Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Unread 01-30-2004, 08:52 PM   #1
l337

Unhappy Ranma 1/2 girl-type

this is gonna be my first crossplay and im a bit nervous. im going with my girlfriend(shes making me) anyway ill be going as ranma saotome (girl-type) and dont really know what to do ive heard that its better for people to think ur a girl instead of them thinking ur crossplaying. id like some general tips on the costume and how to act. and if anyone could help in anyway it would be appreciated

Thanx
l337 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-31-2004, 10:08 AM   #2
l337

sorry

yeah im sorry i forgot to tell you which one of ranmas outfits-its either gonna be the red or the blue ones that you see her wear most often in the anime and manga
Unread 01-31-2004, 11:16 AM   #3
RHIshida
lol internet

Telling people that you are really a guy is really just a matter of preference. There are some crossplayers that prefer that people know they are crossplayers, and there are some crossplayers that like the element of stealth. In the aspect of acting female, there are a few key things that will give you away, however, as female Ranma, you have to remember that Ranma is still a guy, and will still show many masculine mannerisms. Anyway, here are some tips:

1. Try to sound less demanding and forcive in your speech.
When men talk typically, they will say "I want a Cheeseburger" and most women will say "I would like a cheeseburger." Not true for all cases, but it makes you sound more female.
2. When you sit, attempt to take up as little room as possible.
3. Try to work on your voice a bit. Nothing is more of a dead giveaway than your voice.
4. When you make the costume, try to make it complement your feminine attributes, or make up for the lack thereof.
5. A little makeup does not hurt in making your face look feminine, just don't go overboard (That tends to give you away as well)

If you need any more help, feel free to ask. Unfortunately, I have never made a female Ranma costume, so I would not know what materials would work the best, but I'm sure there are plenty that would be willing to further the help! Welcome to the crossplay world l337.
Unread 02-02-2004, 08:25 PM   #4
l337

thanx

thanks for the info it helped a lot im still no completly sure but it helped. one thing ive wondered though why does ranma act so girly (in female form) in pictures i see in the manga im starting to think of things but im not sure
Unread 02-02-2004, 11:22 PM   #5
BIOJECT
Long Pointy Elf Ears! Mmm

Ranma acts like a girl because he is a girl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l337
thanks for the info it helped a lot im still no completly sure but it helped. one thing ive wondered though why does ranma act so girly (in female form) in pictures i see in the manga im starting to think of things but im not sure
Ranma in his girl form acts like a girl because he's just that. Hormones have drastically changed so I wouldn't be surprised if he actually does have the hots for some men in the series even though he may not think he does.

Plus it just adds entertainment to the series.
Unread 02-03-2004, 12:47 AM   #6
Mizuno Tenshi
Shiawase wa itsumo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIOJECT
Ranma in his girl form acts like a girl because he's just that. Hormones have drastically changed so I wouldn't be surprised if he actually does have the hots for some men in the series even though he may not think he does.

Plus it just adds entertainment to the series.

Two things... his girl form doesn't act like a normal girl when he tries to act that way. Ranma-chan goes for the Uber-kawaii look to get free food and stuff.
Most typical "girl" gestures are learned, not genetic. Many gestures that are considered effeminate came from clothing styles, such as corsets which restricted movement, and petticoats which change seating methods, so on and so forth. Most of the behavior is socialized.
Otherwise Ranma-chan acts just like Ranma-kun.
Second... Hormones don't determine sexuality... Just because you're hormones change doesn't mean that you're attracted to someone different. That's like saying a girl in the middle of her period suddenly becomes a raging lesbian if she was straight as an arrow before.

Tenshi

"Normal is for those who can't do any better." - Me
Mizuno Tenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2004, 08:38 PM   #7
l337

well the hormone thing was what my friend thought but i didnt really think thats what it was so i take it that Jazon bladen was wrong when he said "keep in mind that ranma is a guy" so ill have to act like a girl WELL THATS JUST GREAT *sarcastically*
Unread 02-04-2004, 10:17 PM   #8
RHIshida
lol internet

Well, was I trying to say that, Ranma is a guy, so his idea of how a girl acts is flawed. (Notice how he tends to take the cutesy 'I'm a little angel' *sparkle sparkle* approach, just like Tenshi Mizuno was talking about. :P)