Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 05-02-2012, 12:21 AM   #1
XxMai-chanxX
Momo

Exclamation Iron on Paper

I'm cosplaying as John Egbert and I have no idea how to get the worm image on there. A person that I follow on tumblr says that I can iron the image on with iron on paper. Can someone please tell me what that is or how it works? There's just a few more other things I want to know besides that.
  • How do you print the image onto the paper?
  • Do you iron the image on with just like any normal iron, or is there some sort of extra step?

My best friend's dad made t-shirts so he can help me, but he didn't explain the process very well. Well, maybe he did but i can't remember. Please help!
XxMai-chanxX is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-02-2012, 01:08 AM   #2
Reily96
Kimono Junkie

I think I have an idea of what you're talking about. I had to do something recently myself for my "shawlpack." I used a varition of heat'n'bond interfacing - except in came in red packaging. Basically, it comes with two sides of adhesive - one covered in a wax paper, the other side bare adhesive. You place the adhesive side down on your fabric (this will be the fabric for the design; the paper side should be facing up) and, with your iron at medium heat, press the iron on the paper side for around two seconds until the section is nice and stuck on the fabric. Then you cut out the shape you want, peel off the paper. With adhesive side down, you place the design on your final fabric, and press it on with iron for about 8 seconds (for cotton fabrics - any other fabrics you want to keep it on for a few more seconds).

Those should be the instructions nearly word for word on it. Whatever the case, if you go to JoAnn's or a similar local chain, they should have it right next to the normal purple packaged heat'n'bond. If I can find it for you, I'll link it.

EDIT: This is the stuff. I've never seen this site, so I wouldn't recommend buying oit from here simply because I've never heard of it. But basically, that is the type of HeatnBond you want, if I got what you're looking for right. >.> Also it's like less than $4 at JoAnn's so I definitely wouldn't recommend getting it from that site just for that reason alone.
Kamiya Kaoru (Rurouni Kenshin) - 100%
Gakuko, Shanghai Disco ver. (Vocaloid) - 70%

For the Future:
Smaug - The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
Malon - Legend of Zelda
Snow Queen Elsa - Frozen

Last edited by Reily96 : 05-02-2012 at 01:15 AM.
Reily96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2012, 05:20 PM   #3
Penlowe

If you gave us a link to the Tumblr thread it would help.

What she is describing is called applique, specifically, a no-sew version. Using a heat activated glue permeated sheet as your base unit to get the shape you want, and adhere it, to your item in a fabric of your choosing.

another option, which from what you said in the first post might be what you were looking at, is ink jet iron ons. You buy special sheets that go in your printer just like paper, print just like you print anything*, cut out & iron on. Easier, able to be more detailed, but not quite as high quality.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Epson-Iron....5-x11/4858118

* highest resolution gets the best results. It tends to suck a LOT of ink from your printer, be aware when making test prints.
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2012, 09:19 PM   #4
Reily96
Kimono Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penlowe View Post
If you gave us a link to the Tumblr thread it would help.

What she is describing is called applique, specifically, a no-sew version. Using a heat activated glue permeated sheet as your base unit to get the shape you want, and adhere it, to your item in a fabric of your choosing.

another option, which from what you said in the first post might be what you were looking at, is ink jet iron ons. You buy special sheets that go in your printer just like paper, print just like you print anything*, cut out & iron on. Easier, able to be more detailed, but not quite as high quality.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Epson-Iron....5-x11/4858118

* highest resolution gets the best results. It tends to suck a LOT of ink from your printer, be aware when making test prints.
YES THAT. Andicallmyselfacostumedesignmajor DX

Also for the latter, highest print resolution is usually 300dpi AT LEAST. 300 dpi by itself is already a big file sooo... Also, I'd advise using CMYK settings. CMYK is meant for printing. While normal RGB will work, the colors won't be quite the same thing on your computer screen.

... Now excuse me, I think I'm going to look into that myself. >.>
Kamiya Kaoru (Rurouni Kenshin) - 100%
Gakuko, Shanghai Disco ver. (Vocaloid) - 70%

For the Future:
Smaug - The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
Malon - Legend of Zelda
Snow Queen Elsa - Frozen
Reily96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2012, 11:31 PM   #5
XxMai-chanxX
Momo

she just said what I could do. She painted it on.
XxMai-chanxX is offline   Reply With Quote