Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Seeking Cosplayers

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 56 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-15-2013, 10:22 AM   #2611
GurenRose

@ayaasan Haha me too! And that looks absolutely adorable! Oh and kind of a tangent: I think it is great you are considering textures, because is kind of my pet peeve when people just use cheap fabric for everything simply because they are cosplaying an animated character. As a seamstress/costumer I love seeing cosplays with some actual fabric variation

Unread 09-15-2013, 10:53 AM   #2612
ayaasan

@Gurren: Thank-you!~ I cringe at cheaper fabric, lol. In fact, I kept having to remind myself when I was making the apron that aprons ARE made of quilters cotton. I so badly wanted to make the bow out of glitter satin with a rhinestone organza overlay XD
Unread 09-15-2013, 01:58 PM   #2613
La Tulipe Noire
Un pour tous

Come on guys, some of us can't afford more expensive fabric even if we want to. We either use cheaper stuff or we don't get to cosplay. I'd love to use some really nice stuff to make all my outfits, but I can't because I have no job, no money, and have to pay back loans soon for graduating college. On top of that I have to worry about paying for the hotels, rides, and conventions that these cosplays go to. We do the best we can with what we can.

On that subject, @Ayaasan: I guess we won't be coworkers any time soon. It's been almost a week after I've contacted your boss and not heard anything. So back to square one.

I might work on Miss Martian today, I don't know yet.
Agent 13 []
Polaris []

My Tumblr
La Tulipe Noire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 02:27 PM   #2614
ayaasan

Tulipe: Oh!! I didn't mean anything, I'm honestly, truly sorry...I wasn't remotely trying to "bash" or anything >.< It wasn't in regards to others--I highly respect what can be done with any type of fabric...the comment was regarding what I use myself, not at what others use T.T

Last edited by ayaasan : 09-15-2013 at 02:29 PM.
ayaasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 08:11 PM   #2615
TheSDBux

It is so interesting reading the common topic of costume material hunting and having absolutely nothing to add in to be productive :-/ I feel like such a drag to the Cosplay community in the SD area now.. All I bring to the game is my camera :-P
TheSDBux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 11:18 PM   #2616
GurenRose

@Tulipe Oh! I'm so sorry I wasn't very clear I costume for a local high school and I literally had a play where I had a $0 budget, so everything came out of my pocket (and I'm a college student too), so I am a big fan of inexpensive fabric and thrifting to find things to use for scraps. Besides, I shamelessly creeped on your pictures and all your cosplays look amazing! I sincerely apologize for the misunderstanding, I worded my comment poorly.
Unread 09-16-2013, 01:12 PM   #2617
LinkPwnsGanon
Queen Mikasa Scarf Face

If I had a job then yeah for sure I would love to have better quality fabric to work with but sadly I can't so I have to work with whatever I can actually get my hands and hope for the best I don't mess up due to the fact I don't wanna spend the money I don't have :\

On another lighter note: It's 100% sure I'm going to be attending Comikaze for my birthday! Yay! My older sister and my younger sister will be joining me! My older sister I don't think she's gonna cosplay but my younger sister wants to go as Poison Ivy so we'll get that done for her once she buys her fabric xD

My mom is gonna get us a room at the Hyatt hotel, I know it's far from the convention center but we all like the hotel since we're use to it and it's for free! So excited because we'll be going to Disneyland the next day! I wanna make a stormtrooper dress for me and my younger sister and darth vader one for my oldest sister (kinda wish I could do a Boba Fett one but two stormtroopers with a drath vader sounds like fun! xD )

W.I.P:
Queen Mikasa - AoT 20%
Dark Zelda - SSBB 30%
Wings of Counterattack!Mikasa - AoT 25%
Judy Skellington - Nightmare before Christmas 10%
Tinkerbell - Disney 5%

Planned:
Black Canary - DC Bombshell
Nonon Jakuzure - Kill La Kill 5%
Lana - Hyrule Warriors
Lisa Garland - Silent Hill
Queen Serenity - Sailor Moon
Vergil(genderbent): DMC:5
LinkPwnsGanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 03:18 PM   #2618
GurenRose

I chose my words poorly- really so sorry! :/

Last edited by GurenRose : 09-25-2013 at 12:08 AM.
Unread 09-17-2013, 08:54 PM   #2619
La Tulipe Noire
Un pour tous

My friend who goes to a theater school to learn about make-up and effects suggested what type of make-up to buy for Miss Martian. Thankfully Gypsy Treasure has it, now it's time to find a color. What do you think would be best?

http://www.gypsytreasure.com/magicak...-cf-p-464.html These are the options.
Agent 13 []
Polaris []

My Tumblr
Unread 09-17-2013, 10:13 PM   #2620
LinkPwnsGanon
Queen Mikasa Scarf Face

I say lime green

W.I.P:
Queen Mikasa - AoT 20%
Dark Zelda - SSBB 30%
Tinkerbell - Disney 5%

Planned:
Lana - Hyrule Warriors
Unread 09-18-2013, 12:15 AM   #2621
Hearth
Unregistered User

Lime green does seem like it would be the closest.

Hearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 03:28 PM   #2622
LinkPwnsGanon
Queen Mikasa Scarf Face

*rises from the dead* xD

How's everyone been?! I think I might end up buying my Comikaze ticket online instead on the day of Saturday, woot woot!

W.I.P:
Queen Mikasa - AoT 20%
Dark Zelda - SSBB 30%
Tinkerbell - Disney 5%

Planned:
Lana - Hyrule Warriors
Unread 09-22-2013, 05:57 PM   #2623
ayaasan

Not much new on my end--just keepin' up with projects so that everything's done on time for Halloween/Comikaze.

I'm almost finished with a ridiculously HUGE Lord Monochromicorn plush--spare pillow, methinks :3 I'm also re-making my Robin tunic to be more accurate to Burt Ward's costume ala sleeveless tunic over leotard. I went with a red low luster stretch sateen this time around, since the last tunic I sewed with suiting made me look frumpy even with the darts :/

Also found the most amazing glitter swirl organza in hot pink to use as an overlay for GB's cuffs and belt. (Still arguing over whether to even make the belt yet, since I plan on debuting with the apron and it'd be covered up...hmmm...)

Also, a Kahleesi will be debuting at Comikaze --GB is going to be hot, heavy and awkward, so I figure I'll change into Dany mid-day on Friday.

EDIT: Woohoo! Lookit how much more form-fitting/flattering this sateen is!!~ Just need to serge, hem, install the zipper, add the odd side "wings" and add the collar.Then, besides gluing on the emblem and clasps Robin is DONE!

Last edited by ayaasan : 09-22-2013 at 08:59 PM.
ayaasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2013, 02:48 PM   #2624
La Tulipe Noire
Un pour tous

I haven't been doing much of anything. I'm not sure where else to apply for jobs. Thinking of using one of those websites where you can post your resume and see what happens. On a good note I got an interview for the volunteer job at the Museum of Man, so we'll see if anything comes of that. The experience is good, and I want to work there, but I'm worried about the distance and lack of pay. I'm going to defer my loan payment again, so that'll give me some more time to find a good job.

My friend who is going to be Wondergirl is already almost done with it. xD I haven't done any work on Miss Martian probably Wednesday, I am feeling lazy today, but that's the same as any day really.

@Hearth: I was thinking the same. If I was more comfortable with it I might try to mix them, but I think with my skin color it'll make the lime green a little dark too.

@Ayaasan: Wondering if you have any tips on how to make the Wiccan headpiece http://25.media.tumblr.com/ae473f958...84yro1_500.jpg I don't know why but I woke up this morning thinking about it.
Agent 13 []
Polaris []

My Tumblr

Last edited by La Tulipe Noire : 09-23-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Unread 09-23-2013, 06:08 PM   #2625
ayaasan

Tulipe: Are the designs engraved? Or embossed?

Embossed would be easier, since you could use the craft foam armor method and create the designs with puffy paint. Then weather it a bit /emphasize details with a black paint wash before a gloss finish. It would also look pretty cool if you used silver foil paper (you can get it Joanns and Michaels for ~1.50/sheet in the stationary section) for the back panel glued over craft foam :3

Engraved would be a bit tricky, but I'd go with model magic formed over a sheet of craft foam for the sake of weight. It's the same method widely used for creating Arrancar masks from Bleach, and it works really well Then create the design on the still malleable clay ala toothpick, needles, exacto blades, etc. It's a slow process since the clay likes to be lumpy, though :P

Oh, and mixing face paint colors is actually REALLY easy if you want to give it a shot--Marshall Lee was my first time doing it Just pick up an extra empty makeup tub--around .25--and something for mixing--I used a Popsicle stick, but you could also use a plastic spoon, etc. Scrape a bit of each color you're using into your empty tub (usually 50/50, but depends upon how light or dark you're aiming for) and pop it in the microwave for ten second intervals, checking the consistency until it's like toothpaste. Mix with your utensil until well blended, then pop it in the freezer for a day or two.