Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Anime North

Closed Thread
Unread 06-01-2012, 06:25 PM   #31
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miliyah View Post
maybe its just me.. but i do agree with the holistic approach but i dont think the photoshoot organizer(s) should be given any volunteer hours for this given the circumstances you've just stated.

if it stops people from organizing, i'd honestly be surprised.
I don't think it would stop people from organizing. I mean in a perfect world yeah credit is super nice, but without accountability you are gonna have people setting up a bunch of shoots and just getting their friend to sign up too and sign sheets. ;_;

I think I may just have a suggestion of having X number of people to run a shoot. Perhaps more people will come out of the woodwork knowing they won't be the only one to run it.

Anime North Reddit Community

Unread 06-01-2012, 08:07 PM   #32
SuperBee
Jill of all trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireKitty View Post

Since paper/cost is an issue, the back of the pocket program book will likely be our home next year too. It took a lot of effort to get us upgraded from compass status (I didn't even see the compass this year so good thing) to actually in the book. The number one request from last year was to be put into the program book...
Well was just an idea. Having a spot for it is better than not at all

Quote:
I agree it's better to have more then one person for most shoots (unless yours is very small). Final Fantasy runs this way every year and the flipside Eyeshield group was a cosplay team so they all know whats going on ahead of time. I am not sure about trying to actively enforce having a team of two for the shoots however. I have been trying not to dip too heavily into restrictions although I understand how over-whelming it can be.
Thoughts?
True. I don't know if that kind of restriction is the answer because people are going to do what people are going to do. Ideally it would be fantastic to have more than one person running.

Quote:
As for the panel type deal I hear you on this one. I brought it up last year and the big stumbling block was accountability. With panels you have 3 other people that sign the sheet saying "Yeah, X was here". With photoshoots we don't have that. If we did run shoots with a bunch of leaders that would be a good step and maybe we could run with that. You'd get a panel badge and maybe the cosplay tag and you would get credit for running the shoot when you hand in your sheet. The thing is I would be hard pressed to suddenly run it like panels where people randomly email wanting to run X and sticking them together. I would likely want a more holistic approach of a group coming to me.... which at the same time could leave people out who don't have a few others to help out. This also would be a detrimental impact to smaller series.
Thoughts?
I see what you are saying. Perhaps you could double that with some of your data on photoshoots as in the leader(s) have to report with how many (approx.) cosplayers were there, etc? Here's a question, since all the photoshoot talk is on here, is this the "official" forums for that - if that is the case, as we do already, have people set up who leads what, grabs a group to lead, send off info about the photoshoot and we are set?

Giant Diglett will return!

Possible Future Cosplays:
-Zapdos Original design (humanoid)
-Unown Original design (humanoid)
-Giant Gastly
-Marika Kato - Pirate Captain
Unread 06-01-2012, 09:06 PM   #33
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBee View Post
I see what you are saying. Perhaps you could double that with some of your data on photoshoots as in the leader(s) have to report with how many (approx.) cosplayers were there, etc? Here's a question, since all the photoshoot talk is on here, is this the "official" forums for that - if that is the case, as we do already, have people set up who leads what, grabs a group to lead, send off info about the photoshoot and we are set?
Yeah I have a ton of data here. I have a thread about Friday. Slowly making my way through Saturdays data. A lot of data I got is garbage sadly.... making things take much longer. But I can use that data for next year!

There is no official spot for anything photoshoot related really. I post the instructions here, on the teahouse and on Facebook. The most active spots are here and Facebook - but Facebook groups can't pin posts so shit gets buried fast(sucks!). I'm also hoping to have a spot on the website with all the rules and stuff as well.

But yeah, next year will run like this year did likely. I'll throw up a thread and people can email me. Cosplay.com usually fills up most of the spots as the teahouse is seldom used.

... i should add that to the list of things next year, get people to say were they are coming from.

Unread 06-01-2012, 09:13 PM   #34
kawaiilove
I hate homestuck

The photo shoot locations should be better. In the shoots that I took pictures of some of the shoots and the backgrounds are AWFUL! There are cars and people in the background just awful. And there should be a legit Photographer taking care of the locations so they know what photographers are going through with the backgrounds of the photo shoots.

Just a thought.

Unread 06-02-2012, 07:59 AM   #35
SuperBee
Jill of all trades

Quote:
Yeah I have a ton of data here. I have a thread about Friday. Slowly making my way through Saturdays data. A lot of data I got is garbage sadly.... making things take much longer. But I can use that data for next year!

There is no official spot for anything photoshoot related really. I post the instructions here, on the teahouse and on Facebook. The most active spots are here and Facebook - but Facebook groups can't pin posts so shit gets buried fast(sucks!). I'm also hoping to have a spot on the website with all the rules and stuff as well.

But yeah, next year will run like this year did likely. I'll throw up a thread and people can email me. Cosplay.com usually fills up most of the spots as the teahouse is seldom used.

... i should add that to the list of things next year, get people to say were they are coming from.
Well I guess more reliable data. Less work for you. That would also be helpful to have your own section on the website, that's where I get more of my information and hopefully less photoshoot chaos.

Is there a better way to contact you rather than email? Such as one space on the board where all that goes rather than scan your inbox? I don't know just suggesting ways to make your life easier.

-Giant Gastly

Last edited by SuperBee : 06-02-2012 at 08:05 AM.
Unread 06-02-2012, 08:45 AM   #36
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Well I guess more reliable data. Less work for you. That would also be helpful to have your own section on the website, that's where I get more of my information and hopefully less photoshoot chaos.

Is there a better way to contact you rather than email? Such as one space on the board where all that goes rather than scan your inbox? I don't know just suggesting ways to make your life easier.
For 2011 i requested data from the photoshoot leaders. I got 20/51 reporting... so it wasn't very reliable data either. Thats the main issue with stats like these. Luckily for the data i do have a few people were more reliable so i'm just weighting their info more heavily. Then there are cases like MLP where a large group showed up late, so we have a spike(tee hee) in numbers. Or when that giant blue dragon came by, suddenly bystanders increased ten-fold.

Honestly email is the best way, especially for requesting spots. 2011 was really hard on me for keeping everyones information straight. Changing times etc and different people making comments on the same photoshoot.... a mess! Using a PM box is pure hell, so is a forum. With email i just delete their old information and can star things that i'll have to check into later. My only hiccup this year was people not following the format of having their series name in the title. I would have to search gmail to find the shoot i was looking for. Gmail is amazing though, and it pushes to my phone as well.

A section on the website would be awesome. I mean right now a lot of people still don't know how to request a photoshoot because they only use the website. Facebook is unreliable for keeping things visible... i likely will use it less next year as it was a lot of work for little reward. Generally just people complaining that a shoot for X series wasn't on it, and they were unwilling to host one themselves. Cosplay.com still is my main source for info and the like.

Unread 06-02-2012, 09:28 AM   #37
touchmon
Make All The Things!

^Oh, we were supposed to be collecting data as well? Sorry about that. >_< I would have started gathering it during the Atlus photoshoot then. Although we were pretty consistent throughout the whole thing, at least cosplayer, cosplaying from it wise.

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

Unread 06-02-2012, 09:32 AM   #38
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchmon View Post
^Oh, we were supposed to be collecting data as well? Sorry about that. >_< I would have started gathering it during the Atlus photoshoot then. Although we were pretty consistent throughout the whole thing, at least cosplayer, cosplaying from it wise.
lol no, that was in 2011 that i asked for it and got a shitty response rate back. This year we had volunteers do it. That also had its own issues.

For the Atlus shoot i have an average of 89 people. 16 cosplayers and the rest photographers and general attendees. Sound about right?

Unread 06-02-2012, 10:36 AM   #39
seiryuux
Cosplay Chameleon

Quote:
For the Atlus shoot i have an average of 89 people. 16 cosplayers and the rest photographers and general attendees. Sound about right?
I think it was closer to 30 or more cosplayers, Persona-lly (yeah, I had to go there...)

Facebook
Fanfiction.net - Persona 3 Portable: Where No Persona Has Gone Before
Unread 06-02-2012, 10:55 AM   #40
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedragonx View Post
I think it was closer to 30 or more cosplayers, Persona-lly (yeah, I had to go there...)
Oh snap. I love me some puns.

I've adjusted the data. I think sometimes the volunteers weren't even sure who was cosplaying from the series in the photoshoot. Sometimes its obvious, like Eyeshield 21... all football players. But in cases like MLP or anything with a school uniform etc it's super hard to tell.

Last edited by DireKitty : 06-02-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Unread 06-02-2012, 11:26 AM   #41
seiryuux
Cosplay Chameleon

Quote:
Oh snap. I love me some puns.

I've adjusted the data. I think sometimes the volunteers weren't even sure who was cosplaying from the series in the photoshoot. Sometimes its obvious, like Eyeshield 21... all football players. But in cases like MLP or anything with a school uniform etc it's super hard to tell.
I think I'll be cosplaying as Teddie if I keep that up LOL (not that I would. I don't quite have his high pitched voice.)

Anyway, the other issue was that we kept switching between games (Persona 3 & 4, Catherine, both DS game series) during the shoot so a lot of those photographers were cosplayers and vice versa.

Facebook
Fanfiction.net - Persona 3 Portable: Where No Persona Has Gone Before
Unread 06-02-2012, 12:02 PM   #42
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedragonx View Post
I think I'll be cosplaying as Teddie if I keep that up LOL (not that I would. I don't quite have his high pitched voice.)

Anyway, the other issue was that we kept switching between games (Persona 3 & 4, Catherine, both DS game series) during the shoot so a lot of those photographers were cosplayers and vice versa.
Ah that explains it! A lot of the volunteers I talked to did not know much about video games and the like, and Atlus has more of a cult following so i'm sure they missed the boat on that one.

Unread 06-03-2012, 08:38 AM   #43
SuperBee
Jill of all trades

Quote:
Honestly email is the best way, especially for requesting spots. 2011 was really hard on me for keeping everyones information straight. Changing times etc and different people making comments on the same photoshoot.... a mess! Using a PM box is pure hell, so is a forum. With email i just delete their old information and can star things that i'll have to check into later. My only hiccup this year was people not following the format of having their series name in the title. I would have to search gmail to find the shoot i was looking for. Gmail is amazing though, and it pushes to my phone as well.

A section on the website would be awesome. I mean right now a lot of people still don't know how to request a photoshoot because they only use the website. Facebook is unreliable for keeping things visible... i likely will use it less next year as it was a lot of work for little reward. Generally just people complaining that a shoot for X series wasn't on it, and they were unwilling to host one themselves. Cosplay.com still is my main source for info and the like.

Yes Gmail is awesome for that. I also have mine set to my phone as well! Super awesome! I can see how people who do not use this forum cannot really set up a photoshoot with ease. Will you also have tips of the trade? (how to host a shoot, to take pictures, etc?) I know I could have benefited from that.

Just trying to offer some suggestions

-Giant Gastly
Unread 06-03-2012, 11:49 AM   #44
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Yes Gmail is awesome for that. I also have mine set to my phone as well! Super awesome! I can see how people who do not use this forum cannot really set up a photoshoot with ease. Will you also have tips of the trade? (how to host a shoot, to take pictures, etc?) I know I could have benefited from that.

Just trying to offer some suggestions
Yes i'm looking into adding in tips! Once I get a spot on the website that will be added.

Unread 06-21-2012, 05:57 PM   #45
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

I wish we could have an indoor location as well. I wonder if the front of the TCC could be used for something of that nature?

Closed Thread