Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-29-2012, 09:25 PM   #1
fluffpuffgerbil

Crayola Model Magic drying speed

Soooo I'm going cosplaying Saturday with some friends at the mall as Death the Kid, and I've been meaning to make a new skull tie for awhile since my old one broke(It was just made out of crayola model magick. XD) and so I got my styrofoam base made, covered it in foil, masking tape, and then Crayola Model Magic I've got three days to finish it. It's supposed to take 24 hours to completely dry it, but I was wondering if anyone knew how to get it to dry faster so I can possibly sand it a bit and then paint it(Kid would hate me though since my clay job's all lumpy and bumpy. XD Asymmetrical) but I'd like it to be ready for light sanding, painting, and sealing tomorrow by mid day at the most since I don't have school tomorrow and it's a good day to work on it.

Any tips on how to get it to dry faster? I don't think baking it would work unless the oven was on a very low setting.... I read breifly something about freezing it overnight? Or maybe setting a fan on it starting now until tomorrow?
fluffpuffgerbil is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-30-2012, 05:19 PM   #2
GooGooMuck
Deserves Your Pity

As a past employee of Hallmark/Crayola, I've had a bit of experience with Model Magic and can offer what I know:

It depends on the thickness of the Model Magic. It could take anywhere from 3 hours to 3 days to dry completely. If you wanted, you could experiment with using a hair dryer. I've never tried it, but I'm fairly certain it wouldn't hurt anything.

A word of warning since you're concerned about it being lumpy: Model Magic is near impossible to sand (if anybody out there knows of a way to make it work, however, please please share!). My friend made her Homestuck horns out of the stuff and had me sand them for her, but they kind of flaked apart and became almost suede-like in texture. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to bash on Model Magic. It's awesome stuff, but like any air-dry modeling clay, it's frustrating to work with unless you move very quickly (Model Magic in particular starts drying and cracking within minutes).

Your best bet for a smooth, uniform surface is sanded Sculpey or another oven-bake clay. If you have the means to procure some, absolutely do! It's quick and efficient and I've never had a bad experience with it.

I hope this helps!
Unread 05-30-2012, 06:16 PM   #3
fluffpuffgerbil

Thanks! I actually got it to be smoother by just adding more clay. It's not too thick since I used it to cover the main "skeleton" of the skull tie. Your post did help though! Thanks!
fluffpuffgerbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 10:52 PM   #4
Syrinx
Love and Peace!!

i'm gonna take over this thread for a sec... i have a question. i'm making a set of small horns for a costume and i decided to use model magic. now as it's drying one side of the horn i made is starting to crack. how do i go about covering these cracks? it's already been drying for about 24 hours. i was thinking about putting some crazy glue in the cracks and smooshing them together a bit (just enough to close the crack), but i didn't know if crazy glue would be bad for the clay or even work. the ultimate goal is hot gluing them onto a headband and i'm a bit worried about the cracks since they're on the side i'm gluing to the band. also... putting gesso on them to make them a bit harder... would i be able to glue them to the headband after using gesso? do you think the gesso will peel away from the clay? any help you guys can give would be awesome! thanks!

Sumia 25%
Link (OoT) 50%
Bowser 100% (repair work)
Syrinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 05:09 AM   #5
Druhzin

The reason it cracks is because its drying too fast, I stopped using it because of this. Someone I talked to suggested putting slightly damp towels on them to slow the process. To cover cracks put more model magic over it. Imo paperclay is a billion times better, doesn't crack as much and is overall better. I recommend putting modge podge hard coat over them instead of gesso or gesso after the hard coat. It will be a lot sturdier.
Druhzin is offline   Reply With Quote