Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Canada Cosplay

Closed Thread
Unread 10-15-2012, 04:02 PM   #121
novaraven1

wow, that was an overly defensive answer as usual from you... but thank-you for clarifying the fact that your entry has nothing at all to do with your friend who is just a model or their level since you are the only one making the costumes. Any award aside from presentation would go to you. In north america we tend to value workmanship awards more and determine the level by the quality of the costume itself.

It's often assumed that everyone in a group has made their own costume, but that's not always the case. Most reg forms have a place for you to state who did the workmanship or if it was a combined effort. Your models are not going to be stuck as a journeyman or any other category for the rest of their lives just for helping you out as a model as long as they don't claim credit.

The reason I used master class as an example is because some smaller masqs don't get any entries at the top levels. People seem to cling to novice and journeyman thinking the competition will be easier there, when lately I've seen it become the opposite. There are some really spectacular novice entries at AN and they are only entering at the novice level because there is an odd sense that they have to work their way up through the ranks and earn their title as a master with a set number of wins at other levels. There are rough guidelines for that, but as far as i know noone is keeping track but you. And noone will stop you from going straight to master if you think youre up to the competition.

In my understanding "Master class" is not really an earned title that is completely consistent everywhere you go as much as it is a general level of craftmanship that helps the judges sort you all out during an individual event. You could be a Master at a small con and a Journeyman or lower at a much bigger con where the standards are higher. It's only relevant to the situation you're in.

You know your skill level and experience best. Do what you feel comfortable with and what gives you the most enjoyment out of the hobby. Don't feel the need to defend any part of it to anyone else. We all costume for different personal reasons and have different goals. And they are really noone elses business but your own.

Unread 10-15-2012, 06:52 PM   #122
Rainbowgasm
fruity goodness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaraven1 View Post
wow, that was an overly defensive answer as usual from you... but thank-you for clarifying the fact that your entry has nothing at all to do with your friend who is just a model or their level since you are the only one making the costumes. Any award aside from presentation would go to you. In north america we tend to value workmanship awards more and determine the level by the quality of the costume itself.

It's often assumed that everyone in a group has made their own costume, but that's not always the case. Most reg forms have a place for you to state who did the workmanship or if it was a combined effort. Your models are not going to be stuck as a journeyman or any other category for the rest of their lives just for helping you out as a model as long as they don't claim credit.

The reason I used master class as an example is because some smaller masqs don't get any entries at the top levels. People seem to cling to novice and journeyman thinking the competition will be easier there, when lately I've seen it become the opposite. There are some really spectacular novice entries at AN and they are only entering at the novice level because there is an odd sense that they have to work their way up through the ranks and earn their title as a master with a set number of wins at other levels. There are rough guidelines for that, but as far as i know noone is keeping track but you. And noone will stop you from going straight to master if you think youre up to the competition.

In my understanding "Master class" is not really an earned title that is completely consistent everywhere you go as much as it is a general level of craftmanship that helps the judges sort you all out during an individual event. You could be a Master at a small con and a Journeyman or lower at a much bigger con where the standards are higher. It's only relevant to the situation you're in.

You know your skill level and experience best. Do what you feel comfortable with and what gives you the most enjoyment out of the hobby. Don't feel the need to defend any part of it to anyone else. We all costume for different personal reasons and have different goals. And they are really noone elses business but your own.
what? I'm going to ignore the first part for fact I don't understand what you mean... but actually, someone who just models a costume IS stuck at the level if they should win an award in something with someone of a higher level... A friend of mine doesn't even cosplay, but because he was in an entry with a master once, wearing something he created, and they won, he now has to enter Master even if he makes his own costume... I hope you don't read that as snarky or defensive because its not, that is exactly what has happened to him... and if you read the ICG rules, that's one of the guidelines... even a handler can technically be 'trapped' as a Master for helping a winning entry at an event... it just depends on the event...
The rest of your message is just more eloquently stating what I was trying to state..you have better communications skills then I do and that's okay because I know I have problems with that...
Battler Ushiromiya from Umineko no Naku Koro Ni
Unread 10-18-2012, 05:49 PM   #123
KakeraのTsuki
in Somniō

Just a question. I sent an email a while ago but never got a reply. If anyone (particularly people who applied for AA) can clarify, that'd be awesome.

For Artist Alley, when will we know if we're in? I need to start planning early since life is busy and making stuff is time consuming. It'd be nice to know before pre-reg prices will go up too.

Otakuthon: Ashe(League of Legends), Artwork (Nardack illustrations)

Upcoming: Lyndis (Fire Emblem: awakening), Abel (Trinity Blood), Fruit Tart (Sakizo)

Unread 10-21-2012, 03:51 PM   #124
Bolts

I think I am physically incapable of NOT going this year... I've always avoided Con-G for whatever reason but I literally live down the street from the Delta. It sounds like fun though!
Unread 10-21-2012, 11:12 PM   #125
Dart:Dense Boy
Horses+Cosplay=Poor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KakeraのTsuki View Post
Just a question. I sent an email a while ago but never got a reply. If anyone (particularly people who applied for AA) can clarify, that'd be awesome.

For Artist Alley, when will we know if we're in? I need to start planning early since life is busy and making stuff is time consuming. It'd be nice to know before pre-reg prices will go up too.
I just got married last week and most of the Con-G staff was busy with that being in my wedding party - we'll be getting back to everyone this week :P Thanks for understanding ^.^

*Never judge anyone until you've walked a mile in their cosplay shoes :P* Those things are painful!
Unread 10-22-2012, 10:52 AM   #126
HylianKnight
Wandering Adventurer~

Dart: Dense Boy: Congratulations on the wedding~!

Upcoming...
Hattori Hanzo (SW3)
Feudal Link (Legend of Zelda)
Sir Auron (FFX)
Unread 10-22-2012, 05:03 PM   #127
Ookami12
Banned

If you want something simple yet cute and adorable try dressing kigurumi style. You will guaranteed get loveable hugs wearing this i recently bought the wolf kigu. But you can get characters like Pikachu and Totoro! just visit the link below to check it out!
Unread 10-25-2012, 02:44 AM   #128
KakeraのTsuki
in Somniō

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dart:Dense Boy View Post
I just got married last week and most of the Con-G staff was busy with that being in my wedding party - we'll be getting back to everyone this week :P Thanks for understanding ^.^
Ooh, congratulations! =)

Totally understandable, no worries. ^^

Otakuthon: Ashe(League of Legends), Artwork (Nardack illustrations)

Upcoming: Lyndis (Fire Emblem: awakening), Abel (Trinity Blood), Fruit Tart (Sakizo)

Unread 10-27-2012, 08:08 AM   #129
Horses+Cosplay=Poor

Hello Artists,

We're super excited about Con-G Season 5, and we hope you are too! Please forgive the delay in AA selection; one of the founders of Con-G, Lindsay Pattillo (she's the one who came up with our mascot Kon!), got married a couple weeks ago and all of the Con-G staff was tied up with that. Congratulations to Lindsay! <3 Now we can get back to work!

Also we'd like all our artists to know that this year the AA will be in its own room! Stuff will still be required to leave the room when the alley closes but this should fix some of the noise issues we've had in previous years.

APPLICATION UPDATES:
We've made it through the first round of the jurrying process! This is our first year doing the AA selection in this manner, so I'm sure we'll be quicker next year, don't worry!

MORE APPLICATIONS NEEDED: We have 40 spots this year!! Compared to the previous years this is more than twice the artists
We also need a few more applications to fully fill out the AA this year, so pass the news on to your artist friends if they have not yet applied! Just point them towards http://con-g.com/programming/artist-alley-information/ so we can check out their work.

*Never judge anyone until you've walked a mile in their cosplay shoes :P* Those things are painful!

Last edited by Dart:Dense Boy : 10-27-2012 at 08:13 AM.
Unread 10-27-2012, 08:16 AM   #130
Horses+Cosplay=Poor

Is anyone having issues posting?

Unread 10-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #131
sweet_kat22
Graphic Designer

Im looking forward to Con-G this year. I still haven't decided on a costume though.

Atomic Lollipop
Unsure of costume plans

Fan Expo
Harley Quinn (maybe with a Joker)
Unread 11-07-2012, 12:56 AM   #132
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

For those of us who bought early-bird pre-reg at Anime North, when do we get our pre-reg emails?
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
Unread 11-10-2012, 09:50 AM   #133
SuperBee
Jill of all trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_kat22 View Post
Im looking forward to Con-G this year. I still haven't decided on a costume though.
Yes.... I still have that problem.... Especially since my brother decided that he wants a Skyrim cosplay....

So would anyone be up to attempt to set up photoshoots? - I found a floor plan

Giant Diglett will return!

Possible Future Cosplays:
-Zapdos Original design (humanoid)
-Unown Original design (humanoid)
-Giant Gastly
-Marika Kato - Pirate Captain

Last edited by SuperBee : 11-10-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Unread 11-12-2012, 01:25 PM   #134
MutantCanuck

As I live on campus, sooooo going all three days, woot!
Unread 11-12-2012, 09:34 PM   #135
Rainbowgasm
fruity goodness!

bought my ticket at my gfs today!
Battler Ushiromiya from Umineko no Naku Koro Ni
Closed Thread