Go Back   Cosplay.com > International Forums > United Kingdom

Unread 05-16-2012, 02:40 PM   #1
Kairi_K

American Cosplayer in London

Hello, dear UK-cosplayers.

I'm an American student and I'll be studying abroad in London starting June 28 through (hopefully) the end of next May. Of course, one of the things I'm interested in knowing is whether should I pack a cosplay.

I've looked online, but I found too much information to sort through it all! So I'd like to know from you all: what are some popular anime cons in the UK? Would it be too weird for a random American to show up all by herself? What's UK cosplay etiquette? (when in Japan, you show up in normal clothes and change in to your cosplay there. When in America, you can bop around in your costume wherever you please. Where does the UK rank on that scale?)

Please help me out, if you can!
Kairi_K is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-17-2012, 09:12 AM   #2
Charny
<3

Lets see. I'll start with the easiet first. Most people tend to go to the event in their costumes, but others like to change into it when they're there. It all depends on what you feel comfortable with~ No one is going to question a lone american at an event, we'd gladly welcome you, we have many people from practically all over the world attending so there's no need to feel weird, and I'm pretty sure you'll make friends before or at the event. Now. Cons. There are a good number scattered all across the year. MCM London Expo is a big one held twice a year (May and October) check www.londonexpo.com Hyper Japan is also held twice a year (Spring and Autumn) and that has a lot more of a Japanese Culture feel to it rather that Anime, Manga and Games check www.hyperjapan.co.uk, Uhm. There's a ton more like LFCC, Kapow!, Kitacon and Amecon are smaller events but generally I've heard they're pretty good too, I think other people can fill in more events for you because I cant remember anymore right now xD

Costumes:
Mari (Summer Casual) - Neon Genesis Evangelion (MCM Expo - Friday)
Makise Kurisu - Steins;Gate (MCM Expo)
Charny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2012, 10:34 AM   #3
Neelh
Toa of Psionics

I'd pack two if I was going for that long.

nokama.tumblr.com
Neelh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 06:01 AM   #4
MewMewYuki
RenoTURKishDelight

So I'm an American also living in the UK! (though in Scotland) but I've been cosplaying across Scotland, England, and Ireland for about two years now. No one cares that you're American. People don't even ask that much when they hear your accent, and I've been confused for just faking it for my character, so don't be worrying about that, heh.

Best conventions I have been to while I have been here are London MCM Expo, which happens twice a year, Sunnycon, which is a newer con in Sunderland in the spring, and Q-Con, which is in Belfast every year and will be in its 20th year next summer.
I've heard great things about Nemacon in Newcastle and Nomcom in Dublin as well, so I'm hoping to attend them sometime soon.

As for arriving, I've always put on my cosplay in my hotel or wherever I am staying and travelled in cosplay. In London, NO ONE bothers you or even looks twice, and that includes on the London Underground. The closer you get to Expo, the more cosplayers you run into anyway, but seriously. I mean, I was dressed as Jin Kisaragi from BlazBlue last fall, about 45 minutes away from Expo still and someone random on the street asked me for directions. Me. Out of everyone around me. So yeah, don't be worrying about that.

Otherwise, be ready to understand that British cons are different as far as programming goes, and tend to be smaller, but they're still a lot of fun and have some amazing people at them!^^ And some great cosplay.