Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Anime North

Unread 05-25-2012, 05:59 PM   #1
Hime no Toki
NiGHTmaren
Modoka Magica

Anime North 2012: Feedback Thread

This thread is for posting your thoughts/opinions on Anime North 2012!

From your experience this year, what were the pros and cons? What were the highlights and lowlights? Would you return again next year?

Also, you can discuss the particulars of the convention, such as the events, panels, masquerade, dances, etc., as well as what you thought about the con and hotel staff, the hotel, convention space, food, dealer's room, attendees, and whatever else pertaining to this year's Anime North!

Remember to make your commentary polite and keep things civil!

2014 - Upcoming Conventions :
Anime Weekend Atlanta (GA) - FandomCon (FL)

Upcoming costumes : Princess Garnet (coronation gown) from FFIX, Edea Lee (various costmes) from Bravely Default, and more!

http://www.facebook.com/NiGHTmarenCosplay
Hime no Toki is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-27-2012, 01:43 PM   #2
Kairi's-Fantasy
Artsy Tech

It was my first time at Anime North this year, and I have to say, I really enjoyed it! I loved seeing all the cosplayers - It was pretty amazing! I've been to Fan Expo and I think that I like Anime North a bit better. I felt so welcomed with everyone dressed up and I had a really fun time!
It was my first time so I didn't really understand what was there so I just walked around and bought stuff :P It was pretty crowded too!
I liked all the photoshoots that were going on outside - It was cool!
I would definitely come back to Anime North! I'd like to come with my friends when I'm older, because since I'm still only 13 and had to come with my sister (Who doesn't really know anything about anime or gaming), I can't really participate in the events that everyone else that's older goes to >.<
But overall, I had a great first experience!
Taiga Aisaka (Toradora!)
Blossom (Powerpuff Girls - Original "post-disaster"/"geared up" ver.)

Planned for 2015:
Kairi (Kingdom Hearts - Steampunk)
Fem!Edward Elric (Fullmetal Alchemist)
Zelda (Hyrule Warriors)

Last edited by Kairi's-Fantasy : 05-27-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Kairi's-Fantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2012, 02:11 PM   #3
SuperBee
Jill of all trades

It was great this year except with the stupid heat.

Friday:
The Pre-reg line was stupid long but that is expected since everyone who wanted the weekend pass had to pre-reg. One thing to note is that there was a lit of security this year, well noticeable security. I like seeing that. Looking around at the dealers room... was a lot of price ranges for the same item, so you needed to do a little bargain shopping.

Saturday:
Really really hot and really really busy. No one really knew who I was cosplaying as but that's ok. First tired running photoshoots and that was... well a learning experience.

Sunday:
More chillax day. Saved some money because dealers were cutting prices. Good stuff.

Overall it was a good weekend

Giant Diglett will return!

Possible Future Cosplays:
-Zapdos Original design (humanoid)
-Unown Original design (humanoid)
-Giant Gastly
-Marika Kato - Pirate Captain
SuperBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2012, 03:24 PM   #4
Altliva

The whole pre-reg system needs an overhaul, especially when you're having everyone pre-reg. They had to cap the line on Thursday pre-pick-up, and on Friday. With everyone HAVING to pre-reg apart from the single-day passes, the whole process needs to be a bit more streamlined, especially given the months ahead of the con in which registration is available. Like, mailing passes out to people, instead of making everyone stand in the ridiculously long line-ups.
✪ Doctor Who - Amy Pond; The Girl Who Waited: ☑ 90% Time to hunt for buttons!
Altliva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2012, 03:42 PM   #5
Grimmjow99

WORK ON A NEW SYSTEM FOR PRE REG CUZ THAT WAS RIDICULOUS WHEN THEY CAPPED IT ON THURSDAY THEN PPL WERE FORCED TO COME TOMORROW AND THEN THEY HAD TO WAIT IN THE SAME LINE AS THOSE PAYING AT THE DOOR.

other then that everything was great Also for some guests that are REALLY popular, the panel should be in a bigger room as well as for the autographs time should be a little more reasonable as like i said some guests are popular and there will be an entire mob trying to get a photo or an autograph. I know that J.Michael Tatum was so popular that they had to cap both the panels and autographs session). other then that Anime north was great gonna be there next year.
Grimmjow99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2012, 04:14 PM   #6
Aeternus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimmjow99 View Post
WORK ON A NEW SYSTEM FOR PRE REG CUZ THAT WAS RIDICULOUS WHEN THEY CAPPED IT ON THURSDAY THEN PPL WERE FORCED TO COME TOMORROW AND THEN THEY HAD TO WAIT IN THE SAME LINE AS THOSE PAYING AT THE DOOR.
Agreed. For the Thursday night pre-reg, the information said it would be until 9pm. I went to line up around 7pm and the line-up was already capped. I was pretty disappointed, especially since I had just driven in from Sudbury. I understand that volunteers/staff need to go home, but I think it's rather unfair to people who came in specifically on Thursday to pick up their badges and were turned away despite making it well within the times specified.

After I got my badge and everything, though, everything seemed to go pretty smoothly. There were lots of volunteers and staff around to help give direction to people, and I can't think of anything else outstanding that was a negative experience for me (except for the stupid heat and humidity, but I suppose AN can't be held responsible for that, lol; at least the thunderstorms held off)

Also, was it just me or was there more space between the dealers in the dealer's room? As in, there was more space for shoppers to walk around in. Yeah, it was the usual crowds and such, but I didn't feel quite so clostrophobic. I also liked how there were a few chairs in the middle to rest for a couple of minutes.

I had a pretty good time at AN, though maybe now that I've been to a few already, I was pretty relaxed and was just having a good time wandering around, seeing a few panels and viewings, and just taking pictures of awesome cosplayers. All around, it was a good AN.

Last edited by Aeternus : 05-27-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Aeternus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2012, 04:14 PM   #7
Kawaii_Omi
Cloaked Schemer [ VI ]

Thrusday:

WTF Pre-reg line?

This was ridiculous. And don't go and tell me that they didn't expect it to be THAT big. If you have to put a cap on it than you better be prepared. Its always better to be over prepared than not to be. I know it wasn't the volunteers fault and they were sympathizing with us but I feel bad for the people who got turned away cause they could've stayed and at least tried. THEY weren't even allowing people to try.

At least if you HAD to cap it AT LEASt know I time for the next day, maybe open up alittle earlier for the people who got turned away. The staff knew nothing as always. There was no communication. Not even online. We checked before we left the hotel to make sure it was still open to 9pm and there was nothing on the twitter or facebook or anything before you got to the spot that SAID there was a cap and they were sorry and we'll help those who paid that money and maybe open alittle earlier on Friday for your inconveience..Nope. So under appreicated.

Friday:

Pre-Registration was ridiculous again. They know how much tickets they sold online so should've expected it again. Its not like the number fell out of the sky. To me, it seemed like they only haad a plan A and not plan B and then to stick them in the same line? AT least on thrusday they had groups and pre-reg separate.

Other than the disorganization of the line rides and having people basically faint of heat stroke the day was good because I didn't have to deal with any staff.

Saturday

Good day. Long day. People need to get their shit together in the Dealers room though. They need to make a rule that bans pictures inside it or weapons because it only hogs up the room while trying to get by and you know how Packed the dealers room gets. Should really leave the pictures to a more pen area where you don't get in others way who are just trying to calmly pass by. And I almost has my eye poked out by a weapon. :/

Dance was okay. Best hour was at the end though I do like how it wasn't Packed, hot and smelt like sweat. Really need to get some new tracks though. This could be because this is my 12th year coming to AN but the songs get repetive sometimes and you don't wan tto listen to them. HOWEVER! YEY to playing Big Bang, T-ara and Shinee. Kudos. Wish I would've heard 2ne1.

Sunday

Meh. Same ol'dealer room crap. End of con. Good day.

Overall aside from the line ride and dealers room I enjoyed AN 2012 and will be awaiting 2013 c: I love the people I met and how respectful they were of my props. Thank you <3

Anime North 2014
Friday: Abbey Bominable (Monster High)
Saturday: Madeline Hatter (Ever After High)
Sunday: Dai Ji (DW7 Alt)

TF Con Canada
Friday:
Saturday: Jazz ( G1)

Niagara Falls Comic Con
Saturday:
Sunday:

Fan Expo
Sunday: Madeline Hatter ( Ever After High)

TF Con US
Friday:
Saturday:

Last edited by Kawaii_Omi : 05-27-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Kawaii_Omi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2012, 07:50 PM   #8
Rainbowgasm
fruity goodness!

Actual Con: the line was reminiscent of FanExpo 2010... that's all that needs to be said... also, the Nominochi needed to be organized better... we had NO room behind our table... the tables being strapped together in rows of 10 was NOT a good idea especially with the little room given... we were told to go in, so our friends put our stuff down for us, then we were told to move all our stuff back outside to 'the line' and got yelled at for not moving fast enough and when we asked for help with our stuff because my one friend selling with me had just had her appendix out and couldn't lift anything...

Hotel: The Radisson... I love the hotel, will book there again if I get in on time... but the fact that they only have 2 ques for checking out, is unacceptable for a hotel that size, this is the 3rd year I've stayed there and this is the first time I had this problem, but I saw it coming... A hotel of that size needs at least 6 if the Holiday Inn can have 6 and only be 4 floors high... The luggage check... don't EVEN get me started... UNACCEPTABLE! They should have been better prepared... they've been catering to AN for HOW many years now? they should expect those crowds... they should expect that people will have more then one bag each... if they don't have enough room, they should MAKE enough room and have the staff on hand to deal with it... also... taking FIFTEEN minutes to check out each person is INSANE, I had 2 rooms and I was out in 5 minutes...
Battler Ushiromiya from Umineko no Naku Koro Ni
Rainbowgasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2012, 08:23 PM   #9
DaleSabers
Film maker & Actor

I would say that I was not impressed with some of the attendees that were approached by my crew and I in the Congress centre. I am namely speaking about those who tried to pick a fight with us when we ask for you to not sit in the middle of the market, stop in the middle of traffic area without moving off to the side to avoid clogging traffic and those who refused to take others into consideration with stopping in the middle of the walk ways.

The majority of those who attended and respected my fellow staff members, I truly tip my hat and the lightsaber I carried at the con to you. I hope you all had a good time.
DaleSabers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #10
rosie44442003
Just call me Rosie

Ok I had a great time BUT:
- the registration line on Friday was rediculus! They need to overhaul the system or at least put more than 10 people on the registration desk!
- I lined up 4 hours early to get good seats for the masqerade when I wanted to watch the 404 show right after the masqerade we were told to leave. That is incredibly unfair how am I supposed to get into the line for the 404 when I'm in the masqerade? They are basically saying if you wish to see the 404 show you must miss the masqerade. A ton of people left after the masqerade there were plenty of seats available I don't see why I should have to give up my hard won seats.
- they should not have booked the skits and nominochi together.
Saturday-Leafa from Sword Art Online
Sunday-More Steampunk
rosie44442003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #11
Kyomi
SO ZETTA SLOW

Dealer's Room: Didn't have the things I was looking for. Cramped and hard to move / see in, as usual. [Clarification edit: By the tables. The centres were wide and had chairs again, which was awesome.]
Nominochi: Couldn't see anything. Too many people.

Pre-reg line: Went in on Thursday, was told by a friend he waited in line for 2 hours. Luckily a friend managed to pick up my pass for me.

Hotel (Holiday Inn): The check-in and check-out lines were looong. The people who worked at the Holiday Inn seemed to see this convention coming since I overheard one of the ladies asking another employee if he was prepared for the weekend. At their peak time I saw there were 3 counters (2 at the actual counter and 1 in an office) open, so that was good.

The hotel layout is completely ridiculous and impractical, though I suppose I can't really rag on that since that's how it was built. Being able to go take a swim was nice, and the fact that we were locked out of the hotel Friday morning in swim-gear and towels was hilarious. Seriously. Hoping everyone was okay from whatever had happened to the air!

PERKINS IS AWESOME; WHY DIDN'T I KNOW TO GO THERE EARLIER. If you go there during the con, please remember to tip the waiters! They're awesome people.

Con: Ran into a lot of old friends and met a lot of new people, that was great, as always. DJ Shimamura was awesome, and loved the fact that there was a stage this time and not just the little patio area. Missed the masquerade and 404s because of swimming (LOL).

Shoutout to the Granado Espada Elementalist (I loved your wings!) and Wizard cosplayers I saw Saturday night.

Ended up only cosplaying one of of 3 days; opted to not bring my 5 ft span wings, and glad I did.

Overall: Cosplayed less. Got to go swimming.
High expectations for next year, hoping now that a cap's been put in place and this year is over with, organization will improve next year.

Last edited by Kyomi : 05-27-2012 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Forgot someething.
Kyomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2012, 08:54 PM   #12
Pasiphilo
Life Imitating Art

I have the same complaint about the badge pick-up and agree that they should have anticipated that pre-registration crowds. I waited longer to get my pre-purchased badge on Friday than I did 2 years ago when I bought my pass at the door. Perhaps having a badge pickup for the entire week before the convention would make it easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeternus View Post
Also, was it just me or was there more space between the dealers in the dealer's room?
It wasn't you. I noticed the same thing. I was able to walk around quite easily, even in my somewhat bulky costume.

Overall, this was my third Anime North and the most enjoyable yet. The Sailor Moon Battle Chess was especially fun to partake in and well run.

I'm looking forward to next year!
Pasiphilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2012, 09:09 PM   #13
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleSabers View Post
I would say that I was not impressed with some of the attendees that were approached by my crew and I in the Congress centre. I am namely speaking about those who tried to pick a fight with us when we ask for you to not sit in the middle of the market, stop in the middle of traffic area without moving off to the side to avoid clogging traffic and those who refused to take others into consideration with stopping in the middle of the walk ways.

The majority of those who attended and respected my fellow staff members, I truly tip my hat and the lightsaber I carried at the con to you. I hope you all had a good time.
I think I ran into you on the Friday, but I was dressed as a dude that day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasiphilo View Post
It wasn't you. I noticed the same thing. I was able to walk around quite easily, even in my somewhat bulky costume.

Overall, this was my third Anime North and the most enjoyable yet. The Sailor Moon Battle Chess was especially fun to partake in and well run.

I'm looking forward to next year!
They added more space to the dealers room. This is why that area with all the extra tables for other cons was moved to a different hall. Smart idea imo. They could have just added more tables. but gave us more room! Tons of room to mosey around on the Sunday.

Anime North Reddit Community
DireKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2012, 09:18 PM   #14
chicken_lover
vi Canad..ia?

My experience with this year's Anime North was pretty great, despite the heat-drowning sun packed weekend.

I wasn't too picky about the pre-registration line, although I do sympathize for those who got cut off the first two days. The line moved at a decent pace. I overheard though that at one point during the convention, a portion of the convention's volunteers/staff walked out to the lines and started exchanging AN forms for passes. I felt like something like this should've been done. 1. You're going to streamline the lineups much faster allowing people to do what they want and 2. You wouldn't have to cut the pass pick-ups from 9PM to 8PM.

Other than that, I didn't really have anything negative to express in regards to how the convention was run.

This was probably the year that trumped others as my most enjoyable though. Met a bunch of new people, received praises and compliments from people, and survived in heels for the first time (among many other things).

Anime North '12
Let's just say... I'm going to wing it.

WIP Cosplays
Flamedramon //Digimon//

| DeviantART Account | Livestream Account |

chicken_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2012, 09:21 PM   #15
Kyomi
SO ZETTA SLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken_lover View Post
This was probably the year that trumped others as my most enjoyable though. Met a bunch of new people, received praises and compliments from people, and survived in heels for the first time (among many other things).
"HOW ARE YOU NOT DYING IN THAT?!"

Still wondering. ;p
Kyomi is offline   Reply With Quote