Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photo Tutorials

Unread 05-29-2012, 10:00 PM   #1
animetears4
E-chan

Amateur DSLR User Needs HELP TT^TT

Hey guys!

I just got into photography using a DSLR like last month haha I haven't taken any formal classes or anything like that most of my knowledge comes from YouTube tutorials and experimenting with my baby (Canon Rebel T3 X3). ANYWAYS I am cosplaying Tifa this year and my friends and I really want to do the shot of Tifa on the church wall. Would anyone know how to possibly do that without me horribly injuring myself haha.

Thank you!

Unread 05-30-2012, 07:22 AM   #2
Akahime
Red Princess

Best way possible: photoshop. >>;;

There is no other way unless you have ropes holding you up. 0,o But still go to that church anyways and get awesome pictures. : )
Quina (FFIX), Kat (Gravity Rush), Nausicaš (Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind)?, Cheria (Tales of Graces)?, Tia of Avalon Code, Lan Fan of Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, Kyoko of Skip Beat!, Monster Hunter?

Next cons: Midoricon, Anime Fusion?
Cosplayer and photographer. Follow me at my DA, twitter, or my tumblr!
Akahime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 11:32 AM   #3
Foques

depends on the light available and physical condition.. if you can shoot 1/160+ with a good exposure, you could try jumping
Unread 05-30-2012, 09:13 PM   #4
animetears4
E-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foques View Post
depends on the light available and physical condition.. if you can shoot 1/160+ with a good exposure, you could try jumping
Oh boy...with a little shortie like me I don't know how that will turn out haha hmmmm Ill probably test your suggestion though. What kind of aperture do I need? Does the ISO need to be low as well?? And I'm guessing this is better done in Manual mode right?

Thanks again!
Unread 05-30-2012, 09:15 PM   #5
animetears4
E-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akahime View Post
Best way possible: photoshop. >>;;

There is no other way unless you have ropes holding you up. 0,o But still go to that church anyways and get awesome pictures. : )
aaacccckkkk I've been reading a bunch of suggestions and they pretty much say the same thing >.< I don't have photoshop at all (i'm cheap ^^; I only have Gimp and I have no idea how to use that lmao.

Thanks for your suggestion!
Unread 05-31-2012, 12:09 AM   #6
liyosa

GIMP is similar to photoshop in terms of tutorials. You'll have to do a bit of searching and trial and error to see what different names they use from photoshop, but in general, I've found looking up tutorials for photoshop on Youtube to be sufficient, even as a GIMP user myself .

In any case, if all else fails, you could always try borrowing a copy of Photoshop .
liyosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 08:02 AM   #7
ZeroEnna
Geocaching Cosplayer

If you are good in crafting, you could try this (which is a trick I have heard of being used in movies, like for example running up trees or stuff):
Just copy the scene and make it laying on the ground!
That way, you can pose on the Wall, and with good photographing skills (and a crane), you can make it look "as if", but in fact, you are safe on the ground.
ZeroEnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 08:38 PM   #8
Starlit Rose
Breaking out of my cage

To get started on learning your camera, since you haven't taken any classes, I highly recommend you just start learning all the basics. Just understanding all the concepts will help you figure out how to set your camera. I haven't taken any classes either, so I am in a similar boat, but this site has been very helpful. Just from reading up on what everything does, I've already learned more about how to manipulate my settings to work the way I want them to.
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm
Levi - Attack on Titan/Shingeki no Kyojin - 100%
3DM Gear - Attack on Titan/Shingeki no Kyojin - 90% (needs repairs)
Lux (classic skin) - League of Legends - 10%

Facebook || Tumblr
Starlit Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2012, 12:50 AM   #9
brebaker
Photographer

as stated by others, just get a general understanding for shutter speed, ISO, and aperture. Then you want to learn about composition. Rule of thirds is your best friend.

I've taken classes in my high school and college, but I've really learned more by teaching myself and watching videos or reading photo blogs. Just experiment with different settings/techniques until you feel confident.

Like someone said, have someone jumping. But have the camera at a low angle with a wide angle lens to give it that illusion. With this, you don't even need photoshop.
-50mm f/1.8
-Canon 580 EXII
brebaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2012, 08:10 AM   #10
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroEnna View Post
If you are good in crafting, you could try this (which is a trick I have heard of being used in movies, like for example running up trees or stuff):
Just copy the scene and make it laying on the ground!
That way, you can pose on the Wall, and with good photographing skills (and a crane), you can make it look "as if", but in fact, you are safe on the ground.
You could use forced perspective to make it appear as though you are posing on a wall

Anime North Reddit Community

Last edited by DireKitty : 06-23-2012 at 08:12 AM.
DireKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2012, 11:13 PM   #11
animetears4
E-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Yokan View Post
To get started on learning your camera, since you haven't taken any classes, I highly recommend you just start learning all the basics. Just understanding all the concepts will help you figure out how to set your camera. I haven't taken any classes either, so I am in a similar boat, but this site has been very helpful. Just from reading up on what everything does, I've already learned more about how to manipulate my settings to work the way I want them to.
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm
I have a good idea about all the basics of camera work. I have been watching TONS of YouTube tutorials and then practicing them myself =3 I have been reading up on a bunch of photography stuff too. My college has some photography classes so I might take that