Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 02-08-2015, 04:39 PM   #1
Ilafatyu
That guy

How far do you go for supplies?

After hearing from one of my friends that she has to drive an hour to get to the nearest fabric store, it struck me how lucky I am that there's a Joann's less than two minutes from my school. How far do you guys have to travel to get fabric and supplies?

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Soren (Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn) - 3%
Vaati (LoZ Minish Cap) - 2%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-08-2015, 04:52 PM   #2
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

Dang, driving an hour eats more gas money than you'd pay in shipping. I don't usually go much further than the internet.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Your Mother [Debbie Does Dallas XXIII] (8%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2015, 04:54 PM   #3
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Depends..The Joanns in my city is a 15min walk from my house (including stopping for crosswalk lights lol). And that's walking just at a "I don't really care, I'll take my time" pace..The other one is the next city over. It's a 15-20 minute car ride. I usually go to this one..My reasoning is stated in the pet peeve thread along with a nice discussion with a few members on there lol Long story short, the one here sucks..
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts II)
-Cloud (Dissidia: Final Fantasy)
-Chandelure (Pokemon)
-Akaito (Vocaloid)
-Spirit (Soul Eater)
Jei-Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2015, 05:05 PM   #4
TitanSlayer000
Eh

For fabric and quick things like when I need more glue, I go to Joanns which is less than five minutes away. If I want to stock up on any other sort of supplies I go to AC Moore about a half hour way.
Unread 02-08-2015, 05:15 PM   #5
Padmik
mikky

15 minutes to the nearest Hancock Fabrics and Michaels, 20-ish minutes to the nearest Hobby Lobby, and 30 minutes to the nearest Joann. The Walmart near my house also has a tiny sewing section and that's like 5 minutes away. I mainly go to Hancock for fabric but if I need a larger selection, I'll go to Joann. I also to go Hobby Lobby for other supplies.

[Tumblr] [Instagram] [Wordpress]

Possible 2015 Conventions
Shatterdome Atlanta, DragonCon, Yaoi-con, AWA, GMX

2015 Cosplays
Honekoneko - PaSwG 85% | Barbara Gordon (2014) - DC 30% | GoGo Tomago - BH6 70% | Chef!Haru - Free! 0%
Asami Sato - LoK 5% | Korra - LoK 85% | Athena - Borderlands 0% | Arena!Katniss Everdeen - THG: CF 5%
Padmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2015, 05:23 PM   #6
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I live at the edge of a huge city.... and without a car (plus downtown parking is a NIGHTMARE), it takes me an hour and fifteen minutes to get to the fabric/fashion district. If I lived close to an actual subway station (I waste ten minutes walking and another fifteen on the bus) it'd be closer to 40 minutes (driving from my house takes about 40 minutes but costs $70 freaking dollars in cab fare_. So I tend to go there mostly for huge shopping trips. If I run out of one thing like thread, either tough beans I'll finish it when I need to buy fabric, or I pay Michael's overpriced prices to get it there. To Michael's, about half an hour (same crap with the walk and bus but only one stop on the subway after that). There's also a dollar store in the same mini mall that often sees me buying stuff for cosplay use. Wigs, I buy online or from dealers at cons.
Oh, and I frequently check out a big warehouse store full of fabric and sewing stuff in my bf's city. I don't take a trip out there ONLY to buy stuff, but if it counts, that's a half hour trip to the bus station and then a two hour ride to his house, and a half hour car ride from there....
Not having a car fucking sucks.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/

Last edited by ShinobiXikyu : 02-08-2015 at 05:26 PM.
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2015, 05:31 PM   #7
Jigouku Chou
Survival Horror Addict

I like to be able to feel the fabric I'm using before I buy it, so I seldom buy fabric online. Luckily the nearest fabric store is only ten minutes away, but since it's small I do sometimes have to make the thirty minute drive to the much larger Joanne's shop a few towns over.
Kingdom Hearts: Xion

NDK 2015:
Rose of Versailles: Oscar Francois de Jarjeyes
Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt: Panty
Jigouku Chou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2015, 07:22 PM   #8
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

There's "how far is my local store" and there's "how far am I willing to go?"

I'm at the fabric store at least once a week, 2-3 times a week during my busy season, so if it were any further than half an hour across the city, I wouldn't be able to do what I do. I'm very lucky that there is a Joann's about five minutes from the house, so if I have an emergency thread run, it doesn't eat time out of my schedule/all that gas.

That said, if there's something I need that I can't get online, the furthest I'll go is Minneapolis - 5 hours. There's a glorious fabric warehouse there where all fabrics are 50% off every day, so I can get suiting wools for as low as $6/yard. But that requires planning for a special trip, so I have to rule out everything else before I make a pilgrimage to SR Harris, including the internet. I have to know where to get exactly what I need - linen, spandex/pleather, and unique cottons all have a special place I go straight to if my local shops don't have it. That way, if I have to take a road trip, whether to MN or to the nearest Tandy Leather in Milwaukee, I have a damn good reason - it's my last resort, a place to look where I can feel the fabric and verify that it's the right hand, weave, and color for my project. Some things, I would rather drive and fondle in person than pay $5 for a swatch plus shipping.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2015, 07:24 PM   #9
lostsummoner
random person #27

I work at a Walmart, so I peek there first to see if what I need is there, if not I can walk to JoAnn's [in the same shopping center as my work] but if i have the option? I refuse to go to Hobby Lobby [but I will if I absolutely have to. I just don't like their options regarding birth control]. If any of those don't have what I need, online is where I go.

Back burner: Anima [FFX] 0% (figuring out HOW to make it ...)
Feel free to IM me about random crap, just be sure to tell me where you know me from
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
lostsummoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2015, 07:29 PM   #10
Maurishio-kun
You can call me Mau

Once I had to walk kilometers in the middle of the night at a relatively alone street to arrive to the only supermarket where I could find a pair of black socks. When I have to buy fabrics I have to walk all through downtown San Jose to find one of the cheapest and more varied fabric stores.

CURRENT COSPLAYS

Takuto (Full Moon wo Sagashite) 25%
Takato (Digimon Tamers) 100%
Leo (Barra - Homesport Deluxe (Original) 45%
Izumi (Digimon Frontier) 50%

"There are only two things in this world that you can't change: The star we orbit and my opinion about adults"

-Annonymous-
Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2015, 08:45 PM   #11
kendraduck09

I can't even go to Joann when I'm at school, I have to wait for whenever I go home. Even though there's a Joann nearby, there isn't a bus that goes to it, so I have no way to get to it...

Since I'm near Philadelphia, I sometimes go to Fabric Row, which is much different than what I'm used to. At home we just have Joann, but here there's so many unique stores. It's fun to just look around and see what you find.
Nishiki Nishio (Tokyo Ghoul)

Next convention: Otakon 2015

~ Tumblr ~ Cosplay Facebook ~ List of Cosplays ~

kendraduck09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2015, 03:10 AM   #12
Syon

I don't really have a distance problem, but I have to wait a lot for my stuff. Fabric market is only every 3 months or so and I often have to order things online, sometimes even from other countries.
Unread 02-09-2015, 03:26 AM   #13
kiwifruit71

There's a small fabric shop in my town that's maybe a ten minute drive from my house (if that). It's a lovely little store with nice staff but they don't have a very large range of fabrics. I usually only buy basic fabric, thread, buttons etc from them. Otherwise, I have to travel around an hour and fifteen minutes to the nearest city to get to Spotlight (similar to Joann's I guess) where I buy most of my fabric and craft materials for cosplay. I get to go there maybe once every couple of months if I'm lucky. I am however moving to a different city for university soon and there's a Spotlight not far from my place which is awesome.
kiwifruit71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2015, 03:58 AM   #14
EvilLittleKiss
Profound Historical Youth

~Walmart: 3 minutes away.
~Hancock #1: 5 minutes away, but is liquidating due to their lease not being renewed. So I'm taking advantage of everything being incredibly cheap. (Yay for 49 cent a yard printed satin!!!)
~Hobby Lobby: (No longer go here due to political reasons) 7 minutes away.
~St. Vincent de Paul Thrift Store: 7 minutes away, same parking lot as Hobby Lobby.
~Bethesda Thrift Store: 7 minutes away, just across the street from St. Vinny de Kneebreaker. (My dad's nickname for the store. He has lots of store/restaurant nicknames.)
~Joann: 10 minutes away.
~Hancock#2: 20 minutes away.
~Jackmann's Fabric: I don't normally get my cosplay stuff here since this store mainly specializes in quilting and is a bit pricey, but it's 35 minutes away.

Thank God St. Louis County has a lot of fabric/craft stores and thrift/vintage stores.

Sometimes if my boyfriend and I go on a date, I'll pick up patterns there for cosplay.
So whatever the names of the thrift/vintage shops in Belleville, IL are: 45 minute drive to boyfriend's house, then about 30 minutes of public transportation to the town, and about 10 minutes of walking.

And I have picked up cosplay supplies in Nippori Fabric Town, Tokyo.
So that would be a 2 hour flight from St. Louis to Atlanta, a 3 hour flight from Atlanta to NYC, a 13-hour flight from NYC to Narita, an hour from Narita to Tokyo, and then 35 minutes from my hostel to Nippori via the Yamanote Line.

Benny Gecko: Fallout: New Vegas
Momoko Koigakubo: Ghost Stories (Dub)
Snow White -- Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Princess Tiana -- Princess and the Frog
Malory Archer: Archer
Deandra: MPGiS
Kamala Khan: Ms. Marvel
Anna Cornonation Dress: Frozen
Vader Eloha/The Queen: OFF
Princess Suwa: Mascot of the city of Suwa, Japan

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/annikaskisses
Sewing blog: http://www.annikakisskisses.blogspot.com
EvilLittleKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2015, 08:13 AM   #15
belligerent
Viking Metal

I drive two hours to get to tandy leather. It's too much of a crapshoot to order leather online unless I am getting a really good deal. Also while I'm in town, I usually hit up the jerrys artarama for stuff like smoothcast resin and other stuff I can't get at michaels or hobby lobby.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite, Sha Gojyo
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote