Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Anime North

Closed Thread
Unread 05-28-2012, 08:43 PM   #16
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by section8 View Post
The Naruto and Avatar photoshoots at the old TCC1 were great. Lots of space to spread out. Maybe reserve it for the largest shoots, where being out of the way is a good thing.
Would you keep the new TCC 01?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miliyah View Post
ttc6 would definitely be fine for smaller shoots.
sides, theres a building and a tree for some change in photographic scenery LOL
My main reason for tossing it was the lack of use. If people aren't using it I don't think its a very viable location. I personally liked it as it is a mirror to TCC 2 but a bit less crowded and has more room.

Anime North Reddit Community

Unread 05-28-2012, 11:08 PM   #17
MaiSheri
Eternal Procrastinator

I only attended one photo shoot which was scheduled for TCC1 - which looked like it had a very nice treed bgd considering how few options there are in the area... but that's not actually where the group met and shot - instead we were in front of the little wall/gate area on the other side of the driveway. If the group had started to gather at the "right" spot though, nobody would have seen us if they weren't looking for it.

So... I guess TCC1 as it was this year is almost certainly better for private shoots, but if you want to gather attention/random passers-by, it's too out of the way.
Unread 05-29-2012, 07:01 AM   #18
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
I only attended one photo shoot which was scheduled for TCC1 - which looked like it had a very nice treed bgd considering how few options there are in the area... but that's not actually where the group met and shot - instead we were in front of the little wall/gate area on the other side of the driveway. If the group had started to gather at the "right" spot though, nobody would have seen us if they weren't looking for it.

So... I guess TCC1 as it was this year is almost certainly better for private shoots, but if you want to gather attention/random passers-by, it's too out of the way.
That's my thinking as well.

Unread 05-31-2012, 12:15 PM   #19
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

The back of the Sheridan makes for a nice area for smaller groups as well. I know that it might not be an official groups spot as it's really out of the way but at it could be an option.

Unplugged Expo
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North (Nehelenia)
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
Unread 05-31-2012, 12:19 PM   #20
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani_BEE View Post
The back of the Sheridan makes for a nice area for smaller groups as well. I know that it might not be an official groups spot as it's really out of the way but at it could be an option.
I had a map with that spot on it but no one booked a spot there. I think it being just so out of the way is a big negative. GREAT for private shoots though. Maybe if i get a spot on the website i can list areas that are good for private shoots?

Unread 05-31-2012, 12:42 PM   #21
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

Totally private shoot locations would be great to book as well especial for lesser know series (ala Yami No Matsuei). It's also great to advertise as photographer might show an interest to coming as well and being outside they won't compete for lighting.

Unplugged Expo
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North (Nehelenia)
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
Unread 05-31-2012, 03:47 PM   #22
touchmon
Make All The Things!

I was at a photoshoot at TCC3 and 4. TCC3 was a good spot as there wasn't that many people around. TCC4 might be a problem though. Although the spot itself was nice, the Atlus group was pretty big and we took up a lot of space. Like you said, traffic, I think is the main issue.

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

Unread 05-31-2012, 04:45 PM   #23
Lightning Baron
School of Puzzle Fighter

TCC 6 worked out really well. The shoots i ran were small, but people would walk buy and then stop to take shots. I deliberately pick that spot cause it was a good mix of Green and non green space.

http://lightning--baron.deviantart.com/
Unread 05-31-2012, 09:42 PM   #24
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Also since the League of Legends photoshoot decided to move Saturday I'm going to actively restrict where certain photoshoots can meet. Aka if I expect your group to get a huge number i'm going to block off locations that are not as well suited for that number of people.
Linking to this i'll take the numbers and figure out which locations are good for large, medium, small numbers. This likely shouldn't have to happen as most people can get a good idea of how popular the series is. Plus league should always have tall grass.

I don;t like the idea of a group booking for the sake of getting a spot at a prime time, and then taking off to another spot that better fits their needs. This also ties into why we can't have 2 shoots at one spot... some of these shoots get very very big!

Unread 06-01-2012, 09:25 AM   #25
Random-EX
DOUBLE SUN POWER!

I had a shoot in TCC01, but I wouldn't say it's the best for large shoots. Sure there is enough room for group photos and whatnot, the problem was there wasn't enough room for the people snapping photos :c We had more photographers show up than we did cosplayers, so when it came time for snapping photos we were literally all clustered around and in front of each other, making photos difficult. Perhaps TCC01 could be better used for small and medium sized groups, those of which can handle small numbers of cosplayers and photographers alike.

I'd like to also point out, I was in charge of a shoot but before I had arrived at the location the group had decided on it's own to move the shoot to the other side of the driveway since they didn't like the space due to too much shade in the area. Needless to say I wasn't impressed that people were taking the initiative to call the shots when they weren't even the host of the shoot. Is there something we can do in the future to prevent this? Like similar to how the panelists sign up so we know who's in charge and who isn't?
Unread 06-01-2012, 09:36 AM   #26
SuperBee
Jill of all trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireKitty View Post
Also since the League of Legends photoshoot decided to move Saturday I'm going to actively restrict where certain photoshoots can meet. Aka if I expect your group to get a huge number i'm going to block off locations that are not as well suited for that number of people.
Linking to this i'll take the numbers and figure out which locations are good for large, medium, small numbers. This likely shouldn't have to happen as most people can get a good idea of how popular the series is. Plus league should always have tall grass.
I like this idea, but isn't that going to be hard to predict how large a group is? I guess you can get a vague idea here and there will always be the large ones (FF, KH, etc).

Also I like how you had that little panel at the back of the booklet... I didn't notice it until Sunday because I didn't bother to look at it on Friday when I got it (I mean it was in a bag and I was more focused on getting out of there!) Maybe if it is possible to have it's own sheet that way it is more noticeable on it's own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random-EX View Post
I'd like to also point out, I was in charge of a shoot but before I had arrived at the location the group had decided on it's own to move the shoot to the other side of the driveway since they didn't like the space due to too much shade in the area. Needless to say I wasn't impressed that people were taking the initiative to call the shots when they weren't even the host of the shoot. Is there something we can do in the future to prevent this? Like similar to how the panelists sign up so we know who's in charge and who isn't?
I think this is a common problem. I had this problem too because someone was "more qualified" than I was. That was the reasoning. I think it's better to have more than one person running the photoshoot. The badge is an interesting idea as then you can physically find the leader and ask questions and get more information if need be. I had a lot asking were the FF shoot was on Saturday, and I was glad I could answer hehe.

Giant Diglett will return!

Possible Future Cosplays:
-Zapdos Original design (humanoid)
-Unown Original design (humanoid)
-Giant Gastly
-Marika Kato - Pirate Captain
Unread 06-01-2012, 10:06 AM   #27
Random-EX
DOUBLE SUN POWER!

Quote:
I think this is a common problem. I had this problem too because someone was "more qualified" than I was. That was the reasoning. I think it's better to have more than one person running the photoshoot. The badge is an interesting idea as then you can physically find the leader and ask questions and get more information if need be. I had a lot asking were the FF shoot was on Saturday, and I was glad I could answer hehe.
Agreed! At least two or three people to host small to medium shoots, maybe four for larger groups? When you're one person hosting a large shoot, it's overwhelming. With more hosts you can have the shoot controlled, along with if one of those hosts suddenly not showing up you're still covered with a backup.
Unread 06-01-2012, 10:16 AM   #28
sweet_kat22
Graphic Designer

I think TCC5 worked out well, Reboot pics turned out good in that location the building behind worked as a good background (as did the bushes)

Atomic Lollipop
Unsure of costume plans

Fan Expo
Harley Quinn (maybe with a Joker)
Unread 06-01-2012, 03:51 PM   #29
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBee View Post
I like this idea, but isn't that going to be hard to predict how large a group is? I guess you can get a vague idea here and there will always be the large ones (FF, KH, etc).

Also I like how you had that little panel at the back of the booklet... I didn't notice it until Sunday because I didn't bother to look at it on Friday when I got it (I mean it was in a bag and I was more focused on getting out of there!) Maybe if it is possible to have it's own sheet that way it is more noticeable on it's own?

Yeah it will be more of a guess. In most cases I don't think we will have an issue. It's just for cases where someone wants to stick a huge group in a spot that can't handle it.

Since paper/cost is an issue, the back of the pocket program book will likely be our home next year too. It took a lot of effort to get us upgraded from compass status (I didn't even see the compass this year so good thing) to actually in the book. The number one request from last year was to be put into the program book...

I agree it's better to have more then one person for most shoots (unless yours is very small). Final Fantasy runs this way every year and the flipside Eyeshield group was a cosplay team so they all know whats going on ahead of time. I am not sure about trying to actively enforce having a team of two for the shoots however. I have been trying not to dip too heavily into restrictions although I understand how over-whelming it can be.
Thoughts?

As for the panel type deal I hear you on this one. I brought it up last year and the big stumbling block was accountability. With panels you have 3 other people that sign the sheet saying "Yeah, X was here". With photoshoots we don't have that. If we did run shoots with a bunch of leaders that would be a good step and maybe we could run with that. You'd get a panel badge and maybe the cosplay tag and you would get credit for running the shoot when you hand in your sheet. The thing is I would be hard pressed to suddenly run it like panels where people randomly email wanting to run X and sticking them together. I would likely want a more holistic approach of a group coming to me.... which at the same time could leave people out who don't have a few others to help out. This also would be a detrimental impact to smaller series.
Thoughts?

Quote:
I had a shoot in TCC01, but I wouldn't say it's the best for large shoots. Sure there is enough room for group photos and whatnot, the problem was there wasn't enough room for the people snapping photos :c We had more photographers show up than we did cosplayers, so when it came time for snapping photos we were literally all clustered around and in front of each other, making photos difficult. Perhaps TCC01 could be better used for small and medium sized groups, those of which can handle small numbers of cosplayers and photographers alike.

I'll note TCC 1 as a space best suited for medium and smaller groups.
Also, shade is nice. Real photogs love them some shade. That's partly what enamored me to the space.

See above for some ideas on badges and authority.

Quote:
Agreed! At least two or three people to host small to medium shoots, maybe four for larger groups? When you're one person hosting a large shoot, it's overwhelming. With more hosts you can have the shoot controlled, along with if one of those hosts suddenly not showing up you're still covered with a backup.
See above for badges and authority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_kat22 View Post
I think TCC5 worked out well, Reboot pics turned out good in that location the building behind worked as a good background (as did the bushes)
Perhaps I'll put it back in there. My only concern was that it was under used and was rather close to TCC 4 - which medium sized groups at both locations it would be crowded.

Thoughts?

Unread 06-01-2012, 06:17 PM   #30
Miliyah

maybe its just me.. but i do agree with the holistic approach but i dont think the photoshoot organizer(s) should be given any volunteer hours for this given the circumstances you've just stated.

if it stops people from organizing, i'd honestly be surprised.