Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Seeking Cosplayers

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 49 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-13-2012, 10:28 PM   #1111
ayaasan

Besides communication with my sister, I barely use facebook except for news-feeds on sales, trailers, etc. (It's even under a nickname from when I was really little, so no one has found me yet :3) That massively sucks that it would pull something like that :/

And I massively need to look into getting a parasol for when I'm up in Los Angeles for Comikaze. (I'm pale as frick and have never been able to tan, so Snow White was a natural choice, lol) Trying to find a local place that sells 'em for relatively cheap since I can only seem to see them at street fairs, bazaars, etc.

On a second note, vacation starts as of tonight, and I'm off until Friday, woohoo! I'll probably be busy tomorrow, but I'm free Wednesday.
ayaasan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-14-2012, 10:37 AM   #1112
Jonowxeno
Photog

I'm so tired from this weekend, mostly cause of the heat and inability to sleep properly...

Yeah, Giga-Con was fun! I thought more people were going to show up but at least I got to meet Tulipe!

Ya and FB just Timelined me...so I gotta fix any privacy stuff it might have changed, or maybe I'll just take off any personal stuff at this point cause I'm basically just using it to post photos and connect with people who want photos.
Flickr, Facebook, DA
Jonowxeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2012, 11:48 AM   #1113
ayaasan

Going to pick up my Ice Queen fabric today! Hopefully I'll have the bodice patterned and cut out today, since it means I can escape the heat working inside :P

!!~Heads up--You can get casa satin for 1/2 off today at Joann's due to the summer sale Hopefully this means a red-tag sale, too!!

EDIT: Just got my fabric and trim! YAY!!!

Over 9 yards of casa satin all together, not including the extra 2 yards of sparkly periwinkle satin I'm using for the front panel of the bodice and sleeves, and the 2 yards of sparkly organza overlay for the overskirts :3 That's a total of 13 yards of fabric in this gown, not including the already made hoop skirt with about 20 yards of tulle netting for fluff o.0

Last edited by ayaasan : 08-14-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Unread 08-14-2012, 03:41 PM   #1114
La Tulipe Noire
Un pour tous

I usually only used my FB for the chat feature to keep in contact with friends, and get updates. I'd delete it if it weren't for the fact that I STILL want to use it for those features. I would. My only other option is to delete all my photos. :/

FIX Privacy stuff, try finding something on FB that still IS private after this freaking Timeline thing. I'm so pissed off.

@Jono: I was surprised at how many people at Giga-con I knew. I mean, I knew that the Conji people were going to be there but some of the random cosplayers too~ There were people coming and going all day, but I was expecting more. We all separated into little groups though, none of us are very friendly. xD But it was awesome to finally meet you in person!

@Ayaasan: You could try 99 Ranch or one of the Asian market places. They might have a parasol. And depending on where in Los Angeles there's always Little Tokyo. I know Parkway used to have a small shop that sold Asian-type goods and I know they had little parasols. Don't know if the store is still there anymore though.

I want to get to Joann's before I go back. >_> Get some GOOD fabric to use out there.
Polaris []

My Tumblr
La Tulipe Noire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2012, 04:11 PM   #1115
ayaasan

I'd definitely take advantage of the sale--I got nine yards of satin and silver trim for $40
Unread 08-14-2012, 04:52 PM   #1116
Jonowxeno
Photog

@Tulipe: Well that usually happens during large events, people split off into smaller groups with the people they know better. I should have spent more time trying to meet everyone, or at very least the Conji and Gigaventure people...

@ayaasan: I have no idea how much fabric is, so all I can say is nice grab! lol

Yesterday was a bit hectic, lots of people showed up at the gathering and there were very few photographers. Tried to get shoots with as many people as possible but couldn't fit everyone in. Some great, some so-so shots; I've started to notice which cosplayers in the group know how to model/pose and which don't, think I'll have to work on my directing skills for them.
And then there are certain cosplays I just don't care for, wonder if there is any way to say no without offending the cosplayer...?
Flickr, Facebook, DA
Unread 08-14-2012, 05:07 PM   #1117
La Tulipe Noire
Un pour tous

@Jono: All the people I pointed out to you were Conji people. xD Two of the Conji people are also Gigaventure people. I noticed at the last gathering people were kind of off on their own. And some who did talk freaked me out a bit. I also noticed a lot of people at the gatherings are the same people, with the same stuff and cosplays. Every time. You could just tell them "Not this time, thanks" A lot of the time I saw the cosplayers come up to the photographers and wait to be noticed. My friend who is a photographer keeps getting kind of 'stepped' on and people try to take advantage of his photography. He started saying no because he was tired of being nice.

@Ayaasan: I'm gonna try to get out there! Need me some fabric!
Polaris []

My Tumblr
Unread 08-14-2012, 05:58 PM   #1118
Jonowxeno
Photog

@Tulipe: I really should have introduced myself to them XD
Which photographer? Mike? Cause I know I hear his name all the time and I know he wasn't carrying his camera during Gigacon lol. Kinda happened to me yesterday, simply cause I was one of maybe 2 people with DSLRs.
Nobody has freaked me out, but there are some people that are weird. One guy kept talking to me yesterday and in my head all I could think about was 'I don't care for this conversation at all.' Oh and then there was this one girl I was shooting who has ADD or something cause she kept breaking poses + goofing off and basically wasted time, at one point I just stopped shooting.
I definitely agree with you on the same cosplay over and over. If I've gotten pics of it, we don't need to shoot again unless we have a new idea/location or something. And then there are the plain ones that are just like...no.
Flickr, Facebook, DA
Unread 08-14-2012, 06:18 PM   #1119
La Tulipe Noire
Un pour tous

@Jono: XD Well you kind of met them. You were trapped in Veve's house for a while. There's less about being introduced and more like morphing into the circle. Mike is Conji's official photographer. He was kind of sitting in the corner. He's pretty open about shooting most people if you're nice about it. I was talking about Darryl, Darryl USED to go to most regular gatherings, Mike very rarely did. Not sure why he didn't bring his stuff, he didn't seem to be in a very good mood for some reason.
It's got to be frustrating to shoot people who can't focus. I'm a horrible person to shoot because I'll always do the opposite of what you say. Be like "Put your left foot forward" and I'll put out my right foot and not understand why you're upset. xD

It's very hard to take pictures, I imagine, when you have the same people in the same location. o-o
Polaris []

My Tumblr
Unread 08-14-2012, 06:20 PM   #1120
ayaasan

I actually was approached by a cosplayer on the bus ride to Balboa Park yesterday. He seemed super nice, so I didn't really mind talking to him. My Fluttershy shoulder bag covered with nerdy buttons apparently makes me approachable me as a cosplayer/nerd :P

I also didn't see it first hand, but one of the multimedia guys came to talk to me about the cosplayers in the park, and said that he actually had to tell some of them to stop climbing on the pipes outside of the building. (And he's a totally chill guy, so they must have been doing something pretty bad for him to yell at them...) The few always ruin it for the many for our reputation, which is why I'm always super nice when I walk around in costume. (Common sense, sheesh)

And I'm a long-time cosplayer, but I've haven't modeled much >.< I know the basics, and try to keep in character as best as I can, but if you think a pose I'm doing is silly/stupid, I'm not remotely offended if you tell me so I want to learn!
Unread 08-14-2012, 06:38 PM   #1121
La Tulipe Noire
Un pour tous

I find if I have nerdy stuff, people are more likely to talk to me. xD Whether I want it or not. There are a lot of younger cosplayers who think that the gatherings at Balboa or Seaport are the best thing and it means that they can do whatever they want. Unfortunately that also includes messing around with people and things they have no real business touching.

Ayaasan, you have such nice cosplays that I'm surprised you don't have millions of photos all over the place. xD
Polaris []

My Tumblr
Unread 08-14-2012, 06:46 PM   #1122
ayaasan

Thank-you sooo much! (You have some pretty awesome costumes yourself!~)
I actually would LOVE to do photo-shoots more often, but I never seem to time things properly/I didn't really know any photographers (until now, Jono! ^_^)

And I'm exhausted. I patterned out my Ice Queen bodice from scratch, cut it out, and I'm done for the day, lol. Time to start sewing early in the morning tomorrow, when it's not too hot. The sleeves will be attached to some straps I'll be sewing on.

Unread 08-14-2012, 07:22 PM   #1123
La Tulipe Noire
Un pour tous

Aww. Thank you! Now that you know photographers you gotta get some nice shots! I especially want a million photos of our X-men stuff.

I don't know how you do that, Ayaasan. Teach me your ways.
Polaris []

My Tumblr
Unread 08-14-2012, 08:00 PM   #1124
ayaasan

I pretty much self taught myself drafting from trial and error. This worked for Lottie's gown, I'd like to do this better, it would fit better if this seam was more curved, etc. Teach you the ways of sewing I shall, young Padawan :P

And should I make more pengiun plush for an army? (I'm going to make more anyway to sell on etsy) I can't really think of any more characters I can make into plush for the Ice Queen, which saddens me because I really like creating patterns and sewing plush :/ Maybe rig up some "ice" gloves...hmmm...I digress and am rambling, lol.
Unread 08-14-2012, 09:01 PM   #1125
La Tulipe Noire
Un pour tous

I am in your talented hands! Some.. Day. xD Since I leave soon. Boohoo. ; w ; People keep telling me they'll help teach things and then they never do and blame me for not getting anything done.

You can make tiny penguins and put them on your shoulders! o: So you don't have to carry them. Or something like that. Penguins everywhere!
Polaris []

My Tumblr