Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-21-2012, 12:55 AM   #1
technicalityX
NOBLE 22, lost in battle

Cosplay speed dating, Dating in General

the next con im going to
i hear theres going to be a speed dating thing...
my first thoughts were ummm wow
but since im single again and my hand broke up with me i feel like ill go and join the rest of the lonely loony folk looking for love at the Con.

has anyone ever done it?
or met a gf or bf at cons??

btw the whole hand thing. faaaake JS
technicalityX is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-21-2012, 01:03 AM   #2
angelbabycakes
Scorchcake

Usually the speed dating is just a game and for fun. It is not supposed to be taken seriously, and it's probably strongly discouraged. At least this has been my experience and knowledge of the speed dating scene at cosplay events.

Also, never met a boyfriend at a cosplay event, but I did meet a guy I went on a few dates with (he was a friend of a friend). He was a super cool guy and a blast to hang out with (we ended up having tons in common) and we're still friends today.

Last edited by angelbabycakes : 04-21-2012 at 01:09 AM.
angelbabycakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2012, 01:55 PM   #3
The_Killer_Hare
Bunny of Death

If I found out that a con had speed dating, I would do Nappa from DBZ and do the entire speed dating thing acting like his abridged version. Nothing like seeing pure confusion dissolve into helpless laughter. Then again, I am a twisted little monkey that uses goofball humor like that to cover up how much of an emotional wreck I would be at it too.

Last edited by The_Killer_Hare : 04-21-2012 at 01:59 PM.
The_Killer_Hare is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2012, 02:04 PM   #4
Makira
Show me where ya noms at.

I've never done it, but I think it could be a fun way to make friends, or at least have some fun. And who knows, maybe there is someone there you would click with right away. If anything, it would be just a fun experience and something to laugh about later, because I'm sure it's highly entertaining.
Social Cosplay- http://www.socialcos.com/profile/41
Youtube- http://www.youtube.com/user/MissMakira

Cons- AM2, Anime Expo 2012, Anime Vegas 2012, Animegacon 2012
Makira is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2012, 02:46 PM   #5
belligerent
Viking Metal

Yeah, I'm not sure how serious the "dating" aspect of these things are. Going into it with the mindset of making a few new acquaintances and not taking it too seriously is probably the best course to take.

As for my own experiences with meeting potential significant others at cons, it's very difficult to meet men interested in dating women when you're a convincing crossplayer, so cruising for love interests is pretty much the last thing on my mind.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Nephrite
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #6
CiralFox

Usually the "speed dating" is for fun. Not to actually get a date. The only "dating" I have seen was the dating game at AnimeNext, which is literally an improv skit-game show. It's very funny.

As for meeting a person at a con. I met a guy a year ago at AnimeNext, very nice. And when we go this year, we'll be officially dating. So, it can happen.
Shampoo (Ranma 1/2)
Saturday
Rin (Inu Yasha)with
Kagome Higurashi (Inu Yasha)
Sunday
Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service)with
Chihiro (Spirited Away)
CiralFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2012, 03:19 PM   #7
TheJasmineErin
Geekery to the Extreme

I'm pretty sure speed dating at cons is just a way to pass the time and have fun, and it isn't taken too seriously.

As for the dating aspect, I have two stories:
One of my friends is a Maka (Soul Eater) cosplayer, and at one con she found this Soul Eater group that didn't have a Maka. They were a littler older than us, but she started hanging out with them, and she and the Soul in that group got pretty close.
That was last August, and they've been dating ever since, and he's moving to our city in a few months.

The other story is about my best friend and cosplay partner. She was playing violin Friday at the same con I was talking about in the above story, and saw this guy, sitting alone, looking upset. She walked over to where he was sitting and played a song for him, then left.
The next day he found her and told my friend that what she did really cheered him up, and they hit it off.
We eventually found him on the con's site and she talked to him on Facebook for a long time, and she really liked him. They have since stopped talking, because of outside circumstances, but they were really sweet together.

Lots of people find relationships at cons. You just have to be friendly and outgoing (and not act like a creeper.) The people at conventions have lots of things in common, so its not that hard to find someone you fit together with. You just have to have to be patient and lucky.

Future Cosplays
John Egbert
Sollux Captor
Terezi Pyrope
Kanaya Maryam
Promstuck Vriska
Kurloz Makara
Sansa Stark (Game of Thrones)
Amon (Legend of Korra)
Denmark (Hetalia)
TheJasmineErin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2012, 06:14 PM   #8
dangs

What I heard is that the speed dating at cons is a great way to get make friends. Friends are usually a start to a new relationship if you try. Who knows, maybe that one person that you meet, might be interested in you. I believe that the speed dating event is easier then meeting people at cons because both you and the other person are looking for a relationship and also you don't have to go on a journey to find and try to meet new people. It isn't serious if you don't make it serious, so try at least. Good Luck!

I never met a girlfriend at a convention, let alone in my personal life had one, BUT I have made friends that are girls at conventions and who knows, if I try hard enough they might become my girlfriend. Haha, I am not really interested in a relationship at the moment and I just want to be friends with the people I meet. LOL

Last edited by dangs : 04-22-2012 at 01:35 AM. Reason: whoops used a quote wrong
dangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2012, 01:24 AM   #9
The_Killer_Hare
Bunny of Death

It's true, "nice guys" finish last. Or not at all. I won't turn this into a spirited lecture about the "nice" guy and his passive aggressive attempt at winning a woman over. If you want to complain, you can contact me. But you gotta actually show interest in the woman. Too many of these "nice" guys act like their friends in hopes that that obligates the woman. But I digress.

Just turn this speed dating thing into fun. That's the best idea I can give you, just have fun.
The_Killer_Hare is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2012, 07:56 AM   #10
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

I have always wanted to try it -- but I was either in a relationship at the time or too chicken.
Unread 04-22-2012, 08:14 AM   #11
Firefly77

I did meet a guy at a con and we started dating later. He ended up being a nutcase. >.>

But to echo other people, just go into it with the mindset of having fun and maybe making friends, and then see later if those friendships develop into anything.
Firefly77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2012, 08:38 PM   #12
ChocoboxDreamer
Master Derper

Aha at my next con, there is actually supposed to be a speed dating thing.. I wouldn't do it, seeing that I have a boyfriend now. But, I mean.. strange things have been known to happen. There's always some awesome and chill people to meet at cons! So along with what everyone else is saying, go at it with an open mind and you never know what may happen.
Tutankhamun - Eiyuu Senki (0% complete)

The Untold Stories of a Dreamer
Ethereal Whisper Photography
ChocoboxDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2012, 09:17 PM   #13
Andrea
Stupid Sexy Kotetsu

I'd never been interested in speed dating even before my prospects went way, way down due to my realizing I was ace. Not too many people want to have a quick, speedy, casual relationship with an asexual.

I met my fiancee at a con, though we'd known each other online for a few years before. ACen was just a convenient place for us (and a bunch of other people we knew online) to get together in person. That was ACen 2004, this week we're going to ACen 2012...
Unread 04-30-2012, 07:49 PM   #14
nanakiff7
Chibi Oreo

If I did do speed dating at a con, it would be for fun and in character, since I am currently in the most wonderful relationship EVER.

(Speed dating with a Charmander, anyone? Lol.)

Anime North 2012
All Weekend: Charmander - Pokemon/Delcatty - Pokemon

My DeviantART - Please look for cosplay photos here, NOT on Cosplay.com!
nanakiff7 is offline   Reply With Quote