Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 08-12-2012, 08:02 AM   #1
Kyuushin
Wakawakawakawaka

P90X/Insanity

Ive been meaning to start working out just to keep in shape since I'm really out of it. I've been considering starting one of those super intense workout programs with a couple of my friends. One of my friends is an army fellow so he's already pretty fit. He'll be there as a coach and motivation. My other friend is there because she hates running as much as I do.

Problem is, I'm really, really out of shape. Like bad. Im pretty skinny so that's not the problem. The problem is that my stamina is crap as is my cardio and muscles, of which I have none. So needless to say I'm a bit terrified.

I figured I'd just go with it and each workout session do as much as I can until I can't move anymore and just try and go for longer and longer each time. Good plan, bad plan, other suggestions?

Unread 08-12-2012, 09:11 AM   #2
smoreface

I would reccomend doing a little research about this workout.
To me, it seems like you're looking for a quick fix and these videos usually are for those who have some stamina/who work out.
I though those video weren't for beginners but I also do not know if they have a beginners level? Check to see what the video includes and what guidelines it has.

But if this video doesn't work out. Instead of running your friend can walk a quick pace on an incline? Your coach should also be able to tell you some alternatives to the video.

Tldr; usually these videos are too hard for begiiners. Though they sometimes have a level 1. Your coach should also be able to tell you if its good or bad and some alternatives.
Unread 08-12-2012, 09:37 AM   #3
Kiro

P90X has a fitness test to see if you're ready for P90X: http://www.beachbody.com/text/produc...90xFitTest.pdf

Even if you're not ready, you can definitely pace yourself throughout the workout program. It's important to note that the emphasis should be on quality and not quantity, meaning you shouldn't sacrifice form for more reps. That said, the program recommends that you keep track of your progress (ie how many reps of each exercise you do) and try to do more each time you go through the exercises. Workout sheets can be downloaded here: http://www.beachbody.com/text/produc...Worksheets.pdf

There aren't levels, but they do have three possible paths that you can try. Don't remember the names, but it equates to something like normal, extreme, and lean (more cardio-focused). Can't really say that any of these paths are really easier than the others since you're just doing the same exercises in a different order and frequency. You can always create your own path, if necessary.

It is a hard program (though I believe Insanity is even harder), but if you stick to it, you should see results. I've tried it several times before and could not stick with it (makes you feel incredibly sore the next morning), but once my gym membership expires, I'll probably give it another try.

2015 Conventions
AnimeNEXT
MAGFest?
Otakon?
PAX East
PwnEm Con?
Steampunk World's Fair?

2014 Conventions
Anime Boston
AnimeNEXT
CastlePoint
Otakon
Steampunk World's Fair
Kiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2012, 10:16 AM   #4
murderprincess

I am currently doing Insanity for the second time. The first time I did lose some inches but I felt that I really was more conditioning my body to be able to go longer and workout harder rather than lose inches. I did not follow the diet plan with the first time so I know that also didnt help but now that I am for the second time the results are great.

I have tried P90X but a lot of the moves I had to just stand there and wait till it was done because I just wasnt in shape to do them. I find Insanity to have moves that can at least be tried.

Good luck!
murderprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2012, 12:17 PM   #5
DomiStar
DomiStar

I have insanity and have begun it a couple of times. In the video shaun t (the instructor) says go at your own pace. From when I started the video to the couple of weeks doing it you see your stamina go up. So it is defiantly manageable if your a "beginner" and you will start to adapt to it as you go through it. This workout also has a fit test which is pretty insane if you ask me so don't get too discouraged if you try it and feel like a zombie afterwards.

And I agree with muderprincess, just from doing a few weeks, I felt like it was more for conditioning, AT FIRST. But you have to try it to know it.
Sexy Mighty Morphin Pink Power Ranger

Emerald City Comic Con 2013
Storm 90's Version
Juliet Starling-Lollipop Chainsaw
Female Barret FF AC?

Sakura Con 2013
Korra-The Legend of Korra
Mighty Morphin Pink Power Ranger?
Female Barret FF AC
Sexy Female Brock-Pokemon

*Always seeking friends, especially in Washington*
DomiStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2012, 01:44 AM   #6
Kyuushin
Wakawakawakawaka

Thanks everyone for your tips. I'll check out the fitness test first, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to get one and just pace myself through it. I'm just looking for something I can do at home since I kinda of really, really hate running and gyms need money, of which I have none.
Unread 08-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #7
Drazhar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuushin View Post
Thanks everyone for your tips. I'll check out the fitness test first, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to get one and just pace myself through it. I'm just looking for something I can do at home since I kinda of really, really hate running and gyms need money, of which I have none.
Just remember that P90X uses much more equipment than Insanity, so there's that extra cost in it as well.
Drazhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 07:06 PM   #8
Lycoris Ousa
sleepy kitty

One of my friends is doign P90x and he said there was no equipment involved in it. I'm just doing Insanity, it's difficult but having fun with it.

*Con list*
AWA - 2014
Momo Con - 2014
Dragon*Con - 2014
Lycoris Ousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 07:25 PM   #9
kaligoddess
Frost Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycoris Ousa View Post
One of my friends is doign P90x and he said there was no equipment involved in it. I'm just doing Insanity, it's difficult but having fun with it.
Your friend is mistaken. For p90x you need either weights or resistance bands and a pull-up bar. Technically you can do the pullups with the bands, but you still need someplace to hook the bands (like over a pullup bar). You will want a mat for the ab routine and yoga and probably yoga blocks if you're not flexible. And a chair and towel for some exercises, but that's not really specialized equipment.
Unread 08-15-2012, 07:55 PM   #10
Lycoris Ousa
sleepy kitty

Yeah but bands aren't that much and I really don't count that as equipment.

*Con list*
AWA - 2014
Momo Con - 2014
Dragon*Con - 2014
Lycoris Ousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2012, 08:28 PM   #11
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

Try 10 minute trainer..same dude as P90 X and WAYYYYY easier for beginners.
Unread 08-18-2012, 09:05 PM   #12
Hagane No
Don't call me "Robin"

I would try 30 Day Shred by Jillian Michaels. If you feel that you can handle that for 30 days, then you will know if you are ready for p90x
Hagane No is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2012, 01:45 PM   #13
belligerent
Viking Metal

I've been doing p90x for about a week and it's extremely easy so far (aside from the yoga, but it's not difficult so much as it is boring as hell). Of course, I'm also pretty fit, and I've been going easy to start off with just because I hear so much about how difficult it is (and because my cousin managed to put himself in the hospital after 3 days of it). I run three miles and then do stationary bike for 20 min at lunch. Then I come home in the evenings and do p90x.

They do give you a lot of options to modify moves to make them easier, so I think if you're cautious and don't overdo it, it might be all right.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2012, 11:48 PM   #14
Slapthefatcat
The man with the guns.

Something that a lot of people do not know of is P90, it's the prequel to the P90x and I believe there is even a disclaimer on P90x that advises that you be able to finish the exercises in the original before you go extreme.
Slapthefatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2012, 03:34 AM   #15
Slayer Alex

lol yeah dont do p80x if you are just starting out. You simply wont be able to finish the workouts. or if you are somehow super determined and force yourself you could hurt yourself. A thing in general is to never exercise a muscle if its already sore. And if you're new to p90 x you will have sore muscles for days. not nearly enough time to recover.
Slayer Alex is offline   Reply With Quote