Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 07-20-2014, 07:16 AM   #1
ChantellyHeart
ChantellyHeart

Smile Why do YOU Cosplay?

So why do you do it? I want to cosplay more because I was to create amazing costumes and have fun. Expressing myself as much as I can, as a fan, for a character is my goal
ChantellyHeart is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-20-2014, 07:24 AM   #2
Melancholy Wish
Tsundere

Attention, I'd feel left out if I didn't, and if I stopped cosplaying all my friends who cosplay would forget about me. The sad truth.

Arcade Sona from League of Legends
Esmeralda- Disney
Meru from Legend of Dragoon.
Sayaka Miki- Magica Madoka
Yang-RWBY
Looking for people to hang out with at Ax2014
Melancholy Wish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2014, 07:49 AM   #3
Kitsuko

I cosplay simply because I find it to be a lot of fun. I enjoy interacting with people who share the same hobbies and interests as me and cosplay/conventions make that ten times easier. I remember being 11 and seeing pictures from what I believe was Anime North and really wanting to go to a con and dress up. Turned out there was a convention not terribly far from my house so the next year my mom was kind enough to take me and my grandma even made a costume for me. It was awesome and I had a blast. I've been going ever since. It especially helped me a lot because around that time I was being bullied in school. Luckily that didn't last long and thanks to cosplaying it gave me something to look forward to while I waited for my classmates to get bored with their shenanigans. So I guess I can tack on for fun and for stress relief as my two biggest reasons for cosplaying.
Kitsuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2014, 08:30 AM   #4
Slapthefatcat
The man with the guns.

When I cosplay, I feel like I represent certain traits in which I see or want in myself (often the strong/brave stereotype). It's also fun and I get to improve skills that are useful elsewhere (particularly sewing).
Kaito Yashio - Robotics; Notes (Otakon 2014, re-vamp)
Colonel Armstrong - FMA: Brotherhood (Eventually)
Zoro - One Piece (Eventually)
Ippo - Hajime no Ippo (Eventually)
Hody - One Piece (Eventually)
Kaito Yashio - Robotics; Notes (Otakon 2013, Completed)
Free - Soul Eater (Otakon 2013, Completed)

My Facebook cosplay group - Southern Maryland Cosplay (Anyone can join)
Slapthefatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2014, 09:12 AM   #5
Syon

Excitement, attention and celebrating the fandom/game/character I cosplay from. The only part I like crafting-wise is working with worbla and painting.

Next cosplay: Whitemane

Last edited by Syon : 07-20-2014 at 01:34 PM.
Syon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2014, 09:28 AM   #6
phantom000

I have never done it before and i am one of those people who will do anything one time just to say i did it.

This will be my first costume, don't know if it will be my last but we will have to see.
phantom000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2014, 09:41 AM   #7
CNgrandsonny

I cosplay because making the cosplay is fun to do; I love sewing, painting, crafting, etc. On top of that, it's one of the few ways I can be someone else, and going to conventions has made me lots of friends who like what I like.
CNgrandsonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2014, 09:45 AM   #8
Ambrynni
Scottish Newbie

I am cosplaying because I have admired people's costumes for such a long time, and I really wanted to show my appreciation for characters and join in all the fun at conventions!

I am currently working on my first cosplay and the feeling I am getting seeing this outfit come together is just unbeatable. I feel good learning a new skill too!

Planned Cosplays/Wishlist this year:
Ryuko Matoi, regular Senketsu (Kill La Kill)
Annie (League of Legends)
Morty Smith (Rick and Morty)

Dream Cosplays:
Commander Shepard (Mass Effect)
Miss Fortune (League of Legends)
Ambrynni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2014, 10:34 AM   #9
Cameron1138
Kingslayer

Because I enjoy making costumes and wearing them in public. Also, when I'm at a con in cosplay, it's almost like I'm a different person. I feel a lot more confident and outgoing (partly that's because I know I'm surrounded by people who share many of my interests, of course). Also, not gonna lie, the positive attention I get is a ridiculously huge self-confidence booster.

In progress: Booker Dewitt (Bioshock Infinite) - 90%; Steampunk'd Han Solo (Star Wars) - 98%; Connor Kenway (Assassin's Creed III) - 30%; Max Rockatansky (Mad Max series) - 35%; Bucky Barnes/Winter Soldier (Captain America: TWS) - planning

Future: Mal Reynolds (improved), Jaime Lannister (GoT)

Last edited by Cameron1138 : 07-22-2014 at 03:43 PM.
Cameron1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2014, 01:19 PM   #10
Padmik
mikky

I originally did it because it looked fun. Then I started doing it because I had really low self-esteem and didn't like being myself so I figured, if I'm costume, I get to be another person for a little while.

Now, it's more like, I really want to dress up and goof as as my favorite characters. I also want to learn how to use different types of materials so it's fun and somewhat educational thing for me.

[Tumblr] [CosBlog]

2014 Conventions
Shatterdome ATL, AWA
2014 Cosplays
Allison Argent (3x23) - Teen Wolf 100%
Mako Mori - Pacific Rim 100%
Honekoneko (kigu) - PaSwG 90%
Levi (WoC) - SnK/AoT 15%
Hibari Kyoya (jumpsuit) - KHR! 5%
Rilakkuma (kigu) 80%
Padmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2014, 01:21 PM   #11
StrawberrySiren
Five Feet of POWAH!

I'm a show-off and I like crafting things.

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
StrawberrySiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2014, 01:25 PM   #12
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I love to make things, I love to feel like a supermodel when I'm getting tons of photos taken at cons, it gives me a huge confidence boost when I have people praising my costumes, it makes socializing WAY easier for me (I have Asperger's syndrome), it's a fun escape, and I also love to perform and win prizes (so, cosplay and compete in masquerades).
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2014, 01:35 PM   #13
Saltpeter
DANGER: Talks too much

That's a big question. Took one look and immediately went "Wall of text time!" in my mind. ;>.> The answer depends on how I look at it.

Superficially, I'm dissatisfied with my friends, and they're not really in a position to be the friends I desire. I usually have to chase after them just to keep being friends. Cosplay is something none of my friends do. I'm doing something only for myself for a change. When I realized that this would be a way to make some new friends, that was further motivation.

As for what inspired me, why I chose cosplay over some other hobby, I've admired the work that went into cosplay for years. I didn't think much of it at first, but when I went to NYCC 2013, I saw a Caitlyn there whose picture I saw online months prior, and for a moment it became real to me. @_@ It's rare when I become interested in things, where I wasn't convinced by a friend doing that thing. It makes the thing seem more like a me thing to do, rather than a that-guy thing to do. I had a conversation with my online friends a while back about which League of Legends characters we could pull off. One of them thought I couldn't do Twisted Fate because I don't have his jawline(as if his jawline is one of his distinguishing features. >_>) I argued that anyone could be Dr. Mundo because no one actually resembles him. They agreed. I extended that; I don't HAVE to resemble TF, but I'm close enough anyway. So that's why I picked TF.

And as for what motivates me from the personal angle, why I've stuck with it so far, I don't quite know, but I have my hypotheses. This has been a turbulent, unhappy year, and with turbulence comes rapid change. After the car accident, I did some stark thinking about unhappy things, and when you dwell on your unhappiness for long enough, you start to hate yourself for it. And I think that's my ultimate motivation: self-loathing. The thought of being someone else for a while seems really appealing right now, because being myself doesn't. I used to feel really weird about the thought of wearing costumes because of a hangup regarding costumed characters I'd had since I was a toddler. I overcame that roughly two days before I signed up for this forum.

But that's just one of my two theories. I've never really had a hobby. I've never had an activity I could call a common interest with anyone else. I've been a gamer for as long as I can recall, but I never considered it a hobby, just a hollow addiction. Cosplay is a multi-disciplinary activity. It's engaging on many levels. It seems like something that would, at the most basic level, bring me much more personal satisfaction from doing well than gaming.

Both theories are probably correct to various degrees. All these explanations answer why I'm doing this. So, uhh... TL;DR: Bored, unhappy, and friendless, trying to fix all at once with new hobby. ;>.>

Costume Plan

The planning phase is over, the time for action has arrived! Talk to me like someone who is more eager than studious, but HAS done his research outside of his questions! The next challenge is to make the armor look like leather, or to make the pouch!

NEXT RANK: Add padding/styling to shoulder armor OR make the leather card pouch
Saltpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2014, 03:03 PM   #14
Ilafatyu
That guy

Because I like sewing and my friends do it and dammit it's fun to do dumb convention things.

facebook // dA
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (RWBY) - 3%
Connie (SnK) - 1%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2014, 03:06 PM   #15
ShiftyPowers57

I cosplay because I went to Anime Expo one year without cosplaying and felt like an outsider. Now I do it for the attention and devotion to my fandoms. Truth.
ShiftyPowers57 is offline   Reply With Quote