Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons

Unread 10-18-2012, 01:24 PM   #1
flammingcorn

Homestuck and Adventure Time help!

I've got a lot to work with and a short time to work with it, so here goes my story...

OKAY, so I few days ago I decided I would be doing a costume for The Sufferer from Homestuck. WELL I got to work right away on that. I bought some fabric for the cape, went about turning my old black body suit into a massive pair of pants, and got to work on some awesome Sufferer shackles...or so I thought. See, I followed a tutorial that makes them out of cardboard and foam, but I couldn't get the right foam, so I just started working with the cardboard. Then I was supposed to hot glue it together, but my hot gluing skills aren't great, so I just duct taped them together. This epically looked like crap, but I decided to try my own take on making them. COVER THEM BAD BOYS IN CLAY. Well, that was dumb on my part because - while the clay looks magnificent on them wet - they are starting to crack now that they're drying. Now they look even MORE like crap. OBSERVE:

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...ps94f3dd9b.jpg

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...psdf4844ba.jpg

My only thought now is to maybe fill in the cracks once they're completely dry with hot glue, sand them down, and spray paint and clear coat them. Of course, my thinking thus so far has gotten me into this mess. What would you guys suggest?

THEN, my little cousin popped up wanting to be Fionna from Adventure Time. I was happy to help her since it's really not that hard anyway...and then thought, "Well, since it's easy as well, not be Marshall Lee and accompany her?" SO NOW I'M ROPED INTO BEING MARSHALL LEE I GUESS. I figured I needed two costumes for a con in December anyway.

Umf, the only problem now is getting his skin color. I wanna use Ben Nye since I'm far more familiar with it from being a troll for a year. HE HAS ALL THESE DIFFERENT REFS THOUGH. Some look gray, some look blue, and others look green. Which should I choose? And when I do, what color of Ben Nye should I get? I figure I'll have to pull a troll and mix them with white regardless to make them pale enough, but what would be a good base?

REFS:

Marshall Lee

Ben Nye makeup

Just let me know what you guys think...I've got my self in a bind. XD Thanks!

---

Current con I'm attending:
N/A

Current cosplays I'm doing:
N/A

Cosplays I might be doing:
The Batter
Good Cop/Bad Cop

Current cosplays I'm working on:
N/A
flammingcorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-19-2012, 12:23 AM   #2
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

Regarding the shackles, I think you may be better off using paper mache, not clay.
A Marceline cosplayer used Ben Nye Ghoul Grey makeup. You could mix that with a little bit of either blue or green (or both) if you're not satisfied with grey skin. Good luck!
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2012, 11:35 AM   #3
flammingcorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSY-chan View Post
Regarding the shackles, I think you may be better off using paper mache, not clay.
A Marceline cosplayer used Ben Nye Ghoul Grey makeup. You could mix that with a little bit of either blue or green (or both) if you're not satisfied with grey skin. Good luck!
Thanks for the advice! I may try a new pair with paper mache!

And that might work. Right now I'm experimenting with God awful cheap stuff to see how it works for now until I can get the good stuff. XD

Here's some test pics:

http://flammingcorn.deviantart.com/a...st-2-333123984

http://flammingcorn.deviantart.com/a...st-3-333124545

---

Current con I'm attending:
N/A

Current cosplays I'm doing:
N/A

Cosplays I might be doing:
The Batter
Good Cop/Bad Cop

Current cosplays I'm working on:
N/A
flammingcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2012, 03:24 PM   #4
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

I think the green seems okay. But if you like the grey makeup, use that instead. If you are using an oil based makeup, try applying it with a synthetic brush, and stipple with a sponge. You'll get a nice, even coat of makeup on your skin. Good luck!
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2012, 03:38 PM   #5
Neko-hime

For the shackles, have you thought about Model Magic? I've heard mixed reviews about it (evidently it's as controversial as poo or something xDD), but when I've used it, it has always turned out very smooth and lightweight. You could just rolling-pin it into some very thin sheets and stick that down overtop of the clay. Just make sure to keep it smooth; don't pinch it too much.

Personally, when I think of Marshall Lee, I tend to picture him pretty much troll gray... This is my opinion, of course, based on a very very official lol t-shirt I have and a lot of fangirling. CB I think the gray would work well.

Last edited by Neko-hime : 11-10-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Neko-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2012, 12:44 AM   #6
tarinalove
alsoknownas Katarini

I picture him Blue-Gray with a focus on GREY.

https://www.facebook.com/RinaMeowsir
I take commissions, just send me a message. <3
tarinalove is offline   Reply With Quote