Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 05-02-2012, 12:35 PM   #1
maditron
Jubilee

Acne help!!

I have acne, but the issue isn't my face, it's my chest and back, and I don't know what to do about it. Can you use/do the same things as for facial acne? I feel like I always need to cosplay someone wearing very covering tops.. I really hope someone can help!
maditron is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-02-2012, 01:48 PM   #2
Arc_The_Lad
of Daventry

Wash your sheets and blanket more often.
Arc_The_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2012, 02:06 PM   #3
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc_The_Lad View Post
Wash your sheets and blanket more often.
Rude. And irrelevant.

I don't have any personal advice, OP, but you might also ask this question in the make-up sub-forum or even fitness and health. And ignore Arc. He's an ass but usually is more amusing than this.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2012, 02:20 PM   #4
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

Actually, his advise is pretty sound - washing them removes the oils and bacteria that cause acne. Wash them in hot water.
My Cat's Tumblr
Avatar drawn by the awesome Lithium Flower
UsakoLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2012, 02:22 PM   #5
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
Rude. And irrelevant.

I don't have any personal advice, OP, but you might also ask this question in the make-up sub-forum or even fitness and health. And ignore Arc. He's an ass but usually is more amusing than this.
Honestly he has a point. I really don't think Arc was being an ass. Oil from your face, hair and body get on to your sheets and if you don't wash them often (especially pillow cases) the oil will cause more break outs.

Also, if you use brushes with you make up make sure you wash them a few times a year (or more) and remember to replace them when they get worn out.
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2012, 02:25 PM   #6
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

I stand corrected then! My apologies.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2012, 02:26 PM   #7
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Go to a dermatologist.

Acne, despite being common, is still a skin problem that ought to be seen by a dermatologist who can prescribe you something or even recommend going on something like hormonal birth control.

Most over the counter facial scrubs are not going to remove your acne, they're not made to do that. They will help keep the skin clean and what not-but they cannot get rid of or treat acne.

Here's a good page written with information from dermatologists.

But if your getting bad acne on various parts of your body I would strongly suggest seeing the dermatologist for a long-term treatment.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2012, 02:33 PM   #8
ladysphinx07
Cats Don't Like Me Much

I had bad "bacne" when I was in high school and the worst thing was nothing I did helped (damn that puberty!!!). Only when I hit my late teens and early 20s did it finally start to go away. I know that isnít very chipper, but I also use Neutrogenaís wash that is intended for your body. I still use it now and I only get a few blemishes every now and then.

I've also heard tips like always showering after you exercise, wear breathable & natural clothing fibers and frequently washing your sheets (I feel like the last one didn't help). Also try not to use too many scented perfumes or lotions on your body, especially where you know you're prone to acne.
ladysphinx07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2012, 03:17 PM   #9
harmonyisarine

I'm in my mid-20s and I still have this problem. First, do make sure your sheets and clothes are exceptionally clean. It makes a difference; not a huge one, but it's there. I see more breakouts when I'm lazy with my sheets, or rewear shirts too often (laundry is annoying...). Second, find a soap that works with your skin. I thought I had dry skin and was using moisturizing soaps. I finally got fed up with breaking out even more and started to just use the same barsoap that I use for my face, and... it started to go away. Turns out I needed a soap for oily skin (the barsoap is by a brand called Tom's, and it makes my skin feel a bit tight at first, but it feels great as soon as I get toweled off and dressed).

And, as Lithium said, get yourself to a doctor. I used to be on medicine which cleared it up spectacularly, until I got too lazy too keep scheduling follow-ups.
Unread 05-02-2012, 05:17 PM   #10
novaraven1

acne was explained to me as being caused by a hormonal imbalance making your skin more prone to being sensitive to reacting to things and overproducing oils that will clog your pores. Oil and dirt get in there and bacteria too.
The only way to stop acne is to alter your bodies hormone balance. This can be done with medication, but over time the body will actually adjust back to the way it was due to genetics and environment and basic lifestyle. You have about six months to a year on things like hormonal birth control before your body can adjust and go right back to giving you horrible skin. Definitely avoid acutane. That crap should be banned for how toxic it is.
There is basically no cure for acne, there are only ways to reduce the symptoms. Improve your diet and exercise and general health. Keep yourself and everything that comes into contact with your skin clean. And look after your breakouts when they happen to prevent infection.
My dr kept trying to give me expensive antibiotics which I had a bad reaction to so I just stopped taking them. They did not prevent breakouts and I'd been just fine without them before just using proper over the counter facial cleansers. Avoid harsh things like triclosamene and benzol peroxide(this is the main ingredient in most acne medications and is not at all good for you). They are in no way natural chemicals and end up making your skin more sensitive and damaged in the long run.
I'm an adult and I still have acne. I've had it since I was twelve. In fact it spreads more and more over my body every single year. The only advice I have been given is to wear more make-up when I go in public. ><; There is absolutely no way to win against this permanently that is not horribly toxic to your body. Overly expensive miracle treatments like proactive are not going to save you either. (the main ingredient in proactive is actually just benzol peroxide with a lot of soothing agents in there to make it sound natural and reduce the damaging effects a little)
I wish I had better advice for you, but it's more like something you have to manage and live with than something that can be cured. It's like having allergies, you just get used to it.

Last edited by novaraven1 : 05-02-2012 at 05:20 PM.
novaraven1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2012, 06:09 PM   #11
DizzieDee
The spoony bard

I used to have really bad acne when I was younger (pretty much age 11-20) I used to (and still do) shower everyday and wash my face when I wake up and before I go to sleep, it was just hormones that caused my acne, I had all different medicine from the doctor, from tablets to a foul smelling liquid I had to rub on my face, nothing made any difference. I still break out now but only when I'm stressed.

Sometimes the acne would react better when I was younger with a few different things, but nothing was long term, I used egg whites, going to sleep early, staying on top of my projects/homework and drinking a lot of water, it would work for the first few days/week then break back out so I used to do these when a con/prom/important presentation was coming up to help clear it up a little. Usually acne has nothing to do with how clean you are it's all about hormones. You should eventually grow out of it (not always), but until then it would be best to find out what type of skin you have aka oily, dry or mixed so that you can find the best thing to do for yourself, also good luck! (pretty much everyone has spots at one time or another so I wouldn't worry about it too much, it may cause more) I hope you find a solution!
FFVII:CC - Cissnei

Cardiff Expo - 2013
Looking for group!

You can also find me at -
http://dizziedee.deviantart.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/xDizzieDeex
DizzieDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2012, 02:33 AM   #12
B.O.M.
Bank of Mom

My 18 yo has severe acne on her face, chest & back. We've done the dermatologist thing, gotten antibiotics, creams, etc. The 'scripts worked for awhile, but then she'd get lazy about using them. Plus, since her biggest breakouts are on her back, she'd need help to treat it.

Lately, she's been using the Neutrogena body wash and following it up with treating her acne areas with tea tree oil. Make sure you're washing your entire body to get rid of dead cells, dirt and bacteria that can get into your pores.

Regarding growing out of acne? Someone needs to tell my 47 yo sister that one! She still has acne.

Kayle (IntoxicatedPeng) - Drocell Keinz (Kuroshitsuji), Yuki Onna (Nurarihyon no Mago), 8th Doctor (Doctor Who), Soul Eater Evans (Soul Eater), Lucy (Fairy Tail) - Also attending Gallifrey One 25
Mara - Lulu (FFX), adult Nel (Bleach), Hagoromo Gitsune (Nurarihyon no Mago) WITH Baby Moogle, Trystan
Me - Mary Poppins, The Woman (Doctor Who, The End of Time), Sibylline Sisterhood (Doctor Who)

Photos
DA
Blog
B.O.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2012, 03:51 AM   #13
DizzieDee
The spoony bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.O.M. View Post
Regarding growing out of acne? Someone needs to tell my 47 yo sister that one! She still has acne.
I said "You should eventually grow out of it (not always)" I know a few of my friends had a very serious case of acne and have completely grown out of it aka their hormones have settled down, but some of them have bad scars in it's place. I know people can have acne for the rest of their life but some/most of the time it's hormonal and it tends to go away after puberty. (what my doctor told me when I was 15, and I thought he was lying up to a year and half ago) Hopefully your 18 year old wont have to deal with it forever and it should go away ^^
FFVII:CC - Cissnei

Cardiff Expo - 2013
Looking for group!

You can also find me at -
http://dizziedee.deviantart.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/xDizzieDeex
DizzieDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2012, 08:47 AM   #14
Arc_The_Lad
of Daventry

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
I stand corrected then! My apologies.
Accepted.

I was just applying the advice I got for acne on your face, which is to sleep on a freshly washed towel every night.
Arc_The_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 06:51 AM   #15
char99char
Crazy for costumes

In the last few months I had a very bad breakout - face, chest and back. I ended up using a combination of drug store products that cleared up the problem in about 3 weeks. There are different acne causes as stated previously - hormones, diet, stress, etc. This particular solution worked for me.

I washed twice a day with a salicylic acid wash (clearasil daily facial wash of some sort), followed by 10% benzoyl peroxide lotion and then moisturizer. The brand of cleanser and spot cream don't really matter - the ingredients are all the same - just read the labels and get the highest concentration you can. Word of warning - benzoyl peroxide on your back will bleach clothing if you sweat while you sleep or workout or whatever so wear an undershirt or tank top you don't care about.

The moisturizer is important because it helps heal the skin. For this I recommend Cera Ve - the ingredients are different than everything else at the store. It is more expensive but worth it. It has made a *huge* difference in my skin - I can go without wearing foundation on my face now. My skin has never looked better....and I'm 39.

Last note - I switched hair conditioners shortly before breaking out. I make sure now to rinse the conditioner off my hair first then wash my back and chest to get rid of any residue. That helped a bunch too. Good luck!
char99char is offline   Reply With Quote