Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Canada Cosplay

Unread 08-21-2012, 08:20 PM   #1
harudae
TOKUSENTAI

Unplugged Expo

I'm in no way associated with the con, but I heard of it a few weeks ago and was just wondering if anyone on here was planning on checking it out? c:

http://unpluggedexpo.com/

It's on September 22-23, and tickets are only $10.00 for the weekend right now.

I'm skipping out on FanEx and most likely DTAC this year and a few friends are interested in this, so I might check it out!
Yamuraiha - Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic
Maybe? Aoi Asahina - Dangan Ronpa
harudae is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-21-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
musicalcats
Mars Fire Ignite

Here is the Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/events/387900617939580/

Anime North 2015:
Tsunade (Naruto) (Friday)
Sailor Chibi Moon (Sailor Moon) (Saturday)
Tellu (Sailor Moon) (Sunday)
My cosplay page:
musicalcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2012, 06:40 AM   #3
defectedmodel
Android

I'm thinking of checking it out For $10 you can't really go wrong.
Biker Sailor Saturn - Saturday night

Facebook Page :3
defectedmodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2012, 09:25 AM   #4
sweet_kat22
Graphic Designer

Im going looks like fun

Atomic Lollipop
Unsure of costume plans

Fan Expo
Harley Quinn (maybe with a Joker)
sweet_kat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2012, 11:55 AM   #5
MDA
Destiny Productions

If it weren't for cost of travel for me, I'd go. Otherwise..... yeah, can't go because of travel. FX took a lot, and now I gotta save up again.

2014 Cons/Events:
Too many events for 2013, to see the full list please visit here: MDA's Schedule

Facebook | deviantART
MDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2012, 04:55 PM   #6
Lightning Baron
School of Puzzle Fighter

I am in so I will see you all there. Good a Event when it is not 1 million degress outside or freezing and wet.

http://lightning--baron.deviantart.com/
Lightning Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 03:09 PM   #7
HidoshiNobunaga
Fire on the Mountain

Definitely going to check it out, though very disappointed about one "guest" they chose to represent the Toronto cosplay community. Dude is neither a master-level cosplayer nor a worthwhile contributor to panels and workshops. Very disappoint.
1 Summers Lane, Hamilton, ON
HidoshiNobunaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 03:46 PM   #8
EnviousHeart
Jax

You are disappointed why? Antonio may not be a master cosplayer but he DOES run the ontario cosplay community group, which hosts tons of meet ups,tables at cons,helps cosplayers, promotes events etc. Antonio runs it really well despite it being a HUGE group. I am actually really happy that they made him a guest! He does a lot of work for our community, so I think he deserves it. Just cause you don't like him as a person doesn't mean that you can dismiss all the things he's done
Unread 09-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #9
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

I don't see any male cosplay guest, who is everyone so angry about?
Unread 09-03-2012, 07:20 PM   #10
HidoshiNobunaga
Fire on the Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnviousHeart View Post
You are disappointed why? Antonio may not be a master cosplayer but he DOES run the ontario cosplay community group, which hosts tons of meet ups,tables at cons,helps cosplayers, promotes events etc. Antonio runs it really well despite it being a HUGE group. I am actually really happy that they made him a guest! He does a lot of work for our community, so I think he deserves it. Just cause you don't like him as a person doesn't mean that you can dismiss all the things he's done
I'm not going to undersell his efforts to be integrated as part of the community, and my dislike isn't personal, it's professional. It's the fact that he's been a gigantic nuisance to other conventions, including two I work for and one which I run. It doesn't help that he's also "promoted" other groups and events poorly and often without contacting them first, resulting in misrepresentation.

ie: A certain charity group was "represented" by him recently, only to learn that he was making it look like he had something to do with them, when he didn't at all.

My take? He's an opportunist who wants attention. As someone heavily invested in the community, I can't brook that kind of behaviour. He can be a promoter and involved all he likes, but he isn't a master-level cosplayer (which is what he billed himself as, so that's misrepresentation), and there are dozens of individuals who work far harder and are far more qualified to speak for the Ontario cosplay community at large.

That said, I've put what I want on the table about the matter. I'm not going to argue any further for his involvement/non-involvement, but I felt the need to make it clear why so many people are protesting his guest spot. It seems the protests have been loud enough that he's been removed anyway, so there's that.

So as not to distract from actual beneficial conversation about Unplugged, if you'd like to argue the point, my inbox is always open.
1 Summers Lane, Hamilton, ON
HidoshiNobunaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 09:14 PM   #11
Liliana
Palamecia's Hyper Emperor

I wish I was going! ;A; But my family will be out of town that weekend and I have no way of getting there.... Maybe next time? If I hear enough good things about this con, I'd love to check it out next time!!! (and stop missing out on all these cool Canadian conventions over the summertime *sobs sobs*) I hope to see lots of pictures of people cosplaying from this con afterwards!~

Quote:
Originally Posted by HidoshiNobunaga View Post
I'm not going to undersell his efforts to be integrated as part of the community, and my dislike isn't personal, it's professional. It's the fact that he's been a gigantic nuisance to other conventions, including two I work for and one which I run. It doesn't help that he's also "promoted" other groups and events poorly and often without contacting them first, resulting in misrepresentation.

ie: A certain charity group was "represented" by him recently, only to learn that he was making it look like he had something to do with them, when he didn't at all.

My take? He's an opportunist who wants attention. As someone heavily invested in the community, I can't brook that kind of behaviour. He can be a promoter and involved all he likes, but he isn't a master-level cosplayer (which is what he billed himself as, so that's misrepresentation), and there are dozens of individuals who work far harder and are far more qualified to speak for the Ontario cosplay community at large.

That said, I've put what I want on the table about the matter. I'm not going to argue any further for his involvement/non-involvement, but I felt the need to make it clear why so many people are protesting his guest spot. It seems the protests have been loud enough that he's been removed anyway, so there's that.

So as not to distract from actual beneficial conversation about Unplugged, if you'd like to argue the point, my inbox is always open.
...It sounds like Antonio must be doing something right to get where he is at right now. If he wasn't, and was a complete nuisance, he wouldn't be where he is at. Sure he may not be a 'master level' cosplayer but you know, sometimes it is the more lowly cosplayers who are a greater inspiration to people, than those who are at a higher class! He DOES do a lot of work organizing groups, and is known by enough people in the cosplay community for that reason. He is also very talented with makeup. I guess my eyes see Antonio differently than yours, I have yet to see that 'opportunist who wants attention' side of him as you have described, hahaha! But as far as I am concerned, he truly DOES care about the cosplay community and works hard for it, and I think that is really sweet. Some people couldn't care less.~ ^^
Liliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 10:42 PM   #12
ZombiiAxelBlitz
Shy little bull

This convention is on the same streetcar rout I take to school. I pass that hotel a lot. I really wanna go to this now. :O

Anime North 2013: Keith (L4D2)
ZombiiAxelBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2012, 02:04 AM   #13
Yami Sasha
Random Negotiator

What is everyone actually cosplaying to Unplugged?
Unread 09-04-2012, 04:27 AM   #14
HareyuNanami
Princess of Dreams :3

Going back to Canada on Thursday; so I will hopefully make my return to Canadian cons for Unplugged =D not to sure on Cosplay yet XD
I really want to wear my Red Alice in Wonderland outfit... but dont know for which character...

Aradia in Wonderland
or
Meiko Alice Human Sacrifice? what do you guys think? XD
something I dont know XD

*And on the talk with Antonio; he is a wonderful guy! I have talked to him on multiple occasions and I am also a admin for the Ontario Cosplay Community for the Barrie region =3
I would love the opportunity to meet him in person and really its a small con. They probably couldn't get big names that people wanted. And agreeing with Liliana; Antonio does a lot of things "behind the scenes" really that people dont really notice but its a big impact

Cosplay List!

Convention List
CON-G 2014
Costume Con Toronto 2014
Anime North 2014
FanExpo 2014

My Youtube

Last edited by HareyuNanami : 09-04-2012 at 04:41 AM.
HareyuNanami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2012, 08:11 AM   #15
sweet_kat22
Graphic Designer

I haven't decided what to cosplay- either Andraia from Reboot, or Princess Jasmine. Depending on how much money I have, if Im really broke Ill fix up Enzo. Batgirl is my other choice I got too many ideas

Atomic Lollipop
Unsure of costume plans

Fan Expo
Harley Quinn (maybe with a Joker)
sweet_kat22 is offline   Reply With Quote