Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Pacific Media Expo

Unread 01-25-2004, 09:49 PM   #1
shogun

PMX: New direction for masquerade

Well, this should be an interesting masquerade. I want to try a lot of new things that we weren't allowed to do at AX:

1) Larger venue: This one hosts 8,000 people.
2) Better sound & light: I want to use the same equipment TMR does.
3) Pre-sales of tickets: We are going to SELL tickets to the masquerade pre-con. Hopefully this gets rid of the 4AM lines and increases the odds friends can sit together. (The fee will be $3-7) (Also note that all the money is going back into the cosplay/masquerade budget.)
4) Masquerade Green Room: I'd like to give the contestants a better environment to wait in before the performance. This will also include drinks and snacks.
5) Longer skits and fewer performances: With the increase in no-shows and the retirement of many of the larger groups, I'd like to focus more on quality over quantity.
6) Cash Prizes: Because the masquerade now focuses on much more than anime, it no longer makes sense to give out anime merchandise. I've also talked to many cosplayers and they would prefer to just be able to afford more material to make even more costumes.
7) Creation of a cosplay photo zone for the cosplayers.

Any other suggestions?

Mike
shogun is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-25-2004, 10:50 PM   #2
Gundam_MkIII
The Deadliest Shaman

man, those all sound like awesome faetures of the masq. contest, a suggestion that ive alway thought would be good is maybe a fan favorites judging, like you have slpis for ppl to fill out duiring the contest and at the judging pick them out and sort them to choose a winner for a fan favorite.

"Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible. "
- T.E. Lawrence
Gundam_MkIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2004, 11:37 PM   #3
Clueless Case
unce unce unce!

Where is the Masq gonna be?

Taking Wig Commissions
Clueless Case is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2004, 01:21 PM   #4
AngelJibrille
PMX Cosplay Mistress

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless Case
Where is the Masq gonna be?
It's going to be at the Arena in the Anaheim Convention Center The convention itself is centered at the Anaheim Hilton & the Anaheim Convention Center.

The Masquerade is going to be run by me, Marisa, I also run the Masquerades at Anime Expo and Anime Boston

Cool things about this Masquerade:
- We will have microphones for those who want to sing
- It's not just anime! Costumes can be based on Asian film (such as characters from Battle Royale (Japan) or Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon), Asian animation (such as Yu-Gi-Oh or the Korean animation Wonderful Days), Asian comics (such as the Japanese Card Captor Sakura, Korean I.N.V.U, or Chinese Story of the Tao), Asian-origin video game (such as Final Fantasy or Ragnarok Online), or Asian music stars (such as Malice Mizer or Morning Musume).
- We have cash prizes

You can read more about it and register here:
http://www.pacific-media-expo.org/pmx/costume.html

Prizes:
Award Category 1: Presentation/Performance
The presentation awards are based on your skit, routine, walk-on, or performance. The quality of your costume often factors into your presentation, but simple costumes have won the highest awards in the past when coupled with a superior skit or routine.
---------------------------------
$750 -> Best of Show, Presentation
$150 -> Judges Award, Presentation
Prize Package -> Best of Show, Presentation, Junior/Youth
Prize Package -> Honorable Mention, Presentation

Award Category 2: Craftsmanship
The craftsmanship awards are based on the design, construction, execution, and general presentation of your costume.
---------------------------------
$750 -> Best of Show, Craftsmanship, Group
$350 -> Best of Show, Craftsmanship, Individual
$250 -> Design Award, Craftsmanship
$150 -> Judges Award, Craftsmanship
Prize Package -> Honorable Mention, Craftsmanship, Group
Prize Package -> Honorable Mention, Craftsmanship, Individual

We hope to see you there!
Misa
AngelJibrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2004, 04:00 PM   #5
shogun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundam_MkIII
man, those all sound like awesome faetures of the masq. contest, a suggestion that ive alway thought would be good is maybe a fan favorites judging, like you have slpis for ppl to fill out duiring the contest and at the judging pick them out and sort them to choose a winner for a fan favorite.
We've considered this possibility. The only problem is that in a room with an 8,000 person capacity, it would take a whole room of staffers about an entire day to tabulate all the votes. We are including prizes to be awarded by the judges discretion, so that should also cover people who may not have won the main prizes. Never underestimate the roar of the crowd in swaying judges.

Mike
Unread 01-31-2004, 02:56 PM   #6
Kitty
uallshittalktoomuch

That is very true if it wasent for all the cheering I got in past shows I doubt me and my friends would have gotten awards.

