Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 25 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-29-2012, 03:21 PM   #181
KuruttaKanashii
Tempest in a Teapot

I was talking to my mother about my plans for the weekend. She doesn't know character names...
Her: So you're going to this cosplay thing? What costume are you wearing?
Me: The same one as last time. (=Izaya)
Her: Oh, the hot one!
Me: In more ways than one!
Her: ...I can't hit you, you're driving...

For cosplay photos and selfies please visit my tumblr
KuruttaKanashii is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-29-2012, 08:10 PM   #182
Xinouth
Hadena Cosplay

Thumbs up

My dad doesn't really understand it and thinks it's weird. I haven't really told my 'step'-sister and my dad's girlfriend about it yet. I think they'd judge it quite badly.

Sadly, I don't really remember my mother's reaction to my cosplaying. I think she believed it was fun and it finally got me to do something than just being on that dreaded machine all day.. though she was a little less amused when I made her sewing machine explode (yes, I did that for real, and it scared the living crap out of me! ). She did get me a sewing machine of my own for my birthday that year, though.

My mother-'in-law' actually loves the whole cosplaying thing. She doesn't want to admit it, but she adores helping me and my boyfriend with our costumes. Actually, my boyfriend is a lucky one.. he just has to give his mother a pair of puppy eyes and reference pictures, you blink your eyes, and there's a costume...! (such a spoiled brat.. ) In fact, it wouldn't be odd to see her cosplaying at a con, were it not for her health conditions not being too optimal for this.

I don't have any actual fun conversations yet, though (or I'm just an airhead and forgot about any ).

Cosplays:
Videl, Yoruichi, Lelouch Lamperouge, Anna (Frozen)

Working on:
Regina (OUAT)/Evil Queen (Disney) mashup

Planned:
The Great Saiyaman
Jinx
Vanilla
Xinouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2012, 09:18 PM   #183
Julesie

This wasn't my parent or guardian but my auntie told my mum she was 'really' excited to meet me at a disco because she saw I dressed up in costumes on FB. Apparently she goes around impersonating some old celebraties such as Marilyn Monroe and thought I was absolutely awesome for dressing up.
When I got there she told me how awesome I was and that she loves how I'm not a 'sheep' and to ignore anyone who calls me weird for doing it.

I have to say she's my favourite out of all of my uncles wives so far. (He's been through many and it was my first time meeting her.)
Julesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 02:36 PM   #184
Quinn The Spazz
Dr. Sexy, Vampire Hunter

I decided to explain Faust VIII to my mom, just to see how she'd react. I gave her a whole explanation about Shaman King, Faust, his wife, his lack-of-shirt, about me cosplaying him etc and after I finished telling her everything, her question is:

"Why does he wear kneepads?"

It's a series about fighting shamans, and the guy is a psychotic necromancer...and you're questioning his fashion choice?
Yuu Kashima-Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki Kun, Natsumura Kusaribe-Zetsuen no Tempest, Henry Branwell-The Infernal Devices books, Professor Ozpin-RWBY, Drusilla-Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Aziraphale-Good Omens, Woolsey Scott-The Infernal Devices books, Cure Passion-Fresh Pretty Cure! Q-Skyfall, Monk-Ghost Hunt, Magnus Bane-The Mortal Instruments books (various book outfits,)
Quinn The Spazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2012, 03:08 PM   #185
Quinn The Spazz
Dr. Sexy, Vampire Hunter

Not cosplay, but I did try to explain to my mom what Gangnam style was. I think we both ended up more confused than when I started XD

Though I do remember this one time:
My mom: Did you hang that stuff up in your closet
Me: right next to the skeleton!
Mom: what?
Me: Yeah, I have a literal skeleton in my closet
Mom: Why am I not surprised?
Me:...it's a prop!
Mom: I don't doubt that
Me: It has a name!
Mom: Again, not surprised. I do not care to know what that is though.
Me: *mumbling* you're so mean to my wife.
Yuu Kashima-Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki Kun, Natsumura Kusaribe-Zetsuen no Tempest, Henry Branwell-The Infernal Devices books, Professor Ozpin-RWBY, Drusilla-Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Aziraphale-Good Omens, Woolsey Scott-The Infernal Devices books, Cure Passion-Fresh Pretty Cure! Q-Skyfall, Monk-Ghost Hunt, Magnus Bane-The Mortal Instruments books (various book outfits,)
Unread 09-19-2012, 03:29 PM   #186
touchmon
Make All The Things!

Mom: Do I even want to know what that jug of glue is going to be used for?
Me:Not for what it is supposed to be used for!

I got a huge jug of white glue to use for hardening craft foam and for paper mache.

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

touchmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2012, 02:34 AM   #187
RiniSmallLady

Luckily my parents are really REALLY supportive of my cosplaying hobby. In fact my dad always suggests that he's going to cosplay Gluttony from Fullmetal Alchemist and I'm just like: Please. No.

But my parents are also very protective over me, despite being twenty one, when it comes to cosplay. I remember when I was 17 and I had my Sailor Mars costume XD

Me: *twirling around in it* Teehee. I feel so pretty :3
Dad: *twitches*
Me: And the skirt part is nice too, right? And--
Dad: Underwear!
Me: ......What? *blinks rapidly*
Dad: You are NOT wearing your normal underwear for the convention, missy.
Me: And why not?!
Dad: I will not have some guy being able to easily see your ass!
Me: .....Ugh.....
RiniSmallLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2012, 02:53 AM   #188
Maurishio-kun
You can call me Mau

My parents have no problem with my (new) hobby, the only problem is that the current costume I'm working on has a half shirt which is something my mother hates, she doesn't let my sister go to parties with bare midriff, then how would she react about my costume? Plus my granny is soo overprotective, if she looks at my costume she'd think I'd get sick from my lungs if I wear it.

CURRENT COSPLAYS

Takuto (Full Moon wo Sagashite) 25%
Takato (Digimon Tamers) 50%
Leo (Barra - Homesport Deluxe (Original) 45%
Izumi (Digimon Frontier) 50%

"There are only two things in this world that you can't change: The star we orbit and my opinion about adults"

-Annonymous-

Last edited by Maurishio-kun : 09-20-2012 at 02:57 AM.
Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2012, 07:21 AM   #189
RicanPlatano
Dechuuu~~

My dad seems to think i'm some sort of dominatrix/stripper who dresses up for people's weird fetishes. (i'm 23 and don't live with my parents but my dad has come over and seen costumes around when i'm getting ready for a con...)
Blood Elf Paladin Tier 13 - WoW
FFX - Lulu (undecided)
Code Geass - Villetta Nu (Undecided)

"He's small enough as it is, these colours would make him seem child-like."
"And what exactly is bad about that? I have no interest in anything but boys and girls under 15!"
"...I have no interest in what you do in your spare time..."
RicanPlatano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2012, 08:23 AM   #190
rajamitsu

My sister was hanging out at my house and we were, for some reason, discussing cosplay. I showed her a picture of who I was planning on dressing as next: Naoto from Persona 4. She takes one look, throws up her hands and says, "Oh my gosh! WHY do you always dress up as guys!?"

"...well, actually..."
rajamitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2012, 08:28 AM   #191
eebee

I work on costumes a lot whenever I visit my parents because I don't have a sewing machine. I usually show up with entire pieced and pinned outfits, ready to buzz through all the seams in a few hours. That means my parents always get to see at least the clothing parts of my costumes.

Last year, I was Emma Frost. Very midriff-baring, cleavage-showing, et cetera. My mom loved it, and actually helped me fit the top. I also did Dagger last year, which she didn't get to see, but which is even more revealing. This year, they got to see me work on Rogue, and my mom was amazed that I was making a costume which, as she said, "your father might actually approve of."

Chosen, In Planning:
Red (with Subject Unknown), Tempus, Azir (with sand soldier[s])

Under Construction:
Ravager
eebee is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2012, 11:07 AM   #192
Quinn The Spazz
Dr. Sexy, Vampire Hunter

I just remembered that my Nana said she wants to see my friend and I cosplay Fai and Kurogane from Tsubasa. My friend who agreed to be my Kurogane found it extremely funny XD
Unread 09-22-2012, 09:52 PM   #193
Xiellon
The Abused!

I remember my first time cosplaying as Len Kagamine xD Wasn't the best (talking about the wig only since it literally died after first use) but wasn't bad either and mom was totally confuse about what I was doing and why I was going such as.

Mom: What are you wearing?
Me: A costume.
Mom: Why?
Me: For a convention.
Mom: Clown Convention?
Me: At least they entertain me more than this conversation.
Mom: What's that suppose to mean?
Me: (You're boring.)
Xiellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2012, 12:41 AM   #194
dx7879
King of the Pirates!

The first time my dad actually saw my cosplay, he thought I was crazy. It was also due to the fact that I had just gotten some dinner with my 2 other friends, and we went back to my house too. Lol, of course my 2 friends were in costume too, but I was sitting there with a fake latex scar on my chest, and no shirt on since it was hot and I didn't want to sweat all over my cosplay costume XD

He's use to me cosplaying now, but that was one awkward moment...
dx7879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2012, 12:56 PM   #195
hikaru2322

I've scared my mom a couple times when walking around the house with a wig on. She gets startled and thinks that a stranger is in the house, it takes her a few seconds to realize that it's me XD
hikaru2322 is offline   Reply With Quote