Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-16-2012, 06:55 PM   #16
Radiant Nightmare
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by MirniMausi View Post
I like black cosplayers, it always look like they re-invent certain characters~ It doesn't look so good if they have extremely dark skin and were certain bright wig tones, but on the other hand, I look like a corpse with bright blonde or white wigs, so everyone has some colours that fit him/her better I guess.
I'm super picky when it comes to wig colors. I choose a black wig for my Zelda costume, cause I thought it looked better with my skin tone oppose to a brunette wig.
Palutena - Kid Iicarus
Radiant Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-17-2012, 02:03 AM   #17
ktcaines

I understand why this subject was brought up. I'm black and its my first time cosplaying, and I was determined to cosplay as a dark skinned character. I know its silly but its mainly because I want to look as close as possible to the character... And I think that might be the reason for a lot of other people too.

That being said I saw a wicked Chun-li cosplay from a black girl and 2 indian girls who did a great Sailor Moon and Sailor Mars. So it really doesn't matter.

Last edited by ktcaines : 05-17-2012 at 04:02 AM.
ktcaines is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 11:39 AM   #18
Zeat Project

I am an African-American cosplayer and I have been cosplaying for almost 8 years. I cosplay as whoever I want. I never let my skin color stop me from cosplaying as any character and I never will. I have copslayed as many characters that are not African-American. So far, I have never gotten any negative comments about me being an African-American and cosplaying as a character that is clearly not African-American. I don't give a crap what anybody thinks. It's my life, it's a free country, and who I cosplay as is nobody's business but my own. I, personally, have been though alot of crap about my race from outside of cosplay. I must say that it has made a stronger person. As I have said many times before, cosplay is meant to be fun. We should do what makes us happy. If anybody has a problem with that, then they need to get with the times and get over themselves.
No feeling
Eternity awaits"
"Beloved"-VNV Nation
Zeat Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 12:38 PM   #19
sagababycakes

I'm black and am a fairly new cosplayer but I've been a JRock fan for around six years now. I find that the one thing that irritates me more than any negative comment dealing with my skin color (because I have gotten them before I was even into cosplaying) is that sometimes it can feel like people don't look at you like any non-poc cosplayer because of your skin color. I want to be just a cosplayer like everyone else who is a cosplayer. I don't want to re-invent anything, I don't want to limit myself to certain things because I am black. I just want to dress up and enjoy myself- so I do. Sometimes you might not get as much attention, and sometimes people WILL make comments.

I was worried that people might judge me because I am black and I want to do JRock cosplays, but the people who DID have a problem with it, well, I just decided not to associate with them and cut off that supposed friendship really quick because I don't have time for people to be haters because my skin is darker than the artist I'm cosplaying. :/

But hopefully others can find that cosplay(and any other interests and hobbies they have!) is for them first before anybody else. If you enjoy it, then it won't matter what others say because you are doing it for you, no matter what skin color you have. Even if you might have those moments where you're down in the dumps or nervous because you are afraid it might matter, you have to remember who you are doing this for.

You can't let people dictate to you what you should look like or what you can and cannot do with your appearance just because you are black or any other person of color. Have fun with it, and the best of luck to anyone who might need a little extra cheering on to really get into cosplaying because I am rooting for you!
sagababycakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 01:43 PM   #20
Thearah
Is the Smexy Fran

I know a lot of people that give others flack about cosplaying a character that isn't black, and I find it ridiculous. A costume is good, no matter who wears it right? So why can't they portray who they want? I mean, I'm white, and I've cosplayed 'black' characters, so why isn't it okay the other way around. People take this stuff way too seriously. Cosplay who you want, regardless!

Officer Jenny ---> 80%
Thearah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 03:42 PM   #21
Creative Genius
feelin' nerdy

it shouldnt matter for skin color. if you are dark skined..black, indian, phillipino...anything you should be able to cosplay what ever character you want, even if they are like....albino or something! and it goes the other way to. If i want to cosplay Tiana...i will do so!

I have seen 2 sailor moon cosplayers that were black and all i could think was O^O....they are so pretty!!! they look amazing! the Venus i saw, I was jealous of her legs >_> they went on forever!

