Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 03-14-2014, 01:26 AM   #1
KatTehninja

Daenerys Dress - What is this technique called?

So I am making this dress of Daenerys', and I want to do the braiding/folding technique, but I can't figure out what it's called so I can try to find a tutorial or something. Anyone know what it is?

Also, for the brassy/gold pieces.. I'm assuming it's some sort of flossing/embroidery technique like those used to floss corsets, and that's what I was going to do, but in those shapes, unless any of you know a better way to do it?
KatTehninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-14-2014, 01:44 AM   #2
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatTehninja View Post
So I am making this dress of Daenerys', and I want to do the braiding/folding technique, but I can't figure out what it's called so I can try to find a tutorial or something. Anyone know what it is?
That looks like someone slashed the shoulder pattern to expand it, add some distributed fullness, and then folded it all back into place in a way that suggests braiding. You can search for terms like "added fullness", "tucking", "tucks", "dart manipulation", etc. I know what's going on in my head, it's a lot of the same basic techniques for moving darts around, adding fullness, adding darts/pintucks/pleats, etc.

Quote:
Also, for the brassy/gold pieces.. I'm assuming it's some sort of flossing/embroidery technique like those used to floss corsets, and that's what I was going to do, but in those shapes, unless any of you know a better way to do it?
That doesn't look like embroidery to me at all. It looks like there's some gold or gold/black fabric appliqued on top of the blue in places, and then that blue web-like floss is woven and knotted on top of it. The brass studs at the tip of the shoulder flange further distract from it.

2014: Anime Los Angeles and whatever else falls into my lap

I now have a Tumblr. Sometimes I use it.
Evil Bishounen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 01:55 AM   #3
KatTehninja

Thanks for all the help! I definitely have some mathing to do for the shoulder pieces.
Okay yeah, the appliqued fabric sounds way more sane than trying to floss all of that.
I'll try these things! Thank you.
Unread 03-14-2014, 06:14 AM   #4
lemuries

I swear I've seen this result before by running fabric at an uneven pace and offset angle through a smocking pleater. The gold would then be smocked embroidery.

What kills me is that i can't find a reference where I have seen it before.
lemuries is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 01:54 PM   #5
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

It's a piece of deliberately irregular arrow smocking ironed flat and appliqued to the base garment. Here's what's what straight from the VERY skilled woman who made it.

The net pieces are an embroidery stitch that she calls lock stitch. It could easily be based on open chain stitch. (video tutorial and photo tutorial) The brass shoulder studs/flanges/scales are just tile beads. She used Miyuki Tila beads specifically, but non-Miyuki tile beads are easy to find more cheaply too.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)

Last edited by Mangochutney : 03-14-2014 at 02:04 PM.
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 02:19 PM   #6
Dagen
Sword Mistress

Here's a tutorial of how to do it: http://www.michelecarragherembroider...2880143%29.htm
Dagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 02:53 PM   #7
KatTehninja

Thank you all! This is very helpful! And thank you especially for those thinks!