Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-23-2013, 10:14 AM   #271
touchmon
Make All The Things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongInTheStorm View Post
mothers are confusing lol
Oh yes. My mom is confusing about this whole cosplay thing too. She's pretty chill about it and ignores me when I'm working on stuff in the living room(unless people are coming over). If I'm in full costume, heading for a photoshoot in the basement or something, I get very annoying comments that pretty much go, "Why is there a random person in my house" sort of thing. I even delete all of the comments she makes on my cosplay pictures on fb and she's unable to see my cosplay progress pictures because of the comments she puts on it.

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cure~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

touchmon is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-25-2013, 02:30 PM   #272
Cefsky

Dad: When are you going to get a girlfriend and stop this?
Me: I'm just going to date someone who does this too.
Dad: *walks out of room*

He says it on average about once a month lol.
Cefsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 12:53 AM   #273
sparkyDragon
The lurking dragon

Me(to my dad)- So, uh, d'you have a wooden katana I could borrow?
Dad- Yeah, in the closet. Don't paint it though. I'll have to kill you if you do.
sparkyDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 06:06 PM   #274
Quinn The Spazz
Positively ineffable

Me: So remember how we're going to New York Comic Con this year?
Dad: We're going to try, yes. Why?
Me: Well I'm trying to decide what to cosplay, which of these would you be less ashamed to be seen with? *opens up pictures of my choices*
Dad: Your mother.
Me: eh?
Dad: Oh you meant your cosplays. I thought it was between you and your mother, definitly her.
Me: Meh! Just tell me if I should be the priest with the flowers or the evil alien with a brother complex!
Samon Kusaribe-Zetsuen no Tempest, Toshio Ozaki-Shiki, Henry Branwell-The Infernal Devices books, Professor Ozpin-RWBY, Yoite-Nabari no Ou, Aziraphale-Good Omens, Woolsey Scott-The Infernal Devices books, Kaito Jeanne-Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne, Friagne-Shakugan no Shana, Monk-Ghost Hunt, Magnus Bane-The Mortal Instruments books (various book outfits,)

Last edited by Quinn The Spazz : 02-04-2013 at 05:37 AM.
Quinn The Spazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 05:57 PM   #275
MidoriUeki

My parents support me cosplaying! Even my mom allows me to have some of my cosplays custom made in Philippines! Sometimes she critiques my wig cutting and sewing. However, there are times when I find my parents being supportive proud but a bit embarrassing.

Whenever my mom and I work, she talks to her patients and when they mentioned that their kids like anime/comics/ etc, she brags about me cosplaying and sounds like she feels proud about me :P She said something like, " My daughter loves to cosplay! She sews her own costumes and goes to convetions around Vancouver. I even went to a convention in Seattle and I find it fascinating seeing people in costumes!" Her first picture at Sakura-con was her with a cosplayer as Jesus...

Another moment is before I leave home to a con, my dad always stops me EVERY time to take a picture of me a and my friends in our cosplays before we leave. And he post the pictures in FB! XD

I have more but those moments stands out the most to me!
Flutteryshy - My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
Ferb (Punk ver.) - Phineas and Ferb
Ashley (Sector Z ver.) - Kids Next Door*
Princess Celestia (Military ver.) - My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic*

Conventions 2013:
Sakura-con
San Diego Comic-con (Maybe)
Anime Revolution
Cos&Effect
MidoriUeki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 11:16 PM   #276
Little Shadow

Today I was talking to my mom about trying to find a wig for my latest cosplay, Neku from The World Ends With You. She suggested I buy a fun fur pillow, cut it apart, and make my own wig. XD
Little Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 06:57 AM   #277
BlazeofWar60
lolz

I mostly crossplay as Touhou characters:

My mom's reaction: Wow you're pretty good. You should wear makeup on that.

My dad's reaction: Err... Don't others think you're gay when you do that?
-Yeah I just laugh it off when I hear this expression from my dad. At this point I've pretty much given up on explaining the idea and up to this date he still doesn't seem to show support.

Another reaction from a friend's parents: When they saw our pictures and found out over half of the group were MtF crossplayers they "found it creepy". Yet they thought I was a girl! Laughed so hard when I heard that XD

"This world is hell, we were born into hell. That doesn't change the fact that I can find ways to enjoy it."
"It's simply a matter of choice - this world sucks to you because you choose it to be so to you."
BlazeofWar60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 11:51 AM   #278
Ron Jr

OK my turn. First off I am 53 with a 21 year old daughter (she cosplays also mostly anime & Marvel) any way my parents are in their 70's and have never been to a con or even seen me in costume. My Wife and I had decided to go to Celebration VI last summer and figured it would be a good time to also visit my folks. When I told them they were happy for the visit then to my surprise my father asked how much are tickets. Well I told him and he was taken aback and said well we won't go. So as a surprise I picked them up a pass for Saturday the busiest day. I got dressed in the parking lot (not fun) and I could see the look on my Dads face sort of a mix between disgust and WTF. Once we get to the con entry I am swamped with people wanting pics with Vader (ROTJ I am in the 501st). His look turns from disgust to amazement when he sees the respect I got from people and how happy they were to stand next to me for pics. To make him feel like a part of the con I gave him my trading cards to give to kids after the pic was taken. BTW it took over an hour for us to get to the entry line because of pic requests.
Ron Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 12:09 PM   #279
dizzymonochrome
Sarah Charade

It's taken years, but my mom has done an about-face on the cosplay front. She wasn't approving of it at first, and didn't understand it. But now she's helping me apply to a school for fashion and theatre costume design.

Costume design and fabrication
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sector6labs

Tumblr: http://sector6labs.tumblr.com

Twitter: @sector6labs http://www.twitter.com/sector6labs
dizzymonochrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 06:19 PM   #280
Ilafatyu
That guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchmon View Post
I even delete all of the comments she makes on my cosplay pictures on fb and she's unable to see my cosplay progress pictures because of the comments she puts on it.
What kind of comments does she post?

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (uniform - RWBY) - 35%
Connie (SnK) - 1%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 02:41 AM   #281
Aleatory
They call me Lady Luck.

Since I never started working on cosplay until college, my parents don't have much to say about it. When I show my mom my work and progress she's just like "Nice." and that's usually all she has to say on the matter.

My stepdad, on the other hand, is completely different and whenever I mention or work on cosplay he starts saying dumb things like "Ka-chow! Ka-chow! Jigglypop! Jigglypop!" and making fun of me for being a dork. It's all in good fun, though.

{0% 10% 20% 30% 40% 50% 60% 70% 80% 90% 100%}
Aleatory is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 12:01 PM   #282
ShaylaTheRoo
Animal Husbandry Expert

I didn't really try to do much in cosplay when I lived with my parents (didn't really have any money, and wanted to concentrate on school and stuff). But when I talk to my mom about costume ideas I'd like to try, she seems to not really say much about it, just smile and nod. It helps a little with the discussion if she has an idea of who the character is and all, though, and if it's not a "heavy sewing" idea.

We're both crafty/artsy people, we just both find other things to do most of the time and our projects a lot of times never end up coming through. It would be cool to have a project to work on with her, or find something she'd like enough to at least be enthusiastic with me about.
ShaylaTheRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 09:27 AM   #283
eebee

My mom is incredibly crafty, and I go to her all the time to get her opinions on how to make a particular prop or bit of detailing or something. There aren't a lot of craft materials she hasn't worked with at some point, and she often thinks up a strategy that hadn't occurred to me!

My dad is actually the one who taught me how to sew to begin with. He used to make Halloween costumes for my brother and I when we were little. We'd state our requests on the 20th or so, and he'd have a killer costume ready in no time. I don't think he intended for his example to lead to cosplay, but he doesn't mind. Just laughs sometimes when he visits and sees all our in-progress cosplays strewn about the living room.

Chosen, In Planning:
Carmelita Fox (with Sly Cooper), Riza Hawkeye (with Roy Mustang), Red (with Subject Unknown)

Under Construction:
Ravager, Emma Frost (with Namor, Phoenix Five editions)
eebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2013, 04:06 PM   #284
Reily96
Kimono Junkie

Yesterday I showed my mother my hakama. This is what happened.

Me: Look, it's my hakama!
Mom: Oh so that goes... under the kimono?
Me: No, you wear it over the kimono - it's a pair of pants.
Mom: And you're going to dye them red?
Me: No, the hakama is supposed to be white; the kimono is red.
Mom: ... so You're going to dye the kimono red?
Me: No, it's already red, I just have to edit it from female to male.
Mom: ...

OH MUMSY.
Kamiya Kaoru (Rurouni Kenshin) - 100%
Gakuko, Shanghai Disco ver. (Vocaloid) - 70%

For the Future:
Smaug - The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
Malon - Legend of Zelda
Snow Queen Elsa - Frozen
Reily96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2013, 09:12 PM   #285
Kagero13

My daughter is 11 years old and has been cosplaying since she was 7. I'm about to turn 42 and have been cosplaying for a few years also. My mom, when she was alive, was actually pretty supportive of my cosplaying, and even helped me sew a vest for my Yomiko Readman cosplay one year. My dad thinks I could spend my time and money on better pursuits, but he's mostly supportive and will occasionally give me and my daughter rides to meetups, since I don't drive. Last year he picked my daughter up from one of the Hetalia gatherings at AX and took her to a Mexican restaurant in East LA with some other relatives, and she kept her Canada cosplay and wig on. Since my family is Hispanic, she looked a bit out of place as the only (not really) blond kid in the crowd, and she says people kept staring at her as though she'd been kidnapped or something.
My daughter's father doesn't really get weirded out by our cosplaying, since he goes to Burning Man and makes costumes for himself and his girlfriend to wear there. So he's made a couple of the cosplays my daughter wears. I still remember the year he brought her Konata summer uniform he made for her to AX, and he was wearing a green bandana on his head so we passed him off as Zoro and no one said anything. Also, he made the Nyotalia Canada coat our daughter wore to ALA this year, and she got a lot of compliments on it.

Last edited by Kagero13 : 02-10-2013 at 09:15 PM.
Kagero13 is offline   Reply With Quote