Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Anime North

Unread 05-28-2012, 11:55 AM   #46
PurpleDuckie
The Most Purple Duck

This is one of my top Anime Norths, really happy with everything this year!

- Grabbing my panel pass was quick and easy Same with grabbing the swag. Thanks staffers!

- Really happy with crowne plaza. Were there issues with them last year? because this year they didn't seem full at all. This was to our benefit: almost no wait at check in, no wait at check out! They were in the spirit at the front desk and wore wigs lol. Extremely polite and great service at the in-hotel restaurant for breakfast.

- Went to the nomi. This was the only thing I found disorganized and would really suggest controlling the amount of people in the room. I was around the end of the line, and when we got in there was already a sea of people in the room - it was near impossible to see what people had on their tables! It was also hard to move around because the aisles were so crowded. Even after we got in, there were still more people being let in and that just increased the crowding more. So my suggestion is to have the entrance and exit visible to the staff who are running the entrance. Let a reasonable amount of people in and if it looks like it is overcrowding, just give a couple minutes for some people to clear out before letting more in. Another option would be to expand the area, or leave it open the same way the to the artist ally/crafters corner is left open. It gives more room for people to see the tables and move around.

- Really liking the space in the dealers room!

- On the topic of garbage cans: YESSSSSS! FINALLY! It really did make a difference and while I wasn't there till the end of the day sunday, I didn't see as much garbage floating around overall during the days! I was thrilled to only have to walk a couple feet to throw out my stuff ;D

- I wasn't in the ticket line but it seemed ridiculous. Geeze I remember when I could show up at 3pm on a friday and buy my weekend pass at the con without any lineup! I know some american cons mail out their passes which would be great to control ticket lines, but I am guessing AN doesn't do this because there are issues (faking passes, people not receiving them, People lying about not receiving them for extras) so perhaps just having more volunteers handling pre-reg tickets, possibly in multiple locations could help cut down on wait time (assuming you guys have enough volunteers to make it work!)

- And lastly, not sure how I feel about about the changing content of the dealers room. Felt very fanexpo because of the variety of dealers. I'm happy because I am a fan of other things and there were a lot of other things (transformers and doctor who and comics!) but at the same time there was a big decrease in the anime stuff and I didn't even see some of the usual anime dealers there which makes it feel less like anime north and more like geek north.
Cosplay Tutorial (Tumblr)

Cosplay Plans:
Frostcon: Porygon Z
Anime North: Luna from VLR
Atomic Lollipop: Yellow or Malshina from Akibaranger

Last edited by PurpleDuckie : 05-28-2012 at 01:26 PM.
PurpleDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-28-2012, 11:57 AM   #47
ChessiaTrick

The only issues I had was that my friend has a really bad ankle and the con staff refused to let him take the elevator up to the top floor for the kareoke contest. Yeeeah Staff were kind of assholes this weekend. Still not as bad as Ohayocon though...
ChessiaTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 12:26 PM   #48
Dart:Dense Boy
Horses+Cosplay=Poor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani_BEE View Post
People are entitled idiots and sadly this is isn't AN fault (same shit happens at most cons but it sucks when it's your first time). It why I do like FanExpo because the maturely level is a little higher as the population is a lot more older but less cosplayers for it, but it doesn't mean that Hobby Star has done everything right. AN is still my favorite but there are reason why I still go back to FanExpo.
Oh I know it's not AN's fault - trust me :P and I know it happens, I was just so shocked at their reaction when they were caught. If it had been a "my friend is feeling faint and she was going to pass out due to sun" - that's at least understandable than the we can sit on cars if we want to attitude.

*Never judge anyone until you've walked a mile in their cosplay shoes :P* Those things are painful!
Dart:Dense Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 12:28 PM   #49
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Yeah, my only AN complaint concerns the ridonkulous preregistration lines. I get that it'll be a long wait with15,000 people coming. But in THAT kind of heat, they should have seriously provided some water or shade for the hundreds of people wrapped four times around the sun soaked parking lot. It took me over two hours and by the end I was soaked in sweat and my back and feet were killing me. Hell, I barely even got my badge in time to not be late for setting up at Nominoichi. And my boyfriend had it even worse because he decided halfway through to go get our umbrella for shade; by the time he got back I'd gotten to the inside queues and he had to wait ANOTHER two and a half hours to get his badge. So his entire Friday was spent baking in a pre-reg line.

This was also my first year (and only for a long time now, since I sold everything!) at Nominoichi, and the only complaint I have with it is that they should have better marked out tables and the half tables. I had two half-tables beside mine, and they had so much on theirs that they pretty well took half of MY half table up as well (seriously. If you have THAT much shit to sell, get a full table)

Otherwise, aside from the crowds in the TCC, things were great (I agree, they need to make some kind of rule against large cosplays/props or photo taking in the Dealer's Room). I'm also very pleased that they put out a bunch more garbage bins this year so that the garbage was WAY less terrible.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c

Last edited by ShinobiXikyu : 05-28-2012 at 12:32 PM.
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 12:41 PM   #50
Rainbowgasm
fruity goodness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
Yeah, my only AN complaint concerns the ridonkulous preregistration lines. I get that it'll be a long wait with15,000 people coming. But in THAT kind of heat, they should have seriously provided some water or shade for the hundreds of people wrapped four times around the sun soaked parking lot. It took me over two hours and by the end I was soaked in sweat and my back and feet were killing me. Hell, I barely even got my badge in time to not be late for setting up at Nominoichi. And my boyfriend had it even worse because he decided halfway through to go get our umbrella for shade; by the time he got back I'd gotten to the inside queues and he had to wait ANOTHER two and a half hours to get his badge. So his entire Friday was spent baking in a pre-reg line.

This was also my first year (and only for a long time now, since I sold everything!) at Nominoichi, and the only complaint I have with it is that they should have better marked out tables and the half tables. I had two half-tables beside mine, and they had so much on theirs that they pretty well took half of MY half table up as well (seriously. If you have THAT much shit to sell, get a full table)

Otherwise, aside from the crowds in the TCC, things were great (I agree, they need to make some kind of rule against large cosplays/props or photo taking in the Dealer's Room). I'm also very pleased that they put out a bunch more garbage bins this year so that the garbage was WAY less terrible.
when we were waiting in line around 12:30-1, they were selling water bottles and juice for $2 a bottle... its actually not that bad a price when you consider they could have sold them for $5 since people really were desperate enough... $2 is a great price for ice cold water on a day where its 30+ with humidity... at FanExpo its $2.50-$4 for a semi-cool bottle of water...
Battler Ushiromiya from Umineko no Naku Koro Ni
Rainbowgasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 12:58 PM   #51
MelMuff
Hopeless Romantic

It was my third time attending Anime North. I went previously in 2008 and 2010. I can only afford to go every 2 years. Even though I did enjoy alot of what AN had to offer, it was also my worst experience ever at an Anime convention. I feel that AN has grown too big for my liking. That's why Otakuthon on Montreal is my fav. It has just right amount of people and isn't overcrowded but I do fear that it may become as big as AN in a few years. My main complaint with AN is the line for pre-registration. When I went 2 years ago, the line was long but went very fast. It took me 30 mins or less to get my badge back then. This time it took me over 2 hours to get my badge. I had to stand in the sun and had nowhere to sit. I now know to bring a chair next time and the heat was so unbearable. I desparately needed water but didn't have anyone with me to go get me some so I had to suffer. I never want to suffer like that again so I doubt that I will be attending AN in the future. I also had to missed 2 of my fav panels because of the long wait in line. And because I had other stuff planned for Saturday, which was my fault, I had to missed more panels and never got to attend a single one except for the Fan Fiction contest on Sunday. One of a convention highlights are the panels I like to attend and it's sad for me that I only had time for one. At least though I got to participate in the Sailor Moon cosplay chess and got lots of goodies from Artist Alley and the Dealer's Room but sadly I didn't have enough money to buy everything I wanted. I got to see the 404s again and in record amount. I had no idea there was that many of them. Their show before the closing ceremonies was hilarious. I loved it. I also got to be in an Avatar photo shoot and saw a Sailor Moon and ReBoot photo shoot. There was more photo shoots that I wanted to see but sadly not enough time.

