Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 07-25-2014, 05:56 PM   #1
Iron Site

comissioner didn't make it

if a commissioner pikked up a comission and had some1 else do it, is it rite?
Iron Site is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-25-2014, 06:26 PM   #2
NinjaEatsZombie
NinjaEatingZombie

Not in my opinion. If they are going to showcase themselves as a commissioner they should make the item themselves.
Raven (Teen Titans White Version): 20% complete
NinjaEatsZombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2014, 06:29 PM   #3
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

First, you're gonna get some crap for typing like that..It's very annoying to read..It comes off as immature and like you're a child..So please try to type in real words. A lot of people on here also refuse to reply to people that can't type a mature person..Just saying..I got that crap too before..

Also, that depends..Did you get your item commissioned and all just fine? Did you still recieve it and all that jazz and in good condition and blah blah blah? Because the "commissioner" could work with more than one person..That's called a business. One person in that business does props, maybe one does only wigs, and the 3rd might only do the clothing parts..As long as you are still getting your item and not being ripped off, and the person doing the commission is ok with someone else handling the money, it shouldn't matter.
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-Serena (Pokemon Y [It's the one I have lol])
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2014, 06:41 PM   #4
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

If they claimed they'd do all the work and passed it off to someone else, that's mighty suspicious (and they probably shouldn't be comissioning if their skill isn't up to that level). If they had a team setup where a few people work on it and split labour costs, now, that's uncommon but not considered sleazy practice.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2014, 09:03 PM   #5
Creative Genius
feelin' nerdy

chill jason. typos arnt the end of the world.

If they are passing the commission off as just their own then it is wrong. but if they have helpers then its fine. i just hope their helpers are getting paid too.

NDK Cosplay list:
Sailor Cosmos - sailor moon
Secret WCS cosplay <3
season one sailor moon (husband as Tuxedo Mask <3)
and maaaaybe FEM!Lucifer from supernatural
Creative Genius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2014, 10:12 PM   #6
EvilLittleKiss
Profound Historical Youth

If it's a team working on this together and everyone gets a fair cut, it's fine.
But if this person's just passing all the responsibility to their buddies and taking the money for themself, that's pretty suspicious. Unless there's a good reason the commissioner can't make it, (i.e. broke dominant hand/arm) that's not good. And even if this person did have a good reason, they should tell you first.

Currently working on:
Scarlett O'Hara Drapery Dress -- Gone With the Wind
Deandra -- MPGiS
Anna Cornonation Dress -- Frozen
Vader Eloha/The Queen -- OFF
Princess Suwa -- Mascot of the city of Suwa, Japan

My favorite cosplays:
Brittnay Matthews -- MPGiS
Mom Lalonde -- Homestuck
Princess Kenny -- South Park

Tumblr: http://justacrazedfangirl.tumblr.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/annikaskisses
EvilLittleKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2014, 12:53 AM   #7
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creative Genius View Post

If they are passing the commission off as just their own then it is wrong. but if they have helpers then its fine. i just hope their helpers are getting paid too.
Not saying they are..Just looking out so the same people that gave me hell over it don't do it to this person too..I guess it's only "not the end of the world" when anyone else does it then..Sorry for giving them information that would help them on this site from the ones that did it to me for typing that way..And no one said anything about typos..I'm talking about the text speak style typing..
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-Serena (Pokemon Y [It's the one I have lol])
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2014, 02:03 PM   #8
Amanita

I've seen God Save the Queen Fashions on Facebook working hand in hand with Volpin Props on a few projects, but that's something they're upfront about. They don't take Volpin's work and pass it off as their own, they are honest about the fact that some commissions are a collaborative effort.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2014, 02:10 PM   #9
Syon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creative Genius View Post

This is certainly not about makinf typos...this is about violating languages in the most annoying way ever...because its done by some people on purpose to "sound cool".
Because I know how a typo or a random mistake looks like..and this here is none of that.

On topic: If the comissioner said that they gave to work into someoneelse hands, didn't they already gave you a reason why they did that? I think this would have been the first thing I'd ask in that situation. How to react would depend very much on the outcome of the piece.

Next cosplay: Whitemane

Syon is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2014, 06:45 PM   #10
daxwills

I've been debating on responding to this because I can't decide if my analogy makes any sense. But I'm going with it because it has similar thoughts behind it. I work in a hot rod/custom shop. Let's say you come in and want us to build you a car (40 Ford Sedan, just to pick a popular one). We sit down, work out the details, deposit left, blah blah blah. The paint/bodywork on the car will be sent out to a bodyshop we've partnered with to do our painting. Depending on what is being done to the interior that may or may not also be farmed out. It's called sub-contracting. It's pretty common practice because finding one shop that does it all is actually quite rare. Now I understand there are thousands of parts in a car and it's an infinitely more complex item than a cosplay costume. But to date, no one has ever come back and said "OMG I found out X did the paint job and not you guys!". If the work is of the quality promised and it came in on time and on budget all parties should be happy.

Finished Projects:
Wayyyyy too many. Good thing I don't usually keep them or I'd need a bigger house.
daxwills is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2014, 06:54 PM   #11
belligerent
Viking Metal

Yeah, I was going to mention subcontracting as well. It's something that's done pretty often in the real world. Like you could hire somebody to build you a webpage and that person could hire somebody else to do the graphics while they (or somebody else they subcontract) could work on the coding part of it.

If you commissioned somebody to do a cosplay and they hire somebody else to do the belt for them because they don't work with leather, for example, then I don't see that being such a big deal, since they probably work out an agreement beforehand for that stuff. If they're misrepresenting their skills, I guess that's one thing. It probably just seems weirder to cosplayers because we're used to one person doing everything in a costume for the most part.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Nephrite
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote