Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 04-08-2015, 06:17 PM   #1
SarahDearr
Caram3llo Cosplay

Question What's your opinion of your friends cosplaying the same exact characters you do?

I had this friend who wanted to cosplay the same character and that was all fine and dandy, but then went and bought every single cosplay I own and is cosplaying those characters. I wouldn't mind as much but she gets the expensive cosplays, the different outfits, the different versions to one-up me, she even told me that. How would you feel if your friend was doing this to you?
SarahDearr is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-08-2015, 06:21 PM   #2
Akiyhrah
She-Geek extraordinaire

Cosplaying the same characters is fine. Cosplaying them to intentionally "one-up" you and basically to put you down... well it sounds like you need to cut that 'friend' from your life. She doesn't sound like a very nice person at all.

[C|O|S|P|L|A|Y]
My anti-drug.
Akiyhrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2015, 06:28 PM   #3
TMLiza
Make All The Things!

Damn, that friend...is not really a friend. There's no other way to put it, that kind of person is not someone you want to have around.

For the topic of friends cosplaying the same thing, I really don't care. I don't own the character. Heck, a couple of my friends tend to gravitate to the same characters I do and we find it more amusing than anything else.

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

TMLiza is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2015, 07:00 PM   #4
Scunosi

Yeah, that's not really a friend, that's someone who's just using you to make themselves look better. Imagine it like a "Before and After" photo, they're putting you in the Before and themselves in the After.

Are they a friend just through cosplay? If so, they may do this to other cosplay friends just to further their cosplay career. Or are they an actual friend who's just turning this behavior on when cosplaying? Crafting and competition can bring out bad qualities in normally nice people. It's up to you to evaluate the worth of the friendship or if it's something you want to keep but maybe distance the cosplay part. I've had to do something similar with a friend who has come to expect me to do a lot of her cosplay work for her for free or just the cost of materials which ends up stressing me out. I've told her she'll just have to do her own stuff from now on, but I'll still cosplay with her.

Costumes
Amethyst-Steven Universe-nearing completion for Sakuracon
fem!Medic-TF2-nearing completion for Sakuracon
Blaziken-Pokemon-nearing completion for a friend for Sakuracon
Garnet-Steven Universe-only just started, aiming for PAX Prime completion
Scunosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2015, 07:29 PM   #5
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

I like duplicates and variants, but your friend is a tool. No reason to continue your cosplay activities with them, really. I can't imagine that's much fun for you.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Your Mother [Debbie Does Dallas XXIII] (8%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2015, 10:15 PM   #6
6types
Naked Molerat

I don't mind cosplaying the same characters as my friends, but I find it kind of weird to cosplay them at the same time (but mostly because I'd prefer a partner then a twin for most series). Luckily for me, I also happen to like a lot of series that are different than what my friends like so competition usually doesn't come up (or unluckily if I'm looking for a cosplay partner).

You're friend's actions don't seem very nice. Do they make you feel uncomfortable with their actions? (I'd certainly feel off in that situation). In that case, have you tried sitting them down and telling them your feelings on their behavior? If they are a real friend, they will take your opinions into account.
6types is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2015, 10:33 PM   #7
Milky Bubbles
(◍•ᴗ•◍)

Their extremely toxic behaviour is unnecessary and them blatantly telling YOU that they want to outdo YOU by blowing lots of money on costumes is evidence enough that this person has some issues they need to resolve.

Cosplaying the same character as someone else is totally okay but the reasons that your friend is doing it for are just extremely childish and dumb and they need to be told that.

I also agree with others saying that you need to find some way to remove that person from your life because they are just...incredible in all the wrong ways.

*Strawberry Shortcake - Sakizou
*Human!Charlotte the Witch - Puella Magi Madoka Magica - Making props!

fυтυrε cσsтυмε(s):
*Fawn!stuck Jade Harley - Homestuck, self-made design (Stored for future use)
*Rococo Princess - Sakizou

cσмρℓεтε∂ cσsтυмε(s):

cσηvεηтισηs ι αттεη∂/ωιℓℓ вε αттεη∂ιηg:
*Animazement 2015

Last edited by Milky Bubbles : 04-10-2015 at 03:29 PM.
Milky Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2015, 02:11 PM   #8
Amanita

I'm with the others here- if your friend simply liked the same characters you do, that would be one thing. But the fact is, they are doing this JUST to one-up you and make your efforts look like less in comparison. That's not okay at all, and you don't need to cosplay with somebody like this. Hell, you probably don't need to do ANYTHING with somebody like this. Hyper-competitive and likes to make you look inferior? That's not what friends do, fuck her. Fuck her good.
Unread 04-11-2015, 05:38 AM   #9
Synaster

I agree with what everyone else said. I also think that this petty narcissist probably will suck out all the fun of cosplaying for you if you let her. The friendship seems toxic, and unless you put your foot down and tell her to knock it off, you may end up poisoned. Good luck to you.
Synaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2015, 12:32 PM   #10
SweeneyTodd
Jack Sparrow impersonator

That's a pretty crappy thing for your friend to do to you tbh. I don't mind if someone wants to do the same character as me, but to do it just to one-up someone is just immature and honestly kind of dumb.

I agree with what everyone said here. You need to find a way to confront her and tell her how this is making you feel. And if she doesn't want to listen to you, I think you should distance yourself from this person, just to save drama and such in the future.

It's a pirate's life for me! Savvy?

Find me on Facebook!

SparrowStyle Entertainment on Instagram

WorldCosplay Account
SweeneyTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2015, 02:33 PM   #11
BiohazardBeauty

Honestly,...
I cosplay the same character a 'friend' (acquaintance) of mine does, I re-made my costume to be like hers because she had a better costume fabric imo, and mine was falling apart so it had to be remade. (Originally, she created her costume to literally one-up me).
I wanted to make my costume something I liked, SPECIFICALLY /not/ to one-up her. The issue?
She thinks I'm a threat now. Our friendship has been strained.

There are people who are just going to try and be better than everyone else, and if your friend is being one of these people, it is best to either talk to her about how it is bothering you, or cut her out of your life.

I've been dealing with an entire group of elitists and am learning that some people just want all the attention. It is best to get away from those types of people.

Last edited by BiohazardBeauty : 04-12-2015 at 02:36 PM.
Unread 04-12-2015, 03:00 PM   #12
KaiM0n
SillyNerk

Imo. If that friend is younger than you they are probably looking up to you and trying to improve themselves too or wants to be as good or even better. I don't see why they would want to be worse. But it is flattering but if its becoming a frequent thing you should let her know that they should do characters they enjoy instead of 1uping. If they are older they probably want to seem more cool. or better suited for certain character. In terms of cosplay this can happen as it can make people competitive. But it seems your friend just does it to one up you instead of doing it for the love of it. Just be blunt and tell her how you feel if it really bothers you.
It's supposed to be fun girl. :,
-Currently on the verge of girl genius

Last edited by KaiM0n : 04-12-2015 at 03:43 PM.
KaiM0n is offline   Reply With Quote