So despite making more good memories, I just feel AN is too big. For now, I plan not to come back but I will reconsider again in 2 years.

~*~ AC Cubed 2007 ~*~

Kikyo (InuYasha)

Last edited by MelMuff : 05-28-2012 at 01:00 PM.
MelMuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 01:07 PM   #52
Gawl

I heard from a friend that they capped the pre reg line on thursday.. but yeah they reopened it after i know me and my friend went there at like 8:30 ish and there was no one in line, we practically just walked up to the desk and got our badges. I think one of the problems with the pre reg was, for those who ordered group passess they still opted to pick them up individually.. Personally i would make it have only the group leader pick up all the badges at once to make the lines smaller.
Now for my Pros and Cons
Pros: -Spacious dealer room, i know it was packed but it was mostly alright
-Some of the restaurants like orchid cafe and Sushi dragon making special menus
just for the con people to speed up the food process was awesome
-Practically no lineup to get into the TCC if you already had your badge, you just
pretty much just walk in. One thing i did not quite understand is.. once u got inside the TCC after showing them the badge... why did they bother checking the badge for everything in the TCC? after they checked it at the entrance?

Cons: When i was leaving jack astors after the 25+ meetup i was walking back to the DT just before the bridge there was a few people walking in front of me on the sidewalk... Some random idiot jumped out of the trees to scare the people on the sidewalk... I literally almost saw one person jump off the sidewalk into the path of an oncoming car... luckily they kept their balance right on the edge of sidewalk.. if they lost it they would have gotten hit by the car.... i really wanted to punch the ass that scared them but he ran away like a coward
-The ice cap machine was broken friday night at tim hortons /tear.
-Was way too hot, but at least it wasnt raining.
-I never found a con Girlfriend /tear...
Irvine Kinneas FF8
Gawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 01:14 PM   #53
Miliyah

oh god, never knew line issues were that bad o__o my friend got to the con early on friday and picked them all up for us and gave them to us when we checked into the hotel o.o

the fact that the TCC provided the option of buying food from their food services was pretty cool. AN should definately keep that service available for future years. less flooding in the local resturants nearby and more convientient for everyone really..

the first thing i said when i walked into the dealers room: "SPAAAACCCCEEEEEEEE". hope it stays like that in future years. I did find the artist alley and crafts corner a bit cramped though. just a bit xD not sure if it was because attendees were chatting with the people behind those tables (if so, then im guilty as charged because i needed to see/talk/give cupcakes and cookies to a few friends).

one thing. although i was lost looking for a specific table at the nomi, i was grateful there was at least a desk where i could ask someone who had the map of table numbers on him. unfortunately this wasnt the same in the artist alley ;__; spent a long time trying to find a friend of mine.

also, on topic of the nom.. i know i probably shouldnt have been so surprised, but the nom was CROWDED. wtf. i went in there at 9:30 just hoping my cold symptoms wouldnt get the better of me D: i was shivering/sweating the whole time in there because of the mass of people. oh and coughing. plenty of coughing o__o;;

and maybe something for fashion show staff to keep note of.. some of the models didnt know where the green room was.

oh and the skit content was a bit dull at some points due to the lack of content in a few of the skits, in addition to the quality of the audio the contestants sent in. however i do understand that the skit contest is a venue in which individuals can show off their costume (regardless of whether or not they've made it themselves or commissioned it, etc).

Last edited by Miliyah : 05-28-2012 at 01:30 PM.
Miliyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 01:21 PM   #54
TronBonne

I think the line was unacceptable on Friday. Standing in a long line is expected, but at one point they stopped the line from moving for about 20 (?) minutes to rearrange the line set-up inside of the TCC or something? I think thatís ridiculous. They knew how many people were coming, are you telling me they didnít think of the best way to handle the traffic beforehand?? -_- Iím sorry if I misunderstood that specific situation, or what goes into planning lines, so perhaps my complaint is stupid, but I think they need to improve the pre-registration process, and from this thread, MANY other people agree. Hopefully AN will listen and do something about it.

Recycling bins/garbage cans! Great to finally see these around the con!

I really liked how the dealers room felt more spacious. While busy, I never felt trapped like I have in previous years. I was even able to find wide spots where I could just stand to the side and take a break from the crowd.

As usual the video programming was interesting, but I wish there was someway to set the rooms up better. Whenever there is a show with subtitles, you canít really see them unless youíre tall, or near the front, since the subs are at the bottom of the screen and blocked by heads. This is why I prefer it when they choose to play the dub, but sometimes that's not an option/impossible.

Overall this AN was great. It had a really rocky start with the pre-reg line, the heat made it worse, but I canít find anything else to complain about.
TronBonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 02:22 PM   #55
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

Over all Anime north was GREAT!

The trash bins were AWESOME! I never had to hold on to garage the whole weekend.

A lot of interesting panels and workshops were offered...so many I had to miss many I wanted to go to because they conflicted with something else.

My plushie workshop had a great turn out (PM me anyone who wanted to get in but couldn't due to it being capped to 50 ppl, I can send the pattern to you). Only downer was who ever did the pattern drafting panel jacked the scissors we needed..that was a bit of a hiccup).

The Thursday line up for panelist took over an hour due to some program issue. It wasn't a bad wait though, I just conversed with the others in line. It did cost me $6 in parking fees...next year I'll park at the con centre and walk over.

One thing though..and Call me a jerk but I think the skit contest needs to be pre-screened next year. Just because you're given 5 minutes doesn't mean you need to use up all that time.

I'm going to call a spade a spade. The Video game nerd entry...just WTF? What was the need to play the whole theme song only to walk back and forth across the stage?
Unread 05-28-2012, 02:34 PM   #56
Chibik3r0
Pants Pants Revolution

I was lucky to be notified of the pre-reg cap Thursday night JUST before I left work to stop by. I'm glad I didn't waste the gas or time to drive out there and back home... I just wish they were better prepared given they capped the line and then uncapped it later after people had already left. I know several people who were inconvenienced by this.

Given the growth of the con, the lines can only be expected to grow. I personally waited 90 minutes on Friday to get my badge which wasn't horrible. I've waited 3+ hours at cons before to get my badge so 90 minutes before the con has officially started wasn't a huge inconvenience at all.

The extra garbage bins were a nice touch but it was still fairly messy once the crowds had cleared on Sunday.

I didn't consider it, but someone else's comment on the Otakubaloo space being a hindrance to people trying to get to the TCC entrance is a valid point to be raised. I was happy to see the Otakubaloo space dramatically increased over the small, fenced area it had the past couple of years but something needs to be done to manage the crowd control better.

The nominoichi was a success for me personally but it definitely seemed VERY confined in terms of space to browse and again, crowd control. Maybe limiting the number of people who can enter at any given time would help? Every one who I spoke with either selling or buying were all very friendly so it was a great experience overall

Nothing really bugged me about Anime North this year. They're all really gripes that will happen as the con continues to grow in size without the space to accommodate more attendees. I'd like to think this year was a success but everyone's experience will differ.

Anime North :: Colossal Con :: SDCC
Chibik3r0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 02:41 PM   #57
Miliyah

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokulen22 View Post
One thing though..and Call me a jerk but I think the skit contest needs to be pre-screened next year. Just because you're given 5 minutes doesn't mean you need to use up all that time.
lol that was painful to sit through. it seemed so promising at first after the entry intro too but in the end my friend only counted the word rutabaga being said like.. twice ._. we were really close to walking out actually o__o;;
Unread 05-28-2012, 03:09 PM   #58
rosie44442003
Just call me Rosie

There's got to be a better way to handle the masqerade line. Maybe reserve seating. Just write the seats on the wrist bands or something then people h
Who wish to sit together just have to get there wrist bands together. Front seats go first. Left side of room Friday right side Saturday. Then no line and no wasted time.
Saturday-Leafa from Sword Art Online
Sunday-More Steampunk
rosie44442003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 03:25 PM   #59
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie44442003 View Post
There's got to be a better way to handle the masqerade line. Maybe reserve seating. Just write the seats on the wrist bands or something then people h
Who wish to sit together just have to get there wrist bands together. Front seats go first. Left side of room Friday right side Saturday. Then no line and no wasted time.
Maybe they could give wrist bands by colour. Red is first row, and so on. If people don't show up then those with other colours can move up and the back seats can fill with those who didn't get a wrist band?

Anime North Reddit Community
DireKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 03:27 PM   #60
ImASleazoid

For 2012, I think I enjoyed this year more so then last year.
The Pros

Friday

I didn't have to suffer any line ups or anything, I was getting a panelist badge, so I didn't have to wait x3
I had my first panel to run that evening. Went well. I didn't do much, I pretty much just hung out with friends, then went to sleep early cuz I had to wake up early the next day.

Saturday

I ran the Host Club. Had a couple of hickups in the beginning but everything smoothed out and the rest went smoothly 8) I think it did well and everyone there looked like they were having a great time!
After that, went to Swiss Chalet and they were 30min food delay they told us, however they managed to get our food in like 20min! I was pretty impressed with how Swiss Chalet was running things there (Even though they ran out of alcohol that wasn't beer or wine related xP).
My next panel went well, full room ^^
Then I went to the Adapter/Marlee/Lix concert, all 3 were amazing. As usual, Jrock North has a nack for bringing great musicians! Especially Marlee, I've known about them for soooo long and had chatted it up with MJ and Sen on Facebook all the time for the past 2 years. They recognized me right away and then I said my name it was like meeting old friends ^^ even though we had never met in real life. I love Marlee <3
After that, I chilled and again, went to sleep. I really wanted sleep this year xD

Sunday

I had 2 panels, went well, both were full ^^! Kpop rules 8D

Cons/Suggestions

- Aigoooo Radisson Suites, I love the hotel, but daaaang, it was HOT in that hotel. In the Lobby, in the Radisson room, homg the heat was bad. A/C, they needed more power to it or something.

- Yes, taking photo's of cosplayers should be done where there is NO traffic flow. I was a good 10min late to my panel trying to weave in and out through the mass clumpings in the Double Tree...

- I smelt weed...

- For panelists needing A/V in Ottawa room, I think things should be better set-up. If they say we're going to have a laptop to use, it should have the most updated software on it... How long did it take to try and get videos running on it. I should have brought my netbook instead xP Like internet was available, but the laptop didn't have adobe flashplayer on it! So I downloaded it so we could run Youtube, I used Youtube instead of my hard drive that I had brought because the laptop wasn't powerful enough to run the videos... and it was nothing wrong with my videos I downloaded because I can play those videos on my parents laptops no problem! I used my own internet by tethering my cellphone to the laptop because it was faster than the hotels internet @_@;; And the 2 tables in the Ottawa room, it was difficult to get set up... one table is enough! Or a smaller 2nd table or somethin.

Overall, great time :P Even though I was dying from the heat lol
ImASleazoid is offline   Reply With Quote