Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 05-01-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
tokalaangel

Ahri tails

So Im hoping to make an Ahri cosplay for an upcoming con, but I have no idea what to do about the tail.

Ref: HERE

-what kind of fabric? (Plain white or faux fur?)
-what kind of stuffing/technique should I use to make the tails light and preferably position-able?
-how do I attach all of them? @___@ (the tails come from under her dress)

WORK IN PROGRESS ::
Sakura (TR) -Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle (80%)
Sakura (Koryo Splash) - Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle (25%)

PLANNED COSPLAYS ::
C.C. - Code Geass - Lelouch of Rebellion
Rinoa Heartilly - FF
Sakura (Infinity) -Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle
Vanille - FF13
Kagamine Rin - Vocaloid
tokalaangel is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-01-2012, 07:44 PM   #2
Penlowe

That is a lot of tail O.o

I can picture it in my head but must doodle some to sort it out....

Ok, first, you need a strong base to hold that much structure off away from your body. I think a very fitted belt made of something tough like denim would be a good start. It needs to go from your natural waist to a couple inches past your hip line (or just under the curve of your bum). Buy or make, doesn't matter, something that fits and covers like this: http://www.thevintagepeddler.com/cat...03/3823841.htm

Then I'd use 14 gauge wire to support the tails as well as make them poseable. I don't think I'd stuff them except maybe with balloons. If it were a single tail of that size stuff away, but at seven? the weight will be daunting.

The most comfortable way to wire an appendage is to give the wire a curved base (circular or oval or whatever, just no sharp corners) that sits flush against your body then angles away from your body. [think of those old fashioned spikes people used to use on counters for sorting receipts, wire coil at the bottom then the long straight bit sticking up]

sew this curved wire base to your support garment, then alter the skirt to go around it.

last, slide your tails over the wires & do a couple stitches through the material around the wire to hold them in place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tails.jpg (25.0 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Penlowe : 05-01-2012 at 08:08 PM.
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2012, 11:21 AM   #3
tokalaangel

Thanks for the advice The coil is a great idea. Could you elaborate on how I would go about stuffing them with balloons? Wont they pop easily? O.o

WORK IN PROGRESS ::
Sakura (TR) -Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle (80%)
Sakura (Koryo Splash) - Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle (25%)

PLANNED COSPLAYS ::
C.C. - Code Geass - Lelouch of Rebellion
Rinoa Heartilly - FF
Sakura (Infinity) -Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle
Vanille - FF13
Kagamine Rin - Vocaloid
tokalaangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2012, 05:49 PM   #4
Penlowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokalaangel View Post
Thanks for the advice The coil is a great idea. Could you elaborate on how I would go about stuffing them with balloons? Wont they pop easily? O.o
actually, no, you'd be surprised how tough a balloon can be. The key to not-easily-popped balloons is to not fully inflate them. If the packages says 10" party balloons inflating them to only 8" will make very squishable balloons*. I'd probably use a variety of sizes of balloons, and you'll find you don't need to fill every nook & cranny because of the way the balloons hold your fabric open. Obviously, some trial & error fitting is needed, but it isn't hard. bring back up balloons to the con anyway. At least un-inflated they will travel well.

* this is how carnivals get your money on dart games, they aren't tiny balloons, they are very under-inflated making then exceptionally hard to pop.
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 05:54 PM   #5
Chi0ri

I am making ahri too, the dynasty skin!
For the tails, I am using a girdle type thing I got at walmart. (like the one in the picture above but a bit thinner) and running the tails out the top and bottom. Only some of my tails will be pose-able for comforts sake and heaviness. I am using very heavy wire from the gardening section at home depot, and about 5 tails will move/pose. the rest will be thicker and still have wire, but will likely just be behind me. They will also be tied around the movable tails, like mid girdle? hard to explain. like a separate piece so that they fill space between the good tails. the fur I am looking at is sold at joann fabric. for thickness and cheapness I am bending the wire (like a u?) so that no stuffing will be required for the pose-able tails. the bottom tails will just be stuffed with a little fluff, like stuffed animal stuff, but the fur I found is quite puffy by itself.
Hope this helps a bit!!
Chi0ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2012, 08:48 AM   #6
misssarang
Miss Sarang

Ahri

I noticed that someone had mention only "7" tails. Ahri has nine. She's styled after the Gumiho of Korean mythology, meaning "nine-tailed fox", which would be why you see her wearing a tweaked version of a traditional Hanbok. <3

Love love love the idea of cosplaying as her, she's my favorite LoL girl. (:
Good luck!!
misssarang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2012, 07:40 PM   #7
MfWic
What the hell is MFWIC?

whoa. I agree thats a lot of tail O_o

If the balloon idea didn't work you could always make them hallow by using .... using... crap... its the stuff they use under hoop skirts. *brain dead*
MfWic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2012, 08:12 AM   #8
Elethestrange

I'm done with the tails, even if I had many troubles keeping them up XD I solved with some wires that will help me...my tails r in fake fur, filled up with the same material you use to fill up pillows...and yeah they are heavy, but still they can stay up...not very comfortable but extremely nice effect!
Elethestrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 01:46 PM   #9
angelxamongxus
D20 Girl NJ

Lightbulb Helium?

i'm having a thought here, Barbosa... If you put helium in the balloons, maybe that will help counter some of the structure's weight??

(i'm actually here because i'm looking up how to do Ninetales tails)

~CURRENT CONVENTIONS~
MAGfest ~ Katsucon ~ Zenkaikon ~ CPAC ~ AnimeNEXT ~ Otakon ~ NYCC

Check out my cosplay page, Torihime Cosplay!

In Progress
"Senbonzakura" Kagamine Rin ~ Vocaloid
"Designer Series" Rapunzel ~ Tangled
Weiss Schnee ~ RWBY
Princess Serenade ~ Eternal Sonata

~Torihime
angelxamongxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 12:23 AM   #10
Peaches-N-Cream

How would u go about nine tails for Soshi Miketsukami. I'm cosplying him this year an I plan to make the tails.