Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 25 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-19-2012, 11:22 AM   #211
WondererBailey
Bailey's Cosplay

Hmmm...probably the first time I suggested cosplaying.
Well, I wanted to wear Edward Elric's jacket for Halloween one year and having had some rather bad experiances with "obsessions" I thought asking my mom to make it would be a tender subject. So I was like, "Mom, I'd like to wear Ed's jacket for Halloween, I won't go crazy and want the whole costume and stuff...just the jacket..."

and she was like, "Why not? I won't make it unless you do the whole costume."

my reaction... "8U Really?"

I was honestly quite shocked XD.
Though I think she kind of regrets it now because I keep asking her to make me costume parts. I've had to fend for myself cosplay wise since then, I guess I got a little to demanding XD. That and the only place locally that sells fabric is Wal-Mart and their selection bites. There's a small craft store that has fabric but you'd have to sell your soul to afford half a yard of their stuff =3=. The nearest place with a decent selection is like...three, four hours away T3T

Planned 2015 Cosplay:
Jack Walker (Pokemon movie 9) - 50%
AoS Levi - Drafting...
Jiggy Pepper - 5%
Timeskip Viral - 0%

Dream 2015 Cons: Newcon PDX - Sakuracon - Anime Expo - Kumoricon - Yaoicon

WondererBailey is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-19-2012, 01:01 PM   #212
Volkswagenbus

Unhappy

Wow, all these lovely stories about how supportive parents can be. And enthusiastic! I wish my parents were the same...They don't hate it but they never seem interested, whenever I talk about it they go misty eyed and talk like, "Mmmhmm." "That's nice..." It makes me kinda sad so I mostly never talk to them about it.
My Auntie loves it though and so do most of my friends. Oh well, at least i have them.
Volkswagenbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #213
Quinn The Spazz
Dr. Sexy, Vampire Hunter

My mom and I are going to a renaissance fair tomorrow, and I thought I'd wear my Hartia cosplay since 1) Orphen is set in a weird medieval-esque time period (aside from the washing machine Hartia mysteriously owns) and 2) every year that we go, we see people dressed as Ghostbusters, ninjas, aliens, Dr. Doom, and one year a whole steampunk society. A redhead in a blue coat and dragon necklace will not stand out too much, but I was afraid my mom would say no since it's not exactly normal or that she'll say something along the lines of "If it comes to it, I'm pretending I don't know you." (My dad said he'd do that at New York Comic Con if I act like a Spazzbag.) So I asked if I could wear Hartia, and her response:

"Yeah go ahead and have fun You're the one who has to wear it." XD That's still a yes!
Yuu Kashima-Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki Kun, Natsumura Kusaribe-Zetsuen no Tempest, Henry Branwell-The Infernal Devices books, Drusilla-Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Aziraphale-Good Omens, Woolsey Scott-The Infernal Devices books, Brokkenbroll-Un Lun Dun, Cure Passion-Fresh Pretty Cure! Q-Skyfall, Monk-Ghost Hunt, Magnus Bane-The Mortal Instruments books (various book outfits,)

Last edited by Quinn The Spazz : 12-23-2012 at 12:24 AM. Reason: idiotic typo I just now noticed
Quinn The Spazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2012, 03:41 PM   #214
wonderland-chan

This was my dads responce to seeing me in a binder for the first time:
Me: it makes no so flat
Dad: you look like a boy.
Me: I know its great.
Shutocon 2014- I don't know yet.
my da: http://therealdeathnote.deviantart.com/gallery/
wonderland-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2012, 01:10 AM   #215
AlbinoShadow

I'm pretty sure I snapped both my parents' minds years ago. Now I guess it doesn't really affect them because most of my cosplays live with me and not with them. I just send them photos whenever they ask.

Hmm. I do remember asking for an ACE bandage and my mother just said, "it's so that you can cosplay a male character, right?" I was 14 years old and slightly confused that she didn't seem concerned about her daughter wanting to cross dress.

My dad thinks that all anime characters look the same, but he deserves lots of credit for spending dozens of hours in the car listening to me babble about the history of clothing. What?! It's important!
AlbinoShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2012, 02:25 PM   #216
Ballira
Ballira

Freak? Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonfall View Post
I had some guys in a hotel shuttle (I wasn't staying in the convention hotel) say I looked like a freak. I told them "So do you!" and walked off. Actually, "drunken douchebags" is probably a better description, and I think I'd rather be a freak.

If you ever go to do cosplay in Austin you can tell them, "Thanks! Oh, and welcome to Austin where the motto is 'Keep Austin Weird'. Bye!"

Yes, that is really our city's motto. we even have Eyore's birthday so it's hard to sit there and call someone a freak when they're just wearing a costume. x3
Unread 10-22-2012, 10:52 PM   #217
Esmenet
Time to change, Changer

I wish I had an amusing story. Just recently, my mother referred to people who dress up for Halloween as Satanic, and then said cosplayers were freaks. So, she doesn't understand my hobby, and thinks, at 21 years old, that I need to "grow up already". Luckily for me, that won't ever stop me from doing what I love, which is attending conventions and dressing as my favorite characters. Thank god she's never seen any pictures, because my Pikachu cosplay would have given her a heart attack.

Work in Progress:
Rei (genderbend)-Free! [90%]
Momoi Satsuki-KnB [100%]
Nora Valkyrie-RWBY [60%]

Upcoming Cons:
Anime North
Colossalcon
Anime Expo
Gen Con
Dragon*Con
Youmacon
Esmenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2012, 12:25 AM   #218
TenTigerLilies
Phuriously Khorrupt Lily

The other day I was working on my Antonio Salieri cosplay, and sort of putting stuff on as I made it. My hair (which is blonde) was black, and I had on my dark-skin makeup and I had already done the beard, and I was wearing my white shirt, vest, scarf, etc, and when she walks in, I look up, and she doesn't even look surprised, but instead she says, "Excuse me sir, have you seen my daughter?"

XD PRICELESS.
*Ryoga Hibiki - Ranma 1/2
*Soul Eater Evans - Soul Eater
*Antonio Salieri - Mozart L'Opera Rock
*Rapunzel - Tangled

~Upcoming costumes:
*Miss Martian - Young Justice - 70%
*Monkey D. Luffy - One Piece - 60%
*Kotetsu T. Kaburagi - Tiger & Bunny - 40%
*Ryuk - Death Note - 30%
*Toph Bei Fong - Avatar: The Last Airbender - 5%
TenTigerLilies is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2012, 11:05 PM   #219
Quinn The Spazz
Dr. Sexy, Vampire Hunter

I found some old glasses my dad used when he went as Waldo for Halloween once, and asked if I could have them to modify for Mousse from Ranma 1/2. After explaining what I'd be doing to them, he asks "And how are you going to see!?"
Me: "I can't! That's the point! "
Yuu Kashima-Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki Kun, Natsumura Kusaribe-Zetsuen no Tempest, Henry Branwell-The Infernal Devices books, Drusilla-Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Aziraphale-Good Omens, Woolsey Scott-The Infernal Devices books, Brokkenbroll-Un Lun Dun, Cure Passion-Fresh Pretty Cure! Q-Skyfall, Monk-Ghost Hunt, Magnus Bane-The Mortal Instruments books (various book outfits,)
Unread 10-28-2012, 04:51 AM   #220
nerofemmebot

wow....i wish i had some good experiences...my parents think anime is satanic and when they found out i had depression (after me telling them again and again i needed help) they burnt all of my anime and manga things aswell as any and all art and art supplies....they said they were "helping" ....i still havent forgiven them quiet yet... tho now that im out of home im not as affected by their comments. my first attempt at cosplay was a neko with long buckled boots a black skirt with chinese wrap style shirt and long furry tail and ears.....my mum looked at me, complimented my boots then saw the ears and tail and promptly turned her back saying "your no daughter of mine...i dont know you anymore" that was sad :'(
Unread 10-28-2012, 08:11 PM   #221
Quinn The Spazz
Dr. Sexy, Vampire Hunter

So I cosplayed Duke Devlin at a Halloween run thing, and on the way back, my parents finally asked what was up with my hair. My wig isn't styled yet, so there's a big piece in the front that will be turned into Duke's freaky hair points but currently just looks like a forehead ponytail. I told my parents that the wig wasn't styled yet, and it will be big and pointy when it's done, to which they ask:
"and what does this character do exactly?"
Me: he throws dice at people! "
Dad: "...and wouldn't hair like that hinder his ability too...throw dice at people?"
Me: "No, because his hair is bigger and pointier and doesn't actually hang in his face. He's too sexy for that! "
Dad: "...I still don't understand your hair."
Unread 10-29-2012, 04:53 AM   #222
Tigress
Bitch-Kitty on Wheels

Response from today:

My husband's birthday is Wednesday, so my mom took us out to dinner and a movie yesterday. While we were eating, my brother ran a skit idea by me which caused me to laugh for a solid minute before he was even finished. My mom looked at us both like we had three heads and said, "Sometimes, it seems like you two are speaking in a totally different language."

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 06:05 PM   #223
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

A while back my mom was looking at some of our cosplay pictures from A-kon and saw my brother's girlfriend cosplaying Red from Pokemon and responded "Michelle looks like a boy!" To which I said "Well then we did our job right." Funny thing is, my mom is extremely used to us crossplaying. She's even helped me figure out a lot of things for some of the crossplay we've done. She's pretty desensitized to anything odd in cosplay, so I thought her reaction was kinda funny.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2012, 10:45 PM   #224
Quinn The Spazz
Dr. Sexy, Vampire Hunter

I was over at my friend's house in my Kaito (Fairy Cube) cosplay, and her dad asks "So What are you today?"
Me: I'm Kaito from Fairy Cube!
My friend: She's a weird blue haired fairy man who hangs out with Pixies
Me: And is kinda gay! (Anyone who knows me knows how much I love Fairy Cube and how much I ship KaitoXRaven.)
My friend (Who's gonna be my Raven): He is not gay!
Me: In my mind he is!
My friend: Shut up Kaito!
Friend's Dad: You said this guy hangs out with Fairies?
Us: Yep
Friend's Dad: then wouldn't he have to be at least a little bit gay?
Me: SEE!
Friend: Dad stop encouraging her yaoi!
Dad: *leaves room laughing*

And Today, my mom and I were out shopping and I found some boots for my Lui cosplay.
Me: Now I can stop borrowing your hooker boots! (My mom has these fancy boots that we jokingly call Hooker boots that I've always stolen for Ludwig in the past.)
Mom: The only reason I didn't want you wearing them was because they're too small for you!
Me: but Lui wears boots like that!
Mom: And maybe that's why he's always so mean to his butler! Because his feet hurt from his hooker boots!

XD I love how my mom has listened to my tangents about Ludwig kakumei
Unread 12-01-2012, 11:44 AM   #225
chibierwin
Tall Little Freak

Yesterday I decided to cut my wig, I told my Mom but she was talking on the phone and forgot. I was working in the bathroom and every once in a while I would put the fiber scraps in the trashcan.
Mom: "Why is there green hair in the trashcan?"
I jump out of the bathroom: "BANGS!"
Mom: "Oh. Having fun over there?"
I <3 my mom~
In Progress: Syaoran: Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles/ Yusuke Urameshi (Dark Tournament): Yu Yu Hakusho/ Yoh (Revamp): Shaman King/ Jenos Hazard: Black Cat/ Teito Klein (Mourning Robes): 07-Ghost/ Kaito Sinbad: KKJ
chibierwin is offline   Reply With Quote