Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Anime North

View Poll Results: Which day(s) are you planning to attend the photoshoot? (can chose more than one)
Friday 12 36.36%
Saturday 29 87.88%
Sunday 12 36.36%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-10-2012, 11:11 PM   #91
Grimmjow99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefer View Post
I'd say try Fabricland and the such, but look at the what I like to call 'backstore fabrics', aka the wall with fabrics for $2/meter and the one with $3/meter. Here it's usually at the back of the store, and there's a LOT of different type of fabric there (it's litterally a wall), I even saw some velvet and suede for $3/meter yesterday (granted I didn't need it in blue so I didn't buy any, but still!). You also have the coupons bin with buy 1 piece get 2 free and pay for the most expensive one. Best thing to do is to go see them once in a while, as they always add fabrics to it. I got my Rosa cape fabric for $2/meter instead of its normal $13/meter yesterday (well at Club Tissus, but Fabricville aka Fabricland in Ontatio has the same kind of deals, they just don't show the original price unlike the other store). Hope that helps! ...because otherwise I can't help more, I live in Quebec, not Ontario so it's not the same stores apart from Fabricville/Fabricland ^^;.
Do you know if they have Faux fur fabric there? Tried their website but not giving me anything
Grimmjow99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-10-2012, 11:52 PM   #92
Nefer
Silver fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimmjow99 View Post
Do you know if they have Faux fur fabric there? Tried their website but not giving me anything
At Fabricland? Well, they do here yes, they actually have different colors/type of fur as well, though the pricing varies... Good white 'santa-like' fur is usually $25/meter, therefore I'd say wait for their 50% sales to get it, which is what I did with mine. I only found some once and once only at the backstore fabrics spot, and it wasn't a fur I needed at all so ^^;

2013 cosplay:
Ike(SSBB) || Maria(SotN) || Rosa(FF4) || Sesshomaru(IY) || Setzer(FF6)
2014 Convention cosplay:
Caterina(TB) || Elsa(Frozen) || Firion(FF2/DFF) || Gakupo(Voc.Venomania) || Ryuuki(Sai.Mon.) || Viera White Mage (FFTA2)
Future (2015 conventions):
Dragoon-Elezen(FF14) || Eirika(Fire Emblem:Awakening) || Erza(Fairy Tail) || Seymour (FF10)
Nefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2012, 09:39 AM   #93
SuperBee
Jill of all trades

Would you think satin is a good choice for yuna's dress? Yes I know it's shimmery but....

Giant Diglett will return!

Possible Future Cosplays:
-Zapdos Original design (humanoid)
-Unown Original design (humanoid)
-Giant Gastly
-Marika Kato - Pirate Captain
SuperBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2012, 01:11 PM   #94
Liliana
Palamecia's Hyper Emperor

@SuperBee: If you want to use satin, go ahead.~ ^^ I personally wouldn't use it cause it is too shiny, and looks weird in pictures sometimes. But it is pretty underrated stuff, sometimes when used correctly, it can be really nice. But it's up to you! I think you can get away with satin for Yuna, as it is a wedding dress.. And if it ends up being TOO shiny for your liking, you can also add an extra personal touch to the dress by using organza fabric OVER the satin, to tone the shininess down. Won't be 'exactly' like Yuna's dress, (neither is the shine on the dress to begin with buuuut) but it would be pretty. O.o Just a personal opinion and suggestion lol. XD
Liliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2012, 09:23 PM   #95
KuroiAisu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDA View Post
@KuroiAisu: B-B-B-B-BLANK???? :O I love him! (he's on my cosplay-to-do-list >>) So much love for FFIX~! GAH I love that game x3

--

Update for my cosplay, I bought two of the cape fabrics for Kefka! Gotta have him ready for Con-G, and I want him to be perfect! Thank you Amano and Dissidia for making me want to do crazy ass details -_-

Kefka... why do you have the craziest design of all the FF villains??? Even worse than Kuja ><
IX is my favorite in the series <3 Blank is too awesome not to love <3

=o Kefka's on my to do list actually I'm embroidering my fabrics >< I'm going to cry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liliana View Post
@KuroiAisu: Sweet! Awesome that your gonna be cosplaying him! More love for Blank!~ Btw! I also see in your sig that you'll be Kefka too. 8D What day will you be bringing him? Or was there a change of plans? I love that villain a lot~
I'm not quite sure which day I'm bringing him. It all depends if I can manage to get Selvan done or not. If I finish my Selvan he claims saturday, if not Kefka will.
KuroiAisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2012, 10:51 PM   #96
MDA
Destiny Productions

@SuperBee: I agree with Liliana. And I like her idea of the satin with an organza overlay. So prety @_@ There is a dull satin you can get that I bought in October for a gown. Not shiny at all. Except maybe in the slightest. But I wouldn't recommend exactly what I got since it has a reptile skin print embedded in it. I think there is something you can get with the same amount of shine that's in the game... silk tafetta I think... I THINK. Don't take my word for it ^^;;

@KuroiAisu : IX is my favourite too ^^ And it was my first. There's not a single character in it that I dislike. Though I will admit, Queen Brahne has always creeped me out and I wanted to shoot her a few times xD

You and I will both cry with Kefka then. I guarantee I'll want to when making him. Him and Ultimecia. Both will kill me.... Kefka might be harder - I want to do beadwork, hand embroidery, piping, cording.... oh my *passes out*

2014 Cons/Events:
Too many events for 2013, to see the full list please visit here: MDA's Schedule

Facebook | deviantART
MDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2012, 01:26 PM   #97
SuperBee
Jill of all trades

Quote:
@SuperBee: I agree with Liliana. And I like her idea of the satin with an organza overlay. So prety @_@ There is a dull satin you can get that I bought in October for a gown. Not shiny at all. Except maybe in the slightest. But I wouldn't recommend exactly what I got since it has a reptile skin print embedded in it. I think there is something you can get with the same amount of shine that's in the game... silk tafetta I think... I THINK. Don't take my word for it ^^;;
Hmm... Thing is I don't know exactly what organza is. No matter how many game shots I see, there is a little bit of a shimmer to it. I know that satin is super shiny but I don't think the one I saw was. hmm....

Next problem is the strapless issue... I despise strapless stuffs because of the... um... fear of sliding down problem.... *cough* Think it would be ok if I have a thin strap go around my neck?

-Giant Gastly
Unread 06-13-2012, 01:33 PM   #98
Merino
Magical Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBee View Post

Next problem is the strapless issue... I despise strapless stuffs because of the... um... fear of sliding down problem.... *cough* Think it would be ok if I have a thin strap go around my neck?
Clear straps or colour white elastic with your foundations. (If on stage clear straps reflect light BIG TIME, so use the coloured elastic. Not going onstage? Go with clear straps)
Unread 06-13-2012, 02:22 PM   #99
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

Just to add to this, onstage you can getaway with flesh tone straps as no one will be close enough to notice. You can actually acid dye a pair of white fabric straps to your flesh tone. I used clear straps for Satella but people came up to me wondering how the dress was held up. It's only in photos that the become noticeable.

(would love to remake Satella one day.)

Anime North '15
Souryuu / Sohryu - Yami no Matsuei (Fri)
Nehelenia ~ Sailor Moon (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items, wigs, and materails for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!

Last edited by WARPAINTandUnicorns : 06-13-2012 at 02:27 PM.
WARPAINTandUnicorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2012, 02:54 PM   #100
KuroiAisu

Quote:
@KuroiAisu : IX is my favourite too ^^ And it was my first. There's not a single character in it that I dislike. Though I will admit, Queen Brahne has always creeped me out and I wanted to shoot her a few times xD

You and I will both cry with Kefka then. I guarantee I'll want to when making him. Him and Ultimecia. Both will kill me.... Kefka might be harder - I want to do beadwork, hand embroidery, piping, cording.... oh my *passes out*
It was also my first. Aside from the fact I hate noone, I love that the characters were actually remotely competent. The villain was competent and was actually involved with the charcters. He also had some personality outside of world domination and a believable reason. I could go on for days on how awesome IX is I swear.

Yes there will be tears. I want to do the same T.T FFF and the fringes. I also plan on a nose. His nose is clearly much bigger than mine and his ears are pointy... Yay for attatching things to my face again ><
Unread 06-13-2012, 04:46 PM   #101
Nefer
Silver fox

Quote:
Hmm... Thing is I don't know exactly what organza is. No matter how many game shots I see, there is a little bit of a shimmer to it. I know that satin is super shiny but I don't think the one I saw was. hmm....

For the fabric, there are actually some type of satin that are more matte and 'oriental silk' like, it may be what you saw ^^ Personally I'd say like Liana and go against the shiny silk, but if you saw some more matte one go for it! It's a wedding dress afterall, you probably could even go with peach skin fabric (well, not the one like suede and the such though, the one that just has a matter finish but not the suede feeling), or some silk... Though silk can be quite expensive...but then again less expensive than having to buy double the fabric if you go with an organza cover, which I wouldn't see on Yuna's wedding dress personally (note here, I'm crazy with been like the character and not adding less/more than what the character is, so ya... ^^; ).

For the straps, I'd say like the others, either transparent bra straps (you can get them at Dollorama nowadays), or flesh tone straps, two straps will hurt less your neck as well than just having one around your neck all day long.

2013 cosplay:
Ike(SSBB) || Maria(SotN) || Rosa(FF4) || Sesshomaru(IY) || Setzer(FF6)
2014 Convention cosplay:
Caterina(TB) || Elsa(Frozen) || Firion(FF2/DFF) || Gakupo(Voc.Venomania) || Ryuuki(Sai.Mon.) || Viera White Mage (FFTA2)
Future (2015 conventions):
Dragoon-Elezen(FF14) || Eirika(Fire Emblem:Awakening) || Erza(Fairy Tail) || Seymour (FF10)
Nefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2012, 05:45 PM   #102
SuperBee
Jill of all trades

Oh... I didn't know such a thing existed... the clear straps... I wasn't going to go on stage at AN (maybe for Con-G but I don't think I will get Yuna done for that and I wanted to have the duct tape yoshi for the masquerade for Con-G mwhaha). Thanks for all the feedback I may need help with this one... yes simple design but sometimes simple can be harder to do, especially a wedding dress.

-Giant Gastly
Unread 06-13-2012, 07:19 PM   #103
Liliana
Palamecia's Hyper Emperor

@SuperBee: Organza fabric is a see-through type of fabric. ^^ Btw clear straps are AWESOME. You can pick them up at the dollar store too, which have done me very well and never busted lol. I even used them for my recent Wedding Ashe cosplay, because just like you, that fear of strapless dresses/shirts 'sliding' down. XD

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3041397/ You can sometimes see the strap a weee little bit like in this photo here, but even so, clear straps are totally worth it.

Last edited by Liliana : 06-13-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Liliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 06:40 PM   #104
MDA
Destiny Productions

Quote:
If you can get your hands on a matte satin, or even silk (which is albeit quite expensive depending), I'd say go for it. You'd still have the really nice fabric without the over-amount of sheen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuroiAisu View Post
It was also my first. Aside from the fact I hate noone, I love that the characters were actually remotely competent. The villain was competent and was actually involved with the charcters. He also had some personality outside of world domination and a believable reason. I could go on for days on how awesome IX is I swear.

Yes there will be tears. I want to do the same T.T FFF and the fringes. I also plan on a nose. His nose is clearly much bigger than mine and his ears are pointy... Yay for attatching things to my face again ><
Competent characters was a plus! Kuja is my favourite villain for his actual interactions with the heroes. Which I love seeing with villains - which becomes quite rare for any genre really. I could probably go on and on about IX too xD It's just too awesome!

I forgot about the fringes.... oh those'll be fun *hangs head* Ah and the boots have custom shapes.... grrr.... he's going to be absolute torture @_@ Really? I'm guessing you'll use a sort of nose putty for creating the larger nose? I've been considering it but I haven't worked with nose putty since... 1997? (7 years-old and I had prosthetics for my witch costume...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefer View Post
For the straps, I'd say like the others, either transparent bra straps (you can get them at Dollorama nowadays), or flesh tone straps, two straps will hurt less your neck as well than just having one around your neck all day long.
I'd like to add to this about the straps. Two is indeed better. The only time I would say having one strap around your neck would be a good idea is if it was very wide like on a halter top - otherwise it would cut in a lot. Which is worse. But even a broad strap across your neck can be sore depending on how heavy your chest is - hence why I rarely wear such tops.

Quote:
Oh... I didn't know such a thing existed... the clear straps... I wasn't going to go on stage at AN (maybe for Con-G but I don't think I will get Yuna done for that and I wanted to have the duct tape yoshi for the masquerade for Con-G mwhaha). Thanks for all the feedback I may need help with this one... yes simple design but sometimes simple can be harder to do, especially a wedding dress.
If you enter at Con-G with Yoshi I'll cheer you on! I still gotta get the picture of Gyarados off of my phone since I had left my camera with Liliana and CosplayCanada when I discovered where my Kazu was the Friday. But I'll cheer you on at AN too if you enter as Yuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liliana View Post
@SuperBee: Organza fabric is a see-through type of fabric. ^^ Btw clear straps are AWESOME. You can pick them up at the dollar store too, which have done me very well and never busted lol. I even used them for my recent Wedding Ashe cosplay, because just like you, that fear of strapless dresses/shirts 'sliding' down. XD

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3041397/ You can sometimes see the strap a weee little bit like in this photo here, but even so, clear straps are totally worth it.
Organza is so pretty @_@ But it hates me for sewing... I'll work at it - need to for Rydia.

Sometimes you can get away with having an elastic band at the top of the dress too - It's what I used for my dress for Rider a couple years ago, and it worked great! I'll use the method of an elastic again if I make Terra's black outfit next year. I'll see how it all goes xD

2014 Cons/Events:
Too many events for 2013, to see the full list please visit here: MDA's Schedule

Facebook | deviantART
MDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2012, 04:20 AM   #105
KuroiAisu

Quote:
Competent characters was a plus! Kuja is my favourite villain for his actual interactions with the heroes. Which I love seeing with villains - which becomes quite rare for any genre really. I could probably go on and on about IX too xD It's just too awesome!

I forgot about the fringes.... oh those'll be fun *hangs head* Ah and the boots have custom shapes.... grrr.... he's going to be absolute torture @_@ Really? I'm guessing you'll use a sort of nose putty for creating the larger nose? I've been considering it but I haven't worked with nose putty since... 1997? (7 years-old and I had prosthetics for my witch costume...)
That's exactly why he's my favorite too. He was hands on causing shit everywhere and mocking you as he did it. I love that the villains got some actual screen time away from the the other characters too. The only other game I've seen that in is Radiant Historia, which is probably why that's shot up to my #2 of all time after IX.

I am dreading the boots too >< I've never heard of nose putty =o I was just gonna use a latex nose kind of like my elf ears. Luckily I have an airbrush so I can properbly blend in all my make up.