Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Unread 05-08-2012, 10:29 AM   #1
soraheart74
new to cosplay

Need help on trying to get a ballgown to keep shape!

So, I am currently working on a princess Rozalin cosplay from disgaea 2: cursed memories.
I have everything figured out with the exception of the wings (getting help from dad) and how I should get the bottom portion to stay flared out correctly.
I don't want to put in hoops and I'm trying not to use a petticoat.
I was thinking of using a cage-like thing for it, but nothing all wirey
can anyone tell me where I can find something like this? Links would be appreciated, tutorials could help to.
Thanks!

-Sora
soraheart74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-08-2012, 02:44 PM   #2
AmamiHaruka765
Rising idol

I have this same problem and I think the only solution really is to wear either a hoopskirt underneath. You can make one or buy one.
AmamiHaruka765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 04:03 PM   #3
crazywuzhere
................poop.

I hope you don't mind me asking, but is there a particular reason you don't want to wear petticoats or hoop skirt?
A bit of advice--If you don't want the hoops to show through your costume, you should wear a petticoat over the hoop skirt.
crazywuzhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 01:23 PM   #4
Mykaios
Saving all the meguca's.

I'd like to know why you wouldn't want to use a petticoat or hoop skirt as well. While, I am not familiar with the character or outfit design, I do know that most large ballgown and even wedding gowns require use of a a petticoat or hoop skirt or combination of both. A cage is essentially a hoop skirt, since there are a few ways to make them and you'd want to use a petticoat or some sort of fabric layering over the cage so the skeleton or outlining of the cage's shape won't show through on the outside of the gown.
Mykaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 07:08 PM   #5
itsjustsloane
i am a princess

As far as I know, you have to have either a petticoat or hoop skirt. If you still refuse to use either, I'm afraid you will have a flat dress.
itsjustsloane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 08:21 PM   #6
han-pan

Could you give us a reference, and a good reason why you don't want to wear a petti or hoop?

Guess what, Japanime costume players....
YOU'RE NOT THE ENTIRETY OF THE COSPLAY WORLD.
Stop being so closeminded. Just because someone cosplays doesn't mean they're an otaku or a weeaboo.

In Progress: Super Sailor Moon, Sailor Moon
han-pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2012, 11:47 PM   #7
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by soraheart74 View Post
I don't want to put in hoops and I'm trying not to use a petticoat.
That is an interesting way a putting it. Could the confusion be that you are trying to sew the hoops into the dress? If so, don't panic. Hoops or crinolines, samething different name, are there own articles of clothing. Some are mostly wire and tape, some are petticoats with wire in channels. Like others have said, it's best to wear a petticoat over the hoop and under the dress to hide the lines. From personal experience wearing a hoop is super comfortable even in the hottest weather because it keeps the cloth away from the body and acts like air conditioning. Also from personal experience it is worth it to wear pantelets, boxers or shorts under your hoop just in case skirts fly up or you trip and fall.
Unread 05-20-2012, 07:51 PM   #8
aragrey
Babyhands

My friend did Rozalin and really, you need a hoop skirt. As long as you layer correctly, you shouldn't see any sort of lines!

..:: Dallas Sci-fi Expo & Dallas Comic Con & Anime Matsuri & A-Kon & San Japan & Anime-fest ::..
New This Year
..:: Belldandy & Splicer & Buttercup & Rouge the Bat & Formal Crow & Sailor Mars ::..
aragrey is offline   Reply With Quote