Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Other Costumes

Unread 01-30-2004, 02:28 AM   #1
Kira_Yamato
GET OUT OF HERE STALKER

A very different Cosplay from what's common around here.

I've decided on an unusual cosplay, at least compared to what's common on Cosplay.com. While most costumes come from Anime, video games, or fantasy/SF, I've decided to do a much more realistic SF costume. That would be a member of the SG-1 team, from Stargate SG-1. I have a few problems, though:

1. What con would be appropriate for such a cosplay? SD Comic Con, maybe?

2. Related to the first, the weapon (FN P90 SMG) is a major component of the costume. It will have to be an airsoft. What must be done to the gun to make it allowable as a prop? Would removing the battery and spring be sufficient?

3. Has anyone done an SG-1 cosplay, or something similar (a special forces, military, or counterterrorism cosplay)? How did you end up making everything work out?

This costume really appeals to me, because I love the series, plus, it will serve the secondary purpose of giving me a good set of gear for use during airsoft games. So, will it be possible?
Kira_Yamato is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-30-2004, 04:04 AM   #2
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

Somebody at Toronto Trek last year did a Stargate SG-1 costume IIRC...I don't watch the show so I don't remember specifics. Generic sci-fi conventions, SD Comicon, Dragoncon, and such like would probably be good venues. Basically go where the Trek and Star Wars costumers go. ^_^ There are always some TV series costumes around at those kinds of events, like costumes from Farscape, Lexx, Firefly, Buffy etc.

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

www.costumecon32.com

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2004, 04:13 AM   #3
allyunion

SD Comic Con's would be the closest mix to an Anime and Sci-Fi con, in my opinion.
Lewis Black: "There is no such thing as bad language. I don't believe that anymore. It's ridiculous. They call it a debasing of the language. No! We are adults. These are the words we use... to express: frustration, rage, and anger... in order that we don't pick up a tire and beat the s**t out of someone."

Japanese Animation and Cosplay Society
allyunion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2004, 06:54 AM   #4
kel
Lurker Extraordinaire

GenCon is probably also a good place. It's technically a gaming convention, but tends to spill over into a lot of the related areas. Costumes, in particular, were rarely related directly to specific games. One year they even had "theme" days for costumes (e.g. Fantasy Friday, Sci-fi Saturday etc.).
Unread 01-30-2004, 07:26 AM   #5
kylash327
PlasticGeek.com

SG-1 cosplay is not uncommon, lol. Neither is Scifi Cosplay, even around here. Check out http://rpf.prop-planet.com , lotsa SG-1 people there.

Last edited by kylash327 : 01-30-2004 at 07:30 AM.
kylash327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2004, 07:58 AM   #6
KuroBara
dog of the military

I-CON is an anime / sci-fi / fantasy con. Last year there were a few SG-1 guests including the actor who plays the general (Don S. Davis), and one of the villains (can't remember names >_<).

The weapon policy varies from con to con, e-mail them ahead of time to ask. Be very very careful if you're staying outside of a con hotel, you could be stopped walking around the streets with a realistic looking gun. In Virginia the police would be allowed to shoot you, no questions asked.

Really, it's your costume, so if you want to wear it to anime cons go ahead. People wear Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars and comic book costumes to anime cons all the time. Just don't expect everyone at Otakon to say "Whoa! SG-!! Can I have your picture?"

Stueypark does military reenactments, he may know where you can get some supplies.
Unread 01-30-2004, 08:04 AM   #7
Ragresen
Dazed and Confused

I am more then willing to bet you may have some good luck on finding some answers here for a lot of the questions at the following link. They are an official club for SG1 and I know there is a group that does costumeing as well. At Dragon Con SG team members are common sight aslmost as common as 501st members (starwars Imperial Costumeing club www.501st.com). But anyways here is the link for you.

http://www.lightspeedfineart.com/stargate.html#fanclub

The Kozi Cosplayer!
Ragresen is offline   Reply With Quote