Go Back   Cosplay.com > International Forums > Japan

Unread 07-13-2014, 04:43 PM   #1
BlankChocobo

Smile Tokyo Game Show 2014

Hi! Has anyone made plans to attend Tokyo Game Show this year? I'll be flying into Tokyo the weekend before and attending both days.

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in doing a meetup on the Friday before TGS (Sept. 19)? I have a few Japanese friends who are attending TGS with me and are interested in getting to know some foreign gamers. They don't cosplay but they certainly like it.

You wouldn't have to be going to TGS to come hang out with us, but we may do the meetup in Makuhari rather than Tokyo, depending on what people's arrival schedules are like.

Nothing set in stone yet, but I figured I'd put it out there!
BlankChocobo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-15-2014, 07:01 AM   #2
sooyong
Ninja for Hire

I haven't been to TGS since 2008...the last I remember they had cosplayers in an area separate from the gaming exhibition area but I don't know if that's still the case.

I hope to be able to go so I can cosplay though! I mainly do game characters which are harder to find compared to anime cosplay in Japan, so TGS is right up my alley!

2014 plans:
TGS2014 - Zhurong (DW8) and fem!Kotetsu (Tiger&Bunny)
BIGBANG Concert - Fantastic Baby G-Dragon
Winter Comiket - ???

sooyong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2014, 08:58 AM   #3
moonlit-sky
call me TJ

I will be going TGS and be in Makuhari on 19th's late afternoon. I will be doing Guilty Gear with some Japanese friends throughout the weekend.
Sin Kiske (Guilty Gear) - planning

2014 events: TGS 2014, STGCC '14, AFA '14

moonlit-sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2014, 07:47 PM   #4
BlankChocobo

Cool! Glad to see some others going out for it! I'll be bringing a Monster Hunter Portable 2 Receptionist costume (because I can't NOT cosplay MH in Japan...!) and maybe Meryl Silverburgh if I get my stuff together.

sooyong, do you know what cosplay you'll be doing?

I'll definitely post up here if we end up doing something Friday.

As for cosplaying in the regular TGS areas..

I last went to TGS in 2012. In 2012, cosplayers could walk around the main area, but you could only stop to let people take pictures in the designated cosplay area, which makes sense because they're worried about traffic jams. The big video displays already cause enough people traffic problems inside.

The cosplay rules for 2014 specifically state that male cosplayers can be shirtless in the cosplay area but have to wear a jacket in the exhibition areas. So, I'm almost 100% sure you can remain in costume in the regular areas as long as you comply with the additional exhibition hall rules:

-don't have dragging skirts, cloaks etc. (fold and carry them when you walk around)
-no visible blood (cover it with something.. blood should be kept to a minimum, though, even in the cosplay area)
-no shirtless men (bring a jacket)

In case anyone needs them, here's a link to the English cosplay rules for TGS 2014.

http://expo.nikkeibp.co.jp/tgs/2014/...osplayers.html

Just to point out, some of these rules are not translated completely as they are on the Japanese cosplay rules page. For instance, you CAN wear a police or military uniform cosplay if it is clearly for a fictitious unit or group from a game ("ゲーム内に登場する架空の警察・軍隊は除く"), and you can have parts of your costume that lay on the floor as long as you pick them up and carry them while on the move.

^
Japanese rules
BlankChocobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2014, 08:03 AM   #5
sooyong
Ninja for Hire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlankChocobo View Post
Cool! Glad to see some others going out for it! I'll be bringing a Monster Hunter Portable 2 Receptionist costume (because I can't NOT cosplay MH in Japan...!) and maybe Meryl Silverburgh if I get my stuff together.

sooyong, do you know what cosplay you'll be doing?

I'll definitely post up here if we end up doing something Friday.

As for cosplaying in the regular TGS areas..

I last went to TGS in 2012. In 2012, cosplayers could walk around the main area, but you could only stop to let people take pictures in the designated cosplay area, which makes sense because they're worried about traffic jams. The big video displays already cause enough people traffic problems inside.

The cosplay rules for 2014 specifically state that male cosplayers can be shirtless in the cosplay area but have to wear a jacket in the exhibition areas. So, I'm almost 100% sure you can remain in costume in the regular areas as long as you comply with the additional exhibition hall rules:

-don't have dragging skirts, cloaks etc. (fold and carry them when you walk around)
-no visible blood (cover it with something.. blood should be kept to a minimum, though, even in the cosplay area)
-no shirtless men (bring a jacket)

In case anyone needs them, here's a link to the English cosplay rules for TGS 2014.

Just to point out, some of these rules are not translated completely as they are on the Japanese cosplay rules page. For instance, you CAN wear a police or military uniform cosplay if it is clearly for a fictitious unit or group from a game ("ゲーム内に登場する架空の警察・軍隊は除く"), and you can have parts of your costume that lay on the floor as long as you pick them up and carry them while on the move.

^
Japanese rules
Thanks for the info! Glad to hear that I'd be able to walk around, but I'd actually be a little worried considering that I'd hope to wear my Dead or Alive costume (Kasumi, the one in my avatar). It's a bit on the revealing side even though I'd be wearing dance tights.

It's not 100% that I'll be going, but if I go I'll let you guys know.

2014 plans:
Winter Comiket - ???

Unread 08-24-2014, 01:01 AM   #6
Raiphin
compulsive problem solver

I'll be going either Saturday or Sunday--one of those days I'll be hopping down to Kyoto for the Manga Fair--it'd be awesome to meet new cosplayers while I'm at TGS! ^ - ^ I may be going by myself, which is a bit intimidating for my first Japanese Cosplay event.

Raiphin
Facebook.com/RaiphinCosplay
Raiphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2014, 07:18 PM   #7
sooyong
Ninja for Hire

Where does everyone plan to stay (hotel-wise) while at TGS? I'm looking into booking a place (I'm coming from Western Japan) and was wondering if anyone had some recommendations for an affordable place.

2014 plans:
Winter Comiket - ???