Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-16-2012, 03:25 AM   #16
Venciel Links

You know I thought the same as you and I held myself back from cosplay for many years because of it. But it's not 90% of the cosplay community that is prejudice like that, it's less then that actually. It's a small elite few who feel this way and they can really just go...have sexual intercourse with themselves in a violent manner. There are people who feel they want to replicate the character and won't cosplay characters out of their body size/height and color and that's fine if that's what the individual wants to do, but if they want to cosplay someone skinnier or heavier, blacker or whiter, taller or shorter then they really are then I think they should do what ever they want. It's all about fun and each cosplayer sees cosplay in a different way. Don't let those few people get you down. If there is effort in your cosplay then that's all that matters. I mean it's a little intimidating when you look at professional cosplayers (Most of the Japanese cosplayers you see online being compared with home made hobby ones) because they take it to a whole 'nother level, but in general it's just a fun hobby and there will always be stuck up people in any hobby, from BJD to sports, to movie goers, to collectors to actors to artists to SCA to cosplay. There will also be discrimination no matter what you do for being too heavy and too thin. Sad, but it's true.
Venciel Links is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-16-2012, 05:47 AM   #17
Salafor

Have to agree with the previous statement. There are always people that take a hobby, a job or even something completely random as very serious and will not do anything with it that doesn't make it seem perfect.

But doing that can really destroy the fun, especially when they are being so extreme that they push their thoughts onto others, making them feel bad about themselves.
And there are professionals that make stunning outfits that seem to have just been taken from the anime itself with some magic converter or something..

And sometimes it is really cool that there are people like that. But everyone should keep in mind that there are also a lot of cosplayers that do not match their character in height, weight, race, gender, age or any other way. And they still have tons of fun.

Because its all about having fun and just doing what you want, especially if you like a character and want to make that character come to life.

So I'd say that you should just go for it
Cosplay what you want to cosplay, and just have fun.
Salafor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 08:30 AM   #18
Pasiphilo
Life Imitating Art

I'm sure I'm echoing what most commenters have already said, but just to reiterate: cosplay is for the fun of it. We don't need to audition and no one pays us. Do what you want, how you want, and ignore the "haters" (who are rare, in my experience).

I would also add that cosplay preparation has been a most effective weightloss motivator for me, so if you are feeling self-concsious about your weight, harness that concern into a positive lifestyle change; losing weight yields benefits far beyond cosplay, as I learned myself.

Whatever you choose to do, I wish you the best of luck!

P.S. I grew up on Robotech and enjoyed it, but you owe it to yourself to check out the original Macross franchise, which is even better!
Pasiphilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 10:15 AM   #19
Ichie
Automail Mechanic

Cosplay is for fun and everyone should be able to enjoy it regardless or race or colour.

Your weight and height does not dictate you being able to cosplay or not being able to cosplay.

Go for it!
Ichie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 12:34 PM   #20
quiltedninja

You, mister, you cosplay. Because cosplay is a beautiful thing. You know, I'm a big gal. I can't crossplay well at all; in fact, I've been told that I 'need a good man between my legs' to keep me from crossdressing for characters I adore. And most of my female cosplays, even though they're curvy too, I get hit at because I'm 'not thin enough'.

To that, I declare utter bullsh#t. I'm 245; I don't look it. Sure, I've got a paunch, and sure, I need to work out more. But I'm past the point of caring, because I've done some beautiful cosplays, and made a lot of friends. And I love what I do. So, my dear, please, come join us. We need some more folks with meat on their bones.
quiltedninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 10:33 PM   #21
Killer_Bandit
King

Haha yup there's definitely discrimination against heavy people, I should know hehe... The main problem I have with heavy people cosplaying is sometimes the outfits they choose are very revealing.

So my advice either cosplay someone that's fully clothed or get in shape.
Unread 06-17-2012, 01:07 AM   #22
gntree

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilSkittles View Post
Everyone has already talked about being yourself and doing what you want, but I'll throw in my thoughts.
I say the key is confidence, if you project confidence you will have few problems. Now I'm new to cosplay but I've always made a big deal out of Halloween, even been featured on the news throughout the years.

I wore this Ms. Mad Hatter costume, with striped tights and a real top hat, to movie day at my highschool.
http://images.halloweencostumes.org/...stume-zoom.jpg

Now we all know that highschool is a very judgemental place but I knew I looked good and others picked up on that.

In essence I'm saying you just do what you want and be confident in yourself.
oh my gosh, you look amazing in that costume!!!!!!!
gntree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 05:03 AM   #23
Miss-Kagamine

Yeah, i guess i fall into the catagory of not liking large cosplayers(As i am not large, a bit underweight) But i keep my opinions to myself. What is like is when Larger people choose a costume that fits their build like the picture above, it really makes me cringe when someone is way too big to cosplay someone in a skin tight outfit. Like really big people cosplaying Sailor Moon, no offence to anyone who does this is just my opinion.
Miss-Kagamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 12:39 PM   #24
SovietKitten

I love how this thread has people saying that they don't like heavier cosplayers,but don't give a legitimate reason? Lulz.
Luckily MOST of these posts are supportive. But it's a bit disheartening to see people flat out say they hate heavier cosplayers.
Sorry,but I'll do what I want.
SovietKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 02:18 PM   #25
dollylovey123

I won't lie, costume and looks are key in cosplay. Though the best cosplayers I've ever seen or met had the attitude of each character they were playing. The attitude and the way you strut your confidence is the ultimate thing in cosplaying anyone. As long as people can tell who you are and love who you are after seeing you do your thing, you will be a wonderful cosplayer.
dollylovey123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 05:14 PM   #26
Domos
Lurker

I don't think it matters. I began cosplaying when I was a good deal overweight and I've never recieved any flak for it, not even at my heaviest. And while I can't say I wore the costume with any sort of confidence, I still had fun and it opened up a new world of friends for me. Basically, don't care about the nay-sayers and go do whatever you want. Most likely it will turn out to be a positive experience!

I certainly never 'fit' into the cosplays I choose, mostly because I like to crossplay, and most of them being rather tall guys, which never fits with my height anyway. Didn't stop me from making friends with a person who cosplayed from the same anime, despite I cosplayed a character she utterly hates.

As mentioned before, just go with the flow. Be yourself, and pick a character you'll enjoy walking around as.
Domos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2012, 05:09 PM   #27
Shinigamiyoko
Heart-Throbbing Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasiphilo View Post
I'm sure I'm echoing what most commenters have already said, but just to reiterate: cosplay is for the fun of it. We don't need to audition and no one pays us. Do what you want, how you want, and ignore the "haters" (who are rare, in my experience).

I would also add that cosplay preparation has been a most effective weightloss motivator for me, so if you are feeling self-concsious about your weight, harness that concern into a positive lifestyle change; losing weight yields benefits far beyond cosplay, as I learned myself.
Agreed. I used to be heavier, but took cosplay as a motivator and lost 30 lbs. I'm now at a healthy weight, although I'm still looking to trim a few inches.
I'm going with the majority here though, in terms of cosplay. Although I think it's good for health reasons to achieve a healthy weight, I don't particularly mind if a cosplayer is overweight.
Regardless of whether you're underweight/overweight/healthy/etc, if you're cosplaying a character from a series I like, I'm still internally fangirling over the fact that you like "insert series here" too.

Day 0 - Rumia (Touhou)
Day 1 - Noumi Kudryavka ~summer~ (Little Busters!)
Day 2 - Nonon Jakuzure ~middle school~ (Kill la Kill)
Day 3 - Sukuna Shinmyoumaru (Touhou)
Day 4 - Miku Hatsune ~arifureta sekai seifuku~ (Vocaloid)
Shinigamiyoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 10:40 AM   #28
10yuki01

If you're really, really upset about peoples words based on skin color.. (Personally I would say "fuck you" right to their faces..) you could try a lot of face paint! Or just be a darker version of the character even! People always theorize that there is another universe connected to ours, where our opposites live.. Why doesn't anyone ever consider that the same for anime. The writers don't have to make it a true thing for it to be a theory, what scientist went out and told us all that it's true facts for real life... And if it's theorized for real life, that another, opposite world, exists then there is another version of that anime in that world isn't there?

As for size.. Be proud of that. It's actually healthier then being a thin little twig like me, the media has brainwashed us into believing smaller is better, but it's not.

Basically; Fuck who ever is picking on you or whatever and do shit for YOURSELF. Don't lose weight because the rest of the world said you have to, the rest of the world doesn't know shit.
10yuki01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 10:52 AM   #29
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

I'm going to be honest, if you don't have a thick skin I wouldn't cosplay if you're not comfortable with the way you look.

If you get offended, offensive or emotional when people talk smack...you may want to re-think what you cosplay. Find something that makes you feel confident and proud; so, the one person who is an asshat says something stupid it will bounce off of you.

Last edited by mokulen22 : 06-28-2012 at 11:49 AM.
mokulen22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 11:37 AM   #30
Mikuxaz

If I can, I'd like to tell a personal story....

I'm a fat girl, I'll admit it. I'm not ashamed of the word. I'm 22-years-old, 5'7" tall and weigh 250lbs. But I'm also a talented seamstress and an awesome budget cosplayer (I seriously take pride in how much money I can save while still making an accurate costume). I take pride in my costumes. I cosplayed my absolute favorite Doctor Who character, Donna Noble, last year at several local conventions. I'm actually fairly noted in the local community for my Donna costume. But a few months after the conventions, a friend of mine posted some pictures of myself and my friend (a freakin' gorgeous 5'9" and supermodel skinny Rose Tyler!) on her deviantArt. She didn't do it maliciously, but she did it without permission. And unfortunately, some people commented on the pictures about how Donna needed to "lay off the donuts". Somehow, at age 22, I've been the victim of cyber-bullying. Seriously? I cried for days after that. I was so ashamed of myself. If my costume hadn't been stolen at a convention (that's another story...), I probably would have tossed it out.

The only people that know about this and how it truly affected me are my sister, my Rose Tyler, and the friend that posted the picture (well, and all of you lovely people). And all three of them told me what I'm telling you now-- no one is allowed to make you feel lesser. DO NOT GIVE THEM THAT POWER OVER YOU! You can cosplay who you want, when you want. It doesn't matter if you're 100lbs or 500lbs, 4'11" or 6'2". Cosplay the characters that you love. If you feel like you need to lose weight, do it for you and not for the sake of others. I'm personally trying to lose weight, though all I've managed to do is maintain (that's a pretty amazing feat considering I work in a donut shop-- irony, I know). My friends are helping me and encouraging me to work out. I want to be healthy, but I try not to beat myself up over it. I still love myself the way I am and the way I look. I look pretty dang sexy with my curves.

Fem!Castiel (Supernatural) - 80%
The Doctor Donna (Doctor Who) - 100%
Escaped Prisoner!Poison Ivy (Batman) - 10%
SleepyTime Captain America - 100%
Casual!Twilight Sparkle (MLP) - 75%
Princess Bubblegum (Adventure Time) - 10%
Batgirl!Poison Ivy (Batman) - 25%
Donna Noble (Doctor Who) - 40%
Mikuxaz is offline   Reply With Quote