Shogun I am very much looking forward to this one but the problem is what do I wear to really knock them dead? Hmmmm the next couple of months are gonna be hard working ones with costumes for me.

I think it is a great idea to have cash prizes to help all of us make better costumes.
Unread 02-01-2004, 04:45 AM   #7
shogun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty
That is very true if it wasent for all the cheering I got in past shows I doubt me and my friends would have gotten awards.

Shogun I am very much looking forward to this one but the problem is what do I wear to really knock them dead? Hmmmm the next couple of months are gonna be hard working ones with costumes for me.

I think it is a great idea to have cash prizes to help all of us make better costumes.
I think an authentic Tiramisu costume would win the fan vote. I am not certain of what would win over the judges though. Personally, I always lean more heavily towards the best performance category. To really appreciate best craftsmanship, you have to get pretty up close and personal. Most fans never really get to do that or appreciate that.

As to the money, I think it's the fair thing to do. However, I just hope that it doesn't affect the feeling of fun and community that you can usually feel in the masquerades.

Mike
Unread 02-02-2004, 01:39 AM   #8
Kitty
uallshittalktoomuch

Sad to say that is exactly what happend to me at last years first Las Vegas comic con . Everyone there was thinking that they were going to win the money and when they didnt things got ugly on the board a bit after the con.I felt that I had to say my thoughts of how judges pick the winners to make people less angry at me for winning a prizeI worked so hard to make . Even if things dont go so well I am still going to have a blast.

Ps. As for Tiramisu, I would love to do that costume but I dont look like her much I try to pick the anime I love and charecters I look like but hey you may get lucky and some cosplayer might tie you up and hunt you down like she does ^_____^ Lets just hope its not a crossplayer who does the costume LOL.
Unread 02-02-2004, 04:26 AM   #9
shogun

A few things I forgot to mention about the Anaheim Arena. Because it is a full concert venue, the masquerade contestands will also get a few other amenities. We have three full dressing rooms available for contestants and two locker rooms available for use as well. We THINK we can get a masquerade green room up and running in there, but I'm still negotiating those details out.

Mike
Unread 02-02-2004, 05:07 AM   #10
Squall
Woo-Hoo!!!

coolness! it should be fun

Last edited by Squall : 02-02-2004 at 05:09 AM.
Squall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2004, 12:31 PM   #11
Kitty
uallshittalktoomuch

Wow you guys are going all out for this one! It will be nice to get treated so well.
Thank you Mike for focusing on the cosplayers so much .
Unread 02-08-2004, 03:03 AM   #12
shogun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty
Wow you guys are going all out for this one! It will be nice to get treated so well.
Thank you Mike for focusing on the cosplayers so much .
Well, I think cosplayers are very important to a convention. If anything, they are to cons what many of the characters walking around Disneyland are to the entire Disney experience.

As to masquerade, I think that it is a big draw for fans to conventions, so cons should treat the participants with respect and should share some of what they generate with the same cosplay community.

Mike
Unread 02-08-2004, 03:09 AM   #13
Gundam_MkIII
The Deadliest Shaman

wow, im very glad to see such a positive view towards the cosplayers. do you happen to know anything on the weapons policy yet? cause i want to start on my kwan dao prop v2 and i wanted to make the blade out of metal but with out any sharp edges or tip, think that's be ok?

"Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible. "
- T.E. Lawrence
Unread 02-08-2004, 06:24 AM   #14
shogun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundam_MkIII
wow, im very glad to see such a positive view towards the cosplayers. do you happen to know anything on the weapons policy yet? cause i want to start on my kwan dao prop v2 and i wanted to make the blade out of metal but with out any sharp edges or tip, think that's be ok?
Since I have the former security head of AX writing the weapons policies, I doubt if it would change too much. I've talked a lot to the city to see what flexibility I can get on props, but for the most part, they keep saying that ever since 9/11 and Columbine, there is NO way to tell if a prop is fake or has a dull edge. They will always shoot before risking themselves. My other concern is that I have seen some professionals with live steel before doing demos. Fans can buy live steel in the exhibit hall and try to mimic them. Because the fans are a danger to the community when mimicing the pros, my inclination is to ban the pros from doing demos in public as well. Granted, we are a smaller con, so you will be endangering fewer people, but as we grow, I'd like to have fans feel that the rules are always consistent.

Sorry, but the live steel rule will remain the same. We MIGHT have some flexibility with demos in controlled areas, but that might be about it.

Mike
Unread 02-08-2004, 12:51 PM   #15
Gundam_MkIII
The Deadliest Shaman

oh thats fine but what about something like aluminum?, cause i was planning on using that

- T.E. Lawrence