Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-31-2012, 12:16 AM   #1
Nubby

So I guess there is Discrimination against "Heavier" People?

So I've been a heavy guy since I was small, I would try to loose weight but due to a lot of stuff happening with family and friends and jobs over the years...I've accumulated a lot of Stress and among other things, including weight issues.

I've been an Anime fan since I was very small but always wanted to cosplay since I was 18, I'm 27 and I still want to do it. But I'm very insecure about this issue, I've been reading and looking at images of heavy set cosplayers and I've see some very good ones and some bad ones...but I wanna say 90% of the cosplaying community don't like "Bigger" cosplayers because they aren't skinny enough for the characters, the same goes to skin color, I'm Black/Hispanic...well I look more Black and that's another issue I'm dealing with.

So I'm here asking your guy's opinion should I do it or not, or am I not allowed to since the color of my skin and my weight and if you must know I'm 5'8 290.

I've been watching a lot of Robotech, which btw is Amazing never to old to watch it or its never old to be watched. I'm not dressing up as Rick Hunter, I'm dressing as a random Solider from the Macross Saga.

So yea the help would be great.

http://www.absoluteanime.com/robotech/rick.gif
Nubby is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-01-2012, 01:45 PM   #2
Nubby

Guess the answer is yes, with this post having 21 views and no one answering.
Nubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 07:02 PM   #3
Caleb-kun^~^
Awesome Prussia

Cosplay is for fun and people who put others down because of their weight or shin color. My friend Ashley is black and she cosplayed as Italy from Hetalia. She was by far the best Italy I have ever seen. Another girl I know who considers herself a butterball cosplayed as Haineko from Bleach and was awesome. And as oppsed to what some people think, everyone can cosplay.
~Hope I helped(:
Caleb-kun^~^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 07:12 PM   #4
Comp_Stein

Cosplay, at least for me, is breathing life into a character that you love. If you want to do that for a character that you like, do it. I'm almost 6 feet tall, but that's not putting me off from doing Hiei from Yu Yu Hakusho one bit. Put on their cosplay and their personality and people will like it.
There will always be people who say that you shouldn't or you can't, so just ignore them and have fun. That's what a con is about, isn't it?

"Those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter."
~Dr. Seuss
Comp_Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2012, 01:45 AM   #5
TsukasaAmou
Madkazer

I'm sure someone has said this already but i'll throw my 2 cents in.
I think you should cosplay who ever makes you the happiest. If playing a skinny character gets you picked on and it doesn't make it fun then don't do it.
But I still encourage you to continue cosplaying. I think heavier set people make awesome Mecha cosplays (ex: transformers, gundam, all the awesome giant robots) and since skin color isn't a problem for being a robot it would be an awesome cosplay.
I have found that picking characters that are closer to the way you look are a lot more fun to play, so research animes that have black/hispanic characters and pick one you really like otherwise it's not worth it.
You could always pick characters that don't have "normal" skin colors like blue or green. I think heavier people could pull off fighting game characters well. Think like soul caliber or street fighter, there are some pretty cool heavier characters.

Oh I do want to add that people will always pick on cosplayers. I don't know how many cons I have gone to where people will point out something "wrong" with my costume. Even worse they wont even be cosplayers who are pointing it out. Best thing to do is ignore them.

I hope you do decide to cosplay best of luck to you!
Unread 06-02-2012, 08:21 PM   #6
Slapthefatcat
The man with the guns.

You can do whatever the heck you want. Cosplay is for fun, it's in the name. Cosplay
Slapthefatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2012, 10:12 PM   #7
EvilSkittles

Everyone has already talked about being yourself and doing what you want, but I'll throw in my thoughts.
I say the key is confidence, if you project confidence you will have few problems. Now I'm new to cosplay but I've always made a big deal out of Halloween, even been featured on the news throughout the years.

I wore this Ms. Mad Hatter costume, with striped tights and a real top hat, to movie day at my highschool.
http://images.halloweencostumes.org/...stume-zoom.jpg

Now we all know that highschool is a very judgemental place but I knew I looked good and others picked up on that.

In essence I'm saying you just do what you want and be confident in yourself.
EvilSkittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 06:42 AM   #8
K1k2

Please read the whole thing before I start getting hate.

First and formost. Do what you want. Cosplay is for you the person to enjoy.Do not do it/don't do it becuase of others around you, its all up to you. Don't let what others say affect what you do.
Personaly, I don't like "heavyer" Cosplay. But thats on me. I have the ability to look away if i dont want to see it. Also I was a heavyer cosplayer.
http://blog.wtfconcept.com/wp-conten...a_pwn-fail.jpg
But because I did not like it I worked out, droped 120 pounds. Made cosplay friends who helped me on the way.
Topic of race...?! To hell with them. Its cosplay. Like I said, You want to do it, Do it.

When you say help what do you mean? in what way?

