Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Unread 04-23-2012, 03:01 PM   #1
AshofRebirth

Wig shampoo/conditioner vs regular shampoo/conditioner..?

So.. ever since I've started reading up on wigs, getting wigs, etc.. pretty much every tutorial or person I've gotten advice says you can use plain shampoo and conditioner to wash your wig.

Well today, I've been told that regular shampoo and conditioner actually breaks down the fibers of the wig! The fibers will come out in chunks and it will tangle more easily.. And wig shampoo/conditioner is really best to use..

I'm very surprised, even a bit skeptical because.. I've never heard of this o3o

Could anyone tell me more about this? I just want to know for sure and if I should start buying wig shampoo and conditioner

I support Loose Cannons Props! And you should too!
AshofRebirth is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #2
Ani_BEE
Freaky Fabulous!

Well regular conditioner don't really fork on synthetic wigs unless they are super simple.

Basicall you can use baby shapoo on wigs and it get the job done where as more complex shampoo/conditioner might leave a film on the wigs.

I've personal never bothers using Wig shampoo/conditioners as they are harder to get and cost more per volume.

Costume-Con 32
Souryuu ~ Yami no Matsuei
Jack & Red Queen

Anime North
Laplace no Ma
Souryuu/Regina ~ Once Upon a Time
Nehelenia

Future cosplays/cons:
Madeline Hatter Legacy Day
Sakizou Arachne
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
My Wigs • Mascot, Costumes (Humanity has Declined) & D.Gray-man Poker Cards • Zori&Tabi from Japan
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 04:11 PM   #3
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Wigs are plastic, and it's pretty damn hard to damage the fibers with anything besides heat. Regular shampoo, and even dish soap will work just fine on a wig. (Heck, if plastic gets so damaged by shampoo, then why are the bottles it comes in made of the stuff?).
As well, unless you're going to keep wearing the wig heavily for YEARS, washing it a few times a year isn't going to do enough, if any, harm quickly enough to make a difference. I'd only use the wig-formulated shampoo and conditioner for a wig that was going to be worn almost every day.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 12:09 PM   #4
AshofRebirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
Wigs are plastic, and it's pretty damn hard to damage the fibers with anything besides heat. Regular shampoo, and even dish soap will work just fine on a wig. (Heck, if plastic gets so damaged by shampoo, then why are the bottles it comes in made of the stuff?).
See... this is what I thought. Then I thought "Well maybe there's some ingredient that's not compatible with plastic but it somehow with human hair..?"

I support Loose Cannons Props! And you should too!
AshofRebirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 02:10 PM   #5
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Pretty much just buying a gentle, or heck, a cheap, shampoo will do you fine. Human hair shampoo usually has added stuff MEANT for human hair, but it won't cause any harm to a wig.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote