Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Resident Evil

Unread 05-11-2012, 11:44 AM   #1
Vector.
The Wolfpack

vpu

I tried posting this twice already and neither of my posts showed up so lets try again..

I got a quick question if anyone can help with this

Im working on my VPU for my HUNK mask. I got a small can and took both ends off it so its fully open, put the lid back on the open side at the front and putting a strainer onto this. It sticks up at the front though, Im wanting to cut a hole out the middle of the lid so the strainer can sit in that and go level with the tin instead of sticking up. It currently looks like this:

So I need to cut the middle of the lid out like this:

Im not sure how to go about doing this, what to use to cut the hole out. A hand saw obviously cant get into the middle. All I could think of was drilling a hole in it and putting a jigsaw in it. Dont really want to do that, never used one before and not sure it would even work anyway. I just tried drilling a hole in it with my dremel but it wont even go through, it just kinda scrapes across the surface. I got some diamond cutting discs for the dremel too to try cutting the hole out but same thing it just scrapes over the surface. Anyone have any suggestions on how to go about doing this? I really cant think how else to do this. I hate working with metal..

Complete:
H.U.N.K. (Resident Evil 4)

Vector (RE: ORC) 95%

http://zombiehunt3r.deviantart.com/
Vector. is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-12-2012, 04:05 AM   #2
W4RH0US3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector. View Post
I tried posting this twice already and neither of my posts showed up so lets try again..

I got a quick question if anyone can help with this

Im working on my VPU for my HUNK mask. I got a small can and took both ends off it so its fully open, put the lid back on the open side at the front and putting a strainer onto this. It sticks up at the front though, Im wanting to cut a hole out the middle of the lid so the strainer can sit in that and go level with the tin instead of sticking up. It currently looks like this:

So I need to cut the middle of the lid out like this:

Im not sure how to go about doing this, what to use to cut the hole out. A hand saw obviously cant get into the middle. All I could think of was drilling a hole in it and putting a jigsaw in it. Dont really want to do that, never used one before and not sure it would even work anyway. I just tried drilling a hole in it with my dremel but it wont even go through, it just kinda scrapes across the surface. I got some diamond cutting discs for the dremel too to try cutting the hole out but same thing it just scrapes over the surface. Anyone have any suggestions on how to go about doing this? I really cant think how else to do this. I hate working with metal..
You didn't put this in the HUNK thread?
W4RH0US3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2012, 12:20 PM   #3
Vector.
The Wolfpack

Thats why I said I tried to post it twice already. I tried to post it in the HUNK thread and when I submitted the post all I got was it needed mod approval. Waited more than a week and still my posts never showed up so this was the only way I can actually ask this since my other ones got ignored or whatever

Complete:

Unread 05-13-2012, 03:14 AM   #4
W4RH0US3

I see then so far that looks good but the vpu only has I believe Hunk's vpu has 7 holes
W4RH0US3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 05:35 PM   #5
Leadmill
Looks good in uniform...

Depends on the version

Current Cosplay Projects
Nights Watch Brother (Game of Thrones) - 70%
Shy Guy (Mario Warfare) - 90%
Leadmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 09:55 AM   #6
Vector.
The Wolfpack

I am doing RE4 version. I know it only has 7 holes, this was the only strainer I could get at the time. I was just using it to see the size and stuff. Can easily use another one, this isnt what I need help with

If mods read this then it can be merged with the HUNK thread where I tried to post it before

Complete:

Unread 05-14-2012, 10:50 AM   #7
Leadmill
Looks good in uniform...

Well instead of compriming with a strainer. Why not use a jar lid and dremel the holes yourself.

Current Cosplay Projects
Nights Watch Brother (Game of Thrones) - 70%
Shy Guy (Mario Warfare) - 90%
Leadmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 03:14 PM   #8
Vector.
The Wolfpack

That kinda comes back to the same problem of not being able to get through metal. A strainer will look alot better than a jar lid anyway. The lid here is just acting as a base to sit the strainer in and it looks alot better. I have a strainer in my sink right now which has the 7 holes in it. This is how I want to do it. I tried the dremel anyway to drill a hole in it and it didnt work, it wants to slide over the surface rather than drill into the metal so thats why I posted this in the first place. Just need some suggestions on how to cut into metal where a hand saw cant get to and when my dremel isnt doing anything, even with metal cutting discs on it. Im close to just giving up and finding a piece of plastic or something instead to act as the base for this

Complete: