Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 07-20-2014, 08:32 PM   #1
fvzz2

Is this really cosplay

This might seem a daft question to some but it is playing on the back of my mind.

Is just putting on a uniform of some thing that exists in the real world technically cosplay ? by this i mean any set uniform from police/firefighter to soldier and any others that you do not alter in any way but try to wear exactly as those who wear the specific uniform for real/there job
fvzz2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-20-2014, 08:34 PM   #2
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

No, that's impersonating unless you're wearing the uniforms from say, a tv show or movie, or vintage ones that aren't worn any more (like say, WW2 recreators), and don't do that with current uniforms because you can wind up in lots of trouble for impersonating EMS workers or military.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c

Last edited by ShinobiXikyu : 07-20-2014 at 08:49 PM.
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2014, 09:05 PM   #3
belligerent
Viking Metal

If you want it to be cosplay, then yes. If you don't, then no.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Nephrite
belligerent is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2014, 09:09 PM   #4
Creative Genius
feelin' nerdy

yes.. it is cosplay. if someone says they are cosplaying then they are cosplaying.

NDK Cosplay list:
Sailor Cosmos - sailor moon
Secret WCS cosplay <3
season one sailor moon (husband as Tuxedo Mask <3)
and maaaaybe FEM!Lucifer from supernatural
Creative Genius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2014, 09:13 PM   #5
MadYoshi

Cosplaying means costume playing. Most cosplayers use characters from tv shows, anime, video games, their favorite comic, or manga. Dressing up as a firefighter or a police officer is not cosplaying, it is, "dressing up". Plus, let's go through a scene at a convention. A group of teenagers are walking through the convention. They spot a cosplayer cosplaying as Superman/WonderWomen/SomeCharacterThatTheyReallyLike and go over to take pictures. They admire and tell the cosplayer how great their cosplay is, or "That look's awesome, how did you make it?" VERSUS The same group of teenagers spot you, dressed as a firefighter/police officer/arm soldier, and just......keep walking. Odds are they won't approach you and say "Wow, you look just like the police officer that walks around my school, I was wondering how you made the badge?"

Then again, if you are dressing up as a firefighter/police officer/soldier FROM a video game / tv show / anime / manga / comic, it is cosplaying.

I agree with the first reply, DONT wear current uniforms, that's some dangerous stuff to mess with, they might even have problems letting you into a convention.
You could probably make an awesome cosplay out of an OLD uniform, like World War sorta stuff. Don't forget steampunk! Always an another option (Google image "steampunk" if you have no idea what it is)

BUT BUT BUT BUT BUTTTTT!!!!
This is only my opinion. Other people might say that it is cosplaying. The only important answer is yours. Do YOU think that it's considered cosplaying?
- Ciel Phantomhive

Music is like Love
Without it, we would have nothing to live for

Cosplay is like Food
We need it to survive, and it's a pleasure to have

Anime is like Drugs
Once you get into it, your'e hooked

Last edited by MadYoshi : 07-20-2014 at 09:16 PM.
MadYoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2014, 09:18 PM   #6
belligerent
Viking Metal

Remember that nobody but you can tell you if you're cosplaying or not.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark
Unread 07-20-2014, 11:48 PM   #7
EvilLittleKiss
Profound Historical Youth

I don't recommend wearing a uniform that's currently in use, that could cause some problems if somebody thinks you're impersonating a cop. You always could do something to make it obvious that you're not actually law enforcement (like how Party City's FBI costumes say "FBII") to avoid that.

Currently working on:
Scarlett O'Hara Drapery Dress -- Gone With the Wind
Deandra -- MPGiS
Anna Cornonation Dress -- Frozen
Vader Eloha/The Queen -- OFF
Princess Suwa -- Mascot of the city of Suwa, Japan

My favorite cosplays:
Brittnay Matthews -- MPGiS
Mom Lalonde -- Homestuck
Princess Kenny -- South Park

Tumblr: http://justacrazedfangirl.tumblr.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/annikaskisses
EvilLittleKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2014, 11:51 PM   #8
MaiCosplay

Hmm costume and play. Don't wear official badges unless your really a cop or doctor.
MaiCosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2014, 12:39 AM   #9
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

I agree on both points mentioned. It IS cosplay..Anything can be cosplay if you make say it is..You can cosplay yourself. If you go to a con and someone says "who are you cosplaying" and you are in your normal street clothes, and go "I'm cosplaying myself", then you are..
But I also agree that cosplaying in a uniform that would be considered an athority figure, or other such thing (fire fighters, cops, FBI, military, anything like that) then you can get in some serious legal trouble because it's considered, like mentioned above, impersonating that specific thing, and I believe it's illegal. This only is true for currect uniforms. If you dressed as a policeman from some point in time that is quite some time ago, or long enough that the uniforms are no longer the same as that version, that is completely fine.
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-Serena (Pokemon Y [It's the one I have lol])
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2014, 02:29 PM   #10
TitanSlayer000
Eh

It could be. There are halloween costumes of police officers and firefighters. I'd say go ahead as long as you're careful and not wearing a current uniform or any sort of badge. And using a reference of a character is a good idea.

Next cosplays:
??????
TitanSlayer000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2014, 02:43 PM   #11
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Building on what TitanSlayer said, you could do what I plan on doing..See I like the look of the Secret Agent look..Sure this really doesn't have a specific outfit..Usually just a black suit with a white shirt, but you could use a modern uniform style of other things for this example..But making it a character that wears is..Like my example of Secret Agent is that I plan on wanting to do the Organization XIII from Kingdom Hearts all in matching Secret Agent outfits..You could do similar with firefighters, or cops or something like that..
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
Unread 07-21-2014, 06:45 PM   #12
sooyong
Ninja for Hire

I don't agree that something is cosplaying just because they say it is...but I would consider wearing a uniform of some sort without the intention to fool anyone as cosplay. If you wear a uniform as a disguise and then try to mimic that behavior with the intention of exerting false authority or otherwise, it becomes impersonation which in some cases is illegal if the figure in question is a police officer or a doctor, for example.

True, other people don't have the authority to come up to you and tell you that something isn't cosplay based on their personal ideas, but at the same time I think there are some universal ideas about what isn't considered cosplay.

Planned Cosplays:
2014: NEW→Zhurong (Dynasty Warriors 8) REPEAT→Sailor S. Fighter, Kasumi (maybe)
2015: Cosplay hiatus? (not yet decided)

sooyong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2014, 07:23 PM   #13
LluviaSarcasm
Tall, Dark and Bishoujo

I don't really think that qualifies as cosplay. I'm with sooyong, Shinobi and MadYoshi on this one.

This whole ~whatever you say it is~ has somehow gone to a ridiculous degree.
I know it was meant as an extreme example but cosplaying as yourself in your normal clothes and people shouldn't question that??
C'mon, that's unbelievably stupid. Sorry, Jason.

To me it sounds like dressing up, like Halloween.
But of course if they say so, anyone in a Party City costume is a cosplayer too ~as long as they believe it~, huh?

But whatever, that's just me, and contrary to what I just said: call it what you want. Unlike on the Internet, people like me are quite unlikely to argue what you call yourself IRL.
In progress:
| Cronus Ampora - 90%| Homura Akemi - 80%|
| Nagito Komaeda - 55%| Loki Laevatein - 50%|
| Uta - 40%|
~ ♥ ~
| Tumblr | deviantART | Cosplay plans | WorldCosplay | Cure |
]Uta - 35%[/color]|
~

Last edited by LluviaSarcasm : 07-21-2014 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Highlighted for selective readers. And a typo.
LluviaSarcasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2014, 07:34 PM   #14
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by LluviaSarcasm View Post
I don't really think that qualifies as cosplay. I'm with sooyong, Shinobi and MadYoshi on this one.

This whole ~whatever you say it is~ has somehow gone to a ridiculous degree.
I know it was meant as an extreme example but cosplaying as yourself in your normal clothes and people shouldn't question that??
C'mon, that's unbelievably stupid. Sorry, Jason.

To me it sounds like dressing up, like Halloween.
But of course if they say so, anyone in a Party City costume is a cosplayer to ~as long as they believe it~, huh?

But whatever, that's just me, and contrary to what I just said: call it what you want. Unlike on the Internet, people like me are quite unlikely to argue what you call yourself IRL.
Oh well thank you very much for telling me that my thoughts are "unbelievably stupid"..How kind of you..This makes you a kind person that people will want to be around..How about shut the hell up? Just because you don't believe the same thing I do doesn't make my idea of something stupid..Cosplay is whatever you want it to be..You aren't the creator of the word or the hobby, so you have no say in what can and can't be a cosplay..If wearing an officer jenny outfit is cosplaying, why is wearing a real cop uniform NOT cosplaying? If wearing a victorian dress is cosplaying why is wearing a, say, 1920's cop uniform NOT cosplaying? If wearing the same outfit some visual kei band wore in a video is cosplay why is wearing a fire fighters uniform from long ago not cosplay? Is it just because cop uniforms are not worn by famous people, that makes them not cosplay or something? Why is it cosplay when you wear a random outfit that a famous person wears but not when you dress as your friend and say "I'm cosplaying him *points to friend*"..See what I mean? If you are calling anything you wear a costume, then you are cosplaying..Normal clothing or not..YOU do not get to decide what is and is not cosplay..The person wearing it does.
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
Unread 07-21-2014, 08:21 PM   #15
belligerent
Viking Metal

I don't agree with Jason often, but I do in this case.

You don't really get to define cosplay for somebody else. If somebody says they are cosplaying, they are cosplaying. This, like any other aspect of a cosplay (unless it's offensive or harmful, of course), does not affect you or your own cosplay in any way. Does it affect you if somebody who is male cosplays a female? No. Does it affect you if somebody who is tall cosplays a short character? No. Does it affect you if somebody wants to put on glow in the dark hotpants and pikachu ears and cosplay as rave pikachu? No. If somebody puts on a fireman's uniform and says they are cosplaying a fireman, they're cosplaying a fireman. Does it affect you? No.

Likewise, if somebody puts on a fireman's uniform and says they're not cosplaying, they're not. This also does not affect you. If somebody is a historical reenactor and says they're not cosplaying, they're not. Again, their definition of cosplay has no bearing on yours....just as yours has no bearing on theirs.

You don't get to define this for somebody else. Would you like somebody to define what cosplay is for you? It's not really that hard to understand. If we get to define cosplay for anybody but ourselves, the line everybody draws in the sand is going to be different. Somebody might say they don't consider it cosplay unless it's from an anime. Somebody might say it's not cosplay if it's an OC. Somebody else might say it's not cosplay if you found the clothes in your closet.

No. The only real way it can be defined without an endless circlejerk of everybody trying to impose their own opinions on everybody else is if whatever you think counts as cosplay applies to you and you alone.