Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > A-Kon

Unread 07-07-2012, 04:58 PM   #1
Celyddon
Co-Host of CosPod

Hilton Anatole

For anyone interested who has never been to the Anatole, I went there today and took a series of photos. I've also added in notes and such about the hotel; I had a very good guide. Hopefully I'll be back in about a month at QuakeCon to get the rest of the photos.

http://youtu.be/xrZMJ4PhsYg

That's my little montage of photos with commentary. I'm getting better at photography, at least.

My ultimate goal, if A-Kon plans to stay at the Anatole, is to combine the floor plan maps with photos so that new people know what each area actually looks like, in a sort of 'interactive map' fashion. Sometimes my ambition is greater than my talent.
Celyddon is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-08-2012, 12:11 AM   #2
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Thanks for the video! I had looked at the pictures on the site, but this helped even more. Now I know that my friend and I have to do Bride of the Water God cosplay next year. That hotel is perfect for pictures from that series.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2012, 12:17 AM   #3
Celyddon
Co-Host of CosPod

Glad it helped. Hopefully I will finish the rest of the hotel photos when/if I head to QuakeCon in a month.

There's a few spots that really appeal to certain series (InuYasha, Record of Lodoss War, Avatar: the Last Airbender, etc)--it's a really, really good hotel for cosplay photoshoots. I was dancing with glee. I may have to change my cosplay lineup just for the scenery!
Unread 07-08-2012, 12:36 AM   #4
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

We saw the first few pictures and started planning costumes accordingly. I might have a guy friend set up to cosplay Clow with me if I do Yuuko, so another great pair for the location! And maybe a new set of Kuroshitsuji costumes would look good there too. Too many costumes for a single weekend!
Unread 07-08-2012, 09:24 AM   #5
B.O.M.
Bank of Mom

Great video, Amber! I knew it was going to be nice, but it's been YEARS since I've gone to any events at the Anatole.

Kayle (IntoxicatedPeng) - Drocell Keinz (Kuroshitsuji), Yuki Onna (Nurarihyon no Mago), 8th Doctor (Doctor Who), Soul Eater Evans (Soul Eater), Lucy (Fairy Tail) - Also attending Gallifrey One 25
Mara - Lulu (FFX), adult Nel (Bleach), Hagoromo Gitsune (Nurarihyon no Mago) WITH Baby Moogle, Trystan
Me - Mary Poppins, The Woman (Doctor Who, The End of Time), Sibylline Sisterhood (Doctor Who)

Photos
DA
Blog
B.O.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2012, 09:21 PM   #6
ThakYuki
Kittysaurus Rex!

As you mentioned in your video, it is VERY easy to get lost inside the hotel. I'll be at Quake and can take more pictures/videos and send them to you.

Thank you for completely removing my signature without emailing me that it was too long.
ThakYuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2012, 10:15 PM   #7
Celyddon
Co-Host of CosPod

Thank you ThakYuki! That'd be great.

Hopefully A-Kon will have signs up pointing to where things are. I can probably find my way around now, but in another 11 months I'll likely forget everything.
Unread 07-14-2012, 09:16 PM   #8
Celyddon
Co-Host of CosPod

We're going back up to the Anatole tomorrow for more pictures. Hopefully we'll have them uploaded soon.
Unread 07-15-2012, 01:54 AM   #9
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

You are too awesome for doing this. Thank you so much!
Unread 07-15-2012, 10:20 AM   #10
Celyddon
Co-Host of CosPod

No problem--I consider this part of my Complete Guide as well as photography practice. Hopefully we won't cause trouble for the hotel. If I'm lucky we might be able to get some answers from the hotel concierge like how paying for parking works and where the restaurants are in the hotel.
Unread 07-15-2012, 03:28 PM   #11
tifaia
~Pimp Hat +1~

Here is my post for the outdoor area and possible photo locations for unofficial gatherings:

http://www.a-kon.com/forums/viewtopi...p=44724#p44723

Working on the interior and making both interactive!
~ CosPod - A Cosplay Podcast for Everyone
~ The Geek Spot: All Things Geek Chic. Personal Blog.
~ Flickr Photostream ~ TifaIA Cosplay on Facebook ~ DeviantArt
tifaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 04:33 PM   #12
angelbabycakes
Scorchcake

This guide is so helpful! Thanks so much for putting all the time and effort into it thus far and in the future that I know you will.

I am excited to go to this hotel, but I do worry about all the pretty sculptures and now the fish with the rowdy convention. I hope people can behave themselves in a manner that does not endanger the fish pr any of the beautiful artwork and landscaping!
angelbabycakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 04:49 PM   #13
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbabycakes View Post
This guide is so helpful! Thanks so much for putting all the time and effort into it thus far and in the future that I know you will.

I am excited to go to this hotel, but I do worry about all the pretty sculptures and now the fish with the rowdy convention. I hope people can behave themselves in a manner that does not endanger the fish pr any of the beautiful artwork and landscaping!
I agree with you on everything!

This guide is awesome for everyone wanting to get to know the hotel!

And I do hope that the people attending the con act like civilized human beings and don't do anything to ruin the beautiful hotel or get the con into trouble. Though, there are always "those" attendees...
Unread 07-15-2012, 06:34 PM   #14
Celyddon
Co-Host of CosPod

And HOLYMOTHEROFCOSPLAYMYHEADHURTS. But hey, this is all for the sake of A-Kon and its attendees.

Here's a map. Have fun with it. It's 67MB. Download it. Feel free to pass it on. Also, feel free to thank CosPod for its contribution of this map.

Instructions:

I suggest viewing this at 100% or 125% zoom. You do not have to sign in or have a Google account. The file is public.

Mouse over a pin to see the comment briefly.

Click on a pin to select it and see the comment. Click anywhere else to de-select the pin (comment will hide).

Double click on a pin to see the associated photo of that area. We took A LOT OF PHOTOS.

**EDIT** Map has been removed at the request of A-Kon's community managers.

Last edited by Celyddon : 07-16-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Unread 07-16-2012, 06:16 PM   #15
Shoji-Aoyama
Dual Wielding Nikonian

certainly appreciate the post and the effort made to get some info out but all the captions on SIZE are tempting me to get boots on the ground and get my own recon done on my next day off ... maybe even break out the video rig for a walkthrough vid :/

Upcoming: