Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-16-2015, 11:14 AM   #1
Randommerade
You go, Glen Coco

Things you are self conscious about (in cosplay)

Everyone is self conscious about something. Whether it be your costume making skills, body or whatever. So I thought would make a thread to cheer each other up and give support

For me, it's my teeth. The natural color of my teeth is pretty yellowish and while it's not that big of a deal, it prevents me from feeling confident in smiling with an open mouth in my photos. I'm trying crest white strips soon when I have the money but for now I'm stuck with fugly teeth...

Another one is a dimple that's just on ONE side of my mouth. I'm only ashamed of it in cosplay because I've been told it's cute, but in photos I usually turn my body so nobody can see the dimple/lack thereof. But hopefully soon I'll be able to take photos that show both sides xD

Also, my sewing, while improving is still horrendous. I'm going to sign up for a class when I can find someone.

What about you? What's your cosplay insecurity? :P
Randommerade is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-16-2015, 11:52 AM   #2
Royalbakaness
Zombie Unicorn

I'm a bit self-conscious about my teeth, too. Most of them are pretty white, but I have a couple that are a tad off color, and it drives me crazy! I try to do whitening stuff, but it only does so much.
I'm definitely self-conscious of my body. I don't like to show my upper arms, and I don't like clothes that cling to me too much. I've come to appreciate shapewear. It helps me a lot with my self-consciousness.
I also hate my profile. My face isn't too chubby, but my profile looks crappy. So I try to pose my head in a way that doesn't make me cringe when I see the picture.
Unread 05-16-2015, 12:12 PM   #3
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Thirding teeth. Since I've HAD teeth I've had a large diastema (as bad as this. I even measured.http://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/...Went_Out. jpg ) and we could never afford braces. And add in that I also unfortunately inherited the gene for teeth that always look perpetually yellow (I still remember Mom forcing me to scrub my teeth with baking soda back in the days before they had commercial whiteners OR the ridiculous "YOU MUST HAVE SNOW WHITE TEETH" standard). So I won't pose for a photo with my mouth open and it tends to really limit my expressions in pictures.
I don't really like my chin either. I don't have much of one so side shots need really careful posing to look good.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2015, 12:20 PM   #4
Kitsuko

OMG I HAVE THE DIMPLE THING TOO. xD

For me I just feel like my face in general looks weird I really hate my face shape even though people have told me there's nothing wrong with it, especially when I'm wearing short wigs since I'm usually sporting long hair any other day. I also have this mole/freckle thing above one side of my lip. I guess it could technically count as a beauty mark, but it bugs me in my cosplay photos because I try to go for accuracy as much as I can. I've tried covering it up, but because of how it's raised I feel like it just draws more attention to it when covered in make up. ;n;

Other than that, because I'm still getting the hang of sewing and other crafts I'm very self conscious about my craftsmanship. I know every little mistake each and every costume I own has and while it's unlikely others will see it, I still get paranoid.

I can also kind of second the teeth thing. I've had braces, but one of my bottom teeth still pokes forward more than the others, thus causing my bite to be off a bit. My bottom teeth are also pretty yellowish ever since I had braces. Even though I clean them religiously, especially when I had braces, somehow during the braces process they yellowed. ;n;

Megara from Hercules- 40%
Morrigan from Dragon Age- 17%
The Abandoned Doll from Bloodborne- 0%
Lucky Chloe from Tekken 7- 0%
Anna from Frozen-- Ican'thelpit (This will likely get dropped if I run out of time on the other costumes)- 0%
Kitsuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2015, 12:28 PM   #5
AnimeViolinist

I also agree with teeth. I also have a mole/beauty mark on my cheek that I try and cover up as often as I can with bangs. Even now I have a hard time cosplaying characters that don't have bangs so I can't cover it up and I've looked into having it removed (but scarring may be even worse).
AnimeViolinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2015, 01:18 PM   #6
Destinyamber
大好き

I'm always worried about my teeth since I have a lot of crowding. But I'm mainly self-conscious about my nose. I can't do silhouettes because of my beak of a nose! I blame my father; it comes from his side of the family.

2015 Con Schedule:
Tora-Con: Apr 18 &19
ColossalCon: June 4-7
CamillusCon: July 11
Liberty City Anime Con: Aug 28-30
Roc-Con: Sept 11-13
Destinyamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2015, 01:30 PM   #7
division-ten
Yes, I AM an Albino

My weight. I'm somewhere around 180-190 lbs and yeah.
Otakon: '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14
Zenkaicon: '09
Katsucon: '10, '15
Animenext: '10, '11, '14
division-ten is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2015, 02:11 PM   #8
schmemy
shh-meh-mee

I feel like my skin /always/ breaks out around cons. Usually it's just fine, but when a con runs around, maybe I'm just so stressed/excited that it screws up my skin and I get zits that makeup can only cover up so much. It sucksss.

Next Con: Colossalcon
Fem Rei | P3 Protag | Pearl | Satsuki | Beatrice

2015 Cons
MTAC | Colossalcon | Anime Expo | Akaicon | AWA | GMX

schmemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2015, 02:29 PM   #9
Randommerade
You go, Glen Coco

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmemy View Post
I feel like my skin /always/ breaks out around cons. Usually it's just fine, but when a con runs around, maybe I'm just so stressed/excited that it screws up my skin and I get zits that makeup can only cover up so much. It sucksss.
Maybe try this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmkRR9WlFKs
Randommerade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2015, 02:59 PM   #10
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

3 things.
1. My weight, which, I mean, I think no matter who you are, this is kinda normal..lol But I don't like it..

2. My teeth which oddly seems to be normal too according to this thread..Mine are all effed up and we could never afford to fix them. So smiling in pictures is really hard for me.

3. I haven't seemed to meet anyone else with this problem, but I get hot really fast. So I sweat more than most people. Which not only is bad for light colored outfits, but makeup. It makes makeup shiny and run, as well as it makes white or other really light colored clothing have sweat spots like on my back and stuff where it's like, I really don't wanna wear it..
-Peach (Super Smash bros 3DS)
-Gohan (DBZ, Cell Saga, Either SSJ1 or SSJ2)
-Nepgear (Hyperdimension Neptunia)
Jei-Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2015, 08:48 PM   #11
division-ten
Yes, I AM an Albino

Ugh. I sweat like a pig, too. I always meticulously clean my costumes to prevent sweat staining.
Otakon: '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14
Zenkaicon: '09
Katsucon: '10, '15
Animenext: '10, '11, '14
division-ten is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2015, 09:53 PM   #12
loz64

1. Skin is too dark for most cosplays
2. Flat-chested
3. Lordosis (makes my butt and gut stick out like a little kid)
4. I am an awkward person (I never know what to say and being around lots of people terrifies me)
5. I sweat a lot, even when wearing sleeveless costumes
6. My sewing skills are still basic
7. My flat nose
8. Always afraid of a wardrobe malfunction or prop disaster
9. Dreaded "shiny face"
10. I almost always go alone to cons
11. I have alopecia which affected my eyebrows, so the hairs on one side are thinner than the other
12. I don't like my profile because I have an oddly-shaped head

...and many more...
loz64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2015, 10:08 PM   #13
DeeperBlue
Property of Zee Captein

Eh, there's a few things. I'm not fond of my wide jaw, but I guess it's nothing contouring, strategically styled hair and an angle can't take care of. Gotta be careful about my upturned nose too, if I tilt my head at the wrong angle, then it looks really weird. I'm mostly insecure about my eyes, though, tbh. I have uneven eyelid folds and have to apply eyeliner way thicker on my left eye if I want it to look even, and the crease beneath my bottom eyelids messes with my eye shape and makes wearing more intricate eyeliner an exercise in frustration.

Fayt Leingod (Ethereal Blast version) - Star Ocean:Till the End of Time - 85% finished

Fidel Camus - Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness - planning stages
DeeperBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2015, 12:35 AM   #14
South Melon 9

I definitely have A LOT of insecurities while cosplaying ... I can't help but worry that I'm not doing a good enough job, that I'm not doing the character justice.
My profile is horrible, so I can only take frontal shots.
I get really conscious of my height when I cosplay loli/shota characters, I often get comments that I'm not short enough... I can't pull off bishonens with my baby face either TT
And then there's my eyes which aren't big enough without circle lenses, but circle lenses are often uncomfortable to wear. The Dark circles under my eyes are hard to cover too QwQ
South Melon 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2015, 01:05 AM   #15
Cl0udy
Princess

A few things I get self conscious about currently is my smile. I love my smile, it's great. But ever since I got braces it's messed it up because where my braces are on my teeth are where my top lip would usually go. So it looks a lil effed up. Also mildly self conscious about my natural eye bags, although not too bad, can really make me look tired if I'm lacking energy. Generally I don't get too self conscious though, I little in my upper arms (but weights have been fixing that).
Maya - Borderlands 2 %60

Plans for the Future:
Nisha the Lawbringer - Borderlands Pre Sequel
Cordelia - Fire Emblem Awakening
Opal - Steven Universe

~~~~~~Look up at the stars and not at your feet. Be curious - Stephen Hawking~~~~~~
Cl0udy is offline   Reply With Quote