Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Anime North

Unread 09-09-2012, 03:57 PM   #181
KakeraのTsuki
in Somniō

I've run into a snag for my AN costume so I thought I'd try here to see if anyone can help. ;__;

I need big teardrop-shaped gems for this costume. They're where the wings are, and here's a closeup

I need really big teardrop-shaped gems in aqua, and it'd be nice if they came in 3 sizes. After looking for a few days, I'm starting to think I won't find any... but I don't want to resin cast them unless it's unavoidable.

Any help is appreciated! ;__;

Otakuthon: Ashe(League of Legends), Artwork (Nardack illustrations)

Upcoming: Lyndis (Fire Emblem: awakening), Abel (Trinity Blood), Fruit Tart (Sakizo)

KakeraのTsuki is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #182
SuperBee
Jill of all trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by KakeraのTsuki View Post
I've run into a snag for my AN costume so I thought I'd try here to see if anyone can help. ;__;

I need big teardrop-shaped gems for this costume. They're where the wings are, and here's a closeup

I need really big teardrop-shaped gems in aqua, and it'd be nice if they came in 3 sizes. After looking for a few days, I'm starting to think I won't find any... but I don't want to resin cast them unless it's unavoidable.

Any help is appreciated! ;__;
Try some small beading stores. Depends on what area you live in I could name a few. They don't have websites.

Giant Diglett will return!

Possible Future Cosplays:
-Zapdos Original design (humanoid)
-Unown Original design (humanoid)
-Giant Gastly
-Marika Kato - Pirate Captain
SuperBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2012, 05:46 PM   #183
Kairi's-Fantasy
Artsy Tech

Oooo, I really, really want to go to AN in 2013!!
I'm not sure if I will go for sure, but I'm hoping that I can get a group of friends before December, who are willing to cosplay (Already have 2).
If this all works out, I'm hoping to do a Final Fantasy III group.

Good luck with your Anime North cosplays, everyone!
Taiga Aisaka (Toradora!)
Blossom (Powerpuff Girls - Original "post-disaster"/"geared up" ver.)

Planned for 2015:
Kairi (Kingdom Hearts - Steampunk)
Fem!Edward Elric (Fullmetal Alchemist)
Zelda (Hyrule Warriors)

Last edited by Kairi's-Fantasy : 09-26-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Kairi's-Fantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2012, 08:56 AM   #184
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

KakeraのTsuki don't feel bad I took months to find the right Red Queen stones. Also to add insult to ingery they are large and back fasted.

I remember Fabricland having tear crop shade crystals right now for decorations, not in turquoises but in clear that you could repaint. If they don't have them now they will just before Christmas. They look like this but larger.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/86332371...rch_t ype=all
If uou paint the back of clear ons with Glass paint int the shade you want they will shine that colour one you add foil as well.

My Two costume stone where cut from plexiglass and painted that way.
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=92780

I've also in the past raided stores with cheap jewelry for just the stones on them.

Sometime the teardrop stone are refereed to Drops or Pear shape stones.
http://www.jansjewels.com/other/sacryp-2.html

I'm pretty sure Swarovski make larger Pear Rhinestones in all their shades. Queen of Hearts Costume is a direct wholesaler for them and has the full catalog to order from so you can get different sizes in the same shade.
http://www.artbeads.com/4327-aqu40.html
But i would only got Swarovski as a last resort as they are F-ing expensive in the larger size. O__o

cosplaysupplies might be able to special order the larger ones in but only list the smaller ones on their site.
http://www.cosplaysupplies.com/store.php?s=P5DL
http://www.cosplaysupplies.com/store...96843271001001

Unplugged Expo
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North (Nehelenia), Otakuthon(maybe), FanEXPO
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!

Last edited by Ani_BEE : 09-10-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2012, 04:09 PM   #185
KakeraのTsuki
in Somniō

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBee View Post
Try some small beading stores. Depends on what area you live in I could name a few. They don't have websites.
I tried some beading stores in the fashion district already but I couldn't find ones big enough for what I need. TT_TT I live in Toronto (midtown)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani_BEE View Post
KakeraのTsuki don't feel bad I took months to find the right Red Queen stones. Also to add insult to ingery they are large and back fasted.
/snip
Ooh the artbeads one looks promising... I will look around and see if they have other sizes, thanks!

I think my biggest issue is the size. I've seen lots of listings/irl packs of the 30mmx20mm ones, but those are way too small. Even the smallest size I need would be ~50mm in length.

I could sacrifice accuracy I guess, but... -sighs-

Otakuthon: Ashe(League of Legends), Artwork (Nardack illustrations)

Upcoming: Lyndis (Fire Emblem: awakening), Abel (Trinity Blood), Fruit Tart (Sakizo)

KakeraのTsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2012, 07:10 PM   #186
SuperBee
Jill of all trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by KakeraのTsuki View Post
I tried some beading stores in the fashion district already but I couldn't find ones big enough for what I need. TT_TT I live in Toronto (midtown)

Ooh the artbeads one looks promising... I will look around and see if they have other sizes, thanks!

I think my biggest issue is the size. I've seen lots of listings/irl packs of the 30mmx20mm ones, but those are way too small. Even the smallest size I need would be ~50mm in length.

I could sacrifice accuracy I guess, but... -sighs-
Yea I know of some places outside your area....

Have you tried Micheals? I know that, in the past they had some large ones in a multi-pack of various "gems".

Have you ever worked with resin? It's another option.

-Giant Gastly
Unread 09-11-2012, 10:22 AM   #187
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

I've done resin KakeraのTsuki in a the past and it interesting. I recommend Expo resin hands down it a touch more expensive but the results are fool proof when doing large casting.

Definitely recommend picking up supplise from Curry's, WAY cheaper then Micheals. The do
Castin'Craft Expo as silicon to make molds, also the range of resin dyes.

My Mami gem was a custom mold as cast. Also if your clay wasn't 100% smooth it will leave a fogging finish to your cast. I just used 1 layer top cot nail polish to gloss the flower up to the high shine you see.

I just ordering my Watachi fabric today!!!! The seller had it for 46% off this week so 10 yards came to $50. Pale orange was a bitch to track down as most orange are very bright. It also not a pastel orange either but a light orange that not too saturated. It technically a broadcloth however it a designer fabric an twice as thick then your cheap broadcloth a not shinny. It's also 100% cotton giving a a nice "peasant" feel Jinrui Wa Suitai Shimashita(Humanity Has Declined) has to the series.

Unplugged Expo
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North (Nehelenia), Otakuthon(maybe), FanEXPO
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!

Last edited by Ani_BEE : 09-11-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 10:34 PM   #188
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I am just getting SO pissed off at trying to make this Quorra cosplay. Everything keeps either not working at all when trying to get a mockup finished enough to move onto the final item, or I THINK I've got it and then find out it's actually not correct at all or there's some forgotten detail that sends me back to square one. OR, I can't find the damn materials I need.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2012, 12:26 AM   #189
Zouziias
Cosplay Novice

I don't know if I'm going yet, but I started planning what costumes I'm going to wear. I'm going to be Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney all weekend, just with costume variants. xD They're al a surprise, so I'm hoping other Ace Attorney Fans will find them as amusing as I do. :-D

Good Luck working on your costumes, everyone!
Zouziias is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2012, 10:34 AM   #190
Yaritzuma

I'm going as Sakura from Tsubasa RC this year. I have a Syaoran as well.
We ordered our wigs and are now deciding the second outfit we'll make since we are doing 2 sets of Tsubasa cosplays.

Let us know if you have any opinions on what Tsubasa outfits you'd find interesting/exciting to see, feel free to suggest. : )
Yaritzuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2012, 10:53 AM   #191
touchmon
Make All The Things!

If the skirt ends up working fine then I will officially be done with Heroine! One down and 2 cosplays to finish along with props. I'm really hoping the feathers for my friend's Konohana Sakuya cosplay will harden soon. This craft foam is taking everything I throw at it and is still too floppy. >_>

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cure~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

touchmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2012, 11:54 AM   #192
MDA
Destiny Productions

My cosplays are driving me nuts, they're kinda on hold for the moment until January since I have so many different things to make.

Actually, starting this week I'll be working on my Grell Sutcliff cosplay My goal is to finish the coat and make the vest by the end of the week. Might need to get new fabric for the lining though for the coat >>
I keep trying to be persuaded to join a Kuro group that's the same day as mine, but the organizer wants me in the pale blue ballgown that I wore for Fan Expo. I'm not wearing something somebody else wants that I do not. I wore the gown for FX because it was short notice that I could go.

Ultimecia I've drafter her wings pattern. Just need the mesh and the longer feathers. I have the wire and the down, so I just need the rest. And the wigs... fabric... makeup... oh god OTL

Kefka got scrapped for next year though due to time limitations and everything - and lack of enthusiasm and the prospect of Master scares the shit out of me.
But now I don't know what to wear for Friday TT_TT More Grell? Xemnas? Jinx? I don't know D8

2014 Cons/Events:
Too many events for 2013, to see the full list please visit here: MDA's Schedule

Facebook | deviantART
MDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 04:53 PM   #193
touchmon
Make All The Things!

Finished Heroine! Which means 1/3 cosplays are done. ^_^ Just have to make a bunch of flowers for Gumi and make armwarmers and buy boots for Marie and I'll be set for AnimeNorth. Weird. Something has to go wrong now, I know it. >_>

I also need to finish Saber's spear sword, make 4 pink camellia flowers and make Konohana Sakuya's wings for my friend though.

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cure~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

touchmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2012, 09:34 AM   #194
SuperBee
Jill of all trades

As soon as my house is in order (as in finish the new flooring) I can start on Hex. All the fabric and materials have been purchased. So excited! I made a prop of a skull with model magic but it's cracking as it dries. I can fill that in the glue right?

-Giant Gastly
Unread 09-28-2012, 05:27 PM   #195
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Making Twilight Sparkle's ears and doing some wig things tomorrow. And boyfriend generously bought my ID disk for me for my Quorra cosplay.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote