12 PM   #2
brucer007
Bruce Heinsius

#1 I really like this first shot, in how you captured so many vibrant colors; her warm skin-tones, her green eyes, the blue hat and hair, and the red color reflected on the hand-cuffs. Shooting through the hand-cuffs creates a very nice frame within a frame.

#2 This shot has a similar idea, but lacks the composition, lighting, and pleasing contrast. The face is too blown out in some areas. The hand-cuffs are almost too blurry to identify. Compositionally, the tightness of the framing conceals the shape of her hair, making it seem like it could go on forever, giving the face an unflattering wide look. There is also a over-head ceiling light coming in on her left cheek that causes a shadow effect on her eye. I see something that looks like bubbles on her bottom row of teeth...

#3 I have a personal like for Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. The color is nice, as is the pose. I like the multiple images of the hands and the Morpher, giving the effect of movement, but I think seeing one head might work better. There is a lot of grainy noise in the green background. Part of the background detail bleeds through the Red Ranger, making him seem transparent, like a ghost.

#4 This double image does have a more interesting effect overall. It seems like two Red Rangers are fighting each other. I am not sure if the transparent look was deliberate or just something hard to control. If you prefer them to look solid, I recommend using the Clone Tool to conceal the details of the background seen on the costume. Also, be careful when part of their body is against a very bright area. This caused pert of the right Red Ranger to lose part of his back. The limp wrist on the left Red Ranger looks a bit out of character for a martial artist of Karate.

#5 This final double image at first looked like a mess, but with closer observation made more sense to me. I do like the face with a smaller face in front of it. The nearly closed eyes give it an eerie look. One problem that lingers is the white area under her nose, looks like a paper napkin stuffed up her nose. A blurring of the background would also keep my eyes on the faces.

Last edited by brucer007 : 04-11-2012 at 04:00 PM.
brucer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 12:10 PM   #3
milo1312

Bruce is there a way so they dont look like ghost in shoot in double exposure? Its the first time i have used it....i thought that is how its ment to look.
Unread 04-12-2012, 12:29 PM   #4
brucer007
Bruce Heinsius

I assume you used a 35mm film camera to do actual double exposure. If so, They will look like ghosts if they overlap anything that is bright enough to show through your subject. If your subject is wearing bright clothing, like white, for example, dark areas behind them should not show through. It all has to do with brightness, darkness, and placement of the model with other elements.

Maybe you could try combining images in post editing. You will have more control of placing them.
brucer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 02:13 PM   #5
milo1312

I used 55-105mm lens on my DSLR. I dont use film. The camera combines the two photos together for me. I use a nikon D90. It was my first time doing that double exposure because someone asked for it....i did not even know my camera could do it till they asked. I did not like that ghost looking thing that much like i said i kinda like it but i am not going to keep doing it. I will do it if people ask. I was wondering if there was a way to make them more solid looking. I will try what you said thank you for your help Bruce.
Unread 04-12-2012, 06:52 PM   #6
Django117

I like the way you did the ghost image ones, however, my only bit of constructive criticism is to not let the camera move as much or change its position. By doing that you make it a bit painful to the eye, such as it is in the ground of the power ranger photo. Other than that, I absolutely love these! They're very well done.
Django117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2012, 10:11 PM   #7
ACRPhotography
Professional Photographer

I'm not really liking the double exposure to be honest. It just looks like camera blur except the one where the power ranger is looking like he's stabbing through the other. The last one...is just a mess. Completely. I don't know how it could make any sense. It's over lapping too much and just doesn't really fit the picture.

You have to be really careful with what you double expose, it is something that I don't really like to do. Don't let your camera do stuff like that for you, you should really learn to do a composite shot in photoshop it could come out MUCH cleaner and wouldn't look like you don't know what you're doing.

I don't like the second photograph. Skin retouching would of really helped with that matt look on her. Giving her smooth skin would of been a better idea. But I like the first one very very vibrant!
ACRPhotography is offline   Reply With Quote