Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-10-2012, 07:25 AM   #1
Shinasan

Black People in cosplay

Hi everyone i'm shina! and i'm a french and black cosplayer since few years now.

This year for a con maybe you know... Japan expo in paris. I made a fanzine talking about people which were black boys and girl and cosplay; Because even cosplay become more and more popular all over the world black people still afraid cosplay because of judgment so I want with this zine makes a word for them and support them to go on stage and made the show!

So if i can have testimony from people it will be great. But's it's not only for cosplay even Gothic lolita or J-rock fans! Tell me your story and your ow experience on thisJ-culture world!!

I'm waiting for you!!
Shinasan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-10-2012, 11:26 PM   #2
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Here's a thread from the Seeking Cosplayers forum that should have what your looking for/be handy; http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=5220
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2012, 05:53 PM   #3
kosakuitaly
Huh, oh, what?

HHHEEEYYY! im French and A.A.~! Anyway, I dont care what other people think about me cosplaying...But im trying to get my friends to cosplay whoever they want..one of my friends told me she is looking for a "black" anime character. I told her It dosent matter but she would listen to me~ ^^'
Cons Im going to:
~Otakon 2013
~AMA 2013
~Nekocon 16

Cosplays:
~America(Hetalia)(100%)
~ Iceland (Hetalia)(0%)
~Jake English (Default/Suit and Shorts) (60%)
~ MilitaryStuck!Jake English (0%)
~ Dave Strider (100%)
kosakuitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2012, 06:42 PM   #4
RydiaValentine
Many talented Lady

Black people shouldn't be afraid of cosplaying. There are plenty of characters who are dark skinned to cosplay. Even if you decide cosplaying light skinned characters you can look like them if you get the costume and portrayal of the character right as much as you can. My favorite Sailor Pluto and my favorite Regal Bryant are black cosplayers.
RydiaValentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2012, 07:43 PM   #5
miaransom
Mizuki Cifer-Sutcliffe

Why does your race matter when you cosplay?
Perrsonally, if I was black, I'd cosplay as Yoruichi Shihoin from Bleach.

~I'm simply one hell of a cosplayer.~

"China! I choose you!"- America

Current Costumes!

Grell Sutcliff, Shinigami Form.
Misa Amane, Volume 4 Cover.

Upcoming Conventions:
Quinnicon, 2012
Connecticon, 2012

Past Conventions
Anime Boston 2012

Future Costumes:
Female Ulquiorra
miaransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2012, 10:32 PM   #6
Amanita

And it might be interesting to see how a person of color might "re-invent" their character- what might princess Leia look like if she were black, for example? Might she have a braided, or dreadlocked version of that famous "cinnamon bun" hairdo? Or afro-puffs instead of the buns? Or what might Cloud or Sephiroth look like re-imagined as black?
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 12:58 AM   #7
MasterMicah
Micah-Medio

Why's it gotta be black....lolol jk

~Current timeline of the "Con Invasion"~
- NYCC '12 (AW YEAH)
- Genericon '13 (possibly)
- Toracon '13 (possibly)
- Anime Boston '13
- AnimeNext '13 (possibly)
- Anime Expo '13 or Florida Supercon '13
- Conecticon '13

~Cosplays in progress~
- Rick Ross
- Issa Mihotoke (Buccha) - Air Gear
- Rilakkuma
MasterMicah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 05:46 AM   #8
Water Meru

Plenty of dark skinned characters? Um, black people don't have to stick to those...people whom ever you want. I'm black and yet I'm told I'm one of the cosplayers they have seen for certain characters.
Water Meru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 06:52 AM   #9
MissAngie
My dreams are my wings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Meru View Post
Plenty of dark skinned characters? Um, black people don't have to stick to those...people whom ever you want. I'm black and yet I'm told I'm one of the cosplayers they have seen for certain characters.
Plenty of black characters?.. I do think so really they are atleast some black or dark skinned characters form animes/mangas but no too many...
Anyways,I agree with you! Black People can cosplay who ever they want. I am half black myslef too and I have most of in my cosplay list are some black/tannish and white characters..I personality dont care what ppl say! Im just saying People cosplay how ever you want! The skin tone shouldnt be a problem! Just if you get the costume right and the make up so on then your good to go. And what if Haters gonna hate? I mean thats the haters problem!

Next cosplays will be working on :
.:Sailor Saturn | 40%
.:Anthy Himemiya - Utena revolutionary girl | 75 %
"Dreams are hopeless aspirations.
In hopes of comin' true
Believe in yourself
The rest is up to me and you" - Waterfalls, TLC. -
MissAngie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 07:36 AM   #10
Neelh
Toa of Psionics

Excluding people based on the colour of their skin is racism. Whether, white, black, fat, thin, male or female, cosplay is for everyone, and nobody should be excluded.

nokama.tumblr.com
Neelh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 08:20 AM   #11
RydiaValentine
Many talented Lady

I see dark skinned characters everywhere O.O In almost all the anime, games and movies I've seen. I even remember I saw an anime where only 1 character had light skin (Hare Nochi Guu). Even in Final Fantasy (Lani, Donna, Fang, Sahz, Barret, Kiros). And they are usually the ones I like the most, but I would look ridiculous so I discard them inmediately. Heck, my favorite Disney princesses are all the dark skinned ones (Pocahontas, Mulan, Jasmine and Tiana ¬¬), so I went as Alice, the only one I like that has lighter skin.

But as I said, even if dark skinned cosplayers cosplay as light skinned characters, they can look awesome if they make a good costume and know how to portray the character. Physical appearance also helps a lot (I'm refering to weight and height). ArcaneKani here in coscom has the bodytype for his cosplays, be it light or dark skinned characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
And it might be interesting to see how a person of color might "re-invent" their character
This girl right here http://en.curecos.com/profile/?ch=208224
I just LOVE her Vincent and Roxas versions.

Last edited by RydiaValentine : 05-13-2012 at 08:36 AM.
RydiaValentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 01:20 PM   #12
Amanita

^Very nice indeed!
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2012, 03:33 PM   #13
MissAngie
My dreams are my wings.

RydiaValentine: Well I'm speaking in general... Yeah you might be right. Maybe in some disney movies. Cartoons they tend to be more black characters and japanese games such as FF has more dark skinned characters, also animes as bleach..But otherwise its usually atleast just 1-2 characters in a anime/manga that are dark-skinned atleast them animes I have seen so far..I dunno maybe these days japanese animators might make more dark skinned characters in animes. xD

Oh yeah Cryhog! She is awesome!

Next cosplays will be working on :
.:Sailor Saturn | 40%
.:Anthy Himemiya - Utena revolutionary girl | 75 %
"Dreams are hopeless aspirations.
In hopes of comin' true
Believe in yourself
The rest is up to me and you" - Waterfalls, TLC. -
MissAngie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2012, 03:45 PM   #14
SuzuStarlight
Blade Brave

I like black cosplayers, it always look like they re-invent certain characters~ It doesn't look so good if they have extremely dark skin and were certain bright wig tones, but on the other hand, I look like a corpse with bright blonde or white wigs, so everyone has some colours that fit him/her better I guess.

But I'm always happy to see cosplayers with darker skin actually do tanned characters, because it looks just so naturally on them, same as when Asians cosplay asian characters~

In the end, however, what matters most in Cosplay is having fun and cosplaying a character you really like, so the colour of skin doesn't matter at all As long as everyone does their best, any Cosplay will look fine on any person

~Up Next~
Sailor Moon ~Classic Musical Fuku~ (Sera Myu)
Joyful Knight Candelira ~Human form~ (Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger)
Maybe: Eri ~Cheerleader Version~ (Tensou Sentai Goseiger)
SuzuStarlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2012, 06:09 PM   #15
Spiritwalker
Green (without envy)

I'm half black and I cosplay whatever I like.

I kinda gave up on matching skin tone (unless it involves a non-existing skintone like my Orc's green or my eventual Draenei's blue/possibly Hellboy's red) because:

-Most black ethnic characters don't match my skin tone anyway (they are darker than me usually, prolly cause I'm half-white and all that).

-Or their body type is way off. I can kinda make the illusion work for my Orc since I can wear a thin football vest under than much clothing, but when there's some extremely tall muscular black guy in a "wife beater" with his "guns" blazing (stereotypes lololol) that's a bit much for me. I'm a completely (fit) average build, not a juicer, so it's just not gonna work.

-Or I just don't care about the character (or the franchise they are from) at all.

-Or I might care about the character/franchise but they have absolutely nothing I would want to wear costume-wise. I like to actually feel like I'm in a costume rather than a different-than-usual-but-totally-normal set of clothes, personally.

My only issue has been sometimes when I put on costume makeup the shade will be a little darker than I had planned, but that hasn't actually turned out to be a problem so far since Orcs and Draenei have various skin tones in the games.

Like I said, I'll just cosplay whatever I like, skin color be damned. In some ways I can almost understand people being picky about things like that, but then it just ends up being wasted words/hypocrisy when they let other things go like height or build or eye/hair color or you name it (not to mention the costumes themselves rarely being exact), and none of those things, including skin tone, should stop anyone from cosplaying.

If they want everything to match perfectly or even be close, skintone included, they can hold themselves and their own costumes to that standard if they want, but they will probably not make that standard either, and they certainly shouldn't try to project that onto others who don't care as much, or cal them wrong for not caring as much, or w/e. They and everyone else who cares are going to have be content with the fact that most people aren't born looking exactly like a certain character, and that's not really the point of cosplaying anyway.

My $00.02. :3

Alter Egos:
Orc Warlock (WoW) 85% (revamping certain parts for 2013)
Tuxedo Mask (Sailor Moon) 100% (pics up soon)
James (Team Rocket) 100% (pics up soon)
Orc Shaman (WoW) 75% (revamping process)

Far Future/Dream Alter Egos:
Draenei Paladin (WoW)
Worgen Druid (WoW)
Galio (LoL)
and one more...

Last edited by Spiritwalker : 05-16-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Spiritwalker is offline   Reply With Quote