Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-07-2012, 10:25 PM   #1
scarletonthetil
scarletonthetile

Steampunk-style Crop jacket pattern/tutorial?

I want to make the jacket pictured at the top of this image.
http://oi50.tinypic.com/w1xpn9.jpg
the two images below it are references of the style of the jacket. The jacket style seems to be most evident in Steampunk fasion. If anyone knows of a jacket pattern or tutorial on making the jacket like in the images above it would really help me out! I am planning to make the jacket out of fake leather, pvc or vinyl.
scarletonthetil is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-12-2012, 07:51 PM   #2
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

This may be one of those franken projects, where you take elements from different patterns to do this. However, I did find this Butterick pattern that has most of the same elements, but would need to be heavily modified to work. Changing the bodice, extending the collar, and shortening the sleeves, attaching the bra part, adding fastenings.
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2012, 08:31 PM   #3
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

First off PSY-chan, that is one of my favorite patterns in the world, I've used it so much. And I was going to suggest it with alterations. You could make it with the high collar out of muslin or something, and then mark out where you want the new hem to be and do fitting to make it sit close to the body. I would make the lower half a separate top, like a bustier or something.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2012, 08:42 PM   #4
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

Validation from Mehdia? Happy squees! Seriously though, I have very little actual construction and sewing experience, but at least I can pick out a good pattern!
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2012, 09:49 PM   #5
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSY-chan View Post
Validation from Mehdia? Happy squees! Seriously though, I have very little actual construction and sewing experience, but at least I can pick out a good pattern!
Seriously!? Do you know that you made my day by saying that. But yeah, that pattern is great. I made a coat out of velvet a few years back out of the one with the split tailed back. I've also had fun modifying that pattern by using the shorter part for the one with peplum (without the peplum) and the tails. It makes nifty looking tail coats that are cool for steampunk too.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote