Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > AC-Cubed

Unread 08-16-2011, 10:41 AM   #1
Antique_Doll

What happened to AC-Cubed?

Did AC-Cubed change into Naru2U? I really liked AC3 it was a lot of fun.
Antique_Doll is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-18-2011, 01:56 AM   #2
kurumasha
Procrastinates Well

AC3 unfortunately died due mainly to location and financial issues (it had outgrown all the venues it could afford because Ottawa convention space is stupidly expensive), with an added bonus of staff burnout.

Shortly after AC3 died, G-Anime (in Gatineau, which is practically Ottawa) and Naru2U started, but neither are run by SOAP (AC3's parent group, which also folded a couple years after AC3).
kurumasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2011, 10:29 PM   #3
Shouri no Hana
Dragoon Wannbe

Comment Removed

Commander Shepard (ME3 - Sentinel) Progress:80%
Commander Shepard (ME - Infiltrator) Progress:15%

Last edited by Shouri no Hana : 09-12-2011 at 06:20 PM.
Shouri no Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2011, 11:28 PM   #4
CardMaster

Antique_Doll @: Not event if some where in Ac-Cubed, there is not much in commun with those two con except they location.

You also have G-Anime, with is just after the bridge 10 minute walk from the parlemant.
It bigger in space, connect with a food core and have a bigger dealer room, a good mascarade and a Internationnel renew AMV contest. Of course it is not 100% english, but both important event are bilingual, security and service is too.

kurumasha; I agree with everything except the level language use to describe the way that over charging people that what to rent a hotel in Ottawa. That should be call a crime. I can get something almost as the Travelle Lodge for less than 4000$ for a week ends in Gatineau and 5000- to 7000 $ in Montréal....

Shouri no Hana: Don't sell the bear before it is actually killed. That wait and see for Naru 2 u or N2U. A lot of people did said that it was they last years since tree years ago. I will believe it when they said that the last time.

For G-Anime, yes we struggle because we did not (I will not explain again the reason) use the traditional way, get a small place and then good bigger. We did get the big one first. THe first edition was done to be at lost. Thing is that the owner of the palais did change and we got cut in a raise of price too. We expect to recover the lost this years, and we got a really nice edition to come that for sure!

Last edited by CardMaster : 09-02-2011 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Correction of my scrappy english
CardMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2011, 12:51 AM   #5
Midli
DJ Midli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shouri no Hana View Post
correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard through the grape vine that this is the last year for N2U simply because they're not making enough. (I don't go myself, their masquerade isn't official) GAnime was rumoured to close at one point too...

Ottawa isn't good for conventions.
Two things are incorrect with this statement.

1. "The last year for N2u": N2u has no plans at this moment for this to be our "last year".

2. "Their Masquerade isn't official", This is more a "I'm not sure what you mean by this" statement, as the only OFFICIAL masquerade in Canada is Anime North, its the only one with ICG "Recognition".

N2u, just like G-anime, and many other Canadian anime conventions is following ICG reccomended guidelines. As a matter of fact, as I understand it; our masquerade head received a large book of the ICG guidelines and other wonderful tips for running a masquerade, after our 2nd year, from Kaijugal/Dawn herself, a very active member in the ICG and Anime Norths Masquerade Director.

- Steve, Head of PR, N2u anime convention, Ottawa

P.S. if you could please reclarify what you mean and what led you to believe the statement "Our Masquerade is not official" that would be greatly appreciated.

P.P.S. In all honesty, I can remember hearing rumours about ac3's demise after their 2nd year, and thats almost a decade ago now(god i feel old) those proved to be false as ac3 went on for a 3rd and 4th year. I think the community likes to gossip and rumour alot. Rather bemusing to say the least

Last edited by Midli : 09-07-2011 at 01:06 AM.
Midli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2011, 10:56 PM   #6
Kaijugal
☆FibreFantasyArtist

To my knowledge their masquerade director has been working really hard
to make the masquerade as good at it can be, following the guidelines,
and trying to included all the standards that contestants are accustomed to.

Let's try to be positive please.

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels, Contests, Classes and Events. Costumes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitons, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Big Fricken Trophies and so much more!
Get your membership today!
www.costumecon32.com

Last edited by Kaijugal : 09-13-2011 at 10:58 PM.
Kaijugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2012, 10:42 AM   #7
MelMuff
Hopeless Romantic

From what I looked up years ago and from what I can remember, AC3 began in 2004. I only found out about it in 2006 and was upset that I had missed in the past. I went again in 2007 but then nothing about it in 2008 so I had wondered the same thing. What happened to it? I waited patiently for it to come back. Little did I know that Naru 2U began that same year and missed it too. It would take a newspaper article in 2009 for me to find out about Naru 2U. Since then, I have been going to that convention each year. I go to GAnime too when I can but cannot every year. Anyway, a new whole thread should be created for Naru 2U. I wonder why one isn't created yet?

~*~ AC Cubed 2007 ~*~

Kikyo (InuYasha)
MelMuff is offline   Reply With Quote