So the long and short of it is, personaly I dont like it. However, My views on it should not effect you. Do what makes you happy and to hell with others ideas on what your doing. No matter if your costume is perfect someone will hate on it. So dont worry about it. Do the best you can with what you go.
K1k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 12:35 AM   #9
Diegator
User of Swords

Someone's signature said it best... "if you're not having fun, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!".
That goes for issues of weight, race, height, even gender (look at my avatar).
Now if what you want is to lose some weight in the process of getting into character, then more power to you; you're in the right place.
Diegator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2012, 11:39 AM   #10
tabbykat

To heck with everyone who says you can't do something cos of your weight or skin colour.. or whatever.....

They are just being unreasonably discriminatory....

The only aim you should go for in cosplay is having fun... and it is a celebration of your fandom of... whatever character it is.... screw all the complainers....

Now... if you want to do anything extra for the cosplay.. like getting fitter and in shape.. do it for YOU.... not cos someone says you gotta....
tabbykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2012, 12:11 AM   #11
mscasp
Makeshift Casual Cosplyr

What's with all this discrimination against body weight and race? I've heard heavy people being called "fatty," "piggy," and even more terrible names. They do get discriminated a lot. Don't the bullies know that such action will only stress out the victims and make them eat more, causing them to gain more weight? They really need to make discrimination a punishable crime. Society puts too much emphasis on weight loss. Being overweight is not just from eating, but many other factors. For example, muscles and genetics play a major role. There are many other health issues that will prevent people from losing weight. Why can't people see that?

I have seen people cosplay characters who don't fit them (including "fat" people playing "skinny" characters). Even if it doesn't look right, it's still all right. They're not using their cosplay to hit others. Then some people really get into their cosplays and some don't. Cosplay doesn't mean we have to really get into the character. It's just for fun. We're not actors in movies and plays. For example, I have some health issues, such as sensitive skin, so I can't tolerate the discomforts of many costumes. Then there is the issue with money. That's why my cosplays are always very simple and makeshift, almost just wearing my regular clothes. You should just do whatever suits you. If they can't accept that, then it's their problem.

I looked up "Robotech soldier," and it seems like the characters are robots or people in armor. If you're afraid of being made fun of (which is their fault, not yours), then your weight and skin color shouldn't matter with Robotech soldier costumes. People build robots of all shapes, colors, and sizes. I'm sure most of us have seen some really weird-looking robots.
mscasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2012, 08:55 AM   #12
Kasinator
Not quite human

I as well as several other users helped expand what was once only the losing weight and cosplay thread inside the general cosplay chat board into the fitness board ( with the greatest of help from the admins here on cosplay.com) you see here today. For me, getting in shape for cosplay was much like and actor preparing for a role in a movie. I never needed to in all honesty, I just did it because it was part of the fun for me. At the same time we had other cosplayers who were trying to get into shape for different reasons. some for help getting into to character, and others who used cosplay as a motivation to live a healthier life. However a lot of people who were were going about the wrong way of getting in shape. people were following unhealthy diets. over training, or just had a lot of misinformation about proper fitness.

A lot of people had very unrealistic expectations, from wanting to lose an impossible amount of weight in a short span of time to gaining muscle in ways they could not hope for in such a short amount of time. we needed them to know what they could realistically do.

Now with all that being said. we educate and encourage proper fitness and nutrition. We DO NOT AND WILL NOT discriminate those who do not look the part. That's stupid. Cosplay is not limited to certain individuals. We have people from different ethnics who cosplay as characters who are clearly Asian. We have female cosplayers who cosplay male characters and vice-verse. At the end of the day we all love doing this, and I don't care about your physique more than I do the cosplay you make. I especially love the ones of characters I would have never thought of in a million years. Moreover consider the idea a great deal of cosplayers were different shapes and sizes once. Do you really think they will think more of themselves better? If they do let me know I'd like to slap some sense into them.

My workout
What to eat

I'm not a trained nutritionist/fitness instructor. But I hope to give you any help I can. PM me If you want someone to coach you.
Please comment on my pics. They give me teh warm fuzziez! xD
Kasinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2012, 10:22 AM   #13
Asezuna

Well, you could say that there is this "discrimination"... Because as sad as it is, I tend to do it, too. (Though I don't call people names, because when I was younger, I've been called names, too, so...) But HEY! It's a free world! (At least said to be.) You can do whatever you want! (Just don't murder, rape, beat up, steal and the list goes on...)
ALTHOUGH I have to recommend people to lose some weight. It's for the sake of their health. (Unless you being overweight is caused by illness, when you can do little to nothing about it.)
But it's still YOUR life. YOUR decisions. And if somebody does not like it? He just should turn his head away...
Asezuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2012, 04:30 PM   #14
YellowPancreas

This sort of stuff annoys the hell out of me! Cons are supposed to be a "safe place" for us geeks were we won't get picked on like we do in school or college! Instead there seems to be a heirarchy of nerds as well :/

Wear your cosplay, and do it proudly! You're putting all this time and effort into it and you deserve the praise for doing so.
YellowPancreas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 03:01 AM   #15
Slapthefatcat
The man with the guns.

Every freaking time I see that, I'm like DANG!!!
Slapthefatcat is offline   Reply With Quote