Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-17-2015, 02:41 PM   #1
haski
Haski

I Have A Story And I Need Big Help To Decide If I Should Get Into Cosplaying

Hello there! So after days of procrastination, I finally decided to write this (Don't get me wrong, I was looking forward to actually doing it, but I'm just a.. Super procrastinator .-.)(Right away, this might insult some people, just because of past me, so I'm really sorry if you do, I don't think that way at all anymore. Also this might seem bit messy, sorry for that as well, my mind is just as messed up now).

Just a fast introduction: I'm 16 years old student from Lithuania that loves video games and apparently - cosplay.

Anyways, here is my little story, basically I started playing game called league of legends again after a break and I came up to this little guy, called "GNAR" (press for image). I'm one of those guys that you wouldn't expect to go "ooh" over stuff like that, but this.. This little guy from a game just turned my mind around..

For the next couple of days I was looking all kinds of fan arts of him and then I came accross a picture of my friend and a gnar cosplayer @GameCon. Once again "ooh" followed and I'm pretty sure it twisted my mind so well, that I couldn't recover until now (8-10 days).

Now to explain why did this twist my mind. I was the one to not care about fashion, I liked simple clothes, nothing "out of order". I didn't give a cookie (cough) about my appearance, neither did I care if I'm cute, cool etc. People that cosplayed, men that applied make up and so just seemed strange (here is the part I might insult a lot of people, well clearly just as I got into this stuff, these stereotypes dissapeard.). I can't really explain it, but I was kind of against it and just thought that I would never do it/want to do it.

Well guess what, back to the picture of gnar cosplayer. I thought "Man, I think I want to cosplay him", then I litterally had conversation with myself about how crazy am I, but how much do I want it. (Am I going insane ). So the "gnar"-me won and I started researching facts about cosplaying.

And that research just made my cosplay thoughts even stronger. I understood that this community is insanely friendly. I'm almost sure to find people with similar interests as mine (Which unfortunately didn't happen in my life yet, let's say I don't really like drinking alcohol or smoking stuff, just to have company.). I understood that it could be my very-main hobby, aight I kind of dislike sewing and crafting, but I'm pretty sure it will change if I do it for the thing I like. Once again the community would just increase the happyness from this hobby, and I might just as well find friends that I enjoy being with? (At least what I read in forums, most of your friends are other cosplayers, aren't they ^^).

Aight this got bit messy already, sorry.

As of today, I'm in this position: I know I would just love it if I can pull it off, but I'm very unsure if I will be successful in everything as there is a lot of stuff that I would've never thought of doing and thus I have no experience with (Past me). So I will make list of pros and cons:

Pros:
+ Friendly and helpful community, that you would just love to be a part of.
+ I could find a lot people with similar interests, who might just as well become my best friends.
+ I would learn how to sew, craft, as well as a lot of patience (hopefully)
+ I would get to be characters that I love.
+ Would have a hobby that I would love to do./Would have where to spend my time.
+ I'm quite shy, I;m pretty sure knowing that other people doesn't know me, would help me to become more self confident.
+ Pretty sure if I could pull it off ther moral boost in my mind would be telling me that I'm capable of almost anything, plus the feeling of independence from parents, as they would for sure not drop me off at the con which is across the baltic sea, so I would have to get there and so alone.
+ All of the stuff I can't remember now, but pretty sure there was more.
Cons:
- Money, I'm still studying so there is clearly no way for me to get a full time job that would be more than a minimum wage, which is 270 euros a month, but with part time job, it's probably getting a cut in half..
- Shyness, once again, I'm quite shy, so I would need to step it up even tho I know that they don't know me.
- Perfectionism, this one is probably one of the biggest ones, why I don't want to do it. I'm prefectionist, which would mean I will never be happy with my first costumes + if something goes wrong I will either try to fix it or just get really upset about it and ditch everything. + Other people with same costumes will seem to get it better than me, which would just straigth up crush my confidence.
- Caring about public opinion, I know my indentity would be hidden, I know people at con, even if they think my costume is not as good, they wouldn't care about it too much. But once again, my confidence would be crushed if I think I'm not as cool/cute/etc. as the character and thus if people wouldn't really come up to me, I would just think I made an epic fail and probably want to go to the ground for the rest of the con and probably for the rest of the year.
- Public Opinion in Lithuania, which more or less means my friends, Even tho I don't feel too big of a connection to them, I wouldn't want to become a "school freak" because of this. (once again, no insult towards neither one of you, it's me from the past still having a voice in my head.)
- Now the last one wouldn't be a problem if I find those new friends in the con, but it's Lithuania, not that many people are used to the western traditions yetm which means people that cosplays here is a really small group and the events like these, are just straigth up small and kind of akward .-.). Which would lead to:
- Feeling lonely while making a costume. If I don't find anyone from my country to talk about the costumes with/do the together/any kind of other connection. It would probably feel very lonely to be making it for such a long time (I mean from my research it clearly takes couple of straigth days to finish a costume.?)
- Sewing and crafting, at least for now feels really boring and unfun, but I hope this would change if I work towards a goal that I actually want to achieve.
- Family. One of my grandma is homophobic (Well not strange, Lithuania was a part of the Soviet Union earlier), I love her, but I don't think she would understand my actions of dressing up and would probably think that I'm either.. (Once again, no insults towards any of you, this is my very own atmosphere, which is quite akward to be in) gay or transvestite. My parents would probably just laugh their as-ses off as they usually do if I say something stupid or so, which led to my shyness being even deeper (Bad parenting? Maybe, but I don't think they know that they are actually harming me, because I tend to keep that for myself and only smile off that akward scene.). We just moved into the new house so once again, no support on money side either. And I doubt they will want to let me out to go alone until I'm 18 anyways.

Eh sorry if I made it bit negative to read, I really didn't want to. But with this decision to make, I don't know what to think, what to choose and so on. Just as I think about it I want to throw up (Sounds lame eh?). But I know that if I don't try it I will probably regret it hard in no time. If you would tell me your stories or maybe some thoughts of what should I/would you do here, it would be more than awesome, I'm open for any suggestions and I would love to have some conversations with ya guys.

Now the last part, I have some questions about the core stuff of cons and cosplaying and stuff like that.

1) Is it appropiate to cosplay as a animal-styled character, if you are male and that character is usually cosplayed by girls because of the cuteness. (This is once again my case about gnar, I really want to cosplay him, but it feels wrong (Cought, past me is talking again), because it;s key factor is cuteness and he is usually getting cosplayed by girls. For Example, Here.
2) Are bracelets and anklets appropiate/usual for cosplayers that are male?
3) Umm this sounded really strange when I first wrote it. This one is particular for gnar/my case. Now I'm quite tall 186 and my face is more of vertical shaped than usual (+pimples). How to achieve that gnar's cuteness for me as a male? Make up? Maybe you could find somekind of tutorial that you would recommend using to "make my face cutier" (Da hell, I find this question really creepy, hopefully you won't get insulted QQ)
4) What do people do at cons?
5) What do cosplayers do at cons? Do you just chill in one place or walk around the expos too?
6) Well this one will be more of social question. How do cosplayers approach other cosplayers if they want to talk with them? (It would be awesome to hear a story if you have one @How did you became friends with a person from con, did you talked about costumes and exchanged contact info or did you agreed to walk around together and talked about stuff. Strange questions, I know, sorry).
7) Tips for the first con? (Maybe go w/o cosplay at first or something like that.)
8) I will probably have a lot more questions later.

If you weren't creeped out by my answers yet, maybe I could add you to my friends' list and ask the questions that just randomly pops up to my head? If so please let me know so under your answer, or send me a PM with contact infos that you prefer to use

Best wishes,
Haski
haski is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-17-2015, 05:29 PM   #2
haski
Haski

Forums only let me post 10000 letters, so here is the end of it .-.:

Just as I promised, thread is messy, probably really creepy and bit negative. Also it feels very much like I'm using the friendlyness of you all to actually answer these kind of answers and help me out with the decision, sorry for that I really didn't mean to do so at all, I'm just really confused about everything right now and hopefully your answers will help me to find a right path. Whatsoever, thanks for everyone who read it and who are willing to help out, I really apprechiate every single one of you <3.
Unread 08-17-2015, 06:49 PM   #3
idleEscapist

Firstly I want to say, welcome to this wonderful craft!! Now to answer some of your questions.

1) you can cosplay whoever you want, however you want. Just because the character is typically cosplayed in a specific way, doesn't mean you need to fit that specific image to also have a wonderful cosplay. For Gnar, you could go full fursuit, or you could do a similar humanized cosplay, even as a male.

2) I wouldn't say they are usual for male cosplayers, but they are definitely appropriate.

3) I don't really feel qualified to answer this one as I have no experience with male faces, but perhaps checking out the crossplay or makeup subforums will help you work something out.

4) there are many things to do at cons! You can check out video rooms, panels on topics relevant to your interests, or just generally hang out with new friends or wander around and meet other cosplayers! Closer to the convention's actual date, usually about the weekend before, the con schedule will be available to the public, and you can take a look to figure out what kind of things you want to check out.

5) please see my answer to #4! Additionally, the con you go to may have a photo booth you can check out and get pro photos of you in your costume.

6) most of the time when I make new friends, it's because they're wearing costumes from the same thing that I am (because obviously we have at least one thing in common!) I actually made some pretty cool friends at one of the cons I usually go to because we were cosplaying from the same game, and I asked if I could hang out (as I was at the con pretty much by myself), and we had a pretty good weekend together =3. I ended up hanging out with them the following year as well.

7) many people have asked this already, so there are a ton of threads about it already, if you care to do a search. My only advice: sleep, eat, and bathe regularly. Lack of sleep and food at a con is not fun, as you will not be able to enjoy yourself if all you can think of is crawling back into bed or the rumbling of your tummy. And being stinky is not fun for the rest of us, because we don't want to be smelling stale sweat and BO. Also, be prepared for costume malfunctions! Most cons nowadays have a repair room, but not all of them, so bring thread, glue, paint, etc. that you used for your costume so you can make repairs if you need to. Also, safety pins.

I hope this helps you decide what to do! There are so many helpful people on this site, and we all care about making the best costumes we can, so please ask as many questions as you need to! There are specific subforums for getting help on different parts of a costume, so please be sure to post in the correct forum to get the best answers possible, and be sure to post pictures of the costume you have questions about. With that, I wish you good luck!
Unread 08-17-2015, 10:03 PM   #4
Magyarita
Profound Historical Youth

1) Yes. Gender/sex, size, race/ethnicity, etc. do not matter when it comes to cosplay. You can cosplay whoever you want to.

2) I don't normally see guys wearing bracelets or anklets, but if you want to it's 100% fine.

3) I don't know how to do makeup on men either, but I'm sure the crossplay section and youtube would have tutorials on how to hide your pimples and to round out your face a bit.

4) I don't know about Lithuania, but in the US there are usually gaming rooms, one for tabletop games and one for video games. Sometimes there are special "celebrity" guests who come. There is usually an artist's alley where artists can sell handmade crafts, and a dealer's room where official fan merchandise is sold. There are panels too. (Which are anything from "how to ___", talking about a fandom, question and answer sessions with special guests or cosplayers roleplaying characters, games, karaoke, tea parties, or anything else.)

5) Depends on what you want to do. Some people like to chill, others like to go around and do things.

6) It's fairly easy for me. I start out by complimenting their costume. If I recognize it, I'll talk about the fandom with that person. If not, I'll ask them what it is and they can tell me all about it. Then I let the conversation go on from there.

You asked for it, so here's story time!

I first met my boyfriend at a con back in 2011. I was hanging out with someone I'd met that day and she let me borrow her yaoi paddle. (Those were the days when you could still have those at cons, lol.) She was holding a "FREE HUGS" sign, and he came up to her for a hug. Since I was an immature 14-year-old, I asked him if he wanted a smack with the paddle too. He said yes, I smacked him, and he went on his way.

Then we met at another con in 2012, goofed around for a bit, and then kept running into each other at other events. I fell in love with him, then he fell in love with me, and now we've been dating almost 2 1/2 years. (And the funny thing is, my first thought when I saw him is that he would never get a girlfriend. Oh, the irony.)

7) Shower, eat 3 meals a day, sleep well, and drink lots of water. Always ask people before touching their costume or props, and ask before taking a picture of someone. And have fun!

Vault Boy -- Fallout
Benny Gecko: Fallout: New Vegas
Momoko Koigakubo: Ghost Stories (Dub)
Daenerys Targaryen (Dothraki outfit): GoT
Cameron Van Buren -- MPGiS
Malory Archer: Archer
Deandra: MPGiS
Kamala Khan: Ms. Marvel
Vader Eloha/The Queen: OFF
Princess Suwa: Mascot of the city of Suwa, Japan

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/annikaskisses
Sewing blog: http://www.annikakisskisses.blogspot.com
Magyarita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2015, 05:30 AM   #5
haski
Haski

Quote:
Firstly I want to say, welcome to this wonderful craft!! Now to answer some of your questions.

1) you can cosplay whoever you want, however you want. Just because the character is typically cosplayed in a specific way, doesn't mean you need to fit that specific image to also have a wonderful cosplay. For Gnar, you could go full fursuit, or you could do a similar humanized cosplay, even as a male.

2) I wouldn't say they are usual for male cosplayers, but they are definitely appropriate.

3) I don't really feel qualified to answer this one as I have no experience with male faces, but perhaps checking out the crossplay or makeup subforums will help you work something out.

4) there are many things to do at cons! You can check out video rooms, panels on topics relevant to your interests, or just generally hang out with new friends or wander around and meet other cosplayers! Closer to the convention's actual date, usually about the weekend before, the con schedule will be available to the public, and you can take a look to figure out what kind of things you want to check out.

5) please see my answer to #4! Additionally, the con you go to may have a photo booth you can check out and get pro photos of you in your costume.

6) most of the time when I make new friends, it's because they're wearing costumes from the same thing that I am (because obviously we have at least one thing in common!) I actually made some pretty cool friends at one of the cons I usually go to because we were cosplaying from the same game, and I asked if I could hang out (as I was at the con pretty much by myself), and we had a pretty good weekend together =3. I ended up hanging out with them the following year as well.

7) many people have asked this already, so there are a ton of threads about it already, if you care to do a search. My only advice: sleep, eat, and bathe regularly. Lack of sleep and food at a con is not fun, as you will not be able to enjoy yourself if all you can think of is crawling back into bed or the rumbling of your tummy. And being stinky is not fun for the rest of us, because we don't want to be smelling stale sweat and BO. Also, be prepared for costume malfunctions! Most cons nowadays have a repair room, but not all of them, so bring thread, glue, paint, etc. that you used for your costume so you can make repairs if you need to. Also, safety pins.

I hope this helps you decide what to do! There are so many helpful people on this site, and we all care about making the best costumes we can, so please ask as many questions as you need to! There are specific subforums for getting help on different parts of a costume, so please be sure to post in the correct forum to get the best answers possible, and be sure to post pictures of the costume you have questions about. With that, I wish you good luck!
Thanks for the answer and welcoming! (Is this even a word?) I will probably do a humanized cosplay as the full fursuit would probably be too hard to make as for my first cosplay.

Quote:
1) Yes. Gender/sex, size, race/ethnicity, etc. do not matter when it comes to cosplay. You can cosplay whoever you want to.

2) I don't normally see guys wearing bracelets or anklets, but if you want to it's 100% fine.

3) I don't know how to do makeup on men either, but I'm sure the crossplay section and youtube would have tutorials on how to hide your pimples and to round out your face a bit.

4) I don't know about Lithuania, but in the US there are usually gaming rooms, one for tabletop games and one for video games. Sometimes there are special "celebrity" guests who come. There is usually an artist's alley where artists can sell handmade crafts, and a dealer's room where official fan merchandise is sold. There are panels too. (Which are anything from "how to ___", talking about a fandom, question and answer sessions with special guests or cosplayers roleplaying characters, games, karaoke, tea parties, or anything else.)

5) Depends on what you want to do. Some people like to chill, others like to go around and do things.

6) It's fairly easy for me. I start out by complimenting their costume. If I recognize it, I'll talk about the fandom with that person. If not, I'll ask them what it is and they can tell me all about it. Then I let the conversation go on from there.

You asked for it, so here's story time!

I first met my boyfriend at a con back in 2011. I was hanging out with someone I'd met that day and she let me borrow her yaoi paddle. (Those were the days when you could still have those at cons, lol.) She was holding a "FREE HUGS" sign, and he came up to her for a hug. Since I was an immature 14-year-old, I asked him if he wanted a smack with the paddle too. He said yes, I smacked him, and he went on his way.

Then we met at another con in 2012, goofed around for a bit, and then kept running into each other at other events. I fell in love with him, then he fell in love with me, and now we've been dating almost 2 1/2 years. (And the funny thing is, my first thought when I saw him is that he would never get a girlfriend. Oh, the irony.)

7) Shower, eat 3 meals a day, sleep well, and drink lots of water. Always ask people before touching their costume or props, and ask before taking a picture of someone. And have fun!
Thanks for the answer and your story! Coincidence and irony definetely makes it epic Just for the side note, Lithuania clearly doesn't have a big fan base over these kind of things at all, so the only event we have is comic weekend, which usually ends up being a bit akward .-. I would probably target dreamhack @Sweden.

Here comes some additional questions:

8) If I'm to do humanized version of gnar, the clothes he wears doesn't really cover too much of body at all. Are there any kind of tricks how to make the cosplay seem more cover-heavy? At first I thought it would be anklets and bracelets but I guess they are not quite used by males. I thought about the red ribbon. Also are these called shorts or do they have other kind of name? (Hopefully you understand which part do I mean.)
9) This is more for the people who attends DreamHack, if there are any. Is League Of Legends cosplays usual there because it associates more with a cs:go or something similar?
Unread 08-18-2015, 07:30 AM   #6
Syon
leads the crusade

What you do at a convention depends on what the convention has to offer. At Gamescom (com, not con!) one would do other things than at some random animeconventions.
Unread 08-19-2015, 03:18 AM   #7
idleEscapist

If what you're worried about is showing off too much skin, or potentially flashing bits you don't want others to see, look into nude dance tights or a nude body suit. Also, please don't feel discouraged about wearing anklets/bracelets just because it's not typical! I personally feel they would add a lot of oomph to your costume. Or, instead of doing anklets/bracelets, do arm and leg warmers instead.
Unread 08-19-2015, 02:47 PM   #8
belligerent
Viking Metal

Labas! I'm on mobile right now so I'll write a longer reply when I'm at an actual computer, but I just wanted to welcome you to the forum. I'm American but of Lithuanian descent. My dad was raised pretty traditionally Lithuanian so I may or may not have good advice about some of the cultural things. Either way, welcome!
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Poland, England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite, Sha Gojyo, Prussia, Shintaro Midorima
Dudes I will be eventually: Guts, Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2015, 05:14 PM   #9
haski
Haski

Quote:
Originally Posted by idleEscapist View Post
If what you're worried about is showing off too much skin, or potentially flashing bits you don't want others to see, look into nude dance tights or a nude body suit. Also, please don't feel discouraged about wearing anklets/bracelets just because it's not typical! I personally feel they would add a lot of oomph to your costume. Or, instead of doing anklets/bracelets, do arm and leg warmers instead.
I actually did wanted to go for the anklets/bracelets, but I'm too scared that some people might think that I'm *cough* really strange for wearing them (Here, the old me gets to talk again). So thanks for the tips and encouragement, I really needed them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by belligerent View Post
Labas! I'm on mobile right now so I'll write a longer reply when I'm at an actual computer, but I just wanted to welcome you to the forum. I'm American but of Lithuanian descent. My dad was raised pretty traditionally Lithuanian so I may or may not have good advice about some of the cultural things. Either way, welcome!
Sveikas! Awesome to find someone with lithuanian blood over here I will most definetely wait for your reply and a big thanks for the welcoming! ^^

Additional questions:
Just wanted to tell a big thanks to those who actually found time to read and answer this messy story of mine. I appreciate it very much.

10) What should I learn before getting into cosplaying? I would guess that I should learn sewing at least at medium level before I start? Are there any more ? (Or maybe even learn to use somekind of tools for the crafting?)
11) What are the tools that makes your cosplay-making easier? (For example, like sewing machine )

Thanks once again!
Unread 08-25-2015, 05:12 PM   #10
haski
Haski

Still waiting for help if possible!
Unread 08-26-2015, 12:45 AM   #11
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by haski View Post
10) What should I learn before getting into cosplaying? I would guess that I should learn sewing at least at medium level before I start? Are there any more ? (Or maybe even learn to use somekind of tools for the crafting?)
11) What are the tools that makes your cosplay-making easier? (For example, like sewing machine )

Thanks once again!
It's definitely good to have basic sewing skills and a little crafty/prop knowledge (like some painting, jewellery, woodwork, etc., skills that aren't sewing but you make things), but there's no "standard" skill level to start at. You'll have an easier time at it the more you know but we were ALL beginners once. If you want to start out and haven't sewn before, I recommend;
-See what you can find out of a secondhand shop or clothing shop that looks kind of like what you want to make. You can do alterations like shortening sleeves, or adding decoration, or changing a collar, pretty easily and often by hand. As an example, I made this crazy jacket out of two thrift-store shirts and a bunch of trim and decoration and such. You couldn't really tell when I was done that it used to be two plain longsleeved shirts! I only spent one afternoon shopping for them and found a perfect "hood" fabric from a $1 t-shirt too that I just had to take apart to use, and got some other pieces too while I was out at the time. http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2700577/ And the only thing I used a sewing machine on was the brown "flaps". This can also teach you a bit about how clothing "fits" by being able to look at how it's put together while you're altering it. It taught me a LOT for when I started fully sewing all my stuff from scratch.

-Learn some basic hand stitches (running stitch, back stitch, and whipstitch are the most common, and sewing on buttons and hooks and other fasteners). If nobody's available to teach you in person it's very easy to search online for a tutorials. Practice on a scrap of cheap cloth a little until you can sew (mostly) straight and consistent sized stitches, and then you're good to go.

-Ironing! You'll need to iron ("press") when you sew. And when you take your costume out to wear it. Any working clothes iron will do (I press and iron with an old thing from the 1980's, it doesn't even hold water, I use a wet teatowel overtop of the fabric for when I need steam), just make sure it's not all gross on the bottom so it won't stain your fabric. You don't even NEED an ironing board, just a flat table will usually work on most things.

-If you feel more ambitious or can't find anything that looks kind of close to what you want in a shop, ask for some sewing lessons with a sewing machine. If you don't have a family member or a friend who can teach you, try asking at somewhere like a college or a fabric store if they have classes. Still no luck and can't take a lesson anywhere? Then when you get a sewing machine, read the manual thoroughly and look up some more tutorials on the internet, and some books from the library. I went to fashion school eventually, but most of my initial sewing knowledge came from using books and picture tutorials, if it wasn't my mom teaching me. Use beginner/easy sewing patterns and make some little simple things like a bag or pyjama bottoms to get used to how to use patterns and using the machine (the first thing I made on one, back in 2007, was this very very very inaccurate yukata. It was mostly rectangles and lines and needed no fancy fitting, so it was a great beginner project and then I had fun embroidering it. http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1577664/ )

-You'll definitely want to learn about things like wig styling, making props, and so on, as cosplay isn't just sewing things. We've got lots of FAQ threads on the forums here.

-Makeup! Yes, even for men. You don't need to be an expert. Just a bit of powder or foundation to make your face not look shiny on the camera, and a little concealer for things like pimples or dark circles, will do wonders.

And when your cosplay is coming together, practice how to pose! It's real embarassing when you can't think of a way to pose when someone wants your picture, or the pose you thought was cool looks AWFUL on camera.

...now for tools? Well, having had fashion school education and working as a freelance seamstress/comissioner, I have a LOT of tools that a lot of beginners probably wouldn't need. But these are a few of my any-level-can-use-it favourites, minus my sewing machine:
-Pinking shears. Finishing your fabric edges to keep from fraying is important- fraying will make your costume fall apart eventually and look sloppy. Since English isn't your first language, pinking shears look like this with zig-zag edges on the blade. http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/x/pinki...rs-6050438.jpg You can just barely see what it cuts like in this photo here, and a simple hem made by cutting with it and folding it under and sewing it . http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3541557/ (On that note, always put hems, even if just a simple fold under and handsewing it in place, on the edges of your costume, like on sleeves or pants. Having raw edges never looks good unless your costume is supposed to be all raggedy).
-A drafting ruler. It's clear plastic, 18 inches long, and has a huge amount of measurement markings that make it super easy to measure things and make patterns. They're pretty easy to find since they're used in more than just sewing.
-A set square. Basically, it's a big plastic triangle that I use to measure right angles and make sure things are straight. I'm TERRIBLE at keeping long lines straight when I draw them out, so do I ever use it.
-Tailor's chalk/pencil. Great for marking things like where to put a button or "Front/back" and it's designed to wash out. Any sewing store should have it and it's pretty cheap. SOMETIMES you can use coloured pencil but it may not wash out, so only if you're sure it won't be visible when you're done.
-GOOD SCISSORS. You're not going to cut fabric very well with kitchen scissors. Once you're into this hobby enough to decide it's worth having some good equipment, buy a good pair of proper fabric/tailor shears. Mine are heavy, metal and very sharp, and quite long, and do they ever make it easy to cut out fabric. And when you get your own fabric scissors, ONLY use them on sewing materials so they stay sharp longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3

Last edited by ShinobiXikyu : 08-26-2015 at 12:57 AM.
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote