Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 04-26-2012, 09:39 PM   #1
Yoraeryu

Help: Veigar Hat

Hello! First time cosplayer here. Well, at least, first time actually creating a costume.

I went pretty ambitious and chose Veigar from league of Legends.

However, I'm a little unsure on a few things.

For instance, how do I go about creating a core for the top of his hat that will support its shape? I have already sprayed out half of the top in spray foam, but I'm unsure of its stability (especially when I put cloth over it).

And what would be a good, supportive base for the brim of his hat and his collar? I have some wonderflex, but I don't know if it will stand up to the Memorial Day sun at Anime North.

Thanks for the advice in advance!
Yoraeryu is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-29-2012, 11:01 PM   #2
Yoraeryu

Bump!

Could really use some help and/or advice from experienced costumers.
Unread 04-29-2012, 11:43 PM   #3
GuoBia

Are you talking about the odd-shaped purple thing coming off of the top? I thought it was just cloth over a wire base. But I don't see what's wrong with the sprayfoam mold idea, aside from that it might be a little bit fragile.
GuoBia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 07:38 AM   #4
Penlowe

why not start with... a hat? that is a purple fedora with cool stuff added on, why reinvent the wheel when a pretty accurate base can be acquired easily? http://www.spirithalloween.com/produ...-BB82AC382214/
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 09:40 AM   #5
Yoraeryu

I was actually thinking of getting a witch's hat and using that for the base... The fedora looks pretty good, though.

I just scrapped the foam base. Its way too heavy and it creaked and cracked when I wiggled it a little. :<

How would I go about making a wire frame to look poofy, like what the plume is in the picture? Just a lot of rings with material stretched tight over them?
Unread 05-09-2012, 06:04 PM   #6
Chi0ri

Hey! I do lots of LoL cosplay and I have ahri, and lulu in the plans next xD I also suggest starting with a hat with the right brim. Make the buckles out of craft foam and styrene (or some other very thin plastic) for sturdiness but also lightweight-ness. you could also try paper clay and hot glue, but it may crack since your head moves a lot hah. or mix the two and use the paper lay for the 3d bumps and spikes. attach the purple floaty stuff first so that the buckles and all that jazz will cover your seems. i would make that out of light wire and fabric if you want it to look floaty. make a 3d shape with the wire and bend it all crazy like, then just lay the fabric over the base. you could probably get away with using just hot glue and/or fabric glue. Hope this gives you an idea >__< LuLu's has is pretty crazy too haha
Chi0ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2012, 08:01 PM   #7
Yoraeryu

Hello,

I've gotten the base shape of the hat finished, it is only waiting for the "metal" bands and spikes to go on it.

Unfortunately I'm a little stuck again, I'm afraid. I've gotten the gloves mostly done, I just need to cover them in Wonderflex and paint them.

However, while the fingers are mostly immobile and should not give me much trouble, I am wondering what to do for the soft parts and moving joints on the gloves. I imagine Wonderflex isn't that mobile... I currently have them covered in duct tape, but it doesn't look like a finished surface at all. Should I look in to getting some silver felt to cover those parts? They're supposed to be metallic-like...

I'm at quite a loss again! :<
Unread 05-10-2012, 08:13 PM   #8
rj_sosongco
Rated R for Radical!

Indeed, wonderflex has some flexibility but it's still plastic, so you'll need to make joints in the pieces to close your hand, grab things, etc...The gloves look like plated armor, so I'd make the plates from separate pieces of Wonderflex and glue them to a base glove. Depending on how open those breaks are, duct taoe showing thru may not be a problem, but if the breaks in the armor open up a lot, you may need to cover the joints in some kind of material, like your silver felt or something, although vinyl would probably be a better solution to getting it smooth and metal-like.
rj_sosongco is offline   Reply With Quote