Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 01-24-2004, 02:18 PM   #1
kilvear
part-time cosplayer

Posted my make-up sequence in gallery

Hi I'm new to posting in the forums. Just posted my sequence of make-up done by aunt.

You can leave comments on the pictures thanks =D
kilvear is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-06-2004, 10:14 PM   #2
DarkindDreamer

pretty awesome job.. i was just wanting to post here so i could send a link to some recent pix of some crossplaying, sorta was going for a dark haired britney spears.. i totally love how my make up turned out, just shows that practice makes perfect.

PHOTO
(part of my photo gallery)
Unread 02-06-2004, 10:29 PM   #3
dani
Boots were made 4 walking

You two raising the bar here...

What makeup products, colors, techniques did you use? I have experimented and practised lots on foundation, base and beard concealing, but when it comes to colors I'm very old school as you can see from my pics...

Please share..

Dani
dani is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2004, 05:34 PM   #4
DarkindDreamer

well as a foundation i use Max Factor pan-stik 101 (natural).. it's the closest to my natural color and covers in stuble well, which is a good thing because even right after shaving i still show little black spots where my hair is. i then set it with translucent Airspun face powder. for Highlights (for face shaping) i use Ben Nye's Pretty Pink Translucent face powder, this keeps the highlights looking natural and not so painted on since it barely shows up unless light reflects off of it. i do this on the chick bones going up high into my hairline, above the ears. i also do this on the center of my forehead and down to my nose. for shadows (more face shaping) i am currently using Cover Girl's toasted almond pressed powder. i use this below the chick bones going up to my ears, from the out eyes up nd around my forehead, then on the sides of my nose into my eye socket (to thin out my nose) and under my chin and slightly onto my jaw making it blind into the under part of my chin to round out the face. i then use a rosey pink color on my apples of my cheeks and blend all together so there are no hard make up lines.
for the eyes.
i put just as much time into the eyes as i do the rest of my face..
i begin by painting a black line from just beyond my outer eye going just above the natural crevse my eye makes stopping where my inner eye stops (going from thick to thin), i use wet eyeshadow and a brush for this, onces it dries i blind it on the inner part of the eyes to the lash line with foundation. this creates an outter hard line and a soft inner line the dissappears. i use a white shadow on the innder part of the lash line blinding towards the dark line for added depth. (colors can also be put in it's place. i thin add false lashes. then clean my eye lash line with liquid eyeliner starting at the inner eye going from thin to thick to thin. the thickest spot being in the middle of the eye. the line goes beyond the eye swopping upward. a guy wants to always draw eye lines going up and outwards to make the face seem more rounded, if you draw it straight out it will add width to the face upposed to rounding it. i also draw this line under my eye going around the tear ducts (leaving a small gap all around the lower eye, foloowing under the lash line) and go around the bottom of the eye thinning it out to where the last bottom lashes are. i then go back with a white pencil or white liquid liner if you can find it and put a line above the black line on the upper eye to the tear ducts. then do the same inside of the black line. (so you have tear duct, white spot, then the black line going around it), then start another line under the tear duct and fade out, after this use macasara. Using white at the tear ducts and around the eyes can take YEARS off your life and makes you seem younger and having glowing skin, This is a Kevyn Aucoin trick.
Lips..
i draw a line around my lips in a brown, normally going beyound the size of my natural lips at the top and bottom since guys tend to have smaller lips, i thin color in and fade out towards the center of the lips using the same brown ,leaving 1/3 totally untouched by color another third lightly colored and so on.. i then use a cranberry color and cover my whole lips even the drawn on lip line. i use a brush.. i smooth it all out, by this point the center of your lips will be cranberry and as your lips go towards the end it gets darker making your lips look thicker and fuller, to further this look i use a small amount of a rose pink cover at the center of my lips right where the lips meet fading out, this should not stand out as another color on your lips once blinded, but rather a highlight on the lips. in my opionion this also makes you appear younger..

well. .that's about it.. i think i will also post this with my picture for other people than happen to run into this picture..

Thanks for asking this question.. you someone hadn't i prolly would have never sat here and wrote this out!! ha Ha
.. hope i've helped.. and if you have any other questions feel free to sent me a message..!
Unread 02-07-2004, 11:19 PM   #5
dani

Thanks lots for such detailed and juicy explanation. I'll probably print it and go over it slowly many times over. The more I learn, the more I find out all that I have yet to learn....

Now two related questions:

- It looks amazing on a picture, and I bet it also would from a stage. How does it look face to face? Is it smooth enough to go around town, or it has a definite stage appearance?

- How long does the ritual take?

Thanks

Dani
dani is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2004, 11:36 PM   #6
DarkindDreamer

well the make up job i did were for photos, so it's darker than it should for day to day, but lighter than for the stage.. to go out in this you follow the same process just using less contrasty shadows and blend the make up more.

time.. well.. i have gotten to a point where i can do my face in 30 minutes.. but.. before i got so used to the process and was still experimenting it took close to two hours.
Unread 02-25-2004, 03:06 PM   #7
kilvear
part-time cosplayer

AH stupid me original poster forgot to check back. Was so busy with looking for a job.

Anyways the whole sequence was done by my aunt. I do have some idea what she did.

First she use a skin color cream make up before putting foundation on me. The cream did most of the covered up for my beard and moustache. I have rather fast and thick growing beard and moustache which is not good for crossplaying.

Other that that was normal make up and shaved off my eyebrows slightly to make them look thinner.

Being dark the color of make up was darker and portraying a cool looking female she draw eyebrows that were going upwards. I didn't use fake eye brows as my own ones were pretty long which cause some jealousy of my female friends who was taking pictures(blessing or curse?)

That's about what I know. Its' definitly lesser than what Darkind Dreamers explaination.
kilvear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2004, 10:23 AM   #8
Anele
Cosplaying the Rare Ones

Since you guys are gender-defying make-up experts, any pointers on making a female face look more masculine with make-up application? *points at avatar picture* Especially for him?
Anele is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2004, 10:49 AM   #9
dani

Honestly I wouldn't know where to start, Anele. I do know that people on the crossplay board have been discussing this. F => M seems to be more common than the opposite so I'm sure there is info there for you.

Luck...
Dani
Unread 02-26-2004, 11:18 AM   #10
Anele
Cosplaying the Rare Ones

I checked, Dani... but nothing I could really use. I posted this same question elsewhere, but no one really gave me a definite answer. So, I came here, to the make-up experts (as I said), hoping they could help me out. ^^;;
Unread 02-26-2004, 11:42 AM   #11
dani

Do you have a pic to see what are we starting with?

Dani
Unread 02-26-2004, 03:55 PM   #12
0bscurity
Rolo Tony

^.^ Sugoi!! ~_~ You guys are all so pretty. Meh. No fair. I'm such a crossplay flunkie. I need lessons or something...All the people I've asked say I'm -way- to girl-y looking to make myself look masculine or androgynous at all. x_x

Next Up: Ohayocon (Henry [SH4]), SDCC, DragonCon, Youmacon.

Planned: Finishing Slurper, Ultra Magnus, Tali, Big Sister? Not sure when for any of them.

Last edited by 0bscurity : 02-26-2004 at 03:57 PM.
0bscurity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2004, 04:22 PM   #13
Anele
Cosplaying the Rare Ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by dani
Do you have a pic to see what are we starting with?

Dani
To whom this may concern:

Here are pictures of Sephiroth. My costume is not based on the Advent Children movie version of Sephiroth, but on the Final Fantasy VII video game version. If it would help decide what make-up I need to achieve a "Sephiroth face" look, please go ahead and look at A.C. photos. Again, I'm focusing more on the video game version.

Please assist this poor soul! Thanks!
Unread 02-26-2004, 06:02 PM   #14
dani

Those are the pics you want to end with. I'd also like to see a pic of YOU, to see the "canvas" we will be working on...

Dani
Unread 02-26-2004, 06:30 PM   #15
Anele
Cosplaying the Rare Ones

Oh, hehe, sorry, I'll see if I can get a good headshot. XD