NDK Cosplay list:
Sailor Cosmos - sailor moon
Secret WCS cosplay <3
season one sailor moon (husband as Tuxedo Mask <3)
and maaaaybe FEM!Lucifer from supernatural
Creative Genius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 04:16 PM   #22
ChocoboxDreamer
Master Derper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeat Project View Post
I am an African-American cosplayer and I have been cosplaying for almost 8 years. I cosplay as whoever I want. I never let my skin color stop me from cosplaying as any character and I never will. I have copslayed as many characters that are not African-American. So far, I have never gotten any negative comments about me being an African-American and cosplaying as a character that is clearly not African-American. I don't give a crap what anybody thinks. It's my life, it's a free country, and who I cosplay as is nobody's business but my own. I, personally, have been though alot of crap about my race from outside of cosplay. I must say that it has made a stronger person. As I have said many times before, cosplay is meant to be fun. We should do what makes us happy. If anybody has a problem with that, then they need to get with the times and get over themselves.
^ This.
Tutankhamun - Eiyuu Senki (0% complete)

The Untold Stories of a Dreamer
Ethereal Whisper Photography
ChocoboxDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 04:35 PM   #23
Zeat Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoboxDreamer View Post
^ This.
Thanks ChocoboxDreamer.
No feeling
Eternity awaits"
"Beloved"-VNV Nation
Zeat Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 04:41 PM   #24
kuroki-neko
A hero reborn

race is not the problem it just compaining to be a victim to get attention that bugs people. your no different than anyone else, and as long as you don't bastardize a character you will be fine.
Unread 05-17-2012, 10:18 PM   #25
SoraXroxasXaxel
静か 領

---

Last edited by SoraXroxasXaxel : 11-06-2012 at 08:55 PM.
SoraXroxasXaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 10:38 AM   #26
Amanita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeat Project View Post
Yeah, pretty much heck yeah to this^
As for what I said about reinventing a character- what if a white character was a person of color, that's just an option- one possibility when it comes to cosplay. I hope I didn't come across as saying it's something that MUST be done.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2012, 10:24 PM   #27
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktcaines View Post
I understand why this subject was brought up. I'm black and its my first time cosplaying, and I was determined to cosplay as a dark skinned character. I know its silly but its mainly because I want to look as close as possible to the character... And I think that might be the reason for a lot of other people too.

That being said I saw a wicked Chun-li cosplay from a black girl and 2 indian girls who did a great Sailor Moon and Sailor Mars. So it really doesn't matter.
I understand this.

All in all I don't see the problem. Now with living history, I've know several dark skin people who where afraid to start because of history and how black people where treated in the past. "Glory" changed that for a lot of Civil War reenactors.
Unread 05-21-2012, 09:09 PM   #28
LinkofHearts

I think as long as you put effort and love into a costume and cosplay, then it shouldn't matter. I have a Mexican friend who limits his cosplay because his skin doesn't match. I tell him if he's REALLY a perfectionist and he REALLY wants to be spot on with everything including skin color, he can use make up to go a few shades lighter. Make up can do WONDERS if you use it right. I do it when I need to cosplay a bronze or darker person. You can do tricks to change your features and everything. If you aren't a perfectionist like that and you really just like the series... I don't think you have to look for the one with the 'same skin color as you' because it kind of sucks the fun out of wanting to cosplay from your favorite show or character. It's cosplay, so get your costume on and play. : D
LinkofHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 01:48 PM   #29
xKasumixChanx
Kasumi-chan

Ironically, I was put on a bad cosplayer blog for being a black cosplayer.

Ancient City Con ~ July 18th to 20th, 2014
WasabiCon ~ November 1st and 2nd, 2014

Upcoming Cosplays~

Red Riding Hood! Alois ~ 100%
Alois Trancy ~ 100%
Fem! Rin Matsuoka ~ 100 %
Casual! Rin Matsuoka~ 100 %
xKasumixChanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 01:58 PM   #30
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by xKasumixChanx View Post
Ironically, I was put on a bad cosplayer blog for being a black cosplayer.
Did you ask how the submitter's Klan rally went, because if you were put of there because of skin color, that lady/dude is a fucking racist.

I'm whiter than white, and it irks me that skin color is still an issue to some people in this hobby. Zeat Project pretty much stated the truth, and his words should be saved and reposted everytime it's mentioned.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote