Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 10-23-2014, 10:24 PM   #1
Terajax

Platform shoes

So, I've seen them around a few times-- okay, once. Only once, and the person was cosplaying Sebastian. It kinda fit, but then it kinda didn't.

Here's my main point;

I'm 4"9. My friend is maybe an inch or two taller; and I'm going as a character who's supposed to be taller than her. A lot taller.

I'm planning on going as Tsukiyama Shu (the purple fabulous guy) from Tokyo Ghoul, and she's going as Kaneki Ken.

It wouldn't be so bad if I was taller than her, but it really bugs me that if I don't find something that helps elevate my height I'll end up being shorter than an already short character when I'm supposed to be taller. Should I wear some platform shoes; or go with some kind of heightening insole?

P.S. I had no idea where to post this, so I opted for here.
Terajax is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-23-2014, 11:37 PM   #2
belligerent
Viking Metal

I use insoles in my boots. With boots on, I'm around 3-4 inches taller than I really am. Also I have elevator oxfords to wear with suits.

IMO, insoles are better because they are invisible. If people have known me for a while but never seen me out of cosplay, I show them my "magic" boot trick...which consists of, essentially, asking these questions: see how tall I am now? Okay, see how tall I am without boots on? (I take one off). This never fails to get a hugely shocked reaction, so I am guessing the height difference is dramatic enough.

You do need to buy your shoes slightly bigger to compensate if you're going to use lifts. It also works better with something like boots, since your heel is less likely to rise out of the vamp. You can also buy "elevator shoes" which are built to increase your height invisibly as possible.

http://www.tallmenshoes.com/ <--this site has mostly anything you could want...elevator shoes, lifts, etc.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2014, 11:55 PM   #3
Terajax

Quote:
Originally Posted by belligerent View Post
I use insoles in my boots. With boots on, I'm around 3-4 inches taller than I really am. Also I have elevator oxfords to wear with suits.

IMO, insoles are better because they are invisible. If people have known me for a while but never seen me out of cosplay, I show them my "magic" boot trick...which consists of, essentially, asking these questions: see how tall I am now? Okay, see how tall I am without boots on? (I take one off). This never fails to get a hugely shocked reaction, so I am guessing the height difference is dramatic enough.

You do need to buy your shoes slightly bigger to compensate if you're going to use lifts. It also works better with something like boots, since your heel is less likely to rise out of the vamp. You can also buy "elevator shoes" which are built to increase your height invisibly as possible.

http://www.tallmenshoes.com/ <--this site has mostly anything you could want...elevator shoes, lifts, etc.
Okay, thank you. Wasn't sure what I should get~ I found what I'm after thanks to you.
Unread 10-24-2014, 08:18 AM   #4
kandell

For my Free! group, I'm Makoto. Makoto is head and shoulders taller than everyone else. I'm already 5'10", but the girls in the group are 5'4" and 5'6". I found platformed flip flops on ebay that I'll be wearing. They make me about 6'1".

TL;DR, there are platformed shoes out there, you just have to spend some time looking. But I like Belligerent's suggestion of insoles, since they're a lot more discreet.
Facebook
AC Paradise
Twitter
kandell is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2014, 07:09 PM   #5
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

The base question: should you? That depends on you.

Me and my partner still occasionally do costumes from the same series. She cares if she's significantly taller than I am in costume; I don't. I can't begin to describe the lack of cares I have for my height or how anyone perceives it. My partner does care. So, if someone were to come to us and ask if we planned to wear lifts or other shoe-tricks to increase height, she would say yes because that's her personal preference; I would say no because in my personal preference I do not care one whit.

So it's up to you. Do you care? Do you have feelings that would drive your decision? Then go with them. But if you don't have any feelings one way or the other and are wondering if it's a good idea, I will say this: when I'm looking at a crowd of cosplayers, I'm not comparing their heights. I'm looking at whether or not their costumes look nice and look nice ON them. It doesn't matter if you're taller or shorter than your fellow cosplayer if your costume is crappy, so focus on that. Include the lift shoes if you feel like you would be unhappy all day being shorter, but that's your choice.

(I also can't wear lifts; I'm old and already have back problems from hip alignments. Any kind of shoe that puts my heel above my toe just makes it worse)

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2014, 11:13 PM   #6
Terajax

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsuleCorp View Post
The base question: should you? That depends on you.

Me and my partner still occasionally do costumes from the same series. She cares if she's significantly taller than I am in costume; I don't. I can't begin to describe the lack of cares I have for my height or how anyone perceives it. My partner does care. So, if someone were to come to us and ask if we planned to wear lifts or other shoe-tricks to increase height, she would say yes because that's her personal preference; I would say no because in my personal preference I do not care one whit.

So it's up to you. Do you care? Do you have feelings that would drive your decision? Then go with them. But if you don't have any feelings one way or the other and are wondering if it's a good idea, I will say this: when I'm looking at a crowd of cosplayers, I'm not comparing their heights. I'm looking at whether or not their costumes look nice and look nice ON them. It doesn't matter if you're taller or shorter than your fellow cosplayer if your costume is crappy, so focus on that. Include the lift shoes if you feel like you would be unhappy all day being shorter, but that's your choice.

(I also can't wear lifts; I'm old and already have back problems from hip alignments. Any kind of shoe that puts my heel above my toe just makes it worse)
I do care quite a bit about it, since I really like to be as close to the character themselves I can get. Lifts I've never really tried before but it's something I'm willing to do to not only appear more like the character; but also to make me happier. I ordered some insoles today so it's only a matter of time before I figure out if i feel better with them. You are right; it depends on what I feel. Thanks. As for the looking at a crowd thing, yeah, I've gotta agree on that. I don't particularly care about their height, it's the costume that catches my eye. Still, I'd probably feel better with them.
Unread 10-26-2014, 07:20 PM   #7
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Well, there you go. At least it's a "problem" that can be solved easily with any number of solutions, and will make you happy. I hope your lifts work out great for you!

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote